Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

@RegH81

@YourFavGrandpa

@Abbachio

And anyone else interested in the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection on Switch. Sounds like City Connection really screwed the pooch on this one. All their ports have had lag issues but apparently the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection has 11 fucking frames of lag. That's unplayable for a shmup.

I was gonna scoop this to have a cheap copy of Cotton 2, and easy way to take them with me places to show off Shmups to other people, but this is a hard pass for me at 11 frames of input lag, I already own Cotton Boomerang on Saturn, I'm more then happy with it, but this gets under my skin because now you guys and other people either have to pass or put up with a serious flaw that will greatly hamper your enjoyment and doesnt accurately represent these games (Well at least Cotton, Guardian Force sucks imo) and the hard work Success put into them back in the day.

Man, that’s brutal. I know how hype you guys were for these ports. 
Pop Smoke Pour One Out GIF by Sidetalk

2 hours ago, Abbachio said:

Man, I caught this vid earlier and it really bummed me out as I was looking forward to it. Guess I'll just emulate them :/.

My Crimzon Clover run

Congrats man. Just finished watching this. Was a pretty good run. I think you beat my first High Score Clear by 100k or so. As you said in the description you had a couple silly deaths. When you crashed into the Carrier in Stage 5 hurt my soul as did getting Point Blank Laser Beamed by the EX Boss right after Breaking lol. I know for sure those hurt you even more lol.

My only real recommendation after watching is to break more. You had a few hairy situations that could have been avoided with a Break or a Bomb, and you left a decent number on Stars on the table due to it as well, especially in Stage 3. This is all advice for myself as well I don't Break enough and I never Bomb which is a huge mistake honestly. The other thing is you should kill some Mobs faster as they spawn extra waves. Easiest example is in Stage 1 when the very first big enemy ship shows up. Its like 30 seconds in. If you kill that ship a lot faster then you did you'll get 4 more of those big cone shield shaped ships.

Awesome run man. Good work.

Just finished the main missions (+ most or all of the side missions up to the original final boss) and the DLC main missions in Nioh. I can't believe how freaking long the game is for its style, and I haven't even done more than one region of NG+1 or messed with the Abyss yet. I really like the speed of the combat vs the usual Souls-ish stuff, certainly gives the game its own flavor. I also really enjoyed the edges that were rounded off vs souls- there's always a shortcut that gets you back to the stage bosses and most sub bosses quickly (which is all the more appreciated when there's so much instant death in the game), you're given a huge amount of combat options and playstyles, you're not locked in to any of them (respec option becomes available pretty early), there's a somewhat scarce item that lets you recover souls  amrita from your grave to take the sting out of those major losses, and there's an unbelievable amount of content to keep you busy beyond the main campaign. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet either. The ungodly amount of loot the game throws at you does get annoying- especially with the accessories, where sorting through what you want to keep is made way more messy due to the random specs on everything. You're also pretty highly incentivized to use named sets, which really dampens the appeal of all that loot even further. Overall, I'm glad I played it, and I will likely continue chipping away at side missions and whatnot for a good while- maybe I'll mess with multiplayer a bit as well. I'll get Nioh 2 eventually- not in a hurry with so much left in this one, and I really don't like to take on such massive time sinks that often. 

Any thoughts on Nioh 2 vs the first one? I'm curious as to what you think was improved or made worse.

14 hours ago, RSG3 said:

@RegH81

@YourFavGrandpa

@Abbachio

And anyone else interested in the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection on Switch. Sounds like City Connection really screwed the pooch on this one. All their ports have had lag issues but apparently the Cotton/Guardian Force Collection has 11 fucking frames of lag. That's unplayable for a shmup.

I was gonna scoop this to have a cheap copy of Cotton 2, and easy way to take them with me places to show off Shmups to other people, but this is a hard pass for me at 11 frames of input lag, I already own Cotton Boomerang on Saturn, I'm more then happy with it, but this gets under my skin because now you guys and other people either have to pass or put up with a serious flaw that will greatly hamper your enjoyment and doesnt accurately represent these games (Well at least Cotton, Guardian Force sucks imo) and the hard work Success put into them back in the day.

Here hoping for a patch to fix that shit.

18 hours ago, RSG3 said:

@RegH81

@YourFavGrandpa

@Abbachio

200.gif

Ugh. That. HURTS.  I was SO looking forward to get more COTTON but City Connection had to go and pull some BS. 11 WHOLE FRAMES OF LAG?!! Nah, mang. I need to play some SHMUPs that don't have 11 frames of lag to make me feel better.

26 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Restarted Bloodborne this weekend. 

I try to replay it every October, and remember every October how much I think Central Yharnam is a total drag. 

It's hands down my least favorite area in the game and I almost put the game down every year cause I find it miserable. 

But I pushed through, so the fun can start. 

I like the feel of the area, but goddamn do they throw you into the deep end the first time you play it. 

37 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I like the feel of the area, but goddamn do they throw you into the deep end the first time you play it. 

Yeah, the atmosphere is outstanding, the enemy design is great, but there's just a few things that seriously irk me. 

The mobs of enemies (while great for immersive story telling and world building) fucking suck to deal with when getting hit 3 times kills you. Especially when the musketeers and dogs start getting into the mix: you get hitstunned by a bullet from behind you or a dog coming out of nowhere, you're done for. 

An upside of digital- great games continue to earn for the publishers, prices stay reasonable, games stay available (when the publisher gives a shit, and barring licensing issues). All good news for everyone other than GameStop and the like. Games that get a cult response after release can get a new lease on life rather than selling for absurd prices on eBay.

"Tsujimoto went on to suggest that the focus on PC was in reaction to both an increase in digital sales of legacy titles – “Resident Evil 7 still sells over one million copies a year,” "

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/capcom-says-it-will-make-pc-its-main-platform-going-forwards/

11 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Sounds like you need better pulling strategies

I need better everything, I've not yet "got gud".

Embarrassingly, I've never beating BB. I got really, really close the first time I started playing, then I moved in with my fiancé (now wife), and didn't have the set-up or time for video games for a couple months and never came back to it. 

Every year since then I try to replay it in October with varying results... Two years ago I got to blood starved beast before I bounced off for whatever reason, and last year I played for an hour or two before giving up. 

9 minutes ago, J-ride said:

That and the long load times are why I can't make it through Bloodborne

I gotta say, the load times, while still long, are considerably shorter on PS5 which has made things less frustrating. Still wish it had a resolution and FPS upgrade tho...

Epic Games Store is getting a proper achievement system next week

The new system is much more reminiscent of what other platforms offer.

355fcb40-2529-11ec-bdef-db60bb163a13.cf.

Nearly three years after coming out to take on Steam, the Epic Games Store is about to get more robust support for achievements. Starting next week, you’ll have the chance to earn XP by completing specific tasks in select games. Some of the titles that will support the feature out of the gate include Rocket League, Hades, Pillars of Eternity and Alan Wake Remastered, with more to come later in the year.

Epic’s system includes four tiers of achievements, with each level granting you a different amount of XP. For instance, in unlocking a bronze-level accomplishment, you’ll earn between five and 45 XP, while a gold one will net you as much as 200 XP. Once you accrue 1,000 XP in a single game, you’ll earn its platinum achievement.

With the update, Epic is also rolling out new pages where you can track and share the progress you’re making towards unlocking all the goals in a specific game. You’ll also see that information displayed through the library interface.

One thing to note is that this new system is different from the developer achievements Epic implemented about a year ago. That system will continue to be there for developers who don’t want to engage with the new one, though the company says it expects “this new system will roll out [to] all developers on the Epic Games Store in the coming months.”

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-achievements-are-launching-next-week

Edited by AriesWarlock
13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

So dont feel bad sometimes it takes a couple attempts.

thanks for the encouragement, homie. 

I'm at the point where if I'm getting frustrated, i'll just take a break or come back the next day. I don't need a game pissing me off, this is what I'm supposed to be doing for fun. 

I just wish you could remap buttons in Bloodborne. I'm not a fan of the default button layout and honestly, the first couple hours are mostly me trying to get used to the controls 

It took me a some time in Dark Souls to get used to the button lay out but now that Ive gotten used to it...i kind of prefer it in a long of instances. It really does free up the face buttons for a lot of utility functions and when your combat doesnt really demand complex combos...i find it really works out, but it is something you really have to stick with and build a muscle memory for since outside other FromSoft games no one else really does it.

Reminds me of jump being on Triangle in DMC1. I fucking love it and think its brilliant cuz oyur thumbs basically always over it and jump is immediate I-Frames, but I get why lots of other people hate it since no one else puts jump on Triangle...FFXIV does only other one i can think of.

My biggest gripe with Bloodborne's button mapping is the secondary weapon being on L2 and transformation attack being on L1. 

I really wouldn't have any real gripes if those two were switched. It's just that all modern controllers have these big ol floppy triggers with a really long travel to actuation, so timing a gunshot for a parry would be a lot easier if it was on the shoulder button as apposed to the trigger. 

And since my brain draws a parallel from the heavy attack and the transformation attack, L2 being the transformation makes more sense to me. 

It happened to me more times than I would like to admit this weekend when a enemy was about to attack and I just change my weapon to two handed mode like a renob instead of actually shooting them. 

17 hours ago, Camacho said:

Any thoughts on Nioh 2 vs the first one? I'm curious as to what you think was improved or made worse.

It's basically just more of the same great stuff.

Most of the older enemies are still in on top of a lot of new ones, 4 new weapons after DLC, and new skills for all, overall better level design, LW is replaced with something more fun and less broken, the create a character is REALLY good, and honestly even the story felt better, though you still need knowledge of the sengoku era to really follow it. Oh and human boss enemy balance is a lot better, they don't just stay in LW most of the time on harder difficulties. If you've fought Date or Sanada in N1 yet you'll know what I mean.

It's a major refinement, which can be seen as good and bad.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Stranger of Paradise is cause it actually feels different while still being a Nioh game. It has new, fresh combat ideas and such but is definitely still related.

Edited by Gasarocky
51 minutes ago, Gasarocky said:

It's basically just more of the same great stuff.

Most of the older enemies are still in on top of a lot of new ones, 4 new weapons after DLC, and new skills for all, overall better level design, LW is replaced with something more fun and less broken, the create a character is REALLY good, and honestly even the story felt better, though you still need knowledge of the sengoku era to really follow it. Oh and human boss enemy balance is a lot better, they don't just stay in LW most of the time on harder difficulties. If you've fought Date or Sanada in N1 yet you'll know what I mean.

It's a major refinement, which can be seen as good and bad.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Stranger of Paradise is cause it actually feels different while still being a Nioh game. It has new, fresh combat ideas and such but is definitely still related.

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that first Sanada fight was a real motherfucker, I actually dragged my feet a bit before starting bloodshed's end due to dreading the double team fight involving him (fortunately wasn't as bad as I expected). I really didn't use LW nearly often enough, was always worried about saving it for bosses- it being tied to your bloodstain actually is a gripe of mine, basically meant you had to call back and re-build the gauge if you wanted to use it on a boss after dying. Is there less emphasis on named gear sets? I felt pretty locked in to all of my armor and one of my weapons after getting that full red demon bonus, which really squashed experimentation. 

20 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that first Sanada fight was a real motherfucker, I actually dragged my feet a bit before starting bloodshed's end due to dreading the double team fight involving him (fortunately wasn't as bad as I expected). I really didn't use LW nearly often enough, was always worried about saving it for bosses- it being tied to your bloodstain actually is a gripe of mine, basically meant you had to call back and re-build the gauge if you wanted to use it on a boss after dying. Is there less emphasis on named gear sets? I felt pretty locked in to all of my armor and one of my weapons after getting that full red demon bonus, which really squashed experimentation. 

Armor sets in general have less melee damage bonuses and tend to be less specialized in N2, but honestly unless you're in Way of the Strong, you haven't really seen the build potential of N1 anyway.

Most builds are combinations of sets, using the Yasakani accessory, as it reduces set costs by 1, so it really enables mixed sets, but you don't get one on the first difficulty IIRC. And then Way of the Wise(4th difficulty) adds a whole bunch of new sets with a new rarity level beyond Divine, and those sets are also often mixed.

Red Demon is just a very easy to use set in your first run, but mixed sets outclass full sets.

I'd say N2 doesn't have any clear first run sets that are best but mixed sets being king is still the case. But again, can't really do that til you've finished the first difficulty

Edited by Gasarocky

More and more with how remakes get butchered, first Act Raiser, and now Cotton I glad for Emulation and FPGA

I got a portable set up for a MiSTer FPGA. I shoved a DE 10 Nano into a Raspad 3(they are intended for the Raspberry Pi 4).
It's not quite a hand held as it's lacking controls, but it got USB ports and Bluetooth dongles work with it.
And like the Switch I can connect it to an HD TV. 

So I still got my On the go Cotton Fix if I needed to. 

Edited by DarkSakul

At least Super Monkey Ball Banana mania looks good

Stages from Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 is there, but I would call this a new game with levels from those titles rather than a compilation. 
Also apparently if you are a old school Super Monkey Ball player, you got to unlearn what you learn as the physics are different.

Edited by DarkSakul
2 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Not picking up the Cotton games on Switch because of the input lag issue. That might turn into a maybe if they knock it down quite a bit, but they would basically have to perform dark wizardry to get me to buy it.

All they have to do for me is fix it. Get the Frames down to around 3 or 4 and I will buy it.

And I get what you are saying Darksakul but the Cotton Reboot is actually really good.

Edited by RSG3

one last Smash character reveal...maybe...

random Tetris Blocks?

"Slipice" from the original Mario Bros.?

that turd boss monster from the Conker's game?

a boulder from Dig Dug?

the big purple dildo from the Saint's Row franchise? (since it will be missing from the new one because the new game will be PUSSY shit)

that "I am Error." npc from the old Zelda game.

a clump of Peach's pubic hair.

...sheeeittt, all of these would be far more interesting and appealing choices than the shitty Minecraft guy.

Edited by MillionX
23 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, the atmosphere is outstanding, the enemy design is great, but there's just a few things that seriously irk me. 

The mobs of enemies (while great for immersive story telling and world building) fucking suck to deal with when getting hit 3 times kills you. Especially when the musketeers and dogs start getting into the mix: you get hitstunned by a bullet from behind you or a dog coming out of nowhere, you're done for. 

Yharnam almost requires a bit of stealth when you're just getting started. But it's actually a pretty good tutorial area that will help you pull your strats together for the rest of the game. 

Like @RSG3said, I'm down to coop sometime, that would be fun all three of us playing.