Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

33 minutes ago, MillionX said:

It's a shame that in terms of videogames... the Castlevania IP may as well just be considered a dead franchise at this point.

The show was good tho🤷‍♀️

I do find it really strange that when side scrolling platform adventure games were having a huge boom in the last decade with indy developers, Konomi didn't think to put something out there, or even go the Sega route and have a capable and passionate external dev team take the reigns. 

They did, however, rerelease rondo of blood and SoTN like 14 times in that timeframe. 

12 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This mentality that some major companies have that they gotta put out a big budget $60/$70 kills me.  Like they can't just make a good game and have it be priced accordingly.   Sega just seems to be figuring that out what with Sonic Mania and SoR4, I'm just waiting for the other companies to start wising up that they just have a small team do something slightly experimental/not super expensive and still make decent profit on it while they're have the bigger stuff cooking in the background.  Konami doesn't even have to try to make a huge budget title, if they announced a new Castlevania and it was $20/$30 digital release first (and it was actually good with people who cared about that IP...which I'm not even sure Konami has at this point) then I'd be down to buy that.  I think most people would...hell Bloodstained PROVED this.

Bloodstained was a new IP though, there are fewer expectations tied to that, hence more freedom. 

I agree with you, but I think there are fan expectations and company expectations to grapple with though I would argue that even the GBA and DS Castlevania games were an example of what you're talking about so it shows that it can work for them if done right.

I think their mentality is, "if we spend a lot and it gets bad reviews then we're done, whereas a low effort title could potentially print money but if it doesn't, we haven't lost much." Konami isn't the same company they were back in the 90s, hell even in the 2010s. I'm waiting to see what happens with Getsu Fuma Den, but I'm keeping my expectations low. But like I said, both this Contra game and Castlevania Grimoire Of Souls had the potential to be really excellent non-gatcha games if they did them that way. 

6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Maybe it’s because I am not a journalist, but that doesn’t seem like a good thing to withhold from people.

Well, it sorta comes down to ethics, I reckon. 

If someone told him about someone else getting harassed, then he needs to get in contact with the person that was on the receiving end and corroborate the story and get permission before publishing anything, purely from a good reporting and ethical point of view. 

These people may not of wanted it to get out, especially if they still worked there, cause it could result in their employer actively looking for a reason to shit-can them or cause more harassment.  

Plus a "he said/she said" situation are easy to sweep under the rug and move on from without any real consequences. If you really want to expose the whole issue, you  typically need repeated offenses and several witnesses/victims. The DFEH has been investigating for months (if not years) at this point, with the power of government behind them. 

22 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Maybe it’s because I am not a journalist, but that doesn’t seem like a good thing to withhold from people.

image0.jpg

They have to be able to prove it or they leave themselves open to legal action. Often times, the people that tell them these things won't go on the record for fear of losing their jobs. If they aren't willing to come forward the journalist and/or the publication they work for is screwed if the accused party decides to bring a lawsuit. That's why a lot these things go on for so long. 

I still think its funny how people care so much about these development companies and what goes on in their offices.  I dont give a shit.  Fuck'em.  Any dev company or whatever can go away for all I care.  Someone will replace them.

So I finished Boomerang X and I'm doing the New Game +.  Never did a new game + before.  Its fun and its pretty tough.

57 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

These people may not of wanted it to get out, especially if they still worked there, cause it could result in their employer actively looking for a reason to shit-can them or cause more harassment.  

48 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They have to be able to prove it or they leave themselves open to legal action. Often times, the people that tell them these things won't go on the record for fear of losing their jobs.

Thank you for the insight. This screenshot is spreading around Twitter with people wondering ‘if he can break NDA to leak stuff, why wouldn’t he come out with this sooner?’ I didn’t realize the consequences of doing it too soon for the victims.

42 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I still think its funny how people care so much about these development companies and what goes on in their offices.  I dont give a shit.  Fuck'em.  Any dev company or whatever can go away for all I care.  Someone will replace them.

And mentalities like this is why shit like what’s happening right now goes unchecked for so long

Edited by iStu X
19 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

.but not much for these companies that dont do much other than take my money.

It's not the CEOs getting harassed. 

It's the average Joes that wanted to make video games, make $45K (maybe) a year. Mr. Blizzard CEO isn't the one being groped by drunk assholes and having his nudes shared around the office, it's the internal tester or sound designer that just wanted to work in videogames cause they had a passion for it. 

edit: now those people have to find a new job cause the whole studio is imploding, which totally sucks. 

Edited by KingTubb

7 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Y'all a bunch of sissies.  And you above me...you just a weirdo.  You use to not be sissies but somehow you turned into sissies.  Oh well.  Its good.  Pity these poor bitches in the office for whatever reasons and hate some dudes holding a picture of Dr. Huxtable.  Them mofos put out shitty games anyway.

There's a difference between being a sissy and just being a decent human being.  Your take is not from someone who would be considered decent.

2 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Y'all a bunch of sissies.  And you above me...you just a weirdo.  You use to not be sissies but somehow you turned into sissies.  Oh well.  Its good.  Pity these poor bitches in the office for whatever reasons and hate some dudes holding a picture of Dr. Huxtable.  Them mofos put out shitty games anyway.

Nah, you just a terrible person man. Your hatred for a company is more valuable to you that the well being of the people that work there. Most people that work there are just like us. Average schmoes that just get up, go to work, and pay their bills. They are not seeing that money you are concerned with. They aren't multimillionaires crying about getting another 100k. This situation is the type of thing that brings down the people that do make the millions and do make the decisions that gives us these crappy games you value over your fellow man.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Bloodstained sold itself as being Castlevania with the serial numbers filed off. It rode the coattails of another IP legacy.

Sure but it still didn't say "Castlevania" on the cover. When that's the case, people have expectations, like all the folks who got onboard with the series saying that Lords Of Shadow "isn't Castlevania" because they all had their own expectations of what the series was to them. 

Even though Bloodstained was billed as a spiritual successor, it still got to skirt some of those expectations because it was something new being done by a new studio. 

32 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Sure but it still didn't say "Castlevania" on the cover. When that's the case, people have expectations, like all the folks who got onboard with the series saying that Lords Of Shadow "isn't Castlevania" because they all had their own expectations of what the series was to them. 

Even though Bloodstained was billed as a spiritual successor, it still got to skirt some of those expectations because it was something new being done by a new studio. 

The Mighty No 9 wasn't given that benefit and marketed itself similarly to Bloodstained

mannnn... I remember that For Honor looked so cool when I first saw it... I was fully on board... and then I found out it was online-only, multiplayer focused sort of thing.  That's one case where this info immediately killed any chances of them getting my money.  I still hate the fact that I've made an exception for certain games on this issue (Outriders, Anthem, pc-version Diablo 3, Warframe.)

On another note--- the combo/damage meter for points is easy enough to run up with Floyd, I see...just due to the nature of his star move being a 'PROTONNNN CANNON!", which even hits behind you as well.... I've been back playing this character again lately, and it's great fun.  Sheeeittt, he's the cooler version of MK2 Jax, imo.

On another note... this one caught my attention lately:

51 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I disagree. This games kickstarter and hype was all about how this was basically the proper SOTN 2 Konami never let him make. He threw a damn wine glass in the kickstarter promotional video like Dracula lmao. 

The entire hype was this was a console sized SOTN sequel. Tons of these open world 2D games are made every year but none of then get the hype or recognition Bloodstained did and it had to do with the legacy of the Director and his work on Castlevania. 

Edited by RSG3
31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The Mighty No 9 wasn't given that benefit and marketed itself similarly to Bloodstained

I can't really speak to that one, I don't know much about it. Branding makes a difference in what people expect though and I'm sure there was a degree of polish that people were willing to excuse because these games weren't coming from Capcom or Konami.

18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I disagree. This games kickstarter and hype was all about how this was basically the proper SOTN 2 Konami never let him make. He threw a damn wine glass in the kickstarter promotional video like Dracula lmao. 

The entire hype was this was a console sized SOTN sequel. Tons of these open world 2D games are made every year but none of then get the hype or recognition Bloodstained did and it had to do with the legacy of the Director and his work on Castlevania. 

IGA's a bit of a one trick pony in terms of what kinds of games he makes, so when he's at the helm, you know exactly what you're getting. Sure, he did all the "Hey, you remember I made SoTN, right?" with his marketing, but we played his games for the better part of 15 years, so it's not like he even needed to do that for us all to know what Bloodstained was going to be.

Regardless, as good as Bloodstained is, it was hardly a polished effort, the game had tons of bugs, glitches, and errors that the team spent a lot of time fixing and patching out. That sort of polish takes a good sized budget to iron out for a game that ambitious, and I think if it were made under Konami, they'd have had the time and or budget to polish it more. But because it was considered an "indie" title, no one really expected that or at least gave them a pass (I did.)

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I can't really speak to that one, I don't know much about it. Branding makes a difference in what people expect though and I'm sure there was a degree of polish that people were willing to excuse because these games weren't coming from Capcom or Konami.

IGA's a bit of a one trick pony in terms of what kinds of games he makes, so when he's at the helm, you know exactly what you're getting. Sure, he did all the "Hey, you remember I made SoTN, right?" with his marketing, but we played his games for the better part of 15 years, so it's not like he even needed to do that for us all to know what Bloodstained was going to be.

Regardless, as good as Bloodstained is, it was hardly a polished effort, the game had tons of bugs, glitches, and errors that the team spent a lot of time fixing and patching out. That sort of polish takes a good sized budget to iron out for a game that ambitious, and I think if it were made under Konami, they'd have had the time and or budget to polish it more. But because it was considered an "indie" title, no one really expected that or at least gave them a pass (I did.)

I give everyone the chance to fix their shit. It's why I still play Cyberpunk 2077. 

But Bloodstained wouldn t have garnered half the attention it did without the known legacy of its director and what he was wanting to do. I mean really Bloodstained did so well because it's the Castlevania everyone likes instead of the Castlevania only some of us like (You and I got ours with Curse of the Moon thank god.)

23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I give everyone the chance to fix their shit. It's why I still play Cyberpunk 2077. 

But Bloodstained wouldn t have garnered half the attention it did without the known legacy of its director and what he was wanting to do. I mean really Bloodstained did so well because it's the Castlevania everyone likes instead of the Castlevania only some of us like (You and I got ours with Curse of the Moon thank god.)

Yeah I still play Bloodstained on Switch and I think it runs fine for the most part. And I agree that IGA's legacy played a part in it, but again, that legacy is more for SoTN than anything else he's done.

I still need to get around to playing CotM2.

31 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

but again, that legacy is more for SoTN than anything else he's done.

Well I've been saying Bloodstained is Symphony 2 the whole time so.......>.>

32 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I still need to get around to playing CotM2.

As do I. Haven't even bought it yet. Need to scoop the physical. 

I've been playing Adventure mode in Mario Golf and made it pretty far.  For most of it, you just go to new areas and compete in different types of tournaments to level up and progress to the next course. 

But then things got fucking weird.  All of a sudden Wario and WaLuigi are drunk and getting struck by lightning while trying to steal a sword, and I have to battle a Lightning God with my fucking golf clubs.  THEN I have to fight a fire bird to steal his fire gem so I can revive Bowser's castle because an evil snowman froze it while Bowser was sleeping because his fire caused global warming, which woke up a tree with sleepy pollen that put him to sleep.  So now I have to battle a snowman, but in order to get there I have to play through Bowser's castle golf course against Wario and WaLuigi.

What the fuck is this game?

46 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Well I've been saying Bloodstained is Symphony 2 the whole time so.......>.>

As do I. Haven't even bought it yet. Need to scoop the physical. 

By that logic, so is Harmony of Dissonance, or Aria of Sorrow, or Dawn. Symphony is Symphony, the game was lightning in a bottle and while I think Bloodstained might be the SoTN killer in a lot of ways, there's a certain "awareness" the game has to it that SoTN doesn't.

Yeah I have it on my wishlist but I've been trying to knock out some of my backlog before i buy anything new and since that Tetris Effect Connected Beta, I put down Dark Souls which I need to pick back up. 😛

5 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

And I still dont give a shit.  Let it go on.  Shit was fine.  People just wanna get paid.  And there are plenty of suckers like y'all to feel sorry for them and get them paid.

4 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

stare GIF

Is this motherfucker serious...?