Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

39 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Today I learned that David Jaffe, creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, has a YouTube channel and is currently using it to bash Metroid Dread.

I was slightly interested in it before but with his input, I now know this game is  probably great.

Maaaaann...there are people actually legit defending this?  I knew about the clip but I just started looking in the twitter thread.

I can't 'BRUH' hard enough at this.

Edit: I am loving the fact that people are actually pointing out the game design is working as it's supposed to as I mentioned in the Metroid thread plus the tutorial literally tells you to shoot the walls if if you hit a dead end.

Edited by Sonichuman
31 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Edit: I am loving the fact that people are actually pointing out the game design is working as it's supposed to as I mentioned in the Metroid thread plus the tutorial literally telling you to shoot the walls if if you hit a dead end.

People have to shoot walls just to reach that area. When you reach Cataris for the first time you can't go through the doors because of the super heated areas. Gonna shoot the wall to the left of the elevator to proceed. These people are braindead

Edited by Hawkingbird
15 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Maaaaann...there are people actually legit defending this?  I knew about the clip but I just started looking in the twitter thread.

Edit: I am loving the fact that people are actually pointing out the game design is working as it's supposed to as I mentioned in the Metroid thread plus the tutorial literally telling you to shoot the walls if if you hit a dead end.

Jaffe is an exploration scrub. I mean this is the guy who plasters big ass buttons on the screen of his action games so you know when you can do the cool thing. 

Subtlety is not this man's bread and butter. This guys main protagonist had to be covered in the ashes of his dead family before it dawned on him that wantonly murdering randoms was a stupid thing to do lol. 

Edited by RSG3
5 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Subtlety is not this man's bread and butter. This guys main protagonist had to be covered in the ashes of his dead family before it dawned on him that wantonly murdering randoms was a stupid thing to do lol. 

Ehh, that is a very reductive way to describe Kratos and the situation.

He is a spartan, doing what his culture and his god asks him to do.

His city state is not the only one participating on wars on that world.

There is much more layers and depth to the whole situation than that.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Ehh, that is a very reductive way to describe Kratos and the situation.

He is a spartan, doing what his culture and his god asks him to do.

His city state is not the only one participating on wars on that world.

There is much more layers and depth to the whole situation than that.

It's reductive but it's also rather on point. It's a bit of both. The character got fleshed out a good deal more in games after Jaffe as well. 

47 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Who da fuck is David Jaff and why should I care what he thinks about Dread?  Fuck that guy.

I still want a switch.

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Today I learned that David Jaffe, creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, has a YouTube channel and is currently using it to bash Metroid Dread.

I was slightly interested in it before but with his input, I now know this game is  probably great.

Edited by Sonichuman
10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

It's reductive but it's also rather on point. It's a bit of both. The character got fleshed out a good deal more in games after Jaffe as well. 

Hard disagree on that.

Kratos was a really fleshed character from the start.

People now days meme him like he was just a violent brutish dude, but from the very first game, you could see he was more than that.

For starters, the game starts with him trying to commit suicide, and over the course of it you can see many sides of him beside the killing machine he is.

Like on the section where he has to defend his wife and daughter of shadow doplegangers of himself, all while sacrificing his own health to restore theirs.

The way he sacrifices his stay on Elysium to save the living world from Persefone, all while pushing her daughter away from him on one of the PSP games.

I find amusing how people now want to pretend that it was the PS4 game that fleshed him out, when he was all what they praise from the very 1st game.

Edit

I posted the post reply by accident on my phone T_T

His tale was the one of a person who was from the start set to become a tool for the gods, a classic greek tragedy, you see how he is manipulated by all the entities to try to push their goals, the games have multiple instances of high action pieces and quiet moments so we can see him introspect his situation and the events happening around him, revealing more about him each time.

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I find amusing how people now want to pretend that it was the PS4 game that fleshed him out, when he was all what they praise from the very 1st game.

I was actually counting from 2 onward when Barlog took over, but for me that still stops at like 3. I never played a GOW after 2. I watched my brother play 3 and that's where my GOW knowledge ends. I liked 1 but I remember him being rather 1 dimensional and got a good fleshing out in 2 and 3 kept moving the needle forward. 

I dunno shit about PS4 GOW, I never played that one so it doesn't actually factor into my assessment at all cuz I dunno anything other then surface level about it, like setting and BOY!

Edited by RSG3
39 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I was actually counting from 2 onward when Barlog took over, but for me that still stops at like 3. I never played a GOW after 2. I watched my brother play 3 and that's where my GOW knowledge ends. I liked 1 but I remember him being rather 1 dimensional and got a good fleshing out in 2 and 3 kept moving the needle forward. 

I dunno shit about PS4 GOW, I never played that one so it doesn't actually factor into my assessment at all cuz I dunno anything other then surface level about it, like setting and BOY!

Fair enough.

I wasn't really saying it was you especifically, but something that irks me nowdays is that after GOW 2018, many people now want to claim that GOW became good until that game, and that the previous games were shallow, the same for Kratos.

I still remember how one journo on a review (i think it was either ign or polygon) said that they (the devs) turned water into wine with that game, and when a co host asked if he played the old games, he replied that he only played the demo of 3.

The only reason why Kratos from 2018 char developement has meaning is because we saw the journey of Kratos from the other games, and the thing is that his character is consistent with how he was on those games, since the only difference is that now he appears calmer (and tbh, it was only on 3 where he was a pile of rage due all the betrayals and the fact that the world was contaminated by the evils of the pandora's box, not to mention, is his lowest point since he has been robbed from his humanity multiple times by the gods, and titans.)

One thing I will say too about Metroid Dread, is that I literally thought about this, multiple times, while playing the game...

I said to myself that there is no way in hell an American company could make level designs as complex and intertwined to work as perfectly as it does in Metroid Dread.  It's just not something any American company can do and it's the kind of ingenious ideas that only Japanese developers could ever come up with.

And I'm not at ALL into a lot of Japanese stuff just because it's Japanese.  I just feel that it's got this quality to the design that is something unparalleled to anything seen before and I don't believe any American dev has the ability to do something of this quality.

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

One thing I will say too about Metroid Dread, is that I literally thought about this, multiple times, while playing the game...

I said to myself that there is no way in hell an American company could make level designs as complex and intertwined to work as perfectly as it does in Metroid Dread.  It's just not something any American company can do and it's the kind of ingenious ideas that only Japanese developers could ever come up with.

And I'm not at ALL into a lot of Japanese stuff just because it's Japanese.  I just feel that it's got this quality to the design that is something unparalleled to anything seen before and I don't believe any American dev has the ability to do something of this quality.

Mercury Steam is a company from Spain. Though I'm sure they had some help by Nintendo's producers. 

19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Mercury Steam is a company from Spain. Though I'm sure they had some help by Nintendo's producers. 

Yeah it was more the "no way an American company could do this" than "it had to be Japanese" lol.

I was assuming Japanese since it's Metroid on Nintendo and I assumed they did it all.

So I saw a tweet from Jaffe that came through my feed that made me go "....really man?....come on now..." and decided to just fact check the tweet on his actual twitter just to make sure that he did in fact tweet it....

My guy....come on man...

And looking through his tweets it looks like he's been flame shielding it up since he first put up that section was bad game design.  Looks like he even deleted the game off the switch and redownloaded it lol.

Just take the L Jaffe.  It's not that hard.  I respect you as a developer and the work you've done but there's nothing wrong with this room.  You have be among the smallest % of people who didn't instinctively shoot up at the ceiling separating the room.  Even if that enemy wasn't up there to force a potential accidental shot up there there's still the game telling you in the beginning that walls were breakable and there's clearly a room up there that looks inaccessible at first glance by 1 beam block breakable wall height.  If you're not shooting that ceiling on instinct at this point in the game then I don't know what to tell you.   You even admit yourself that you suck at games...and that's fine just don't blame the game for this.  Just take the L.

Man sheeeitttt, anytime I see another trailer for that Power Rangers fighting game, it keeps reminding me of how great a Power Rangers "Dynasty Warriors" style thing could be.  A lot of folks got tired of that genre a long time ago but I never did.  If anyone makes a proper Power Rangers game in that genre with huge cast of playable heroes and villains, it's definitely a day one purchase for me, easyyyy.  

I'd start the Ranger characters off in regular clothes and have the Ranger form be a transformation, but no time-limits or anything, you just transform and stay that way until maybe you get too beat up or something...like the enemies have to knock you out of that forms HP to drop you down to "normal human fighter" status....but if you build meter with a comeback you could transform again.  Naturally your super/EX moves would be stuff like the upgraded forms, e.g. "SWAT Mode" from the SPD era.... or any Red Ranger's "Battlelizer" form....then you could have some specials where the rest of your team shows up to do that combo team-up attack.  "Ultimate" moves could be something even more flashy than that....some involving the Zords and Megazords and all that.  Basically it would just be all the ideas lifted from this fighting game but used in the Dynasty Warriors-style game.  The blue-print is already there, folks.  Someone needs to make this magic happen.

man, it brings back so many memories... I had to check one of my favorite intro/themes again... Ninja Storm was one of the best seasons, and had one of the best intro themes.

Favorite of all time though...I'd lean towards that Zeo theme

Edited by MillionX

I'm about 5 hours into the Last of Us 2 and I gotta say...

I'm digging it. I feel like I understand what they're trying to do and I applaud them for it. It's not "perfect" by any means but I don't think that it's the burning bag of dogshit that a portion of the internet thinks it is. 

I actually enjoy the writing and character interactions a good bit. The gameplay is fine. It's been 6ish years since I played the first one, but it feels like it plays more or less exactly the same. Shooting a guy in the head still feels super weighty, sneaking is tense, and scavenging and crafting is a think you have to do and feels a little bit like a chore. 

All in all I'm pretty excited to go through the whole game. 

Edited by KingTubb
9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

So I saw a tweet from Jaffe that came through my feed that made me go "....really man?....come on now..." and decided to just fact check the tweet on his actual twitter just to make sure that he did in fact tweet it....

LOL.

Seven Sirens is literally the last Switch game I had played prior to Metroid Dread (okay maybe not - I have played Cruisn Blast too).

I played it and beat it in August.  It was like 7-8 hours probably.  I was a fun and solid game for sure.  Very easy and straight forward.  I don't even think I died once.  Maybe I did at a boss or something, I can't even remember.

BUT ... it is nowhere NEAR the same realm as Metroid Dread.  Like they aren't even close to being on the same level.  At all.

I paid $30 for Seven Sirens and thought it was a fair price and worth it.  I would not have paid a penny more.

I paid $60 for Dread and kind of wish I got the steelbook CE now at $90 just because I'm a sucker for steelbooks and am liking it more than I anticipated.

Edited by purbeast
4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

@Chadouken

After 4 years, i re installed Density 2 and played the 1st mission of the new season and 3 crucible matches to check how the game is going due some friends pestering me.

I doubt i would stay on it, but gonna play some days to give it a chance.

I've been trying to get back into Destiny 2. There is so much content that I've missed out on. Playing at 4K 60 on PS5 is nice though. I don't have to mess with the PC version now. Heck multiplayer runs at 120fps.....but my tv is only 60hz....

Edit: Also the difference between Bungie Destiny 2 and Activision Destiny 2 is night in day. No more consumable shader BS. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
11 hours ago, Chadouken said:

That dude would hate the original Metroid on NES 😂

I consider myself a Metroid fan and I even hate the original. Mostly because at the time you would either have to map it out or use the terrible password system to beat it.  It was cool but I got lost as a kid when my older cousin let me play and couldn't understand the password system so whatever progress I made would be gone unless he was there to take down or put in the password.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

I consider myself a Metroid fan and I even hate the original. Mostly because at the time you would either have to map it out or use the terrible password system to beat it.  It was cool but I got lost as a kid when my older cousin let me play and couldn't understand the password system so whatever progress I made would be gone unless he was there to take down or put in the password.

Did you Justin Bailey  your way through it too? 

---------------

I think the original has a lot of charm people don't acknowledge these days. Yes the password system was awful and it's got a wild map, but it's still good in its own right. 

Edited by DoctaMario
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Did you Justin Bailey  your way through it too? 

---------------

I think the original has a lot of charm people don't acknowledge these days. Yes the password system was awful and it's got a wild map, but it's still good in its own right. 

Hell yes we did. I tried years later to beat it when it was a freebee for being a 3DS early adopter but even with janky save states the NES games had on the system I couldn't slog my way through.