Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Man David Jaffe's Ls are almost as entertaining as Dread. 🤣

See this right here is what I'm talking about when people who just refuse to take the L no matter what and it just makes it unnecessarily worse.  He could have just learned from it and kept it in mind moving forward and went about enjoying the rest of the game.   But no...we got the Black Knight from Monty Python over here with no arms and legs.

4 hours ago, Scanman said:

Getting a Switch for Christmas.

Can I get some recommendations?

I was going to get MarioKart for sure. The Switch has a pretty big library.

Thanks gents.

what do you like? what do you hate? makes it easier to recommend you something. 

I am BARELY starting NMH3 as I never played Travis Strikes Back years ago. 

On top of all the other games I mentioned that I'm torn between... there's Destroy All Humans as well.. I was juts playing that one a while ago; such a great time, that one.  I'm at the point now where "Majestic" agents are on the scene too, so I have to deal with the police, military and Majestic whenever shit hits the fan....but Crypto has so many abilities in his favor; you can even use people as weapons via the telekinesis.  There's also the ability of "holobob" where you take on the appearance of anyone else, so you can walk around town unnoticed.  At this point, there's the regular "lightning" gun, the one that shoots fire, some bomb/detonator gun....and of course, the infamous "anal probe" beam....haha that never stops being funny.  Yes, the people still shit on themselves too.  Anyway, Crypto has so much going on here with abilities and weapons....it's too much fun.  I double-dipped on this one so I have it on Switch too.  It was one of my favorite games of that "original Xbox" era.

*Diablo 3--- this week's challenge rift is a Necromancer simulacrum/Masquerade set build!  Sheeeitttt, that's too easy since I'm already familiar with how that build plays so I jumped on it right away.  An old friend who finally stopped playing D3 doesn't quite know what he's missing out on there; he never got into the season stuff... the materials/rewards you get just from the challenge rifts are quite nice.  

Edited by MillionX

Tried out a game called Into the Pit earlier.  Its pretty fun.  Its a fast arena style fps rogue style game.  You use magik instead of guns it seems.  Its ugly but its pretty.  I dunno...makes my eyes burn and water though.  There is some story/lore to the game but...fuck it I just wanted to blast stuff.

JypbuGN.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1422410/Into_the_Pit/

Yea i got there and decided I just kinda don't care. Like bro, Dread is built on 35 years of Metroid game design, and this one does a decent job of arming you with the knowledge you need to finish the game. Maybe not get 100%, theres some ShineSpark shit they dont tell you, but enough to finish the game, and like exploring how ShineSparking works goes hand in hand with the environment exploration. They give you enough to ShineSpark properly and its up to you to test it out and find out what else it can do. Games like "Hey shoot walls with missiles" in its tutorial so even if he didn't shoot the enemy planted there to get his attention the fucking dead end itself should tip him off to start testing the environment.

Like seriously my reaction to all of this is "Heaven forbid you have to poke the fucking environment from time to time. Such TERRIBLE game design."

well, this was unexpected... there was a patch for Vampyr ---enhanced performance on the new-gen consoles...

I'm still just hoping for a sequel for it some day... perhaps the further adventures of Dr. Reid a few decades later.... it's an interesting story-telling advantage of vampire characters; since they are immortal, you can use the same characters in any time period and it will make sense.  I wouldn't go to modern day though...perhaps jump over to the 1950s or 60s.  

8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Yea i got there and decided I just kinda don't care. Like bro, Dread is built on 35 years of Metroid game design, and this one does a decent job of arming you with the knowledge you need to finish the game. Maybe not get 100%, theres some ShineSpark shit they dont tell you, but enough to finish the game, and like exploring how ShineSparking works goes hand in hand with the environment exploration. They give you enough to ShineSpark properly and its up to you to test it out and find out what else it can do. Games like "Hey shoot walls with missiles" in its tutorial so even if he didn't shoot the enemy planted there to get his attention the fucking dead end itself should tip him off to start testing the environment.

Like seriously my reaction to all of this is "Heaven forbid you have to poke the fucking environment from time to time. Such TERRIBLE game design."

There were a few items that were tough to get and part of the rewarding feeling when I got them was figuring out the tricks needed that were never told to me by the game. I hate it when games hand hold which is so common now a days.

Edited by purbeast
On 10/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, iStu X said:

Honestly I feel a Superman game would be hard. Any Superman fan worth their salt knows Superman is at his best when he isn’t being Superman. His appeal isn’t about the powers, unbridled strength, fighting the villain of the week or saving the universe. it’s about his humanity and how we can be anyones Superman with a little love, compassion and a friendly ear 

True but I honestly speculate that it isn't just that aspect of things. With the rise of technology setting up a game where you can have all or most of Superman's powers is doable, heck from the comics you can pull half a dozen scenarios which bring his powers into serviceable range for drama. But I think one of the biggest issues with getting a Superman game is of you make it too free or add destructible environments then you can have a less then noble or just destructive Superman and outside of Injustice I think the Warner heads are not keen on that being available for players to recreate the Man of Steel ending fight. Cutscenes and such I am sure are fine but a game with Superman's name/brand where he flies folk in the air and drops them is likely a no no. But in today's landscape that is what players want and would do.

Right on, that God of War game is coming to Steam.  Get to try that one out.  I actually was never really interested in it till earlier this year when I finally watched some gameplay.  Looked pretty fun and lot of y'all say its pretty great, so, I'm happy to get to try it out.

Getting Bloodborne on Steam doesn't seem like wishful thinking so much as it did before.  Make it happen Sony or whoever can make it happen. 

P.S.  Souldiers does look damn fun.  Put that on my wishlist but there is no release date for it.  Just have to keep an eye out.

Tried out a few different games last night.  They were pretty cool.  A couple of them aren't really the kind of games I'm into but I enjoyed what little I played of them.

Just saw this game and it looks pretty cool.  I like music style games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1111600/Klang_2/

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

Just on the first 2 or 3 seconds of action they showed in Souldiers they had me.  That's absolutely bought ASAP when it comes out.

This just reminded me of the game Blight Bound I got recently... that one was a bit of a disappointment.  It's not horrible, but there's a few frustrating/annoying things I'd change about it... like the dungeons just seem to drag a bit in terms of pace of the action, like they should be shorter....and if I recall it seems like you get nothing if you die at any point on a run, which of course doesn't inspire one to keep playing... the player should never feel like their time was straight up wasted in a game.  I was hoping that game would've been like a new-era Dragon's Crown...at least somewhat on the same level of greatness, but sadly it just doesn't quite hit the mark for me.  

...would be nice if Dragon's Crown got remade or re-released yet again so more people could enjoy it.  That game deserves to be enjoyed by as many people as possible for a long time.  heh, I remember those good ol' times I had with the glitched Dwarf being nearly invincible due to the 2 hammers/"pump up" ability glitch...basically it made it so he only takes 1 point of damage from any attack while "pumped up"...haha it was silly.  Yeah I abused that situation for a long time, purposely dodging the update the fixed it....good times were had there.

Holy fuck Dread IS that fucking good.

Samus moves so smoothly and quickly, it's incredible how great it feels to control her. And the melee stuff adds just the right amount of panache. I love that countering bosses gets you a cinematic where you actually attack AS the little animation is playing out. So sick.

The atmosphere and art design is fucking on point too. Coolest power suit so far. I love the ankle guards sliding up and down to account for crouching.

Map design is really interesting too, you really go all over the place.

This is actually my first 2D Metroid, I'd only played the Prime series before this.

From a visual stanpoint I think Samus animations in Dread really impress me the most. She moves so fluid and convincingly. She just hops over knee high blocks in a swift smooth and fluid motion. If you press against a wall or a door she'll put her hand up to brace herself, but if you press up against a morph ball section of the wall thats at chest hight she'll put her hand higher on the wall over the hole instead of pushing on the invisible wall of the hole. The way she runs, slides, goes into morphball, climbs walls, dashes, aims 360 around her, everything, it all looks so convincing and good and im just really impressed with how well she exists within the world of ZDR.

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

You are not wrong. But I do hope we can get a good official soccer/futbol game out of this that isn't built on microtransaction BS. It sadly won't be from Konami, but hopefully some quality development team can make it.

I don't care one way or the other, soccer games mean nothing to me, but for people who do I hope one comes along for you guys, Fifa supported or not. I'd rather it not be Fifa supported because of Fifa itself but regardless hope a good Soccer games along. Winning 11 is dead huh?

I still feel the best sports game ever is Super Dodge Ball for the NES.

Yes it's jank, didn't have official sponsors or licensing, and the rules didn't reflect real world play, and there power moves. But its pure game play fun. You even play a evil Duplicate version of your team before playing the USSR team (or was it the other way around). 

Also there no micro transactions, no forced updates and no validation servers. 

On 10/18/2021 at 7:48 PM, Scanman said:

Getting a Switch for Christmas.

Can I get some recommendations?

I was going to get MarioKart for sure. The Switch has a pretty big library.

Thanks gents.

Mario Marker 2

BoTW

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 3

Monster Hunter Rise 

Metroid Dread

Mario Odyssey

On 10/18/2021 at 11:04 PM, iStu X said:

Honestly I feel a Superman game would be hard. Any Superman fan worth their salt knows Superman is at his best when he isn’t being Superman. His appeal isn’t about the powers, unbridled strength, fighting the villain of the week or saving the universe. it’s about his humanity and how we ourselves can be anyones Superman with a little love, compassion and a friendly ear 

Edited 5 hours ago by iStu X

Fair point.
But I still have a hard to believeing in the year 2021, that no one can make a decent Superman game!!

Edited by CDB2k20
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I don't care one way or the other, soccer games mean nothing to me, but for people who do I hope one comes along for you guys, Fifa supported or not. I'd rather it not be Fifa supported because of Fifa itself but regardless hope a good Soccer games along. Winning 11 is dead huh?

More or less, they rebranded it to be a free to play service game called eFootball and based off of most reports it sucks. The franchise has been going in a tail spin for a few years but I loved the controls of the International Superstar Soccer/early Pro Evolution Soccer games. Now that they have a shot to get real teams the franchise isn't even a ghost of it's former self.

So the latest development with this shit ass Indie game dev that yet to deliver all the physical copies of Paprium, many are non-working.

This is a screen shot of the email they sent out, and didn't want the people who receive it to spread. 
IHpLLeF.png

Collaborating with a twitter post

Edited by DarkSakul

watching that Saint's Row video... ok, I'm happy to be wrong about the violence so far... right away I see "The Boss" actually blasting people's heads apart in a nice bloody mess....and that part where "Boss" glides into the scene via wingsuit was cool.

This is interesting... the more I see of SR so far, they're starting to ease my concerns here, bit by bit.  Whatever the case though...it's still a bit tough to go back to a slightly more "grounded", SR3-ish experience after the awesome, ultimate insanity they served up in part 4 and Gat Out of Hell, both of which I've been playing again recently....which reminds me---- 

Johnny Fuckin Gat, folks.  This character deserves to continue on, perhaps as just a spin-off star of his own series.