Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

You know, it makes me wonder why people have Dice on high stem when of all their offering since they are with EA, only like 1 game has not been a disappointment 🤣

Like take Catalyst for example, which is a downgrade in everything except graphics when compared to the original Mirrors Edge

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh lord...I'm seeing a video in my feed from G4TV with the tagline "Metroid Dread Review: Adam is not pleased"  Can't wait to hear what complaints he has to say regarding this game later.  If I hear anywhere in this vid "Jaffe was right" I'm turning it right off lol

I'm getting annoyed at him blaming getting stuck on the game being "Traditional." It's not traditional mother fucker. It's Metroid. If you don't get lost and stuck wondering where to go at least once then it isn't a fucking Metroid game. This isn't about tradition, this is about shit being what it is. This is a Metroid game. That means the walls aren't marked for you. You need to reveal them yourself. It means the game isn't going to point you exactly where you need to go. You need to find the path. Getting lost is literally the point. Like my issue with the review is one I tend to have with a lot of professional reviews which is that Adam doesn't like exploration so he's not going to like Metroid. Dread was gpnna get a negative review from him no matter how good it was because he doesnt like this kind of gsme to begin with. This is less a review of Metroid Dread and more a review of Metroid as a whole just wrapped in a discussion about Dread specifically. Based on his review of Dread I would recommend exactly 0 Metroid games to him. His review wouldn't have helped me decide on Dread at all because I can't tell if Dread is a good Metroid game because he's clearly frustrated and aggravated by all of them since they all use the design decisions he criticizes here. Maybe it's useful to someone new to the series and thinking of buying Dread as their first but I dunno. 

Will give Adam props for bringing an actual Metroid player in to counter balance the review tho. The review gets a lot better once Jirard joins him and they start the discussion section of the review. Jirard actually likes Metroid. 

4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Agreed. If I had to nitpick anything in Dread , it'd be the lack of memorable music beside a remix or two of old themes. I feel with It being Nintendo, they couldve done better. What's there isn't bad, just doesn't leave an impression 

It had fantastic atmosphere music and sounds, but not really great memorable tunes, yeah. I'm not sure how well normal music would have fit the whole package though, but I do agree it would have been nice to have some instances of like, regular music.

12 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm actually considering buying the original GTA trilogy cause I've actually never really owned the games and only ever messed around with them at someone else's house.  Also it could be nice stress relief to just mess around in on the go with the Switch.

I've never been a huge GTA fan. That said, if the ports are decent, I'll pick up the Switch version.

ha, that thumbnail reminded me I have Persona Strikers, actually... and I've played a grand total of maybe 5 minutes.  There's so many other great games that just took priority in recent weeks/months....it might be a long time before I get back to that.  

I finally finished the main season challenges for D3 on Switch, so I got the cool "seraphim" looking wings....a shame this is one of the last examples we'll see of cool stuff being earnable in a game; we all know that if Diablo 3 were produced today, they would be selling those extra cosmetic things like wings and pets, or even color dyes for your clothing and armor.  I bet the suits over there would love to sell that shit now, actually...but they wisely realize they CAN'T get away with it, really since D3 happens to be an "old" game at this point...and it would be quite a bad look to start selling that stuff when previously it was an unlock.

oh I still have Luminous Avenger iX to get to as well... and I just got Skul: the Hero Slayer today; already started that one and loving it.  

11 hours ago, MillionX said:

The first 2 classes for Wonderlands were shown in the latest trailer!  This is one of the the main games I'm looking forward to next year

I would be excited for this game, but it's Gearbox. After the crap fest that was Borderlands 3's "first" launch on PC, and the CEO being the world's biggest magical douchebag; I'm passing on this shit unless it either goes less than $40 for a preorder on PC; or goes on deep discount within 3 months after release.

Gearbox, for me; went from where I'd buy pretty much all of their games day juan, to fucking deep discount city.

Good news SHMUP fans @YourFavGrandpa@RSG3and anyone I missed!

Panorama Cotton and Cotton 100% are releasing on the eShop on October 29th for $14.99 each. Yeah, I know you got that City Connection taste in your mouths from last few Cotton botch jobs. Good news! City Connection's name isn't attached to these two latest Cotton ports. ININ Games (Cotton Reboot!) is behind this one so there (hopefully) shouldn't be any problems. $14.99 may seem a bit much especially for Cotton 100% which is based of the arcade original and you could argue we got a superior version with Cotton Reboot! But if they turn out the like the last few SHMUPs ININ Games put out, I'm giving them my money.

Edited by RegH81
Spelling is hard, yo.
7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I'm getting annoyed at him blaming getting stuck on the game being "Traditional." It's not traditional mother fucker. It's Metroid. If you don't get lost and stuck wondering where to go at least once then it isn't a fucking Metroid game. This isn't about tradition, this is about shit being what it is. This is a Metroid game. That means the walls aren't marked for you. You need to reveal them yourself. It means the game isn't going to point you exactly where you need to go. You need to find the path. Getting lost is literally the point. Like my issue with the review is one I tend to have with a lot of professional reviews which is that Adam doesn't like exploration so he's not going to like Metroid. Dread was gpnna get a negative review from him no matter how good it was because he doesnt like this kind of gsme to begin with. This is less a review of Metroid Dread and more a review of Metroid as a whole just wrapped in a discussion about Dread specifically. Based on his review of Dread I would recommend exactly 0 Metroid games to him. His review wouldn't have helped me decide on Dread at all because I can't tell if Dread is a good Metroid game because he's clearly frustrated and aggravated by all of them since they all use the design decisions he criticizes here. Maybe it's useful to someone new to the series and thinking of buying Dread as their first but I dunno. 

Will give Adam props for bringing an actual Metroid player in to counter balance the review tho. The review gets a lot better once Jirard joins him and they start the discussion section of the review. Jirard actually likes Metroid. 

I finally got a chance to listen to the review and I can definitely say bringing in an opposite opinion with Jirard was definitely the right call.  It really feels like whether you enjoy this game or not is how well you're plugged into your gamer senses.  I just recently watched Max play through Super Metroid pretty much blind.  He's never played through SM and somehow didn't get spoiled on what happens in the game and never watched a speed run of the game.  He pretty much managed to beat the game with minimal to no help from anyone.   He took that knowledge and experience and is using it to play through Dread for the first time and it's been pretty fun watching him.  Metroid is really not that complicated and Dread is the best that 2D Metroid has ever played and I'd say its better mechanically than SM.  Yeah if people like Adam and Jaffe are having this hard a time then I don't know how they play any Exploration Action games at all.

39 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I finally got a chance to listen to the review and I can definitely say bringing in an opposite opinion with Jirard was definitely the right call.  It really feels like whether you enjoy this game or not is how well you're plugged into your gamer senses.  I just recently watched Max play through Super Metroid pretty much blind.  He's never played through SM and somehow didn't get spoiled on what happens in the game and never watched a speed run of the game.  He pretty much managed to beat the game with minimal to no help from anyone.   He took that knowledge and experience and is using it to play through Dread for the first time and it's been pretty fun watching him.  Metroid is really not that complicated and Dread is the best that 2D Metroid has ever played and I'd say its better mechanically than SM.  Yeah if people like Adam and Jaffe are having this hard a time then I don't know how they play any Exploration Action games at all.

I've also been watching Max play through Super Metroid for the first time. Amazing how much he did mostly on his own. He as able to look at particular areas and see that something seemed off, bomb it, or drop down in there and find a hidden path, missiles, etc. Some games do a piss poor job of pointing the player in the right direction but Super Metroid and Dread sure aren't those kinda games.

4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

$14.99 may seem a bit much especially for Cotton 100% which is based of the arcade original and you could argue we got a superior version with Cotton Reboot! But if they turn out the like the last few SHMUPs ININ Games put out, I'm giving them my money.

Just FYI but Cotton Reboot comes with Cotton 100% AKA Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton. So if you bought Reboot you already have 100%.

Panorama Cotton is pretty cool if you like Rail Shooters and honestly its a technical marvel Treasure pulled it off on the Genesis.

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Yeah if people like Adam and Jaffe are having this hard a time then I don't know how they play any Exploration Action games at all.

I really dont get Jaffe at all. Like developers do seminars on how to communicate with your players non-verbally. How does Jaffe seem to know none of this? Things like putting a torch next to the door you need to go through cuz the torch grabs the eye. Or shit we can use the Jaffe room. Enemy on the ceiling to shoot, can literally see into the other room with enemies and an exit to the right, and the platform you jump on looks like a god damn fucking arrow. The only way they could have made it more obvious was to beat you over the head with a glowing marker screaming "SHOOT HERE!!!!!"

Its almost as bad with Adam to if you ask me. First hes been reviewing games for AT LEAST 20 years now, he should know what non-verbal communications in a videogame look like, like even a little, and second its his fucking job to play and understand Videogames so he can communicate about them with others. Understanding those non-verbal cues is a really important part of your fucking job, how do you not have this skill set? You are paid to do this. You get paid. Why is your skill set in this profession seemingly so lacking that a game running on 35 year old design philosophies stumps the fuck outta you?

I dunno man, this is like me writing a Star Craft review and complaining you have to micromanage your units and monitor your resources.

Edited by RSG3

since I finished the D3 season challenges on Switch and that's a nice stopping point... perfect time to get started on Metroid Dread.  Right away I'm in love with this... the way it controls and the pace of the action is perfect.  I'm not far into it...just made it to my first encounter with an E.M.M.I. so I'm on the run from it at the moment.

Deadpool Video Game From Suda51 Was Nearly in Development With Activision

Goichi "Suda51" Suda, who is perhaps most well-known for his work on titles like No More Heroes, Killer7, and Shadows of the Damned has revealed that he almost worked on a project with Activision roughly a decade ago that would have involved the Marvel Comics character Deadpool. While the project ended up dying out eventually, Suda has made it clear in the past that he would still very much love to work with the character in the future if given the opportunity. 

Speaking to VGC in a new interview, Suda opened up about this history of collaborating with Activision on a game associated with Deadpool. "Here's something a lot of people probably don't know. Over a decade ago, I was actually approached by Activision at one point to make a Deadpool game. It was sometime after the first No More Heroes came out," he explained. For reference, the original No More Heroes game ended up releasing in 2007. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/deadpool-video-game-suda51-activision/

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

There were some targeted changes and cuts out of RE4 VR...

Out of all of those, the only one I can see that’s justified with the change is Luis commenting on Ashley. Even though Ashley calls him out on it, the scene also focusing on her breasts is in conflict with it. While I don’t care for that change, I can understand why it happened. Everything else however was stupid and pointless.

The Hunnigan scenes was the most PG flirting I’ve seen. If those were seen so risqué that they needed to but cut, I worry about future games.

Don’t see the problem with the sex discrimination line either. It just shows that the villagers are willing to kill everyone and the president’s daughter is not safe until you get to her.

The last scene with Leon and Ashley also hurts to see changed. What was wrong with Ashley flirting with Leon and Leon declining her invitation? If you’re going to delete the scenes with Hunnigan, than keeping this one would at least be somewhat consistent with Leon not flirting.

Lastly, looking up Ashley’s skirt has to be the dumbest change. It’s barely a change at all. Unless they think looking up skirts is fine until a girl calls you out for it.

Despite how much i enjoy the NRS games, i feel thbat most of their games tend to be a mixed bag.

Is funny, because MK9 and INJ1 despite being the most flawed games, they are the ones i enjoyed and played the most.

They were part of the main games i played on tournaments here on my local scene, and were part of the games i organized tournaments for.

With MKX  i was working abroad, so i didnt have the oportunity to play it beyond casuals with my brother, cousins and friend when i came home on holidays (i was getting bodied), so i couldnt have the same fun with it.

But with INJ2 and MK11, despite being the superior games in terms of production value, and technical stanpoints, imo, i feel that they lacked something that was what made me gravitate towards the older games.

It doesnt help that i feel that their stories are atrocious, well produced, but totally nonesensical and a waste of time, considering how they cant keep consistency in the same game, even less on the timeline they have stablished on the trilogy/duology 🤣

I've said this a few times before but I like everything about the NRS games BUT the actual gameplay. They pull hella effort into the games but the fighting is too stiff and jerky for my liking, not a fan of the dial-a-combo system either. 

Going from super responsive fighters like SF, Tekken, VF, Guilty Gear to MK is fucking devastating to my sense of timing and enjoyment 

Edited by HD-Man

^ah, but they'll have to "fix" the female Powerstone characters so they are no longer appealing to anyone, visually speaking.  

See, this is the "pansy ass uptight dork" era of entertainment.  We can't have anyone being uncomfortable for 2 seconds.  it's right in line with the new rule about female characters not being allowed to have sex appeal or any revealing outfits anymore, since the "male gaze" is the worst thing ever and it must be stopped at all cost, obviously.

Get ready for that upcoming Oneechanbara remake where the girls are changed to look more like Hilary Clinton, complete with a wardrobe of loose-fitting pants-suits, complete with various token pansexual and non-binary characters to make sure we're in agreement that those people are cooler and so much more interesting than the rest of the human race.

edit---on another note; apparently Blightbound is just a dead game?  I was checking reddit and forums for any discussion at all and there is NOTHING lately.  The reddit forum's last post on it was 2 months ago 😞 It frustrates me that this game is just off the mark from what it could be.  haha I might be literally the only person playing this, or even thinking about it anymore at this point.

Edited by MillionX

Behold, the final, borderline impossible segment of Blood Rayne Betrayal... I'm close to giving up on this horseshit

IF I ever beat this I'm not exactly inclined to play this nonsense again.

aha! I found the trick to the part with the lasers... if you air-dash CLOSE to the lasers then for some reason the shot won't hit you, so you have to hop off the enemy, then air dash close to a laser, skipping another enemy and hopping off the other one, repeat.

haha the percentage of people who get these late game achievements will forever be extremely low.  Barely anyone that played was crazy enough to make it this far. 

annnd finally I'm out of there....I got lucky in getting past the lasers again, and the rest of the area isn't that bad in comparison.

Edited by MillionX