Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

ive never played a moba but loosing after an hour long game is prob like fighting a super boss in a jrpg for like 45 minutes getting that bitch down to like 10% and then a super move comes out and kills you. when that shit happens usually im done for the day although when somebody got charmed in persona 3 and healed the final boss back to full i didn't play that shit for like a month.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Welp, i guess this means the game will be a TOD fest 🤣

Is funny how JWong helped design a game and instead of making something like MVC2, designed a tod heavier game than mvc3, which he complained about, lol.

ShadyK was the main guy in charge of all the design choices. Numerous times he has stated that "MVC3 is the greatest game ever made" lol.

That quantum ranger guy is literally cable animations combined with vergil, it's so funny.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

I was gonna post that.

Man, ahoy really takes its time between uploads.

At times it feels like a dead channel by how long it can take between each video, lol.

Been following the guy since his CoD MW2 and his videos hold up. Great voice, well designed graphics, easy to follow along and overall just amazing production. I would love to get to this level but still trying to find my place on YouTube. His only crime is he doesn't upload much anymore...sometimes as little as 2 videos a year but it's worth the wait. 

Did digital foundry ever do a version comparison for Guardians of the Galaxy? Considering getting it since it’s basically at bargain bin prices right now. 

I’m looking to see how it runs on a PS4 Pro (no way I’m trying switch’s cloud version)

Edited by iStu X

oh yeah, the first 2 BloodRayne games came out recently... here's a review of the Switch version of "ReVamped"

and here's the other one... part 2:

Oh gee, I wonder how many pansy-ass wimps from this new era would cry about how "problematic" her outfit is.  "OH NO, FEMALE SEX APPEAL! Oh whatever will we do!" 😆  Clown-ass losers 🤣 

Edited by MillionX

Apparently Chrono Cross is going to be Squee’s next big remake/remaster announcement. 

if true I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s announced at The Game Awards in a few weeks. 

i fucking hate Chrono Cross but it’s a game I’ve always wanted to go back to as I’ve gotten older to see if I actually disliked it from a gameplay/story perspective or the “blarg this isn’t Chrono Trigger!” Perspective. 

honesty it’s probably both. 😂 I remember the story being absolute trash. 

That said, if it’s a full blown remake and not just some polish and tweaks remaster I’ll be much more interested. 

Edited by iStu X

I like Chrono Cross so a modern release would be nice. That games very hard to upscale because the game and the venues are different resolutions and upscaled have to reset every time you open a menu. It makes the game basically unplayable. 

And while I like Chrono Trigger I also think it's super over rated. It's really good just put on a pedestal. Kinda FF7 Syndrome (As I'm playing the FF7 Remake as in typing this lol. The 60fps on PS5 is super nice.)

16 hours ago, elliephil said:

ShadyK was the main guy in charge of all the design choices. Numerous times he has stated that "MVC3 is the greatest game ever made" lol.

That quantum ranger guy is literally cable animations combined with vergil, it's so funny.

I am aware, but JWong also helped with PRBotG.

And while i love mvc3, and was 1 of my main games at the time plus was 1 of the games i organized tournaments, i would never call it the greatest game ever, hell i wouldn't even call it a good game.

For me is on the category of kusoge/trash game, one that is really fun, but is plagued of a lot of dumb shit that makes it no bueno, kind of like Hokuto no Ken and Sengoku Basara X 🤣 , games that i also love btw and enjoy playing even today.

And you know, i think those games where like just a few patches/revisions away of being good.

Which makes funny/sad that PRBotG with still being active in its development doesnt try to improve the state of the game with all the TOD's that plague it.

Just now, RSG3 said:

I like Chrono Cross so a modern release would be nice. That games very hard to upscale because the game and the venues are different resolutions and upscaled have to reset every time you open a menu. It makes the game basically unplayable. 

And while I like Chrono Trigger I also think it's super over rated. It's really good just put on a pedestal. Kinda FF7 Syndrome (As I'm playing the FF7 Remake as in typing this lol. The 60fps on PS5 is super nice.)

I think that CT is put on a pedestal because for many people, like 7 it served as a gateway for RPG's at its time.

TBH, i personally put it on my top 5 tied with FF6 on the 1st place 😅

56 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I remember the game's plot taking a dump on the whole CT storyline and killing off some characters for no particular reason other than "LOL the story has to happen"

But then again it has been over 20 years and never revisited the game.... 🤷‍♂️

That is because CC is not a sequel to CT, but Radical Dreamers.

It is why despite CC being presented as a sequel of CT on the west, there is a lot of disconnects between the 2 in various parts of the story.

The order is CT , RD then CC.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I am aware, but JWong also helped with PRBotG.

And while i love mvc3, and was 1 of my main games at the time plus was 1 of the games i organized tournaments, i would never call it the greatest game ever, hell i wouldn't even call it a good game.

For me is on the category of kusoge/trash game, one that is really fun, but is plagued of a lot of dumb shit that makes it no bueno, kind of like Hokuto no Ken and Sengoku Basara X 🤣 , games that i also love btw and enjoy playing even today.

And you know, i think those games where like just a few patches/revisions away of being good.

Which makes funny/sad that PRBotG with still being active in its development doesnt try to improve the state of the game with all the TOD's that plague it.

I don't think it's the greatest game ever either. I don't think any fighting game is really the "best game ever" lol.

It makes sense then why the developers wouldn't want to get rid of all that tod nonsense. Mvc3 was busted but in a really weird way that I wouldn't put on the level of HnK. I can't explain it. It's almost like there wasn't an oversight (which HnK was definitely not meant to be that way) with the design and they truly wanted it to be that way and I think BFTG is definitely following the same philosophy.

19 minutes ago, elliephil said:

It makes sense then why the developers wouldn't want to get rid of all that tod nonsense. Mvc3 was busted but in a really weird way that I wouldn't put on the level of HnK. I can't explain it. It's almost like there wasn't an oversight (which HnK was definitely not meant to be that way) with the design and they truly wanted it to be that way and I think BFTG is definitely following the same philosophy.

You should watch some PRBFTG  just see how much of a meme the game is. ToD has gone from something that you don't want normally to get it from a crouching light. Its incredibly stupid. 

Oh and the game has unblockables too. So you get unblockabled on incoming into a ToD. That's intentional design in a game. Its not like 90s charm type of stuff. Its just bad.

Oh and the combos are long as hell. There are rules in place to prevent infinites but only the type of infinites they don't want. There are still other infinites. Some of the cast ToDs with no bar and no assists. Its just a gibberish game at this point.

23 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You should watch some PRBFTG  just see how much of a meme the game is. ToD has gone from something that you don't want normally to get it from a crouching light. Its incredibly stupid. 

Oh and the game has unblockables too. So you get unblockabled on incoming into a ToD. That's intentional design in a game. Its not like 90s charm type of stuff. Its just bad.

Oh and the combos are long as hell. There are rules in place to prevent infinites but only the type of infinites they don't want. There are still other infinites. Some of the cast ToDs with no bar and no assists. Its just a gibberish game at this point.

I played it a bit and watched one tournament years ago, I think it was combo breaker. Definitely seems like the kind of game where you just get the first touch and you win. Seems like a game I would play casually with the boys while shooting the shit.

I know it has the deteriorating hitstun like marvel3 and there is that juggle limit thing that limits wall and ground bounce and a few other things. Doesn't look like it really matters tho since some characters can kill without meter or assist. I think it's got a bit of a way to go but it could be an alright game eventually.

It's the same issue I have with dbfz. Combos are long and take forever and I feel like it's missing the fast action of other team games. Like anything could happen at any time and the momentum would shift drastically if players know what they are doing. Just sit in blockstun for a while, oh here comes the part where I get mixed up, okay I blocked it, continue on with the same thing.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

It's almost like there wasn't an oversight (which HnK was definitely not meant to be that way) 

LMAO wut?

Most of the gameplay devolved into what it ended due oversights, glitches/bugs and even a bit of incompetence/rushed developement from the devs when implementing  the mechanics that copied from other games, and the last minute changes during the last months of dev due the knee jerk reaction of the community regarding certain aspects of the game

Like how many TOD's use different glitches to reset/stop the hitstun scaling, which btw was poorly implemented and to boot was alongside the OTG window increased at the last minute as one of the last minute changes.

MVC3 is as busted as HnK, if not more imo, since if we leave it just on glitches what fucked HnK was mostly one single bug that lead to the dribble infinites, without it it would have still unbalanced, sure, but compare that with all the stuff that doesnt work on mvc3.

Then if we add oversights on mechanics, characters specials or features we have plenty of stuff that is clear that is not working as intended.

The only reason why i could think that anyone would think that mvc3 worked as they wanted is that because since they didnt have the opportunity to patch it as needed, the game was left to be in the state it was for better and for worse.

If capcom could have patched the game as they did with sfiv, you can bet they would have made a lot of changes to the game.

They had a vision of the game which was 1st compromised when the community (and a small section of it) reacted badly to the direction they wanted the game to have (not gonna lie, i would have wanted to them to stick to their guns and see what they were aiming to for mvc3 to be), and mostly due the limited time they had to work and support the game.

Edited by Hecatom
21 minutes ago, elliephil said:

It's the same issue I have with dbfz. Combos are long and take forever and I feel like it's missing the fast action of other team games.

Not gonna lie, you are one of a hell of a weird guy.

You seem to always arbitrarily apply you standards and criticisms on games.

Like, thinking that SFIV is more technical than umvc3, umvc3 being more easy to read than sfiv, mvc3 not being as busted as hnk because is working as intended, and dbfz having long combos while being ok with shit like mvc3 where is the same or worse at times. 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Looking for some recommendations for games on Switch that I can get for my flights coming up this/next week.  Doesn't have to a Switch exclusive.

I have heard good things about Hades but don't really "get" what kinda game it is.  What does it compare to?   I see it's $20 right now.

It’s a dungeon crawler rogue like