Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

You have to wait around for games to download, even physical games.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I miss the days when I just insert a cartridge or disc and game was ready to play from the jump.
I think during the XB360/PS3 glory days most games came complete & ready, patches and DLC updates where reasonable sized and didn't take all day to download!!

37 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

think during the XB360/PS3 glory days most games came complete & ready, patches and DLC updates where reasonable sized and didn't take all day to download!!

I vividly remember how pissed I was when I had to wait 20 minutes for DMC4 to install. MGS4 also had long install times. It definitely got better later in that generation.

39 minutes ago, CDB2k20 said:

I miss the days when I just insert a cartridge or disc and game was ready to play from the jump.
I think during the XB360/PS3 glory days most games came complete & ready, patches and DLC updates where reasonable sized and didn't take all day to download!!

Nah bro, even back then we had to deal with patches and updates and shit.

Just now, Lantis said:

How long did it take for MGS 4 to install? I remember it taking well over an hour or two to do so....

IIRC, it didn't do it all at once. I think did installs after each chapter. Honestly wasn't a fan of the game, so I don't have a huge amount of experience with it. All I remember is the smoking installs and "nanomachines" being the reason for everything.

57 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC, it didn't do it all at once. I think did installs after each chapter. Honestly wasn't a fan of the game, so I don't have a huge amount of experience with it. All I remember is the smoking installs and "nanomachines" being the reason for everything.

That's how I remember it being. It would install after every new chapter. I think they were 15 minutes long 

MGS4 would install the chapter instead of the whole game. It had 4 installs, one per Chapter and they took 15 to 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I vividly remember how pissed I was when I had to wait 20 minutes for DMC4 to install.

I vividly remember going to make a sammich and the game was installed when i was done eating. Im going to use this as a launching point but im not trying to pick on you specifically. The complaints about DMC4s install time where ridiculous. Deffinition of first world problem to me. Im on board with installs and updates being annoying but the DMC4 one is short as fuck, really wasnt worth the big deal so many people made out of it imo.

Now RDR2 taking 3 hours to install? Yea thats fucking nuts lmao.

and i would be 100% on board with the idea that the games are complicated and require installs and updates over time, but im not willing to because its very clear to me that many of these companies making these big complicated games consider the Testing phase and QA to be a suggestion instead of a fucking requirement. To be perfectly honest with you, the majority of Day 1 Patches are bullshit and should have been delt with before the product ever went gold.

So yes games are complicated but no Dev houses dont put the QA time into the product they should and we end up spending much of our free time (of which we have increasing less and less of each day) waiting on them to do their job right this time when it shoulda been done right the day the fucking thing went gold.

Edited by RSG3
3 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Peephaps i am on the miority that dont care and think the idea of "plug and play" is overestimated. 

angry mr. t GIF

Bruh.....

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

and i would be 100% on board with the idea that the games are complicated and require installs and updates over time, but im not willing to because its very clear to me that many of these companies making these big complicated games consider the Testing phase and QA to be a suggestion instead of a fucking requirement. To be perfectly honest with you, the majority of Day 1 Patches are bullshit and should have been delt with before the product ever went gold.

So yes games are complicated but no Dev houses dont put the QA time into the product they should and we end up spending much of our free time (of which we have increasing less and less of each day) waiting on them to do their job right this time when it shoulda been done right the day the fucking thing went gold.

Nail on the fucking head!!!!

I would be good with decent length day 1 patch update if Devs put the time in for effective QA and testing.

Wait 6+ hours to play a physical copy of game after decades of plug and play is absolute BULL-ASS-SHIT!!

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Now RDR2 taking 3 hours to install? Yea thats fucking nuts lmao.

It took you 3 hours...?

moved to tears crying GIF

2K will be announcing a new franchise later this month

https://www.ign.com/articles/2k-new-ip-reveal-this-month

game will launch some time before March 31st 2022

Take-Two is preparing to increase it's game output in the next 3 years

https://www.ign.com/articles/take-two-prepares-double-immersive-core-releases-coming-years

GTA V on the Stadia, GTA V on the Switch, GTA V Steam deck edition, GTA V for Oculus Rift, GTA V for the Iphone and Android, GTA V for the Jaguar 3DO, and GTA V for the Amazon Echo.  Trying to beat out Skyrim for most platforms to be released on LETS GOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Take Two CEO's response to the increasing issues within the game industry regarding sexual harrassment and diversity.

https://www.ign.com/articles/take-two-ceo-company-focus-diversity-heightened

Edited by Sonichuman
33 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Might be. I exaggerated a bit, RDR2s install on a slim PS4 is about 2 and a half hours. 

Yeah, i supposed it was a bit of exaggeration, but it will always be a good idea to try seeing if there are issues with the hdd, or maybe moving everything into an external hdd to fix any fragmentation issues.

After all, the file systems of sony consoles are kind of whack.

It amazes me that they still insist on using a proprietary file system instead of using a version of the ext family, which is open source.

40 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm honestly surprised the haven't put GTAV on Switch at this point. It's free money. It was a PS3/360 game originally, so getting to run isn't an issue. Plus it fit on 360 DVD, so they'd be able to get away with a 16GB cart even with improved textures.

To be completely honest I don't know why they didn't either.  Being able to play GTA V on the go?  I mean the online probably would probably be eh but I'm sure plenty of people would have been down to play and futz around in the single player on the go.  The only reason I can guess as to why not is probably because they feel that got burned when the put Chinatown Wars on the DS.  Hell why don't they port that game to the Switch?  Update the visuals on that and put it on there?  I da know I think Rockstar has been iffy about putting stuff on Nintendo platforms in general.  They could even port the GTA 3 Trilogy onto the platform if they wanted to be super lazy with it.  People would have eaten up San Andreas on the go.  They don't even have to worry about doing that now though with the Deck on the horizon but the fact still remains there's a huge chunk of people out their with Switch's that they could have put just about port any of the games to the platform and possibly made some easy money.  I'm surprised none of the shareholders or investors even bothered to ask them why they haven't.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

To be completely honest I don't know why they didn't either.  Being able to play GTA V on the go?  I mean the online probably would probably be eh but I'm sure plenty of people would have been down to play and futz around in the single player on the go.  The only reason I can guess as to why not is probably because they feel that got burned when the put Chinatown Wars on the DS.  Hell why don't they port that game to the Switch?  Update the visuals on that and put it on there?  I da know I think Rockstar has been iffy about putting stuff on Nintendo platforms in general.  They could even port the GTA 3 Trilogy onto the platform if they wanted to be super lazy with it.  People would have eaten up San Andreas on the go.  They don't even have to worry about doing that now though with the Deck on the horizon but the fact still remains there's a huge chunk of people out their with Switch's that they could have put just about port any of the games to the platform and possibly made some easy money.  I'm surprised none of the shareholders or investors even bothered to ask them why they haven't.

Interesting considering there are ports of GTA 3, VC, SA, LCS, and CTW on mobile. Must be a Nintendo thing. 

I just tried Streets of Rage 4. I got it a few days ago, but thought the 30th anniversary would be a good day to start.

I like how there is a tutorial. The juggle opportunities kinda remind me of Alpha 3 lol.

The commissioner was a bit crazy for only the second stage boss. His slam move reminds me of Rugals god press (Hcb +k move)

I tried Blaze and Axel. I kinda wish Blaze moved a bit faster than Axel. 

I keep forgetting circle is to  pick up stuff and eat food lol.

Great graphics and pretty good music so far.

9 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Peephaps i am on the miority that dont care and think the idea of "plug and play" is overestimated. 

Is ridiculous to think that with games as complex and big as we have now, they will be runing directly from a disc, even less. 

The real game is the DL...the disk is merely a key  and someday to be a novelty.

Blizzard President J. Allen Brack Is 'Stepping Down' Amid Activision Lawsuit Controversy

His departure comes in the wake of historic allegations of harassment at Activision Blizzard

0bea0f7922c76d279712ea9323039ffd.jpg

J. Allen Brack, the President of Warcraft and Overwatch studio Blizzard Entertainment, is leaving his position less than two weeks after an investigation by the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing made public explosive allegations of harassment and discrimination within the company.

In a statement released by Blizzard, it’s announced that Brack will be “stepping down”, and will be replaced by a leadership team of Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra.

To all members of the Blizzard Community,

We want to let you know about an important leadership change at Blizzard Entertainment.

Starting today, J. Allen Brack will be stepping down as the leader of the studio, and Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will co-lead Blizzard moving forward.

Jen joined Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, where she’s been providing senior development leadership and support to the Diablo and Overwatch franchises. Jen is the former head of Vicarious Visions (which is now part of Blizzard Entertainment).

After many years at XBOX, Mike joined the company in 2019 as the executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, where he’s been overseeing the evolution of Battle.net and our development services organization.

Jen and Mike have more than three decades of gaming industry experience between them. Moving forward, they will share responsibilities over game development and company operations.

Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; to the work ahead to ensure Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background; to upholding and reinforcing our values; and to rebuilding your trust. With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion, and a dedication to excellence. You’ll hear more from Jen and Mike soon.

Brack also released a short statment, which reads:

I am confident that Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will provide the leadership Blizzard needs to realize its full potential and will accelerate the pace of change. I anticipate they will do so with passion and enthusiasm and that they can be trusted to lead with the highest levels of integrity and commitment to the components of our culture that make Blizzard so special.

A separate announcement on Activision’s investor relations page says that Brack is leaving to “pursue new opportunities.” He had been President since 2018, and had been at the company since 2006, having previously worked at companies like Origin (Wing Commander) and SOE (Star Wars Galaxies).

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23706475/new-leadership-at-blizzard

Edited by AriesWarlock
10 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I just tried Streets of Rage 4. I got it a few days ago, but thought the 30th anniversary would be a good day to start.

I like how there is a tutorial. The juggle opportunities kinda remind me of Alpha 3 lol.

The commissioner was a bit crazy for only the second stage boss. His slam move reminds me of Rugals god press (Hcb +k move)

I tried Blaze and Axel. I kinda wish Blaze moved a bit faster than Axel. 

I keep forgetting circle is to  pick up stuff and eat food lol.

Great graphics and pretty good music so far.

What platform are you playing it on? I'm thinking about picking it up for Switch 

14 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

GTA V, if I had to guess it probably has to do with GTA Online. It could be they can't get it to work well with the Switch's online stuff. I say that because at this point getting a sub team or contractor to port the PS3 version of GTA V campaign would be fairly easy to do, but unless they get that GTA Online money the overlords of Rockstar probably are not interested. The same with the older games, while the cost is probably small they do not see enough bang to bother paying another group to work on something that isn't a online money maker.

Man, I just don't really get it... people will keep buying GTA V for the rest of eternity, I guess.  In the year 4065, a version of GTA V will still be near the top of the sales charts.  You could bet money on it.  People will still be buying that shit like it's a hype new thing that just released yesterday.

hmm... in the 41st century, I wonder if Elder Scrolls 6 and Bayonetta 3 will be out by that point?  haha nah probably not. They'll still be in development with new "teaser" trailers being posted every few centuries.

Edited by MillionX
7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Why's that? 

I just got tired of sandbox type games and felt done with GTA series as a whole. Vice City was when the series peaked for me. Everything about it was perfect to me. 

San Andreas didn’t look even remotely interesting to me. Neither did IV and neither did V. Especially with V’s biggest draw being it’s online community. I don’t like online multiplayer, really. 

Edited by iStu X
Clarification
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Also San Andreas didn’t look even remotely interesting to me. Neither did IV and neither did V.

Yeah, they really started to pour more and more into those sandboxes, and they can kinda be exhausting. They haven't had a "recreating the wheel" moment since 3 imho. They're just making the wheel bigger and shinier at this point. 

I like all the GTAs but I thought SA had too much half baked stuff in it for the sake of stuff and GTAV has a really great campaign but the map is too big. 

GTAIV is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's got a lot of flaws. 

3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Especially with V’s biggest draw being it’s online community

Was it like that from the jump? I remember jumping online after I beat the campaign and it seemed like a tacked on afterthought. The protag switching is what drew me in.