Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

54 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Turns out I couldn't wait for the Christmas sale after all and I picked up Curse of the Moon 1 & 2. I forgot just how great the first one is, I remember really really liking it when I played it a few years ago but damn, it's fucking killer.

As awesome as the first game is, the 2nd game is even better. I nearly 100%'d that game in two days. Played the crap out of it lol

DoDonPachi Resurrection, baby!! So many different versions of this game in one package, including my favorite soundtrack of the DDPR line, Black Label. Granted, this is only the second DonPachi game I've played but it's got me itching to try more of them. For some reason, I decided to play normal arcade version of the game on the default difficulty. Yeah, it is ROUGH. Somehow I got a 153 combo off. Baby numbers for vets at this game, I'm sure, but for a noob like me, I could't believe it.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

The DDP series is an expert series. It knows no mercy my dude. 

Ikeda Unleashed. 

Maaaaaaaan, you ain't lyin'. 

Even on Novice and the lowest difficulty setting DoDonPachi Resurrection is insane. My third playthrough was on one of the Black Label modes that let's you use the Ketsui ship. That thing has mad spread and it was STILL crazy how much action was on the screen from the enemies. Also, I was not expecting Ketsui music while playing this mode, but I'll take it!

5 minutes ago, Abbachio said:

Is the Switch version of DDP Resurrection the same as the Steam version? 

I haven't played the Steam version but this version has a ton of modes including several Black Label versions of the game. Switch version also has an exclusive mode where you can fight some weirdly named boss. Live Wire was behind this port and they've been doing excellent jobs on the Switch SHMUP ports they've done. 

1 minute ago, rukawa_kaede said:

that thing is bigger than the steam deck holly shit.

My brother had one, it made the Game Gear's battery life seem like the Gameboy's. Sometimes my brother would put brand new batteries into it and it wouldn't even turn on. I'd take the batteries and put them into my Game Gear and be good to go.

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

My brother had one, it made the Game Gear's battery life seem like the Gameboy's. Sometimes my brother would put brand new batteries into it and it wouldn't even turn on. I'd take the batteries and put them into my Game Gear and be good to go.

how many batteries it used? I remember a friend of mine had a game gear it used 6 batteries that lasted 2 hours max lol. Beautiful color screen for the time but putting 6 brand new batteries every couple of hours was a killer. We didn't even have money for batteries to begin with.

Edited by rukawa_kaede
25 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

how many batteries it used? I remember a friend of mine had a game gear it used 6 batteries that lasted 2 hours max lol. Beautiful color screen for the time but putting 6 brand new batteries every couple of hours was a killer. We didn't even have money for batteries to begin with.

It took 6 batteries. For whatever reason, it has to be Duracells. Even Energizers would wouldn't work half the time. 

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Sometimes I forget how large handhelds were back in the day and then someone pulls out the OG Gray Brick Gameboy and it immediately makes me go "Jesus Christ!!!"

They've come back around on that. Lynx was MASSIVE and GameBoy was big, but the Switch is pretty decent sized too and Vita isn't that far behind. I use to think the PSP was a tank especially compared to the DS lite, but after owning a Switch and Vita, it's absolutely pocket sized. Still a shame how dirty Sony did the PSP, it's still one of my favorite systems of all time. 

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You gotta check those cold cranking amps before you fire up a real machine like the Atari Lynx!

9 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

They've come back around on that. Lynx was MASSIVE and GameBoy was big, but the Switch is pretty decent sized too and Vita isn't that far behind. I use to think the PSP was a tank especially compared to the DS lite, but after owning a Switch and Vita, it's absolutely pocket sized. Still a shame how dirty Sony did the PSP, it's still one of my favorite systems of all time. 

Yeah PSP was pocket sized and I'd say Vita was stretching it a bit.  Switch is large and it ain't pocket sized but doesn't have anything on the OG Gameboy and Game gear fattys.

45 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

How so?

i think the vita made everything right except for the proprietary card issue. They should have gone with SD imo

Broskis.

The PSP sold over 80 million units, dunno what are you talking about?

It sold better than the 3ds, and the Xbox One 🤣

The PSP was huge, which is why the Vita suffered the consequences of Sony getting cocky (as do happens with them and every console manufacturer) and trying to use the console to push a storage format, as they tend to do.

Dunno if having SD's/Micro SD's would have made the fate of the Vita be different, but having that card as its storage certainly didn't help.

Edited by Hecatom

SMT5 can be too real sometimes 

Spoiler

I did this sidequest where an Imcubus has fallen in love with a Sliky and wants me to deliver a letter to her to know where they stand.

Silky torn this man apart. She took issue with the love conquers all bullshit saying love ain't enough to start a family. He'll need money and a steadily income before she even considers doing anything. 

I go back to him and of course he's broke. Then has the audacity ask me to spot him 5000 Macca. Nah nigga. 

heh, got back into Smash Ultimate just to put more of my disgusting Mii characters in there... so now we got new combatants Serling (Rod Serling), Epar, Pee-Stains, Booger, Chickenbone(*inspired by this dude I went to high school with who had that nickname; remembered for that 1 day in Art class where he randomly assaulted a fat cheerleader)  and Alucalb, in that sumbitch... they join my others like Crackbaby, Jewcan Sam, DatNigguh, Hugh Janus, Elliot Rodger, and many more.  I've had about as much fun making characters as actually playing the game.  Custom character modes in anything will always be endless fun for me.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Sony didn't support neither handheld. They them into the market and let the third parties do the heavy lifting

huh?! then how come the xbox is still in existence?! PSP was popular nonetheless but how many sony exclusives does it have for psp? i can' t remember.  The vita failed after doing mostly everything right, i realized mobile gaming is a different beast. Mobile gaming is mostly for children and casual gaming i figure it out that myself when i got the PSP and I almost exclusively use it for emulation and app hacks.

3 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

How so?

i think the vita made everything right except for the proprietary card issue. They should have gone with SD imo

Sony never seemed willing or able to rally the kind of 3rd party support Nintendo was for their handhelds, and they themselves didn't do that great of a job supporting them either. The Vita was definitely a step in the right direction, but again, Nintendo always seems to support their handhelds as if it's the main console, something Sony never seemed to do even though their handhelds are the best. 

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Broskis.

The PSP sold over 80 million units, dunno what are you talking about?

The DS alone sold just shy of twice that much and had far more games than the PSP did unless you factor in backwards compatibility, but even then it's still a smaller library than Nintendo's handhelds had. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Sony never seemed willing or able to rally the kind of 3rd party support Nintendo was for their handhelds, and they themselves didn't do that great of a job supporting them either. The Vita was definitely a step in the right direction, but again, Nintendo always seems to support their handhelds as if it's the main console, something Sony never seemed to do even though their handhelds are the best. 

Prior to the launch of the Switch. Nintendo had separate dev and R&D teams for their home and portable consoles. Sony never really did that. Nintendo was able to develop software concurrently for each platform. Nintendo rolled everything together before the Switch's launch. The PSP sold well despite getting through trounced by the DS. That said the 3DS did better overall. The PSP has didn't sell as much software as the 3DS. IIRC the PSP outsold the 3DS by 4 million units but the 3DS sold 60 million more games. 

I've been playing the classic RTS game "Battle Realms" and holy shit this game's single player is one of the most bullshit campaigns ever.

The mission I'm on (the second to last), the enemy (the Lotus clan) starts with 3 complete bases, while you start with no base, 2 hero units, 2 archers, and a few peasants.

The only thing saving you in this level is that the AI doesn't rebuild their base once destroyed- the AI only spends money on units.

I'm bad at RTS but damn this stuff is ridiculous. I forgot how hard old games were sometimes.

That "spirit board" mode in Smash continues to be so much fun...it's just endless battles with all kinds of special modifiers/rules...for those spirit character cards and other stuff as rewards.  I was surprised to beat this Legendary one a little while ago, but the setup I have at the moment is pretty ridiculous...usually I have Ganondorf + cards that give him extra weight like a super heavy character, or makes it so he breaks shields super easy...a recent one I unlocked makes it so he becomes temporarily invincible when reaching low health.  haha the shit is so busted, man...plenty of characters getting KOed into oblivion in 2 good hits.  I'd like to play my original characters of course but the insane power-level of Ganondorf + certain cards is just too delicious.  It's like Jiren went back in time to bully saiyan-saga era DBZ characters here.  They have no chance.

they released a whole character walkthrough and didn't even bother to say shit to anyone.

if i could give a game a second chance it would prob be this one . came out right before the pandemic that forced every fighting game devoloper to switch to rollback although jury's still out bamco 

and even tho i have my own nitpicky grievances with no mages throwing spells or the one nigga with a gun not being a zoner  the only thing id want to truly change is for the love of god never let the person or people in charge of balancing this game never have that kinda power ever again.

I am only gonna say that Unleash was a good game, dont @ me

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

so Sega being Sega after saying they wouldn’t be Sega anymore. And a huge lol at Sega for having the audacity to try and take any credit for Mania.

Well, they made the games that inspired the devs, so that should count for some of the credit 🤷‍♂️