Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)

Didn’t see a topic for this yet.

Im still driving my first car (06 Subaru Forester) and I’m curious to see what y’all drive. I’m new car shopping but as everyone knows prices are crazy right now, so having a hard time finding something I want. 

What do you guys drive? 

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

I drive a 2010 V6 Mustang but it prefers to identify as a V8. Transvehicle shit 

I’ve been looking at older used Mustangs. Love how they look but I always hear the V6 aren’t actually that fast. Though I supposed anything is faster than what I have now lol. Love the GTs from that gen but they’re outside my price range lol 

2 hours ago, JGreen said:

I’m really fortunate and drive a 2018 Porsche GT3 with manual. It’s a great car that comes alive taking twisty backroads, but has enough practicality for me to daily it. 

What is the deal with manuals? Every car guy loves them and I don’t understand what the big deal is (never driven one).

WRX only comes in manual or in a trash CVT so if I want one of those I’m gonna have to learn lol.

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What is the deal with manuals? Every car guy loves them and I don’t understand what the big deal is (never driven one).

I should lead off by saying that I actually learned to drive with a manual, so that likely affects my feelings about driving manual. 

I think one of the big things about manual vs auto is the main purpose of your car. If it's only to get to point a to point b, than an auto is better. To me, I like the greater involvement behind using a manual. I enjoying rowing through the different gears and the process behind it. Before my current car, I had a BMW M4 with paddle shifters, but found the paddles boring to use. As a result, I never used them and didn't feel like the drive was engaging. My M4 was fast, but dull to drive. 

A manual also makes me feel more connected to the car and I get a better sense of what it's doing. I can feel the different gears engage when I'm shifting and controlling the gas. Then, nailing that perfect rev matched downshift and hearing the loud crackle from my car's exhaust is amazing. There's also a thrill when you're driving at speed and need to shift a gear. Steering with one hand, even briefly, is something else when you're going fast.

All in all, I'd say give it a shot. You might like it. You might not. Manuals are dying off for a reason afterall.

2015 Hyundai Equus

2015-Hyundai-Equus-front_9817_032_1842x7

I wanted V8 and rear wheel drive. It's my first foreign car because domestics just lacked options. They are all about trucks and SUVs now. I didn't want a 300, Mustang, or Camaro. The Chevy SS prices skyrocketed, like the G8 and GTO before when people realized what kind of powertrain they had.

Seriously if you bought a GTO, G8 GT/GTX, or SS on sale right near the end of their production they were selling for like 2/3rds MSRP. A few years later they all sold above MSRP used. My brother has a 2005 GTO. He bought it for 22k in 2007. It only had 11k miles at the time. He went to the dealer to look into an extended warranty and they offered him 28k for it. I had a G8 GT that I bought for 25K in 2011. I totalled it in 2013 😭 and my insurance company gave me 27K for it. I went to look for another one and the same model I had was going for that much with more miles than the car I wrecked.

Side Note: Totaled my ass. Two weeks after I totaled it, I got a call from the mechanic that bought it at an auction. He fixed it and was wondering if I still had the second set of keys. They only made G8's for about a year and half. They were built in Australia. Insurance company just didn't want to fix it. 😔

Edited by Darc_Requiem
41 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They are all about trucks and SUVs now.

Ive had this conversation with my dad. Sedans are slowly getting phased out because Americans apparently love larger vehicles. I definitely get the appeal of having extra room and ground clearance but realistically I don’t need either of those things day to day as much as I’d use extra power under the hood. 

How is your car in bad weather? I always hear RWD is shit in bad conditions but they can’t be as bad as people say since I see them everywhere.

My favorite cars to drive are compact crossovers, but I know I'm weird like that.  I end up driving a lot of shitty road conditions, but still want something that's easy to park in the city.

In video games I love the engagement and nuance of a manual, but in the real world I don't want to have to micromanage at that level.  Shit, my favorite car was a Nissan Juke, and that thing had a CVT.

I’ve driven CVT transmissions and the lack of gear changes just throws me off even if it’s probably (definitely?) more efficient. I had to drive my moms car for a week while mine was in the shop and I just really hated it even though her car is better than mine in almost every way.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Ive had this conversation with my dad. Sedans are slowly getting phased out because Americans apparently love larger vehicles. I definitely get the appeal of having extra room and ground clearance but realistically I don’t need either of those things day to day as much as I’d use extra power under the hood. 

How is your car in bad weather? I always hear RWD is shit in bad conditions but they can’t be as bad as people say since I see them everywhere.

RWD isn't bad if you aren't an idiot with it. Don't floor it while making a left or right turn when exiting a parking lot in the rain. It has three modes Normal (for Fuel Economy 🤨) Sport (Default for me, I have V8. I want to use it), and there is a Snow mode for winter weather. I've only had to use it a few times but it with traction control gives you a solid feel. My previous car, 2010 Taurus SHO, was a beast in bad weather. I do miss the AWD from my old SHO sometimes. The Equus is a luxury car though. It's more of a cruiser, it's basically the car rich dudes in South Korea buy to get chauffeured around. There is arm rest in the back seat that allows you control everything. Although I don't see the point of the DVD player. Format aside, you can't use it when the car is in motion. Like who is going to sit in their car and watch movies 🤣

I'll have to borrow my gf's camera to take better pics of the gtir. Spend most of this first year owning it doing maintenance and repairs. Should get a fat work bonus and I'll use it to do some fun upgrades. Car has been fun though. First jdm car I've owned and the repairs were less than I thought they would be.

2015 Toyota Camry.

Also word of advice for those with Toyota cars from around that period of time these is a paint defect on some that causes it to peel. I advise looking into see if the your car falls under the non recall they are doing for it that may let them repaint it for you.

Also the touch screens from that period are janky and the bottom half dies on you which can make it hard to program the Bluetooth.

46 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

This is the Prius 2015 version/model -

Its gutless but I don't care.  I'm not in a hurry...ever, and its not like I drive in horrible conditions or need a lot of room.  Car drives nice and its freakin' great on gas.  That's really all I care about anymore

I’m the exact opposite of you.  All I care about is fast, working radio, working HVAC. Ain’t nobody gonna be in my car besides me lol 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2006 Dodge Charger R/T - Currently sitting at 310K Miles

PXL_20210724_175722487.jpg?width=1074&he

Some of the things I've done since I got her.  

• SRT Hood (Got it on one of the forums. It was already painted my car color 😊)
  • Corsa Cat-Back Exhaust
  • SRT Suspension (Bilstein B12 Shocks with Eibach lowering springs)
  • SRT Seats
  • 2020 Scat Pack wheels
  • Front and Rear Autobot Badging
  • Autobot Pistol-grip shifter (billet aluminum)
  • Polyurethane Rear cradle bushings
  • Mopar Cold Air Intake 
  • JBL Speaker Swap (3.5 in the dash, 6 X 9 all the way around. I still use the factory sub that came with my option package)
  • Pioneer Deck upgrade

Things I got planned in the near future

• Vinyl overlays
  • SRT Brembo (bought the spindles, brakes, and calipers)
  • Stainless Steel brake lines

If I can get 400K out of this car, I'll make not a single complaint.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:46 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

RWD isn't bad if you aren't an idiot with it. Don't floor it while making a left or right turn when exiting a parking lot in the rain.

THIS . . . . ALL OF THIS. Turned traction control off once in the rain and had a pucker moment about one month into ownership. 

19 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

THIS . . . . ALL OF THIS. Turned traction control off once in the rain and had a pucker moment about one month into ownership. 

I had a pucker moment in my G8 GT with traction control back in the day. I had just gotten my car detailed. I wanted to show off and punched it pulling out the parking lot. Problem, my tires were still wet. Traction control saved my ass. It looked cool so I played it off like I did it on purpose but I was scared as fuck for moment. I just got the damn car. 🤣 Little did I know that wet tires would be my ruin in about a year and a half 😔 I still miss that car. 😭

Holden, who GM owns, never stopped making power sedan and coupes at the time. The 2005 GTO my brother owns is a Holden Monaro. The G8/Chevy SS is a Holden Commodore. Unfortunately and ironically, due to the increase in the value of the Aussie Dollar, neither vehicle is a thing any more. Australia is too small a market to sustain local manufacturing and made their bread & butter on exporting. When their currency increased in value, exporting was no longer profitable. The GTO and G8/SS's cost more than they were sold for. IIRC the Aussie dollar went being 60 cents in US dollars to 80+ cents in US Dollars.

TLDR: The GTO, G8, and SS were really Australian cars made by Holden. Holden has no local manufacturing in Australia anymore due to an increase in their currencies value. 😔

@VhoziteWhat are you looking for in particular? Mustang/Camaro are cheaper to modify. BRZ is a bit on the slow side but has excellent handling. WRX is a beast in any weather on basically any terrain. 370Z has one of the best naturally aspirated V6's ever made.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

My neighbor has a GTO and it’s clearly his baby. Pontiac was my favorite brand as a kid it’s a shame they got canned.

@Darc_Requiemreally I’m just look for something exciting to drive, good looking, and automatic. The thing is that “exciting to drive” for me is a few different things so I’m not super picky. I like different things about different cars.  BRZ is lightweight coupe, V8 muscle cars have the sound/speed, etc.

In an ideal world I’d like a nice small AWD coupe but those are extremely rare outside of entry level luxury cars that come with a bunch of features I don’t care about. 

7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@VhoziteThe only AWD coupe on the smaller side I can think off with power is an Audi TT RS. Not sure how they handle or hold up over time. They have ben around for a while. So you may be able to find one in the your price range.

Edit: Nevermind, I looked them up. Even used they are expensive as hell.

Yeah I love those I’m too poor for that lmao

They have a base trim from the early 2010’s that can be reasonable-ish if you can find a good deal but they’re pretty hard to find. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Holden, who GM owns, never stopped making power sedan and coupes at the time. The 2005 GTO my brother owns is a Holden Monaro. The G8/Chevy SS is a Holden Commodore. Unfortunately and ironically, due to the increase in the value of the Aussie Dollar, neither vehicle is a thing any more. Australia is too small a market to sustain local manufacturing and made their bread & butter on exporting. When their currency increased in value, exporting was no longer profitable. The GTO and G8/SS's cost more than they were sold for. IIRC the Aussie dollar went being 60 cents in US dollars to 80+ cents in US Dollars.

For a time I was actually considering getting one of those cars because reasons. However, having a Charger just negated the reason. I saw no need to have two sports sedans. Speaking of the Holden cars, the modern Caprice is probably the closest that one can get for a "decent" cost. However, they've likely been beat up due to engine operating hours and the wear and tear on the transmission.

24 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

My neighbor has a GTO and it’s clearly his baby. Pontiac was my favorite brand as a kid it’s a shame they got canned.

A guy in my neighborhood babies his also. I think the guy got it as a retirement present. Best way to describe it is a metallic orange color. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Mustang/Camaro are cheaper to modify. BRZ is a bit on the slow side but has excellent handling. WRX is a beast in any weather on basically any terrain. 370Z has one of the best naturally aspirated V6's ever made.

I agree with everything said here. On the domestic side, the aftermarket for the Mustang/Camaro platform is pretty solid. I love the Mopar family, but parts aren't cheap in the aftermarket space. I will say that the HEMI platform at this point is virtually bulletproof. If you decide to go that route, note that the Charger, Challenger, 300, and Magnum are mechanically the same car. When I upgraded the suspension, I used the rear cradle from a 2009 car in my car (2006) in case I ever decide to go full jackass with power. The 09 cradle is the same used in the 2015 Hellcat. 

If you want to go drifting, the BRZ is a fun toy.

WRX is a solid all-around car. I used to get challenged by those quite a lot. AWD gets them off the line fast and as mentioned, handle great. They just remind me of street legal go carts. 

Oh and the 370Z deserves the chef's kiss. I'm not an "import guy" but respect that machine. The only import  car that I'd consider is a GTR. That's a mean car. Got a chance to drive one for a track experience. It earns the name Godzilla for a reason.

29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Nevermind, I looked them up. Even used they are expensive as hell.

This is why I laughed. Those cars values hold extremely well. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Oh yeah I love the Challenger, don’t know how I forgot to mention that. Definitely on my radar. I like the new  (like 2019+ I think) look of the Charger too. 

Not sure what your budget is, but the V6 is a pretty snappy engine. In the Mopar Community you have asshats who shame people who get the V6 version of the car. The only time shame is applicable is when you upbadge (e.g., Hellcat badges and vinyl when you have a 3.6L under the hood). 

41 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Thank you all for making me forget I'm an old codger that drives luxury cruiser for a few hours

We're at that age now where road feel is less a feature and more of a nuisance 🤣.

35 minutes ago, Genghis_Dong said:

Think I got everything I need to front mount my intercooler. Its going to be a bitch and a half to do. After that's in bigger turbo and everything else gets dropped in and off to the dyno. Hoping I don't have to butcher the bumper too much.

What kind of numbers are you trying to get to?

31 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@VhoziteNot trying to pry but what's your price range? The Infinity Q60 is an AWD drive coupe. Since you like the 370Z, it could be an option. It's got the same 3.7 V6 in some trims.

692787231d6c4f279d4a1c3b9ffe547c.jpg

Yeah I been looking at these. It’s annoying because for every one of these you see listed there is like 30 of the Q50 (the 4 door). I do really like these though. 

@OPTIMUS124yeah I’ve heard mixed things about the dodge v6 (pentastar?) engine. Idc what other people think but I would prefer a v8 if I’m driving a 4000 lb car like the challenger.

Edited by Vhozite
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

yeah I’ve heard mixed things about the dodge v6 (pentastar?) engine. Idc what other people think but I would prefer a v8 if I’m driving a 4000 lb car like the challenger.

It's not "bad" but if you are going to drive a 2 ton land yacht, you are better off with a v8 HEMI. Think about it, that platform has practically remained unchanged since 2003. The only real changes have been VVT (08) and a supercharger with adjustments to internal materials and displacement. 

From 2011 - 2020. Its insane to see how fast cars have gotten. 

Also, there are rumors that Dodge is going to make the Hellcat versions of the Charger and Challengers have an AWD switch. This is likely due to the Trackhawk and Durango being discontinued. Powerful car, but rubber doesn't meet the road at launch. This would fix that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers that car would put down with that change. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's not "bad" but if you are going to drive a 2 ton land yacht, you are better off with a v8 HEMI. Think about it, that platform has practically remained unchanged since 2003. The only real changes have been VVT (08) and a supercharger with adjustments to internal materials and displacement. 

From 2011 - 2020. Its insane to see how fast cars have gotten. 

Also, there are rumors that Dodge is going to make the Hellcat versions of the Charger and Challengers have an AWD switch. This is likely due to the Trackhawk and Durango being discontinued. Powerful car, but rubber doesn't meet the road at launch. This would fix that. It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers that car would put down with that change. 

I thought they didnt have room for AWD and the V8 engine on the current transmission? 

They offered that combo on the old chargers until like 2014 but that had the old 5speed auto.

This channel is mainly Mopar but offers some really good advice for a few builds.  He was a former Chrysler Tech for several years and decided to step out on his own. 

Reignited - Cycle and Automotive

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-nhl9hSvsrPLCZf9VtOrw

He does a "ask a tech" series and offers a ton of information during those vids. Again, primarily MOPAR. 

Two of the big ones for me were the Cheap hemi project challenge and a 5.7L Cam swap how-to . 

Edited by OPTIMUS124