Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If you don't mind me asking, what have you found in your range? I know it's a difficult car market. My Hyundai dealer finally stopped trying to buy my car back from me. 

 

TLDR: Shit sucks

 

Only thing new I been looking at is the BRZ. Unfortunately I been having a hard time getting info on MY23, let alone a test drive.

 

Used I really don’t want to spend more than 25k , but pickings are slim on anything half decent. Mainly been looking at:

 

Caprice PPV

Dodge Charger Pursuit/AWD Chargers

Infiniti q50/q60

BMW 135i
Old (pre-facelift) Dodge Challengers

 

Basically the cheapest V8’s I can find and good 6 cylinders cars. Unfortunately the BMW and the two cop cars are pretty rare, leaving the Challenger and the Infiniti’s as the most common cars. Been looking hard for an S550 Mustang (15-17) and I just can’t justify the prices people are asking between the miles and the next gen being right around the corner. 
 

 

 

 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

 

TLDR: Shit sucks

 

Only thing new I been looking at is the BRZ. Unfortunately I been having a hard time getting info on MY23, let alone a test drive.

 

Used I really don’t want to spend more than 25k , but pickings are slim on anything half decent. Mainly been looking at:

 

Caprice PPV

Dodge Charger Pursuit/AWD Chargers

Infiniti q50/q60

BMW 135i
Old (pre-facelift) Dodge Challengers

 

Basically the cheapest V8’s I can find and good 6 cylinders cars. Unfortunately the BMW and the two cop cars are pretty rare, leaving the Challenger and the Infiniti’s as the most common cars. Been looking hard for an S550 Mustang (15-17) and I just can’t justify the prices people are asking between the miles and the next gen being right around the corner. 
 

 

 

 

As a former G8 owner, the Caprice PPV won't be cheap to maintain. I had to go to the Pontiac dealer to get my wiper blades for example. The V8, L76, is from Holden in Australia. Parts won't be as common as the Hemi's in the Charger and Challengers. Those car share a platform with the 300. Plus they've sold far more many units. So parts would be more available and cheaper. 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

As a former G8 owner, the Caprice PPV won't be cheap to maintain. I had to go to the Pontiac dealer to get my wiper blades for example. The V8, L76, is from Holden in Australia. Parts won't be as common as the Hemi's in the Charger and Challengers. Those car share a platform with the 300. Plus they've sold far more many units. So parts would be more available and cheaper. 

Yeah I think they’re super cool but deep down I know owning it would be a headache…it’s the only reason I don’t already own one. 
 

Chargers are definitely top of my list so far. V8, sedan, and widely available parts because the platform is like 15 years old and still going. Drove one and other than the enormous blind spot behind the passenger c-pillar I really liked it.
 

But really the more I shop the more I’m leaning towards a BRZ simply because it would be 100% new, under warranty, and a better value. I’d consider other new cars but everything sporty is 40k or more and that’s more than I’m looking to spend right now. Not gonna be the stereotypical Dodge driver with an 80 month loan. 

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Damn it seems like the cars I’m looking at no matter what I buy my insurance is finna double lol

Any chance of snagging a sleeper? The insurance on my 2010 Taurus SHO was much cheaper than it should have been because the car was just classified as Taurus. I remember being surprised at how much it dropped when I switched from my G8 GT. An AWD, 365hp, Twin Turbo car with family sedan insurance rates 🤣 I actually miss that car, I didn't like it as much as the G8 but it was much more fun the drive than my Equus. It stuck to the road like glue and was great in wet/winter weather.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a really weird question. My current car currently has a permanent check engine light because I lost the OEM gas cap and I haven’t gotten one that will make the code go away.
 

If my car was to throw a check engine for another real issue would that make the light turn itself off? My car has been been getting cylinder misfires after/during rain. 
 

I really want to wait for prices to come down but it feels like every couple months my car has a new issue 

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Vhozite said:

If my car was to throw a check engine for another real issue would that make the light turn itself off? My car has been been getting cylinder misfires after/during rain. 

Nope. It'll likely just chime again when it's triggered and then just stay there. For the gas cap, have you thought about going to a pull-a-part junkyard? 

 

On 5/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Vhozite said:

. I swear upwards of 90% of cars are black or silver

 

 

On 5/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Vhozite said:

Used I really don’t want to spend more than 25k , but pickings are slim on anything half decent. Mainly been looking at:

 

Caprice PPV

Dodge Charger Pursuit/AWD Chargers

Infiniti q50/q60

BMW 135i
Old (pre-facelift) Dodge Challengers

I'm biased but the Charger/Challenger may be the way to go. Note that For V8s, you will not find them in AWD after 2018. The good thing about the Charger/Challenger is that the LX/LC platform has pretty much remained unchanged since 2006. Also, once a car becomes a fleet vehicle, you'll have parts both new and in the junkyard. 

 

On 5/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, Vhozite said:

How do we feel about BMW’s?

 

There is a nice 135i about it an hour from me  for a price I’m willing to pay but I always hear horror stories about BMW maintenance. 

If it wasn't for cost, I'd probably have a BMW. With maintenance, that's been my understanding. My brother has a 2019 850 and it's a performance monster .

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Yeah as far as used I’ve narrowed the search down to Challenger/AWD Charger/Mustang GT but finding reasonable copies of all 3 has been difficult. Started searching nationwide for good deals. I have a good idea of the mods I’d perform on all 3 but honestly I can’t say I have a preference between them. All 3 have pros/cons.
 

I wouldn’t mind waiting if I could get a definitive answer on when things will normalize but people just seem to be throwing out arbitrary dates with no evidence.

Edited by Vhozite
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah as far as used I’ve narrowed the search down to Challenger/AWD Charger/Mustang GT but finding reasonable copies of all 3 has been difficult. Started searching nationwide for good deals. I have a good idea of the mods I’d perform on all 3 but honestly I can’t say I have a preference between them. All 3 have pros/cons.
 

I wouldn’t mind waiting if I could get a definitive answer on when things will normalize but people just seem to be throwing out arbitrary dates with no evidence.

What's funny is that when I was looking for cars back in 06, it was between the Charger R/T and Mustang GT. Charger won simply because it was a more practical vehicle. What you plan to do to the vehicle is really going to determine what you should get? 

 

 

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

What's funny is that when I was looking for cars back in 06, it was between the Charger R/T and Mustang GT. Charger won simply because it was a more practical vehicle. What you plan to do to the vehicle is really going to determine what you should get? 

Yeah Charger is the practical pick out of the group. Even without the AWD it’s still a NA sedan with widely available parts. The Challenger is the best looking, and the Mustang is the lightest of the 3. All have the V8
 

My future plans aren’t the only thing it’s just one of the factors outside of the normal stuff like price, miles, etc. With my next car I want to get deeper into cars and learn more, so I don’t want something that perfect, if that makes sense. Something that’ll be fun stock but also something I’ll also have fun upgrading if I choose to do that. I have things I want to do to all of them but if I left them stock I’d still enjoy all 3.

 

 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, Vhozite said:

How do we feel about BMW’s?

 

There is a nice 135i about it an hour from me  for a price I’m willing to pay but I always hear horror stories about BMW maintenance. 

My Dad owns an autoshop, and for the most part used BMWs are cheap because you will constantly be forced to do expensive maintenance and they will probably always have an oil leak somewhere.  Used luxury used cars are usually cheap for a reason.

Edited by J-ride
Link to comment
On 6/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, Vhozite said:

Yeah Charger is the practical pick out of the group. Even without the AWD it’s still a NA sedan with widely available parts. The Challenger is the best looking, and the Mustang is the lightest of the 3. All have the V8
 

My future plans aren’t the only thing it’s just one of the factors outside of the normal stuff like price, miles, etc. With my next car I want to get deeper into cars and learn more, so I don’t want something that perfect, if that makes sense. Something that’ll be fun stock but also something I’ll also have fun upgrading if I choose to do that. I have things I want to do to all of them but if I left them stock I’d still enjoy all 3.

 

 

You can find an R/T for a decent price (albeit higher miles). My next trick is to install Brembos on the Charger. I got the entire package pretty cheap. All I need is to find stainless steel brake lines and then the work can begin. 

Link to comment

Just got my car fixed. Water was getting in the engine compartment (again) and shorting out my sparks (again). Had a major cylinder misfire because of it. I also have an exhaust leak, but my exhaust is so rusted they say I really need a complete new one. 
 

Long story short my car needs a fuckton in repairs. 

Also I absolutely hate car dealers. Getting information from some of these places is like pulling teeth. They’ll spam your contact info with meaningless messages but the instant you have a real question you can’t get a hold of anyone.

 

The good news is I got another quote from my insurance agent and the car I really want (11-12 Mustang GT) would be fairly cheap to insure compared to everything else I’ve looked at. 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Just got my car fixed. Water was getting in the engine compartment (again) and shorting out my sparks (again). Had a major cylinder misfire because of it. I also have an exhaust leak, but my exhaust is so rusted they say I really need a complete new one. 
 

Long story short my car needs a fuckton in repairs. 

Water is a great killer of cars in so many ways. 

 

6 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The good news is I got another quote from my insurance agent and the car I really want (11-12 Mustang GT) would be fairly cheap to insure compared to everything else I’ve looked at. 

Good luck with that. Out of the more modern revisions of the Mustang (05+) I like that one the most. It looks both classic and modern at the same time. The more recent car (e.g., 2021) looks strange to me. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
Link to comment
4 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Good luck with that. Out of the more modern revisions of the Mustang (05+) I like that one the most. It looks both classic and modern at the same time. The more recent car (e.g., 2021) looks strange to me. 

Yeah I’ve always liked the mustangs looks until 2018, which is the current style. It’s looks like a droopy fish version of the 15-17 look. The Mach-1 loos ok though. 
 

Main issue with getting a stang is of course prices. They’ve only gone up since December and the prices people want are absolutely ridiculous.

Link to comment
30 minutes ago, JGreen said:

Congrats. What’s your build looking like?

Very simple


Ignition Red

Premium (base) trim 

Automatic transmission

Rear Bumper Appliqué 

 

Initially I wanted the Limited trim but after taxes/fees it would’ve been more than I wanted to spend. Option wise there just wasn’t much I wanted and most of it was overpriced anyway.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@Vhozitein November

There is actually an area near where I live everyone calls “The Valley” and I can’t wait to drive there when my car comes. Usually people go there to smoke weed but it’s actually a super scenic and windy array of back roads through a small forest. Super fun to drive back there.

 

So yeah that’ll definitely be me lol

Edited by Vhozite
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

There is actually an area near where I live everyone calls “The Valley” and I can’t wait to drive there when my car comes. Usually people go there to smoke weed but it’s actually a super scenic and windy array of back roads through a small forest. Super fun to drive back there.

 

So yeah that’ll definitely be me lol

Ah, so this would be more accurate then. 👍🏾

 

fast-and-furious-tokyo-drift.gif

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select