Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)

Infiniti Q60 discontinued 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40884042/infiniti-q60-sports-coupe-discontinued-2023/

It’s honestly a wonder this car lasted as long as it did, and I say that as someone who likes them. Unpopular model from unpopular brand. 

Would be extremely surprised if Infiniti was still around in 10 years. They have no identity or prestige as a brand and their offering have lagged behind the competition for at least a decade. The only good thing I’ve heard about them is that they are good performance for the money if you buy them used since they depreciate super hard. Now they’re just slightly less overpriced than everything else. 

On 8/11/2022 at 4:24 PM, Vhozite said:

Speaking of the Z

honestly before watching the video (SG is my favorite car channel) I didn’t really care about the Z at all. But afterwards I gotta say I can really appreciate what Nissan has done with it. 

That being said, that grill opening is a crime against humanity. They stressed the need for the engine to get extra air flow and cooling but that cut out has to be the laziest excuse for styling ive ever seen in my life. The rest of the car has immaculate styling, yet they couldn’t do better than a gaping rectangular hole?

If they make a nismo model im buying it

Edited by Genghis_Dong

I don’t want to live in this timeline anymore. Dodge is discontinuing the Challenger and Charger next year

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/dodge-challenger-charger-to-be-discontinued-in-2023.html?__source=iosappshare|com.apple.UIKit.activity.CopyToPasteboard

Soon the Mustang will be the only one of the boys left 😞

Until now I’ve been firm on my BRZ but American V8’s are being taken behind the barn and shot in the head. Considering making a financially irresponsible decision.

Edited by Vhozite
3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Something about the proportions on that concept car look off to me. I really don’t like the rear. 

Kinda lukewarm on it otherwise. Respect to Dodge for trying something cool unlike every other EV but I still don’t really care about this.

It's a hatchback. I do think that fashion has to address function there. 

Update from my dealer and my car in now expected to arrive in December when I was originally told October. 

Not sure what I’m gonna do. December is longer than I expected to wait for my car (would be a 6 month wait total), and I’m not sure I would’ve gone through with the deal if I knew that was the case from the beginning. Want to stay the course so I don’t loose the 2K deposit I put down but I’m still kinda pissed.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Anyone ever use a car shipping company? Looking to buy something from a seller a couple hours drive away from me but unless I can get someone to go with me idk how I’m gonna get that car and my current car home. 

I used one to get my car from VA  to vegas. Expensive and they took forever to pick it up. Can you one way rent a car and drive yours back?

Edit: dude who drove it looked and sounded like zangief so that was cool at least.

Edited by Genghis_Dong
2 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Honestly, not really feeling that. Maybe it's just me, but it looks less aggressive. 

I think it looks better than the current model, but otherwise I find it pretty middling looks wise. Not different enough to a true next gen imo.

Interior is absolutely dog shit imo. Another vehicle losing tactile controls in favor of a screen slapped on as haphazardly as possible.  

Edited by Vhozite
25 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I think it looks better than the current model, but otherwise I find it pretty middling looks wise. Not different enough to a true next gen imo.

Interior is absolutely dog shit imo. Another vehicle losing tactile controls in favor of a screen slapped on as haphazardly as possible.  

I think car manufacturers need to realize that moving everything to a touch screen is bad business. Sure, climate controls and radio are OK, but everything else (e.g., vent adjustments, mirrors, and windows) are a terrible choice. 

Now that I’ve seen the 7th Gen Mustang and have basically no interest in it, I’m not sure who I would consider my favorite manufacturer. 

* Dodge: axing their V8 offerings way early, and as of right now won’t sell anything I want in 2024.

* Ford: completely phoning it in for the 7th Gen Stang. 

* Toyota: doesn’t even make their sports cars

* Subaru: killed off the STI and is beating the regular WRX with the ugly stick while deliberately keeping it mediocre.

* Porsche: absolutely lovely cars but I can’t afford anything they make 😭 

I hope someone can make EV’s exciting cause rn the future looks bleak for my interest in cars. Dodge is at least trying so kudos to them. 

• 3 weeks later...

My current car has developed a radiator leak. Looked at it today with a coworker as a second set of eyes and after a couple mins on it started spraying out a pin hole in the front.

My BRZ should’ve been here by now and it feels like my Forestor is falling apart in the meantime. 😭 

Me and a coworker found the leak in my radiator, so I was able to slap some JB Weld on the small hole. After letting it cure over the weekend it’s so far so good today. 

In other news, at some point I really want to own a Pontiac Fiero as a project car. It’s small, light, mid-engine, pop-up headlights, and made by my favorite brand. I really wish there was a modern equivalent that didn’t cost C8 money or higher.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Me and a coworker found the leak in my radiator, so I was able to slap some JB Weld on the small hole. After letting it cure over the weekend it’s so far so good today. 

In other news, at some point I really want to own a Pontiac Fiero as a project car. It’s small, light, mid-engine, pop-up headlights, and made by my favorite brand. I really wish there was a modern equivalent that didn’t cost C8 money or higher.

I wanted a Fiero when I was younger. I wanted to engine swap the V6 for or an L98 V8. Apparently swapping Vette V8's were thing for the Fiero. I figured, in my head of course, that a 10+ year old  (at the time) L98 V8 could be had for decent price. I

1 hour ago, J-ride said:

A V8 in a feiro would be wild.  You might need to swap transmissions as I'm not sure if the stock transmission could handle that much power.  Here is a good source for completing the swap if you are interested. 

https://www.v8fiero.com/

I just looked into this further. I wouldn't have been able to do it, at least not cheaply. Although now, I'd be much easier. The LS4 from Impala SS or Grand Prix GXP is mounted transversely, so the powertrain would be a far better match. Those engines should be relatively common, should be cheaper to maintain, and make more power than the 4.6 Northstar from that build. That said, if you want a stick, you'd have to hunt transmission that fits the Fiero's configuration. I'm sure GM made something that would do the job at some point in the last 25 years.

https://www.lsxmag.com/news/video-a-ls4-v8-powered-pontiac-fiero/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Genghis_Dong said:

Mechanic quoted my buddy $2200 to replace his fuel pump on a Kia optima......I did it in 15 min. Dirty mfers out there man.

It's literally 5 screw and 4 plugs wtf

Stuff like this is why I do my best to do everything I can on my own even with my extremely limited knowledge. In my area shops are charging out the wazoo and they’re over booked, so if your car needs an emergency unexpected repair you wait days and get raked over the coals.

1 hour ago, JGreen said:

How did you guys get into working on your own cars? I’ve heard my car is easy to work on, but I have zero mechanical knowledge and don’t want to wreck my car. 

Start with small stuff. Youtube probably has a video for whatever you want to do on any car you have. If you aren't doing major work you can do it if you have the tools/videos.

13 hours ago, JGreen said:

How did you guys get into working on your own cars? I’ve heard my car is easy to work on, but I have zero mechanical knowledge and don’t want to wreck my car. 

Well I took auto tech in high school before I was really into cars so I already knew some of the basics. But really it starts when you need something done and you don’t have the time or money to get it done at a shop.

• 1 month later...

@Darc_Requiem

Bad news: My old car started shitting itself and I needed a new car quickly. I have to cancel my BRZ order since it’s 2 months overdue and Subaru still couldn’t tell me when it was arriving 😕

Good news: Got my childhood (attainable) dream car instead

IMG_1056.jpg

Coming from beaters and economy cars holy shit it’s fast. Passing 99.9% of cars on the highway is child’s play. 

I giggled like a toddler the first time I heard the cold start. Drove it home over 100 miles.

Edited by Vhozite

@VhoziteHey be careful man. Everyone I know, myself included, that got their first V8 chirped/spun their tires and drove must faster than they intended. I know when I got my G8 GT, I had Cavalier prior. Going from 140hp/150tq to 355hp/384tq was a fun adjustment. First time I was got on an uncongested highway, I-10, I thought i was doing 80mph.....I was actually doing 115mph. I thought it was just me, but when my boy visited me from VA he did the same thing driving us back from Bourbon St. When my friend got his Vette back in the day, he had Corolla previously, he spun his tired leaving the parking lot at work. Cop pulled him over and asked him "Just got it didn't you?" He told him "He had a Corolla before." Cop gave him a warning and let him go.