Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)

12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

snip

Man coming home there wasn’t even any opportunity for hooliganism. It was literally snowing when we got to the dealer, so between the road conditions, having my mom in the car, and being over 100 miles from familiar roads I drove super safe.

I did notice right away that I had to pay attention to the speedo and couldn’t rely on feel. My old car wasn’t slow but you definitely knew when you going 60 and above. I’ve only had the 5.0 up to about 80mph so far and you can’t even tell because of how effortlessly it pulls.

Im definitely disposed to asshole behavior but I’ve been taking it real easy to far. In my mind this car is what I slave away all day for, so I really don’t want to crash it being a dickhead. 

Whew lawd this girl pulls. Took her to 120 (for legal reasons I’ll say) kph this morning on one of the several mile long straights during my commute. I meant to go fast to pass someone but truthfully I didn’t intend to go as quick as I was. Gave it some gas around 80 and looked down 10 seconds later I was well into triple digits. Was cool and kinda scary at the same time. 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Vhozite said:

@Darc_Requiem

Bad news: My old car started shitting itself and I needed a new car quickly. I have to cancel my BRZ order since it’s 2 months overdue and Subaru still couldn’t tell me when it was arriving 😕

Good news: Got my childhood (attainable) dream car instead

IMG_1056.jpg

Coming from beaters and economy cars holy shit it’s fast. Passing 99.9% of cars on the highway is child’s play. 

I giggled like a toddler the first time I heard the cold start. Drove it home over 100 miles.

Awesome ride!

On 12/17/2022 at 1:48 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

@VhoziteHey be careful man. Everyone I know, myself included, that got their first V8 chirped/spun their tires and drove must faster than they intended. I know when I got my G8 GT, I had Cavalier prior. Going from 140hp/150tq to 355hp/384tq was a fun adjustment. First time I was got on an uncongested highway, I-10, I thought i was doing 80mph.....I was actually doing 115mph. I thought it was just me, but when my boy visited me from VA he did the same thing driving us back from Bourbon St. When my friend got his Vette back in the day, he had Corolla previously, he spun his tired leaving the parking lot at work. Cop pulled him over and asked him "Just got it didn't you?" He told him "He had a Corolla before." Cop gave him a warning and let him go.

Truer words have never been spoken. Also remember, that you gotta learn and respect the car. Doing dumb stuff on day 1 gets increases the chance of getting it totaled on day 5. 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:41 PM, JGreen said:

Congrats on the new car! Definitely try to temper your driving when around others. I’ve learned to never overestimate my abilities and never underestimate the stupidity of other drivers. Honestly, the thing I appreciate the most on my car are the improved brakes. However even that can get you into trouble as other cars can’t brake as well. 

Exactly. I've had a few questionable moments with my Charger because I was young and dumb at the time. Of course "spirited" driving on occasion is one thing, but don't be a jackass on a crowded street.

Did the brakes on my Durango the other day. First time I really got a good look at the truck since I've owned it. The one thing that got my attention were the exhaust manifolds

qEIV-zZR7LopTA-0Otn-HzzijWrWJccXJCO_eJy8

Now on the 5.7L HEMI, they are tiny. I was surprised to find that the heat shield was gone but also one of the rear bolt heads are missing. Looks like some years back, someone attempted a repair and didn't get it in all the way. I suspected that I had some sort of exhaust issue. In the AM I was getting a "ticking" noise briefly but would close up after a few seconds and came from the passenger side. I would be shocked if there is a gasket there. 

Headers will possibly be on deck if I decide to fix it. There is no MIL and no (noticeable) loss in performance. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

@OPTIMUS124i watched this vid a couple days ago. The spec sheet on the demon is impressive and it sounds like pure bliss, but then it loses the drag race because it can’t get traction and it makes the car seem silly. The roll race was the money shot though…very tense race. I actually appreciate the Challenger more as a somewhat practical fun car. Big engine options and still enough room to haul people and some cargo. 

C8 is amazinggg. I’ll never own one but every video I see about the car makes me love it more. I hated the way they looked when it first debuted but I really can’t hate on it now.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, Vhozite said:

C8 is amazinggg. I’ll never own one but every video I see about the car makes me love it more. I hated the way they looked when it first debuted but I really can’t hate on it now.

As former Car & Driver subscriber, I was shocked to see even C&D find virtually no fault with the C8. Hell their tag line for it in the Top Best Car list plays off of this. It's, and I am paraphrasing. "Toss us the keys and we'll try to find something wrong with it." 

Edit: @Emptyeyes_I don't know man. The mid 70s to mid 80s (with few exceptions) was a low point for me. Manufacturers hadn't gotten a handle on emissions and power dropped off heavily. You had V8's putting out laughably low HP numbers. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I’m just using the stock mats in my car. However, there are plenty of options out there for floor mats. The two best companies outside of Weather Tech that I can think of are Lloyd Mats and Cocomats. Between those companies, I’d only get Weather Tech if I was dealing with lots of rain or snow. Otherwise, I’d go with Lloyd Mats as I like the idea of custom carpet floor mats. 

For even more customization for Lloyd Mats there’s this site: https://www.high-end-motorsports.com/shop-by-category-floor-mats.html

It’s a small husband and wife run company that can do embroidery and some other customization. 

Edited by JGreen
12 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What car mats you guys use? I’ve heard good things about Weather tech but I’m just curious if they’re the only game in town. 

I like weather tech in the front, but their back seat floormats were oddly shaped (they were giant cups) and my kids warped them by stepping on them.  I switched to a flat rubber in the back.

Jfc brake kits are expensive. Most are in the $1k-2k range but some of them are over $3000?! For that I’ll just stick to upgrading the rotors/pads/lines.

After a couple weeks of ownership I still love my car. I’m much more used to the speed and driving it feels much less dangerous. In fact I’m getting so normalized to the speed that the car is starting to feel “slow”. Cold start is loud but after the first 20 seconds the volume is much more reasonable. I can’t imagine going back to something more pedestrian sounding. It’s also soooo nice having a car with even semi-modern options. Backup camera, remote start, Bluetooth from the factory, etc.

All that said it’s definitely not perfect. After driving it for a bit I’m definitely not a fan of the solid rear axle. It’s fine on well maintained roads but on shitty roads the car really don’t feel good to drive. Pot holes feel super rough to hit and sometimes hitting bumps around turns you will feel the rear step out a bit. I don’t really blame the car for this as much as the government (because wtf are they doing with my tax money) but still. Gas wise I would like if the car was maybe 10% more efficient or at least had a bigger gas tank. Cost isn’t really an issue so much as its frequency of needing to fill up.

In terms of things actually wrong with the car, one of the HVAC motors is going bad, and im pretty sure the rear defroster doesn’t work. But it’s ran perfect otherwise. 

Actually I want to rant about this for a second…road quality here is absolutely ridiculous. 

Delaware: Del Memorial bridge has had work being done for the entire ~20 months I’ve been commuting over it and not once have they even pretended to address the super shit road surface. All it’s a bit sad how you can tell areas of the have’s and the have-not’s based on the road quality. The state will waste money repaving near perfect roads where I live every two years while ignoring the roads in town that feel like fucking rock crawling trails or the sections of uneven highway that have gone unaddressed for the entire 20+ years I’ve lived here.

Rural South Jersey: Either great or complete dog shit. Within the span of 1 minute you will go from the smoothest roads you’ve ever driven on to roads that feel like they haven’t been repaved since the 1950’s.

10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

After a couple weeks of ownership I still love my car. I’m much more used to the speed and driving it feels much less dangerous. In fact I’m getting so normalized to the speed that the car is starting to feel “slow”.

Hahaha. Yeah after awhile, you'll really need an open stretch of road for your car to feel fast. Performance cars feel so stable at 80 mph compared to most cars that it feels slow. It's a very weird sensation to describe until you drive one for a bit. By the way, did you get new floor mats? 

Edited by JGreen
1 hour ago, Genghis_Dong said:

Give us the details

There is a road where is mostly straight for a few miles but eventually goes from two lanes to one. SUV was camping the left lane so I went to pass…expected a soccer mom not paying attention and ended up in an impromptu race when the SUV sped up after I got over. Into triple digits wondering how I haven’t passed this guy yet and right as I start to pull away the lights came on. 

Thanks all the gods he didn’t pull me over…was doing ~110 in a 55…wouldve been ugly. He just put the lights on for a few seconds to spook me back to legal speeds and passed 😂

Whew lawd my heart never dropped so fast in my life. 

TLDR: I’m stupid but got lucky 

Edited by Vhozite
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 5:46 PM, Genghis_Dong said:

Took my girls rogue in for maintenance and the dealership had a new Z in. They asking for 90 grand lol. 40k markup. No thanks. Can buy a used gtr for cheaper. 

I honestly think dealers are killing the new Z. It’s a solid car at its msrp but nowhere close to that kind of markup. 

In regards to the e-ray, I actually like it more than the Z06. I’m not a fan of all the aero on the Z06 though I know I’m in the minority there. 

Edited by JGreen
On 1/18/2023 at 8:46 PM, Genghis_Dong said:

Took my girls rogue in for maintenance and the dealership had a new Z in. They asking for 90 grand lol. 40k markup. No thanks. Can buy a used gtr for cheaper. 

The same new Z that had a stop sale because both the auto and manual transmissions had factory defects within the first month of sales? The same new Z that’s $40k and doesn’t have a standard LSD? The new Z that’s basically objectively inferior to the 3.0 Supra?

I like the new Z but Nissan dealers are high. Probably why I’ve still never seen one on the road. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The same new Z that had a stop sale because both the auto and manual transmissions had factory defects within the first month of sales? The same new Z that’s $40k and doesn’t have a standard LSD? The new Z that’s basically objectively inferior to the 3.0 Supra?

I like the new Z but Nissan dealers are high. Probably why I’ve still never seen one on the road. 

I still want one because I'm a nissan simp, but yeah....waiting for inventory to catch up and a couple years for them to work out the kinks. I hear some bad rumors about the turbos blowing too 😕

Do y’all wash your car yourselves or take it to the car wash? I’ve only ever driven beaters and let the rain do it but now I actually kinda care how my car looks lol.

Also, for my next car I think I’m going back to AWD if I can find something I actually like. Having driven all 3 now, my hierarchy is

AWD>RWD>>>FWD

I know guys like burnouts and drifting and stuff but I don’t care about that shit at all and I like the extra grip of 4 driven wheels. Problem is there is so few AWD cars that I like more than my Mustang. Most comparable I’ve seen are the 5.7L AWD Chargers, but the 13-14 models are rare and the 15+ would cost nearly double to insure.

The Germans have nice options but I don’t want something from the until I can properly wrench myself. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Do y’all wash your car yourselves or take it to the car wash? I’ve only ever driven beaters and let the rain do it but now I actually kinda care how my car looks lol.

Also, for my next car I think I’m going back to AWD if I can find something I actually like. Having driven all 3 now, my hierarchy is

AWD>RWD>>>FWD

I know guys like burnouts and drifting and stuff but I don’t care about that shit at all and I like the extra grip of 4 driven wheels. Problem is there is so few AWD cars that I like more than my Mustang. Most comparable I’ve seen are the 5.7L AWD Chargers, but the 13-14 models are rare and the 15+ would cost nearly double to insure.

The Germans have nice options but I don’t want something from the until I can properly wrench myself. 

I have a hand wash station place near me so I use that.  I'll call the detailer once or twice a year for a better clean.

Just use the coin wash near my house. I have gotten it detailed once in a three years and will probability do it again sometime. My main problem with the coin wash is that it doesn’t work well at cleaning all the brake dust off my tires and wheels. I might buy some stuff to take care of that. 

edit: Oh. Forgot to mention my car has a ppf and ceramic coating on it which goes a long way to making it look clean despite not washing it for a month or more. 

Edited by JGreen

@VhoziteI loved my G8. I got detailed a Carwash in Louisiana. They introduced a monthly pass for $80 a month (this was 2011). That saved me money. I was up there at least once a  week. The first time I went home for Thanksgiving, I was gone for a week and half. They were actually worried about it. It was so bad that if my car ever got dirty people asked if was okay. Only car I ever threated like that. Now I got through the Autobell. I liked my SHO. My Equus is cool. I loved that G8 GT.

As FWD, RWD, AWD debate. There is none. It's between AWD and RWD. No one that enjoys driving is picking FWD by choice. I like RWD a lot I agree with you Vhozite. AWD has the edge. The one thing I appreciated about my SHO was it was AWD. It was damp out I could pull out of a parking lot with minimal difference. With my G8 GT and now my Equus, I have to take more care. You punch it right away while turning into a road with RWD and your back end will get loose. Which is fun but dangerous if you go to far. AWD is another story. It's safer to drive hard and plus it's plain handy in inclement weather.

Yeah the main thing is how much attention I have to pay to the throttle. Driving AWD has made me impatient as I’m used to being able to get on the gas much earlier coming out of a turn. Learning where the limit is has been fun but like you said gotta be careful on public roads. I was talking to a guy about my car and when I left I almost became the stereotypical Mustang driver cause I tried sending into too early leaving the parking lot LOL. 

However RWD is definitely forcing me to become a better driver. When I’m not being a tool I pay much closer attention to how I drive now. 

1 hour ago, J-ride said:

I'm also of the opinion that AWD drivers get lulled into a false sense of security about how well their vehicle handles.  I've seen several Subarus in ditches because the driver thought they could haul ass in a rainstorm.

Yeah AWD or 4WD doesn't mean you can drive like it's Sunny day. Back in the day when I worked at Dominos my co-worker would driver around in when it snowed to pull people out of the ditch with his truck for extra cash. Most of the people he had to help had 4WD trucks. People out here thinking AWD turns your car into the Mach 5. You ain't Speed Racer fam, slow your roll.

11 hours ago, J-ride said:

I'm also of the opinion that AWD drivers get lulled into a false sense of security about how well their vehicle handles.  I've seen several Subarus in ditches because the driver thought they could haul ass in a rainstorm.

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah AWD or 4WD doesn't mean you can drive like it's Sunny day. Back in the day when I worked at Dominos my co-worker would driver around in when it snowed to pull people out of the ditch with his truck for extra cash. Most of the people he had to help had 4WD trucks. People out here thinking AWD turns your car into the Mach 5. You ain't Speed Racer fam, slow your roll.

21b03258e55ce5a8539e31d9506963035413261c

Some 12/13 year old kid told me she likes my Mustang. Let her get in and rev it a bit…honestly I think it made my day just as much as hers lol. A kid thinks my car is cool!?

Man I don’t think I can drive anything else. The best thing about my car is sharing the joy it brings me with other people. It’s great meeting people who love it just as much as I do 🙌🏽 

Did my first solo oil change yesterday 😎 getting under a jacked car still gives me the heebie jeebies though. Even when I use the stands and the jack and quadruple check that the car is secure it still makes me uneasy. 

It was fun being able to “work on” my car though. I almost wish there was something wrong so I could have more reason to mess with it lol.

Also I hit some windy back roads after getting lost trying to go a different way home and lol Mustang is NOT a corner carver 😂 first time ever driving her that the car felt unwieldy. 

Unrelated, but I swear Corvette drivers are all carbon copies of each other. They even dress the same lol.

I was supposed to donate my old Subaru to Goodwill tomorrow. I went to go grab the documents out of the glove box and after sitting back in drivers seat for a minute I broke down.

I can’t get rid of it…it’s my first car and I’m just not ready. Too many memories. Everything worth a damn I’ve ever done in my life was in this car or happened while I owned it. 

I’ve been driving the Mustang for months now and it still does not feel like my car…it’s just a cool car I drive. The Forestor feels like MY CAR. Apart of my family. I don’t make a shitton of money but I’m gonna get him fixed up and keep it. If I can’t afford to keep both I’ll just sell the Stang. It’s cool and fun as hell to drive, but everyday I feel like the guy stepping on his sickly but loving wife to chase some supermodel.

Edited by Vhozite
On 1/20/2023 at 3:11 AM, JGreen said:

I honestly think dealers are killing the new Z. It’s a solid car at its msrp but nowhere close to that kind of markup. 

In regards to the e-ray, I actually like it more than the Z06. I’m not a fan of all the aero on the Z06 though I know I’m in the minority there. 

I hate how so many dealers are pulling bullshit like this now.  These dealers are starting to act like the assholes who sell Ferraris.  I noped out of getting my wife a new Bronco because the dealer wanted 25-30k over MSRP when they launched. 

What's next am I gonna have to put a premium down next time I want a minivan?