Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

After watching that video you now know 95% of all you need to know to either play as or against May.

Finally ran into one in +R the other day. Sort of sucks because HoS doesn't feel like he has great anti dolphin tools (a phrase I'd never though I'd type in my life; another reason FGs are great) but I still really enjoyed the match up because it's so loopy and aggro.

Edited by GetTheTables

So I've been throwing on Ryan Hunter's replay reviews while doing hobby stuff. Some really good stuff in the ones I've watched so far (I started at the most recent and am working my way backwards). He does a great job of explaining things (sometimes maybe a little too thorough of a job but hey better too much than not enough)  and its a really good way to get insights into +R in general along with a lot of the cast. Bonus points if your character comes up and you get new tech.

Worth a look for anyone on the +R train, and also worth bearing in mind for when Strive comes out in case he starts making stuff for that. 

My quick thoughts:

I think adjusting the arcs will help a decent bit. I mentioned it around the 2nd beta but the arcs being so shallow felt off due to exactly what EC said: because the jump arcs were so acute it was actually kinda easy to whiff AAs. And as a Ram player I felt like the shallow arcs only exacerbated the strength of her normals: the jumps were stubby so I wasn't super worried about being jumped in on (airdash or bust) and j.S was a real motherfucker of a button with that shallow arc.

I appreciate that they recognize that the connection rate was boned up. The lobbies are still janky but with rematches in place at least you don't have to hang out in them too long. The last real bad hurdle is how often making a connection or even readying up would break. Once that is smoothed out, the lobbies will be more bearable. And praise be we won't even have to go to the park to play each other! I'll miss the fountain hang outs....no I won't.

After that hopefully they can optimize to make the act of connecting to someone else a little faster (its not super slow but it feels just a touch slower than maybe it should be, although that may just be PS4). 

Its close. I can almost smell the game.

48 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

snip

If they adjust air dashes to be a bit stronger again, we'll get some good stuff.

The air offense wasn't really a problem in OB1, the problem was lack of defense, which was obviously fixed when they made 6P's do 6P things again. I still think that dedicated AAs like them should be Air Unblockable like P4A had them, but it could be worse.

The lobbies sound fire, ngl. Online training and training while waiting for your turn is a great feature for tournaments and the like.

I agree, the 6P buffs felt good in this version. I don't agree with air unblockable states for AAs in this game though.

Even though this game is less vertical than previous GGs it is clear they still want there to be a strong aerial component to it. If you make one alpha-AA ability it really constrains that, unless you make it FD blockable, and then you're just right back to the old GG FD air block dynamic which they have clearly stated they don't want in this game. Moreover if 6Ps were air unblockable they'd probably have to do a fair bit of work around what damage you can get off them otherwise jumping at all starts to feel real bad, which would probably be hard to do with the RC system in this game. 

You also already have a potentially really strong air unblockable answer in air throw. Once people get more comfortable with air throw-RC combos, getting air thrown is going to lead to fat damage. That opens up the RPS of early air button to beat the throw, which loses to a grounded AA, which isn't as effective against empty jump, etc,. I think the big thing is just balancing out AA'ing so that it generally doesn't feel "bad" to AA (6P works as intended, DPs aren't punishably negative when air blocked) while jumps continue to feel like a valid approach option.

I think they're getting there. Air dashes definitely felt stubby (especially air backdash which felt like the appendix organ of all your movement options) . Considering Strive is them trying to come up with a fresh engine there is definitely going to be some tweaking time. Remember how many seasons it took SFV to iron out the AA situation, and that game still adheres to most "SF" conventions so theoretically they should have known how to tune it out of the gate. 

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

@Skort That is her theme from X2.

Much love, much love indeed bro ❤️    I need to find the tabs for this because damn it sounds good.  

I haven't picked my Ibanez in ages but it's time.  I-No appears to have a Gibson, hopefully we still chill  😅

Edited by Skort
4 hours ago, Volt said:

That combo maker stuff sounds hype af. Story opening was sick, but I hope the release has subs so I can play with JP audio.

We might be witnessing greatness in the making.

I honestly saw this story trailer and one of my first thoughts was “NRS is going to shit themselves”.

i am so fucking lost. I honestly want to get this game and run through all of the arcade modes and story before labbing my character and get games in. This is nuts for a FG, but the story mode looks awesome and I don’t want it spoiled for me.

also, I have pre-ordered the ultimate edition and I just booted up my PS5 and this game is pre-downloading. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like it’ll be playable until Tues night at midnight but I’m so fucking pumped. I really haven’t been this excited for a fighting game for a very long time time.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

i am so fucking lost. I honestly want to get this game and run through all of the arcade modes and story before labbing my character and get games in. This is nuts for a FG, but the story mode looks awesome and I don’t want it spoiled for me.

Yeah, I might legit unplug my PC when the game comes out until I can actually play it, even though I could steal a ton of tech in 3 days.

ArcSys reminding us that they're still the GOAT.

Wow.gif

1 hour ago, Skort said:

So what characters are you fine people planning to learn ?  

I will be going for I-No and Millia.

I've enjoyed what I've played of Ram so far because, well it's Ram. I think I may stick with her but playing HoS in +R has given me an appreciation for being more of a bulldog so someone a little more aggro like Gio is interesting as well. I feel like I'm just biding my time until Johnny shows up. 😍

1 hour ago, Skort said:

I'll be starting off with I-No as I've mostly been playing her in +R.  I've also been learning a bit of Ky on the side, so I'll be giving him a try as well.  Also Gio looks like fun and I'm side eyeing Zato.  But I'm going to have wait until Friday to see how everyone feels...

(Everyone will be pushed aside when Dizzy appears though.)

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

By the way, all of the character themes are on YouTube right now. If you didn’t like a theme from the snippet, it’s possible you could like the full theme.

Axl's theme is fire.

59 minutes ago, Alkipot said:

May Gang all the way.

I might do the unthinkable and play a shoto, Ky *shudders*

His tools are very, very good

You prob missed the discussion in the matchmaking Discord and the SFV Lounge Discord about Ky...

Turns out he was trash all along. Stun Edge is - ON HIT.

How much? It was -14 in the Open Beta 1. 💀

4 hours ago, Skort said:

Still Anji. Gonna miss those guard points tho. And half screen Fujin. And non delayed butterfly. Basically all the stuff that got me wins in older games. 

Strive really out here to expose a naggo, damn

1 hour ago, KYNeo said:

That's not good,

.Though still hyped for this game! Anyone know size of it? I got the basic Ps4 version, so I don't even pre-load till tomorrow

That's good you can turn off some stages.  I'll just stick to the ones with no NPC's in the background.  This is probably a non-issue on PS5 (just wish I could get my hands on one).