Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

I know Strive will have crossplay on ps 4 / ps 5 but what's ASW's take on PC ? 

All that I found is that they may add it if the game sells well enough ?  If that source is legit.

I've seen many blame sony for this but unsure what to think of it looking at the fact that popular PS titles have now been ported to PC.So,Sony opened up quite a bit. 

What's the true issue here ? Isn't Power Rangers made a super small team yet it rocks crossplay on all platforms ? Even Stadia. So why ASW is so reluctant in doing so ?

Edited by Skort
33 minutes ago, Skort said:

I know Strive will have crossplay on ps 4 / ps 5 but what's ASW's take on PC ? 

All that I found is that they may add it if the game sells well enough ?  If that source is legit.

I've seen many blame sony for this but unsure what to think of it looking at the fact that popular PS titles have now been ported to PC.So,Sony opened up quite a bit. 

What's the true issue here ? Isn't Power Rangers made a super small team yet it rocks crossplay on all platforms ? Even Stadia. So why ASW is so reluctant in doing so ?

I don't think its a Sony issue. Based on everything I've heard about their crossplay policies they don't really care about PC, just other consoles and mobile.

I think its mostly a "oh shit yeah we probably should have thought of that" thing. Remember that this game was originally going to launch with the same 'ol ASW netcode until feeedback pushed them to implement rollback. I think the same thing happened with cross play. 

My guess is that they are being coy about it because they really don't want another SFV situation on their hands: we've already seen one instance where a horsepower difference makes PS inter-console crossplay an issue. Those older consoles being part of the same family is going to make building full PS4/5 <-> PC crossplay an exercise in optimization and netcode refinement. Battle For the Grid probably had a bit easier of a time, even though its a smaller team, due to the game being more lightweight (so it probably runs more consistently across all platforms) and being a smaller game in scale overall so it wouldn't be as much of a bugbear to test and optimize.

Crossplay is the next thing that the Strive fanbase needs to keep their foot down on. Even if it is a PITA, ASW needs to implement it. I still feel strongly that, aside from platform holders like Sony being fucking assholes about it, all FGs need full platform crossplay. The hobby is already so niche we can't keep being siloed off on different platforms. 

On a fun note:

If I wasn't such a character hipster I'd play Sol. Hell I still might. That triple 5H combo cracks me up.

51 minutes ago, Skort said:

From what I have seen, it looks to have to do with the size of the team. Ideas like crossplay and rollback can easily be denied by someone up top. Smaller teams have the advantage of more control of budget, less departments to manage, and less approvals from higher ups. And when the higher up is not some older guy in Japan, it’s probably real easy to realize decisions like crossplay and rollback.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

FYI, the arcade mode doesn’t really seem to mean much (or anything) to the story. Definitely not like Xrd did.

The last fight is really cool though, especially with Millia, not sure if the rule applies to everyone.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I haven’t played the game yet but some people are saying it set after story mode? I also noticed that there is a ‘to be continued’ after them so maybe the additional story content could add something to them as well? Not too sure. I did like how there’s now a male final boss in a main Guilty Gear game. The fight looks pretty fun as well.

41 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

This game

Uhhh

This game feels weird. This game feels... very weird. 

It definitely does. Jumping between this and +R is funky. I do find that once I get into the Strive groove though it works out.

This has been a very busy week. So I said to myself "I'll just hop on to clear the mandatory online ranking mode thingie, then I'll hang out in training mode for a bit."

I finally hopped off 90 mins later.

The duel stations are still hiccupy. Pairing up with people is better than the last beta but still not 100% hit rate. Woolie's advice of defaulting to searching for matching from training mode helps alleviate running around as much at least.

Connections were solid throughout. I think I may have seen some small rollbacks but I also could have just not really understood what I was looking at.

Got a bunch of games in including an impromptu ft10 with a Nago player in a park. He can be really scary but if they don't manage their blood it murders his lead.

May is still a super cunt. Lab Dolphins. The block stun is weird. 

Overall didn't do too bad considering I barely know what I'm doing. Ram and her God buttons help a lot. Had a lot of fun. Hopefully I can fire it up again before the weekend. 

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

It definitely does. Jumping between this and +R is funky. I do find that once I get into the Strive groove though it works out.

That's a relief to hear honestly. Jeah its honestly the most jarring thing playing this game after previous GGs. Feels like you have to undo a LOT of muscle memory

Just now, Jocelot said:

That's a relief to hear honestly. Jeah its honestly the most jarring thing playing this game after previous GGs. Feels like you have to undo a LOT of muscle memory

100% that. Like the broad mobility is similar but this is still a very different beast from +R or Rev2.

Case in point I realized I was dropping my basic ass sweep combo and didn't immediately realize why. Then I stopped and paid attention to what my hands were doing which was my HoS 2K route. Lo and behold that doesn't work in this game. 😄

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I think he's got a different safe ob special? 

Foudre Arc. The leaping kick. -1 at worst. The other special slash is also over -10, or at least was in OB1.

So basically they SFV'd him. If you chuck plasma, you're dead. Now he gotta play that rushdown even though he's obviously worse at it than the other all-rounder that's more offense oriented.

Honestly, I might as well toss him in the trash and go straight to Sol. 🤷‍♂️

Ky and Nago are obvious bottom tier characters rn. Like, it's blatant.

16 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Finally getting my hands on this and just playing the mission mode. 

gonna take my time with this shit 

You're about to ascend to God hood.

If you want to ensure some controllers go through TVs in the next 3 days, do H. Dolphin, 2S. It's not real but most people are probably gonna just eat it. Mix in vertical Dolphin to catch jumps and randomly side switch. Spend that time working on your best maniacal laugh.

Totsugeki indeed.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Foudre Arc. The leaping kick. -1 at worst. The other special slash is also over -10, or at least was in OB1.

So basically they SFV'd him. If you chuck plasma, you're dead. Now he gotta play that rushdown even though he's obviously worse at it than the other all-rounder that's more offense oriented.

I don't doubt any of this. 

I like playing all-rounders because I like sticking to one character but also like playing in different ways according to matchup. 

I also like Ky's 5-star easy rating, since I'm a dad with limited time, and I don't think I'll rise high enough in ranked for tiering to matter. 

So fuck it, I'll play Mr Cool Jacket & Sword just because I wanna.

4 hours ago, Volt said:

All I see here are Ky player tears.  :coffee:

I'm sure he'll be fine.  🙃

10 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

ensure some controllers go through TVs in the next 3 days, do H. Dolphin, 2S.

In the beta H. Dolphin-> L. dolphin -> L. dolphin-> 3K got me a HKD every time. 

People think playing like this is for morons, but when you eat the slide who's the moron now??

And Mission mode is kinda cool. I wish there were just some combo trials (I honestly have looked hard enough to see if there is any) but it's already given me some tech and game knowledge. 

Sure, that tech and game knowledge is on twitter and other places on the internet, but I learn better by doing.

Sorry Volt, I don't read or watch any of your tech stuff, I don't retain anything that way. 

Hopefully I can play a little more tonight. Didn't get home until 9, didn't jump on till like 9:30 and the wife made me turn it off by 10 so we could play Disco Elysium 

17 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Sure, that tech and game knowledge is on twitter and other places on the internet, but I learn better by doing.

I'm the same way. Even if I see a bunch of tech I only really absorb it by taking notes. During the SFV times I had 3 pretty beefy note docs that I kept up with and even with the bit of time I have in +R I have two docs going for that already. I find that the act of just writing something down does a lot to help me remember it.

I likewise need to take some time and poke around at the tutorial-y stuff. Just good to walk through it even if I probably know everything already. And I need to legit sit down and lab some core stuff. I need to get used to the dash button and stuff like drift/fast RC.

Its rad that you and your wife are playing Disco together.

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I need to legit sit down and lab some core stuff. I need to get used to the dash button and stuff like drift/fast RC.

I keep forgetting there's a dash button. Dashing is so easy on cheatbox that I don't even think about it. But like I said, I wanna take my time, really learn the game, and ease into it so I'm not burned out by August. 

3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Its rad that you and your wife are playing Disco together.

Yeah, I love playing games with my wife, but she's not a fan of 'video game' video games. Since disco is more or less a ton of dialogue trees and puzzles, she loves it. 

She loved the witness and Obra Dinn too.  

Yeah I'm not leaning on the dash button too heavily. I have so much dashing muscle memory from +R anyways that I don't want to bother overwriting it, especially since I can see playing that too here and there. I do see it being very valuable to make stuff like drift RC real easy, and since that is unique to this game I can devote the muscle ROM to it without much issue.

Playing games like that with someone else can be a lot of fun. I experienced a lot of games that way with my ex but backwards: she'd be playing them while I painted so I just got to sit back and enjoy the story. Live action LPing. 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Strive lacks crossplay, right?  So the only one of you I'd be able to play is Volt on our excellent trans-Earth connection?

Yeah, no crossplay, but I expect it to be added at some point. I think Sony paid a bit for exclusivity (which is why they can get it released early, as well as some unique skins), so I suspect they just didn’t want to announce it before proper launch… Not saying we’ll get it in two weeks, but I suspect we will eventually

15 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Question about story mode: does it play out like Xrd (i.e. basically a big 'ol movie)? It's going to be awhile before I can get to it so I'm curious.

Yeah, it’s basically a 4-5 hour long movie, but there are like 9 chapters so you can split it up like a TV show as well… I think each chapter is about 20-30 mins.

15 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, it’s basically a 4-5 hour long movie, but there are like 9 chapters so you can split it up like a TV show as well… I think each chapter is about 20-30 mins.

Nice. Yeah that was how Xrd was. You could basically treat it like a show and chop through it at your own pace. You ended up enjoying it ya? The trailer was pretty rad so that was a good start.

54 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Nice. Yeah that was how Xrd was. You could basically treat it like a show and chop through it at your own pace. You ended up enjoying it ya? The trailer was pretty rad so that was a good start.

The trailer was definitely hype and captured the essence of the story well. Obviously a 4-5 hr movie won’t be as hype all the way through it, but I really liked what they did with it. It also didn’t seem to rely too much on past game information, not that it would hurt knowing that stuff.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

So for y’all that have it, how is Nagoryuki? He’s the only character I’m really interested in on the vanilla roster.

Played a long set against Nago at the end of my time yesterday.

He has some big buttons and can do a lot of damage very quickly. He also has some easy day 1 mix ups/pressure that can blend you pretty quickly if you don't know when to interrupt or you interrupt at the wrong times.

All of that is offset by his low mobility (still has a lot of screen presence due to buttons but his repositioning isn't as free as other chars) and greatly taxed by the blood mechanic. If you don't manage that resource well you will explode: his health bar super drains while he is kirked out and if it happens at a particularly bad time you can eat a combo while that drain is happening and you pretty much instantly die. Nago is still really dangerous in blood rage - lots of chip and scary normals plus the OD can easily one shot you - but it is very much something you want to work around strategically.

The person I was playing would sometimes go totally ham to try and win the round, which would pay out every once in awhile but just as often he'd pop then he'd pop.

He seems like a really swingy character in general. I think the more difficult part is going to be what his mobility and slowness means for his defense. It also seems like you can get stuck in a "No Man's Land" where you are near kirking out but don't have a good way to drain (he *really* wants to land the bite command grab here and there) which seems like it may be sort of paralyzing.

All of this is from the other side. I was grateful to be able to contest his buttons with Rams, though I think being able to rush him down would be even better.