Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

45 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I still haven’t even run into Axl yet.

Out of curiosity, who have you guys been running into? Roster isn’t very big and I still haven’t fought like half the characters even once. 

Gio, Ky, and Sol are of course a dime a dozen tho.

A bunch of I-Nos.

Story mode spoiler talk

Spoiler

Like most anime, abstract concepts are supposed to be real people, the ending sounds like a sophomore philosophy dissertation, and the whole thing is ten times longer than it needed to be. 

The callouts to Americana with football and all the flags waving in the background when a character announces something heroic is way too on the nose. I get you wanna have your hero save the President in an action movie but this isn't working. 

I saw the girlfriend reveal at the end coming a mile away, it was so heavily foreshadowed, besides there being only two characters in the whole show that time travel, one of whom's memory is half in Happy Chaos. 

The movie didn't do a good job of explaining the limits of magic so there's no real stakes. This is basic SF/F writer's advice: without established limits then magic can always deux ex machina any of the characters' problems. 

H.Chaos carried the story for me too, because he was the Joker from The Dark Knight. 

There's two good lines in the whole thing. 

"Are there supposed to be earthquakes in the sky?"

"Only if you're hungover."

And, "projectiles are bullshit!"

At least Giovanna talks like people actually talk. 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:33 AM, Phantom_Miria said:

Just wait for the sixth one in the hardest tier, the one that explains to you that Dash Roman Cancels can also move upward and downward, and will ask you to do a combo where you have to do a special, then cancel the airborne special into a downward dash Roman Cancel, then rapidly cancel the Roman Cancel into another special, then do an easy juggle after that.

My timing got really messed up on that one because in this game it seems that special cancels won't work if you press stuff too quickly, so in that mission first you need to input the first two normals and the special relatively slowly and then put turbo mode and press down, down, Roman Cancel and Quarter Circle Backward Slash within half a second or it won't work.

This is now the only mission I have left and yeah. I have both dash and RC on dedicated buttons so that part's easy but trying to IRC with a QCB+S seems far more difficult than it should be.  The example movie has the entire QC start after the RC rather than overlap, but it must be done crazy fast. 

The few times I hit it I'm so surprised that  I forget to do the final two hits.

I wish I could do this with my main at least. I don't like practicing for characters I don't play.

LAST TIME ON FGC TWITTER:

Apparently this exchange, if you retweeted honzo's copy pasta rib, required a public apology.  I asked one of those put to task about why this apology was necessary, and I was told that because Elven had done so much for the community, we shouldn't poke fun at him ragequitting Faust after Week 1.  Hey too bad I wasn't afforded the same luxury for all the stuff I've done for the community!

We are competitors.  As long as you're not going out of pocket about something Elven can't help, banter is to be expected.  I don't like throwing around the word "soft" lightly because we're all trying to figure out our way in the world, but we had other people get outraged on Elven's behalf here for THIS.  Only other piece of context I could find was that shortly before this Elven thought about quitting social media.  Honzo and Elven made peace shortly after this but my word...

spacer.png

spacer.png

EDIT:  Forgot Jiyuna's response

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

LAST TIME ON FGC TWITTER:

Apparently this exchange, if you retweeted honzo's copy pasta rib, required a public apology.  I asked one of those put to task about why this apology was necessary, and I was told that because Elven had done so much for the community, we shouldn't poke fun at him ragequitting Faust after Week 1.  Hey too bad I wasn't afforded the same luxury for all the stuff I've done for the community!

We are competitors.  As long as you're not going out of pocket about something Elven can't help, banter is to be expected.  I don't like throwing around the word "soft" lightly because we're all trying to figure out our way in the world, but we had other people get outraged on Elven's behalf here for THIS.  Only other piece of context I could find was that shortly before this Elven thought about quitting social media.  Honzo and Elven made peace shortly after this but my word...

Some people just inspire feelings of protectiveness in others.  It has nothing to do with how much work they have or haven't done. I had a coworker like this. When we were all let go we were all sad, but it was him that we all tried to cheer up. He's a very pleasant person and just seemed to need it more than others.

I went to some spoken word poetry thing once, and the poet said, "I have a lot of siblings, and one day around the dinner table we all asked our father if he loved us all equally. He said No. He said I love you all equitably. Some of you need more than the others."

Just now, Pair of Rooks said:

Some people just inspire feelings of protectiveness in others.  It has nothing to do with how much work they have or haven't done. I had a coworker like this. When we were all let go we were all sad, but it was him that we all tried to cheer up. He's a very pleasant person and just seemed to need it more than others.

I went to some spoken word poetry thing once, and the poet said, "I have a lot of siblings, and one day around the dinner table we all asked our father if he loved us all equally. He said No. He said I love you all equitably. Some of you need more than the others."

I would like to think there's a difference between cheering up someone who had misfortune befall them vs attacking someone because they dared to do something other than kiss that someone's behind.  

15 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

That correlation chart is really well done imo. My hardest part when learning the story was understanding how things related to one another

That is sort of my experience with GG story as well. Though I will say what I've seen so far from Strive has been way better presented. It feels like an actual story mode whereas the Xrd story mode more felt like someone explaining an anime to me in long form, if that makes sense.

13 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Out of curiosity, who have you guys been running into? Roster isn’t very big and I still haven’t fought like half the characters even once.

Sol, Gio, Axl, and weirdly high %s of Nago and Millia. I've expected more May's but I'm assuming they've just dolphined up higher than I've played in the towers so far.

32 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I've been doing a lot of missions and training mode so far and I'm about to go online soon.

So, does the game determine your starting floor on that fight with the CPU in the online tutorial? I got placed on Floor 6, and I can't tell how high or low that's supposed to be.

I believe it does, but everyone I know gets placed on 6th floor.  Maybe that's cause you can do QCF inputs I dunno. 

I'm trying to go online right now but keep getting kicked from Tower and Quick Start both.  😞  Servers down? 

BTW did you ever get the down-dash RC mission?  5.6? 

EDIT: I found a thing!  For the down-dash RC, we MUST let go of the down direction and re-press it for the QCB.  The drift RC and the QCB cannot share the down directional input. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks

Played a lot of ranked today. 

Lots of Leo in the morning. Learned that Ky's super fireball goes through Leo's fireball and took some games that way. I can see where the Guile fusion dance comments come from. I don't have a solid plan vs Leo currently.

Met a competent Zato player. I planned to rematch him as much as possible for the exp but he ranked up. Sad. 

Met my first May. Lost the set cause my AA super clipped her and then dropped somehow. I didn't have too many issues, but I did just watch EvilCanadian's vid earlier that day. Neutral jumping dolphin into good punish put some fear into her, and obviously Ky can just 2S light dolphin oB into whatever, or with time just S her off the dolphin's back. All of that allows a combo. And then I have a DP. She didn't backdash and counterpoke my 2S so I'll have to wait to find better Mays.

Met an Anji. A few times I'd poke and I'd get hit, making me wonder if there's disjoint on his attacks. Other than that I wasn't afraid of him. 

Nago continues to own me. Everybody and their sister knows how to do his "rekka" multihit punish for half my lifebar, so slow zoning tends to lose out in the end. I experimented with Stun Dipper a bit as a challenge to his pokes, which netted me some good Oki but I know I'm taking my life into my hands Everytime.  I really think I should go in in this MU. 

I'm getting better vs Ramlethal. Her damn reversal super bothers me more. But harrassing her just outside of arm's reach on the regular is good.

Faust is becoming my favorite MU. We both use the whole damn screen, side to side and top to bottom. I can H.DP through a lot of his nonsense, and pressure him close, and toss air fireballs occasionally.  But ground fireballs and arc kick tend to be scarce. Very odd MU calls for very odd set of specials.

Giovanna is my least favorite MU. It's very snowbally. I watched some vids to get an idea of when it's my turn, such as her knee thrust means I jab now.  Similar to May if I occasionally pretend the floor is lava, and the lava needs slicing open with a sword, I can usually avoid the worst of her onslaught. Spiral Arrow as an AA is bullshit. Silver lining: supposedly Gio mains hate the Ky MU too. 

I-No bothers me. I need to lab that MU cause I'm getting clipped by everything. 

Axl still MIA, Sol still scrub central, and that last mission mode trial continues to haunt me.

FOR THE COMMUNITY!!!!

This might be another reason why I make people uncomfortable at events.  They're out there trying to make friends, I'm out here trying to compete.  if there's an edge you've uncovered that others aren't talking about, you should take it.  There will always be time to break it down after you've shown your hand.  

1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

FOR THE COMMUNITY!!!!

This might be another reason why I make people uncomfortable at events.  They're out there trying to make friends, I'm out here trying to compete.  if there's an edge you've uncovered that others aren't talking about, you should take it.  There will always be time to break it down after you've shown your hand.  

No, you see, that's a mixup: first you guilt-trip them into telling you combos and strats, then you learn the strats but keep your own secret strats to yourself, then you own them in tournament, and if they don't reveal their strats you publicly shame them on Twitter and encourage other idiots to give away their tricks.

That's the finest competitive spirit there is, only mastered by the most evil people on Earth, and with a May avatar you can tell that guy is into shady businesses.

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Played a lot of ranked today. 

Nago continues to own me. Everybody and their sister knows how to do his "rekka" multihit punish for half my lifebar, so slow zoning tends to lose out in the end. I experimented with Stun Dipper a bit as a challenge to his pokes, which netted me some good Oki but I know I'm taking my life into my hands Everytime.  I really think I should go in in this MU. 

You've gotten a lot more variety in than I have, though now that I'm at 9 I think things will slow down a lot for me and I should get more variety in. Give 'em hell!

For Nago, if you want to turbo-charge your match up knowledge look up Shahenzan on the SFV Lounge Megashock discord (I think he has a profile on here but he's more active on there). Playing long sets against his Nago has been extremely educational especially since he plays the character to a degree that I haven't run into among the randoms yet. 

Plus he's a really solid player in general so he forces you to tighten up some things that you can get away with in this game for a long time without realizing it (fake jump ins, fake pressure, unsafe situations, predicable blockstrings). 

I think I must have cultivated some sort of aura of tranquility and serenity that transcends the distance and bypasses the physical boundaries between me and my opponents and dissuades them from teabagging or ragequitting on me. Either that, or all the scrubs are still stuck in the MK11 lobbies. 

I play a staunch zoning game with Axl, and I have not yet irritated somebody to the point where they disconnect. Not for lack of trying, mind you. Is the GG community just more mature or what?

46 minutes ago, Volta said:

dissuades them from teabagging or ragequitting on me

Can you share this aura cause I've been teabagged twice. Once by Anji and once by a Chipp after a double KO . Wtf.

5 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

You've gotten a lot more variety in than I have, though now that I'm at 9 I think things will slow down a lot for me and I should get more variety in. Give 'em hell!

For Nago, if you want to turbo-charge your match up knowledge look up Shahenzan

I remember Shahenzan's Ibuki from our 3s tourney. My body is not ready for his Nago. Or Vhozite's for that matter. I'll stick to the shittier Nagos and Mays on floor 7 or wherever I am now, thanks. 😅

2 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Can you share this aura cause I've been teabagged twice. Once by Anji and once by a Chipp after a double KO . Wtf.

I remember Shahenzan's Ibuki from our 3s tourney. My body is not ready for his Nago. Or Vhozite's for that matter. I'll stick to the shittier Nagos and Mays on floor 7 or wherever I am now, thanks. 😅

Honestly I haven’t played in like a week. Been very tired and very busy. Pretty sure everyone here is on a higher floor than me lmao

Story stuff.

Spoiler
On 6/20/2021 at 2:57 AM, Pair of Rooks said:

I saw the girlfriend reveal at the end coming a mile away, it was so heavily foreshadowed, besides there being only two characters in the whole show that time travel, one of whom's memory is half in Happy Chaos. 

In this game.

They've been building this up for over a decade. In Revelator they made sure people knew that Axl's girl was just gone, one timeline or the other and he chose to save Sol. That's why he was all mopey in the beginning.

It's been a topic of discussion since XX and there was the red herring of Zappa's ghost being alluded to be Axl's girl. This game is where all the plot points converged, and sadly Arcade Endings weren't a thing to pace it better. This is why it feels a bit too obvious.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:57 AM, Pair of Rooks said:

The movie didn't do a good job of explaining the limits of magic so there's no real stakes. This is basic SF/F writer's advice: without established limits then magic can always deux ex machina any of the characters' problems. 

Another thing that was kinda established in older games, mainly GG2, but no one played that. 🤣

Also, that's precisely why there are stakes. Magic nullifiers all over the story lmao.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:36 AM, Psychoblue said:

EDIT:  Forgot Jiyuna's response

Jiyuna is great. 🤣

On 6/20/2021 at 2:54 PM, Vhozite said:

Funny you guys are fighting Nago. I haven’t run into the mirror even once. 

Shahenzan and Martian are playing him too. Hit people up here or the Discord. Plenty of experience around.

9 minutes ago, Volt said:

I swear Stroke is unblockable. I've been holding downback and still getting bopped.

I've never seen something this hard to block since Greed Sever.

I was getting rocked by Stroke so hard I pulled up Dustloop mid-match to check and make sure it wasn’t an overhead lmao. Turns out the connection wasn’t the best but even then I was having real trouble blocking it. 

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

I’m trying hold out to see who drops for DLC but I lowkey want to play another character alongside Nago. Love my boy but sometimes I really get the itch to play someone faster. 

Just hoping for Happy Chaos to pull up with the strap like Cable.

Matter of fact, give him a Hyper Viper too. 

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Just hoping for Happy Chaos to pull up with the strap like Cable.

Matter of fact, give him a Hyper Viper too. 

I have absolutely nothing to base this on but if Happy Chaos makes it as DLC I feel like he's gonna play like Adachi from P4A. Which would work for me since I was known as a toxic Adachi main

More Ky thoughts

Spoiler

Stun Dipper beats Stroke The Tree. Goes under her fireball at the same time. 

Stun Dipper only self-combos at a certain range, but it seems it is the perfect range after the S HS gatling particularly at poking distance. Doesn't matter which S; far, close, and crouching all work.  

Dash xx c.S, 2S, 5HS xx Stun Dipper will all combo. 

I'm going to take this to ranked and see if this works out for me. Though fireball won't usually combo, it's basically fire and forget safe. OH or oB the opponent can't do much, and it won't come out on whiff. But SD I must hit confirm. And not push the opponent into the corner, messing up my spacing. 

My reward for doing so is both damage and oki.

S HS Ride the Lightning also works if I can hit confirm. 

I'm hoping if I can just turn up the damage I get in common situations I'll level up permanently.

Dash xx neutral jump HS crossup runs afoul of a mechanic called autoguard to prevent some SF4 vortex nonsense. You'll love autoguard when you meet a good Zato one day. 

Saw a Twitter clip today of the airfireball RC crossup I came up with. It was a sponsored player who really wrung a lot out of it. I should take notes.

Charged fireball RC crossover does work. From mid-range use dash xx arc kick.

Homework: write down a lot of these combos I see and start crossing them off for being suboptimal, too situational, too execution heavy, and just too much to remember, for me. These will be my BNBs for the time being. 

Homework: fight a Max CPU Axl so I'll at least recognize the character's normals etc if I meet him in ranked someday.

Edited by Pair of Rooks

Running into a lot of good celestial players that that are better at dealing with May, but I’m still taking most games. Seems like every character has dirt! Played an Anji that was giving me a little trouble but dolphins prevailed in the end, 10-3

I know May is currently one of the best characters but she can’t be carrying me this much, not vs these guys. Must stream more!

I gotta stop playing ranked when caffeinated.  I am a twitchy mess right now. 

Clawed my way back up to floor 8 and got a Steam Achievement for spending $100K on fishing.  Feeling super accomplished. 

28 minutes ago, Volt said:

Being able to play a character with your own style adds so much to the game.

I have noticed hating the mirror match slightly less in this game. 

So, I went online for the first time today.

First I got matched with an I-No on Floor 6, who I think was also her first time online because her character level was 1 like mine. I win the first game because the I-No looks inexperienced and I'm pushing big fucking buttons with my honest mid tier character Ramlethal. Then, after winning the first game, the game promotes me to Floor 7.

"Wait, I don't want to get promoted, I'm just spamming buttons here, I can't play this game!"

So, I have to go on Floor 7, and there I meet a Ky player who actually seems to have played a bunch. It's closer, but I manage to beat him 2-0 through.

"Wait, what the fuck you mean I got promoted to Floor 8!? I don't want to fight against actually good people, I don't know what I'm doing!"

So, I go to Floor 8 and meet a Nagoriyuki. I manage to win the first game but lose the other two because I have no idea of how to handle Nago's pressure and his big fucking buttons are as big as mine. Still, pretty happy I manage to get a game in while still getting adjusted to playing the game against actual people.

After that I get to play another Ky player on Floor 8 who's very aggressive and I lose the first game to and it demotes me, which is a shame because both rounds were close and I was adapting, and finish the day playing against a May who played really weird and a Millia on Floor 7 who I both beat 2-1.

By the way, Ramlethal is just Falke if Falke was strong. Same standing kick poke, same jumping poke with a medium, she just trades projectiles for an ever so slightly stronger corner game. Just a tiny little bit stronger corner game.

I haven't played a may but I don't want to either seeing all the buzz around her lol. 

Only got to play a couple matches ended up using pot because I picked him during trials. I was using chipp in training mode somehow didn't realize it was still set to pot then I actually won a few and kept playing him and looked up some stuff.  The aa command grab feels godlike when you land it. 

I need to play in arcade mode or something to get used to actually using the mechanics and stuff, add on top of that I switched back to stick so i end up fumbling around a shit ton. Still fun to scrub my way to wins but it's gonna take me a while to get comfortable in the game.

10 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Is there any plan of putting in-game frame date in training mode?

I think that's the only thing this game is missing.

No word on that and for as robust as Arc has been making their training modes I don't know that they are super big on frame data accessibility. Hopefully with enough clamoring they'll get on board.

11 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I like hearing our stories about the trials and tribulations of ranked. Makes me feel connected to you guys, without the whole getting slapped around 20-0 by your Nagos and Rams. 

Solidarity brother. We're all out there figuring this shit out.

My road to 9 was paved with 4 sets against the same I-No, which was actually pretty fun and educational. Painful in places but educational. Haven't had the chance to hit up ranked since then but I'm sure I'll get bashed around next time I do.