Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general, Anime perky boobs are de wae

1 hour ago, PussyStuffer said:

i hear this game has gdlk netcode...but a shitty roster.  opinions on its roster?

Indeed, the netcode is amazing.  The roster to me is just ok.  I think they played it safe with their inclusions.  There are a lot of cool characters that are missing from previous games but that just means there's more to look forward to with the DLC.  

6 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Strive players knew they couldn’t beat Ram. So instead of labbing the matchup, they blamed the devs.

It really says something about society.

Truly, Daisuke crafted a great tool of sociopolitical discussion and commentary with this game. Can't wait to see what he comes up with in the inevitable 2027 sequel Guilty Gear XXX: Gears Gone Wild.

Anyway, here's hoping they fix this dreaded issue with Ram's pseudo-infinite and fix it making it the proper infinite blockstring she desperately needs- no, deserves.

41 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I made it to Floor 10 somehow.

It basically made me skip Floor 9 because I managed to beat a Giovanna 3-0 on Floor 9.

I don't know how long I'll manage to stay there, but I did decently against a Floor 10 Millia who knew what she was doing, so maybe there's hope.

Yeah I've skipped through floor 7 by 5-0ing a Milia. I change floors so often and so fast I don't hardly notice it anymore.

14 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

So I’m labbing like real shit (this game is changing me) and May has so many GOOD meaty buttons. It’s ridiculous 

People meme about the dolphins, but when I labbed that little devil what struck me was how long and good May buttons were, like far Slash is Ram tier and 2S is perfectly spaced to hit exactly at maximum range at the beginning of a round. That, and the high damage she can dish out pretty easily. That, and her command grab, that leads to a combo in the corner. Her Dust attack seems to have longer range than average, and every time you mash punch and hit someone up close to get them off you she can get a hard knockdown because her slide cancels and combos from standing punch no matter the distance.

Dolphins making her obnoxious and unpredictable in the neutral is just the cherry on top.

So, basically:

k8ophm8t7t671.jpg

On 6/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, KingTubb said:

So I’m labbing like real shit (this game is changing me) and May has so many GOOD meaty buttons. It’s ridiculous 

I'll go to online training mode, and after a rank change or two it'll, like, break.  I won't get anymore matches until I restart the whole app.   And this is how I end up labbing shit for over an hour. 🙄 

It is fun to lab this game tho. 

But hey I found out some things. 

* throw into corner OTG 6H really is the most damage I can get.  2H will also OTG and carry the victim higher but the damage is less and the pushback disallows any special to further combo.  RtL super will do 6 pts of damage and drop the final hit; fireball super won't connect. 

* I can't PRC Ky's DP on whiff.   Like at all.   I didn't think the RC system was choosy about what colors do/don't work with what moves but apparently it is.  This is doubly weird because I can PRC a whiffed super.  But not a whiffed DP.  wtf.  

* I can arckick across the screen, tap someone (hit or block) and RC (red or purple) into a j.k or a j.d which might overhead or at least delay the grounded followups. But anyone knowledgeable will block arckick high anyway because it grants Ky less +frames.

*  Normally when RCing a DP on block, Ky will still fly to the moon.  But if I drift-RC forward I stay put, and can instantly overhead the blocker with a kick that comboes into c.S and the whole kit.  

I did finally find some Axl mains and taught me how much I don't know about Axl.  Back n forth, but no individual round was close at all.  Ky doesn't have an easy answer here except "don't be predictable on your approach". I don't think I've ever played a matchup so heavily demanding of paying attention to my opponent's tendencies. 

The occasional H.airfireball was fine and super-fireball from beyond half screen was strangely landing a lot. Nothing real tho except rushdown Axl is a disorientating creature.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

RCing Supers is like 100 meter gone, thats something rare to happen to beginn with

Segue: not if you RC before superflash. Then you just have a invincible RC for half the meter.

Also: you can do all HCB,F supers with a 360 in this game, not just Pot. But only because a 360 from F to F contains a HCB,F in it. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
6 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Segue: not if you RC before superflash. Then you just have a invincible RC for half the meter.

If I got that right watching AutoMattock's stream, it might be that in Strive meter is consumed not on Super activation but once the move becomes active and/or there's the super flash, thus allowing you to cancel the startup of a Super before the meter is spent into a Purple Roman Cancel. In AutoMattock's stream there was this case of an I-No who started her command grab super, you could see the startup animation, but she was kicked out of it before the move became active by a burst or something and she didn't lose meter in spite of it.

If so this is probably not a bug, maybe an oversight if the developers didn't expect defensive tech to come out of it. I wouldn't mind if it stayed in the game.

Also, on Steam there's a sale of the older games in the series, so you can play +R a bit in training and use it to pretend you're an OG, just like me! 🙂

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/arcsystemworks/sale/guiltygearfranchisesale

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21689/GUILTY_GEAR_Franchise_CompletetheSet_Bundle/

Edited by Phantom_Miria
5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Also: you can do all HCB,F supers with a 360 in this game, not just Pot. But only because a 360 from F to F contains a HCB,F in it. 

so here's where it gets kooky...

The hitbox shortcut for 360's is to swipe the left,down,right buttons with your finger (left to right, right to left, it doesn't matter) then press your button and up at the same time. So you're actually doing 6248P or 4268P

Potbuster comes out with this motion no problems at all. Other supers on the other hand... Nope. Even Pots aegis super doesn't work like this. 

But on pad or stick, makes sense that a 360 would totally work

8 hours ago, KingTubb said:

so here's where it gets kooky...

The hitbox shortcut for 360's is to swipe the left,down,right buttons with your finger (left to right, right to left, it doesn't matter) then press your button and up at the same time. So you're actually doing 6248P or 4268P

Potbuster comes out with this motion no problems at all. Other supers on the other hand... Nope. Even Pots aegis super doesn't work like this. 

But on pad or stick, makes sense that a 360 would totally work

Yeah a "360" motion is usually actually a 270 motion. Or, just hit all four cardinals.

360 f to f isn't a shortcut, just an amusing coincidence

Someone in discord asked why isn't blockstun for each move listed. 

Someone answered, Active Frames + Recovery frames + Frame advantage = blockstun, and frame adv. is listed.

But that's not correct for the GG franchise?

Each move has an Attack Level ranging from 0 to 4, and that determines both hitstun and blockstun.  Hitstun = blockstun + 3f. 

level    blockstun    hitstun(standing) 
0                9            12
1                11            14
2               13            16
3               16            19
4               18            21

There's also one extra frame of hitstun on a crouching opponent compared to a standing one. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks

This sounds stupid and obvious, and prob has already been said before, but when I see something in Strive I want to test, I load up a diff profile on my PS4 and just reject the network terms (and so skip the login nonsense) before starting the game. Can be in training mode in 30 seconds or so - can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

Edited by JustBrowsing
5 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

This sounds stupid and obvious, and prob has already been said before, but when I see something in Strive I want to test, I load up a diff profile on my PS4 and just reject the network terms (and so skip the login nonsense) before starting the game. Can be in training mode in 30 seconds or so - can't believe I didn't think of this sooner.

I got a better one. Just disconnect it from the WiFi real quick/pull that plug.

32 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

I'm struggling to find a second char. I've played hundreds of matches against a friend as Ky, and now instinctively know how he operates (at least in this limited pairing, with me probably being crap), but I've not found one other character I like.

Honestly, give the whole roster a spin. If no one clicks, DLC is your best bet.

14 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

So I guess we're getting a character this month.  Really hoping it's 

Hide contents

HAPPY CHAOS

I've had trouble finding a main character in Strive - which is a rare problem for me.  Don't think it's a problem with the game - just haven't found a character I really click with yet.

This has been my issue and the biggest reason I haven’t been playing. I like the game itself but none of the characters give me that fuzzy feeling that makes me eager to boot it up. 

I really want to like Nago but I really don’t like his blood rage mechanic. Pot is genuinely cool but he’s always been my “use him until you find your real main” character since his kit clashes hard with my preferred play style.

Might lab Pot today so I don’t fall too far behind skill wise, because I genuinely want to get into this game. 

Edit: I will say that I absolutely love trying to get in on people with Pot. Even if it takes me the whole round to get you and I have 5% hp left Pot is always two reads or punishes from winning lmao.

Edited by Vhozite
8 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I want Elphelt,

shoot_him.gif

1 hour ago, Volta said:

You can, but I hope for you you're not on pad; in order to make the most out of rushdown Axl you better learn his TK Bomber combos, and they're a nightmare on pad.

Iirc, he has no 236 motions that overlap with Bomber's input, so it shouldn't be too bad.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Iirc, he has no 236 motions that overlap with Bomber's input, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm on pad right now and timing the upward diagonal and then doing the 236 is a pain in the ass mid-combo. Granted, my execution sucks, but you better be willing to grind training mode a lot if you want to pull it off consistently. 

46 minutes ago, Volta said:

I'm on pad right now and timing the upward diagonal and then doing the 236 is a pain in the ass mid-combo. Granted, my execution sucks, but you better be willing to grind training mode a lot if you want to pull it off consistently. 

TK bomber is fun to do.  I was messing around with it in training mode.  I'm on stick and found the best method to do up+forward and then a fast quarter circle forward.  One of those things that I imagine would be piss easy on hitbox but is kind of a pain on other controllers.  

Elphelt really put the "Gears of War" in "Guilty Gear".

Speaking of upcoming characters, with ArcSys having getting used to yearly season passes with 5-6 characters in Granblue and DBFZ Strive is in a pretty good position to eventually become the first Guilty Gear with more than 25 characters. Since Guilty Gear's whole cast isn't that huge (it should be like 35 or 36 characters in total) they might even be able to bring back most if not all of the old cast by the end of the life cycle of the game unless they go ham on new characters.

That is if you count only the playable characters from the games that were actually fighting games.

If you stray off the path of Guilty Gear games you end up with stuff like Leopaldon, and nobody wants to end up meeting Leopaldon.

Spoiler

leopaldon-stance.gif

Can't wait for him/her/it to make his/her/its triumphal return in Strive, I'm not gonna lie.