Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

2 hours ago, Volta said:

I'm on pad right now and timing the upward diagonal and then doing the 236 is a pain in the ass mid-combo. Granted, my execution sucks, but you better be willing to grind training mode a lot if you want to pull it off consistently. 

Have you tried it on analog? 🙃

Omg Ram has a fS>HS Gatling I might actually play this broad 

Edit: idk why I said that other characters can do that lol

Edit 2: No idea what you’re actually supposed to do with this character but her animations are *chefs kiss*

Edited by Vhozite

Managed to scrub my way to floor 8. Probably just gonna play casual for awhile I need to get better at doing  Kara 6k stuff on the p2 side or I'm not going to get anywhere. 

Finally played a may who I'm pretty sure was a Smurf account since they were only like level 5 and got absolutely shit on lol.  I- no,ky, and ram seem to be my hardest matchups right now

9 minutes ago, Illwill88 said:

Managed to scrub my way to floor 8. Probably just gonna play casual for awhile I need to get better at doing  Kara 6k stuff on the p2 side or I'm not going to get anywhere. 

Finally played a may who I'm pretty sure was a Smurf account since they were only like level 5 and got absolutely shit on lol.  I- no,ky, and ram seem to be my hardest matchups right now

You playing Pot?  James Chen has the same problem doing Kara Pot buster on P2 side.  He was raging against Ultradavid's Axl yesterday lol.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
7 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

You playing Pot?  James Chen has the same problem doing Kara Pot buster on P2 side.  He was raging against Ultradavid's Axl yesterday lol.  

Yeah I'm using pot. This is the first guilty gear I'm putting time into so I'm still lost in the sauce beyond just execution.  Plus I decided to go back to learning stick since it's a new game so that's where alot of the execution struggle is coming from. 

I've seen a couple people mention not having a true main yet. I kind of feel like I'm in the same boat. 

9 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Edit 2: No idea what you’re actually supposed to do with this character but her animations are *chefs kiss*

I'm sure you've figured it out or will really quickly but the cliffs notes:

Poke the shit outta people. F.s and j.s can build a wall. 5H works too in longer range fights just don't over use it.

Her rekka is really good. You can stagger it to catch pokes and if you stagger it enough it becomes safe on block. You can also dash cancel the first hit which can be used for unreal dash pressure on block or very real oki in Combos. Also if you land the full rekka you get a safejump.

She can both put someone in the corner well and then convert almost any hit into a full wall break. Plus if you like to style she has some less practical but cool looking shit to land.

Since you already played Nago you'll probably be familiar with her buttons. They're surprisingly similar but Ram is basically always full blooded. Just remember she is kind of a "limbs" character and never throw H Sword midscreen unless it will kill or juggle to the corner and you'll do great. 

⚔️ 👍

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Since you already played Nago you'll probably be familiar with her buttons.

This is half the reason I like her. She has sword buttons so decent neutral, but also other things Nago doesn’t like a regular forward dash and unlimited use of her specials, air specials, and 2 OD’s she can always use. I know that’s all basic stuff but the fact that Nago couldn’t do them is part of the reason I dropped him. I want to play GG and Nago felt like he was too often playing Samurai Shodon. Ram also looks just as cool, which is equally as important to me as gameplay. 

Back the the Overdrives for a second...the one thing that really grabbed my attention was that Caldavos recalls swords from anywhere at any time if you have 50 Tension, so you have more leeway to go wild with sword shots once you have meter. Basically it works the way I wish Nago’s OD did. Basically Ram can use meter to combo into immediate resource extension, whereas Nago is stuck setting up his bum ass command grab. His OD does reduce bloodrage, but only after it’s done rising from specials so it won’t actually save you if you’re 100% gonna hit max rage. 

Edit: I feel like I’m always shit talking Nago and making him sound bad. He’s definitely a good character and also super cool. There are just a bunch of tiny things that added up to me not wanting to play him anymore. 

Edited by Vhozite

Fair warning about Calvados: I think it's actually a lot more punishable than it looks. It's -70 on block so even outside of some more straightforward punishes I think I've been getting away with murder with it. I haven't had anyone other than Tubb actually make me pay for it though.

It can be a fun way to dump 100% meter if you RC it and dash in to fuck with them. 

Also back to Nago for a second: I definitely get what you mean Vhozite. I've watched a lot of his game play and I always want to try him out but I know I'd bounce off of him.

I think he can be a little misleading. He's so much about his meter management that you really need to be on board with that. If you are you get a character which super solid rushdown and damage who still has great buttons provided you can ride the gauge. Just has a lot of tradeoffs.

Ram is of course more straight forward which helps (especially during times like these where work is really busy so when I get to play my brain is already partially mush). And she's more balanced without the high highs but low lows (so long as you don't pitch your Swords away like right away, then shit sucks).

My bold experiment is to try to play I-No on the side. She is weird. Cool but weird.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Fair warning about Calvados: I think it's actually a lot more punishable than it looks.

From what I’ve seen, it definitely is. I heard that Chipp and Millia can dash in to punish her recovery. I’ve seen Nago dash in and end up poking her with far 5S. It also has no invincibility and slow to start so it’s possible to buffer something invincible to beat her, like the 2nd activation of Axl’s timestop.

44 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

From what I’ve seen, it definitely is. I heard that Chipp and Millia can dash in to punish her recovery. I’ve seen Nago dash in and end up poking her with far 5S. It also has no invincibility and slow to start so it’s possible to buffer something invincible to beat her, like the 2nd activation of Axl’s timestop.

Yeah May can Whale it on reaction and Ram loses that interaction hard. 🐋

I've definitely seen some punishes online. What made me really think about it is Nagos blood rage OD. That is one where you can run all the way across town and clock him after and that is -66. 

Most people end up FD'ing Calvados but I've also done that against the blood rage OD and still made it back in to punish. I'm not sure if there is a runspeed difference or whatever that would prevent more people from punishing.

Next time I get on I'll actually lab it. I need to know for the mirror. 😉

Played my first bit of Ram today and I really like her, but I really need to lab her combos. I can get hits but struggle to convert off them beyond S>HS. 

Also the 2f throws in this are so fucking obnoxious. So many times rook is throwing me when I’m 200% sure it’s coming and mashing for dear life...nah scooped. Were they always this fast in past games?

41 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Played my first bit of Ram today and I really like her, but I really need to lab her combos. I can get hits but struggle to convert off them beyond S>HS. 

Also the 2f throws in this are so fucking obnoxious. So many times rook is throwing me when I’m 200% sure it’s coming and mashing for dear life...nah scooped. Were they always this fast in past games?

It was 1f with no whiff animation in past games. They're technically worse now, though obviously in the context of Strive they are super fast. 

If you have a hard read on the throw, back dash will probably be a better option. Or jump if you have a great air-to-ground attack maybe.

Edited by Gasarocky
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

GGs. Your Ram will be scarier than your Pot when you get her some combos.  Your A2A jabs, fucking hell. They're sublime but this old man can't match that.

You can't throw, and hence throw-tech, while down-backing.  You must stand up first then input the throw. But really, neutral jump them like they're an SFV command grab is the way to go.  Throw-whiff is huge and pre-jump frames cannot be grabbed.  

I've also read that the 5f of unthrowable on wakeup doesn't just apply to wakeup.  Anytime someone comes out of hitstun or blockstun, the 5f rule also applies. Obviously you're unthrowable during hitstun/blockstun, but it lasts 5f longer than that. 

Only two obnoxious things in this game are 6236 as a "shortcut" for DP, and punching Ky's sword to hurt him.   I'd ask what point is having a weapon but Ram has disjoint.  I-no has disjoint. Frickin' May has disjoint.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

... and punching Ky's sword to hurt him.   I'd ask what point is having a weapon but Ram has disjoint.  I-no has disjoint. Frickin' May has disjoint.

Most weapon attacks don't have disjointed hurtboxes with just some being exceptions. Like for Nago all of his S attacks have hurtboxes but his H attacks don't.

I think Ram fS has a hurtbox halfway up the length of the sword but the furthest half is disjointed, May 5H is disjointed but most of her S normals are partial disjoint, etc. 

Like, the reason Ram fS is so oppressive is BECAUSE it is a S attack with partial disjoint, it wouldn't be as bad if it had a full hurtbox. Weapons having hurtboxes is just part of the balancing. Nago would be even scarier than he already is if none of his S attacks had hurtboxes, he'd dominate neutral even at blood lvl1

Ky also has some disjoint on 5H and 6H though they're both about halfway down the sword as well.

Edited by Gasarocky

In this interview*, ASW are asked about crossplay. The bit about going through verification sounds more promising than anything I've yet heard, but it's hard to tell what's lost in translation - could easily be internal feasibility testing rather than anything formal.

"Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement."

* have no idea how genuine it is, or when it's from - bit near the end suggests it's before release, but it was published yesterday. Seems really weird for it just to be tucked away on that blog, too. 

Edited by JustBrowsing
10 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

Ky also has some disjoint on 5H and 6H though they're both about halfway down the sword as well.

Those aren't disjoint.  The hurtbox arrives late but it's still there, lingering on a 40f commitment of a move. Moreover, 6H, the one with Abel hand, has a counterhit hurtbox at the tip of the sword during recovery.  Disjoint only matters on moves used in neutral or in scrambles, and if Ky whiffs those in neutral it's a free combo, on reaction.

Ky can't even attack stall-and-fall moves like May's drop anchor or Pot's buttfall when they whiff it at distance. He'll get hit instead. 

16 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Those aren't disjoint.  The hurtbox arrives late but it's still there, lingering on a 40f commitment of a move. Moreover, 6H, the one with Abel hand, has a counterhit hurtbox at the tip of the sword during recovery.  Disjoint only matters on moves used in neutral or in scrambles, and if Ky whiffs those in neutral it's a free combo, on reaction.

Ky can't even attack stall-and-fall moves like May's drop anchor or Pot's buttfall when they whiff it at distance. He'll get hit instead. 

It's not the full length of the hitbox is all I meant. I assumed that's what you meant by disjoint since you included Ram who also has her hurtbox halfway up the sword too. AFAIK disjoint is just shorthand for hurtboxes being smaller than hitboxes on attacks, which is the case for those Ky normals I mentioned, but if that's not what you meant then my bad. I hear you on those normals not being as good as what May and Ram have though

For those falling moves you just have to time 6P really well, or DP. Those moves are annoying to deal with in general

Edited by Gasarocky

Yeah a disjointed hitbox is one that just extends past the hurtbox (typically in the forward direction). 

I’ve looked at a lot of the hitboxes on Dustloop and most of Ky’s buttons have a good amount of hurtbox. Like iirc on his fS the hitbox is literally surrounded by a thin layer of hurtbox. Obviously it’s still a good button he isn’t throwing out Menat orbs or anything. 

13 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

So does Ram have any decent conversions from fS>HS? Rook told me to use heavy sword shot but even that doesn’t reliably combo midscreen. 

From maximum range I think she got nothing.

From closer she can cancel into Dauro, and cancel the Dauro into Red Roman Cancel to extend the combo I guess.

Another thing you can do that I think works from further away but still requires meter is fS>HS into Dauro, then immediately cancel the Dauro, as soon as it starts and before it becomes active, into Dash Forward Purple Roman Cancel. The combined forward movement of Dauro and Dash Forward PRC can be enough to leave you close to the opponent and land Close Slash, continuing the combo.

Check if this stuff works in training mode though because I haven't labbed in a while.

24 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Another thing you can do that I think works from further away but still requires meter is fS>HS into Dauro, then immediately cancel the Dauro, as soon as it starts and before it becomes active, into Dash Forward Purple Roman Cancel. The combined forward movement of Dauro and Dash Forward PRC can be enough to leave you close to the opponent and land Close Slash, continuing the combo.

Do you have a video of this? I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. 

Is Ram supposed to keep moving forward during the PRC in this setup? Cause everytime I try to RC Dauro she immediately stops moving. 

30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

So does Ram have any decent conversions from fS>HS? Rook told me to use heavy sword shot but even that doesn’t reliably combo midscreen. 

Miria hit on it but I'll add in what else I know. Also this may get :tldr:ish, I just sat down with afternoon coffee. 

The short answer is: no.

I think on CH f.S you can sometimes staple H Sword Toss onto the gatling but that is the main way I've seen it combo, and it isn't a good idea unless it will corner pin/bounce anyways. You can extend as Miria said with some forward drift RC stuff which I honestly should probably lab more to get late game conversions. Right now I just use f.S, HS to pester and build RISC.

Your actual routes into combos with Ram are 5K, 2D xx Dauro -> juggle stuff, c.S, 2H xx Dauro -> juggle stuff, and 2K, 2D xx (ender) +/- RC.

5K, 2D xx Dauro allows for a 5K juggle after which can segue into:

- 6H xx H Sword Toss to put them in the corner from far out (you can take somebody to the wall from roughly round start with this sequence though of course you aren't connecting 5K, 2D at that range, but just to give you an idea of the corner carry)

- Full or partial Rekka. Full rekka to take the damage and safejump, partial to do single hit xx Dash for pressure

c.S, 2H xx Dauro is pretty much the same as above but the additional height lets you get a c.S juggle instead of the 5K which is a bit more damage (similar routes) or double 5K with a cancel on the 2nd 5K into H Sword Toss for corner carry (I think you either can or have to follow that up with S Sword Toss to juggle in time due to low height but I haven't labbed it extensively). Honestly getting c.S as a starter is really rare and if you're near the corner you mightas well just c.S, f.S, H xx H Sword Toss and go from there. Right now this is my "big punish" starter midscreen.

2K, 2D xx ender (Dauro or Rekka) is honestly what I use the most when trying to pressure. Reason being is that it starts from a low so it has a slightly higher chance of catching the opponent wiggling than 5K or c.S. This starter leads to the least overall damage but you can do 2K, 2D xx Rekka and dash cancel the first hit into pretty easy meaty pressure. Which from there you can try stuff like 5K or c.S and route those into staggered Rekkas.

Hopefully that helps. In my experience Ram is mostly pestering the shit out of the opponent and taking the accumulated damage/RISC, then when you get the hit you can probably take them to the corner and explode them. I've had the most success catching people low and with staggered Rekkas as part of actual pressure. 

15 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Do you have a video of this? I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying here. 

Is Ram supposed to keep moving forward during the PRC in this setup? Cause everytime I try to RC Dauro she immediately stops moving. 

Here's a video I found with the combo I'm talking about:

If you stop moving when you do Purple Roman Cancel that means you didn't do the dash before the Roman Cancel. In this game you can input a dash right before the Roman Cancel in order to make your character move in a certain direction during the animation of the Roman Cancel, and this combo relies on both the Dauro and the Dash Roman Cancel moving Ram forward enough to keep comboing.

Oooooh I didn’t know about the dash RC thing. Yeah I’m doing it in training now. It doesn’t work from max range but still works from pretty far and leads to good damage 

TBH I’m not really comfortable launching swords yet but even without that she can do some slick stuff

Edit: LOL I was actually doing it wrong. fs>HS dash RRC works if you’re willing to get a bit closer. The Dauro things works from even farther, but it’s a bit harder 

Thanks guys this is exactly what I was looking for 

Edited by Vhozite

Random combo I found

TK Agresa  dash RRC, cS>HS xx rekkas

Not sure how practical it is, but the *idea* is that you use it as a way to jump away from a throw or low then convert. It hits low enough to tag crouching Sol, so I’m hoping it can actually tag some other stuff. On block you can pressure of course.

If you do the Agresa really close you can hit confirm and combo from a dash PRC with something like j.S, cr.hp xx rekkas, but the timing and spacing is tight. Online it might be easier to just flowchart into RRC and take the pressure on block 

Edited by Vhozite

@M A R T I A N I also made it to Celestial with Nago just last night, though you can really feel the divide between floors 10 and heaven once you play in there enough. I think I got by on floor 10 mostly cause of the opponent not knowing what to do vs Nago or that they just need to be patient and block sometimes lol.

Was fighting a Millia in heaven that was pretty much destroying me harder than any other fight I'd had before aside from like, AlterGenesis's Ram. 

People in Celestial for the most part ACTUALLY are playing Strive it feels like. Makes me feel like I got lucky lol

1 hour ago, Gasarocky said:

@M A R T I A N I also made it to Celestial with Nago just last night, though you can really feel the divide between floors 10 and heaven once you play in there enough. I think I got by on floor 10 mostly cause of the opponent not knowing what to do vs Nago or that they just need to be patient and block sometimes lol.

Was fighting a Millia in heaven that was pretty much destroying me harder than any other fight I'd had before aside from like, AlterGenesis's Ram. 

People in Celestial for the most part ACTUALLY are playing Strive it feels like. Makes me feel like I got lucky lol

Yeah, after playing on Celestial pretty much exclusively for awhile now I gotta say I’m definitely feeling his weaknesses a lot more against Millia and Chipp. Ram doesn’t really have to take many risks to gas Nago out either.

Floor 10 and Heaven are def on a much different league than any of the other floors. It really doesn’t feel like most people are even trying below those lol. But it’s nice to be able to freely go in and out of Heaven once you get VIP. It’s definitely valuable getting to fight all the good players up here.

@GetTheTablesand I are talking about people using the parks as lobbies in the SF5 (or whatever) thread and it had me thinking...

We should set up a weekly meet-up in a region and park. 

Everyone Jump on park 69 or whatever at the same time every week so we can all get games with each other. 

I think it would be pretty dope, like everyone jump on (of you can) Wednesday at 9 PM EST or whatever and come and go as you please. 

Good news, everyone!

You may remember that some time ago it was revealed that the native input lag on PS4 was way higher than that on PC, with PC having less than one frame of input lag and PS4 having around 4 frames. Some people were concerned that the PS4 version would have been the worst version of the game because of it, and were looking forward the results on PS4Pro and PS5, and now that they're out we can bring forth the good news!

As it turns out previous fears were dashed, the PS4 version of the game is no longer the worst version of the game because the PS5 has even more native input lag!

5,62 long frames VS 4,80 frames on PS4Pro VS 4,72 frames on regular PS4.

Imagine paying 1200$ to scalpers in order to play Guilty Gear with one more frame of input lag compared to the old console.

The regular PS4 has redeemed itself and gained the enviable position of least worse way to play Strive on consoles!

Yay her!

2P4QiZubHpgmGsujBa5RU5-768-80.jpg

People are wising up to my Axl's zoning by simply closing the distance with empty jump ins while blocking, no air dashing or pressing buttons. Sucks that you no longer have to FD to block ground-to-air moves. Frankly, I have no idea how to counteract this. 

31 minutes ago, Volta said:

People are wising up to my Axl's zoning by simply closing the distance with empty jump ins while blocking, no air dashing or pressing buttons. Sucks that you no longer have to FD to block ground-to-air moves. Frankly, I have no idea how to counteract this. 

If they just take the block make sure to already be charging Rensen when you throw a poke and then do it so they land in it and take the chip damage. And if they end up in the corner you can get the explosion chip too.

Additionally, use Rensen>8 to force them into throw range and put them in a hit/throw mixup. You're plus if they block the 8 follow-up. Especially if you're getting them to single jump once without air dashing, they will be in the perfect spot to get caught by this after jumping Rensen in neutral. And if they're double or triple jumping then just be ready with your normal anti-air pokes into Rensen again.

And then if you get them to second guess whether they should jump or not for fear of eating the forced hit/throw mixup, you can use Winter Mantis again as well.

Edited by Gasarocky
11 hours ago, Volta said:

Sucks that you no longer have to FD to block ground-to-air moves.

Yeah I don’t understand how anyone can think this is a good change. The best part is that Arc got a lot of complaints in the beta about trying to anti-air and it’s true. 

Of all the changes made in Strive this is the only I can’t see any upside to.