Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

That said I have a really hard time anti airing in this game than in others

Yeah it's hard to find normals that'll hit that area above and ahead of you, right where airdashes put people. Or even right above you. I find myself jonesing for a Smash-esque u-tilt or u-air. 

Well not Nago and Pot of course. Consolation prize for limited mobility I guess.

I could AA DP, but I could get airblocked, too.

Gear hates zoning.

11 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Yeah it's hard to find normals that'll hit that area above and ahead of you, right where airdashes put people. Or even right above you. I find myself jonesing for a Smash-esque u-tilt or u-air. 

Well not Nago and Pot of course. Consolation prize for limited mobility I guess.

I could AA DP, but I could get airblocked, too.

Gear hates zoning.

6P looked like a strong universal answer for that, both when I used it and when others used it on me.

Also, this is an aerial game where you retain a lot of control of option when you're up in the air, so consider meeting people in the air if they're always up there. Unless it's Millia or Chipp because they get better-than-average air mobility that can make hard to catch them. Think of the air game as an extension of the neutral ground game.

Yeah it may just be Rams options but my experience is similar to Phantom_Miria's.

6P works a lot of the time. What I've found is that I actually hit it way too early. I sort of AA with SFV normals timing but you kind of need to use 6P like a DP otherwise it'll whiff before they even get to you.

For anything funky A2A P is usually a good answer. Ram's j.P is real good so maybe I'm spoiled. But there are definitely angles or approaches you need to meet them at if you don't have a DP or something like that.

I need to use 2H more for far jumps now that I think about it. Even though Strive is a lot less aerial than previous games I do find that half of the AA battle in this game is just identifying the angle and knowing how best to respond. Something I still need to work on.

2 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

6P looked like a strong universal answer for that, both when I used it and when others used it on me

I tend to keep 6P as a grounded counterpoke rather than AA.  I don't like risking eating a full jump-in combo just to tap someone with command jab, especially when the attacker's gotta be running their fingers through my hair for it to connect. I can cancel into DP but then why not just DP and not worry about height timing? I'm missing a middle option of just swiping a sword at the 45°

Although, I did learn of a beautiful os vs Millia's crossup nonsense.  Press 4PK. Same side is a standing Faultless Defense, crossup is 6P because button priority P > K.  

But yeah I need to bring Smash style AAi g into my game with rising normals & airthrow.

Edited by Pair of Rooks

6P is a swiss army knife.

It works on a lot of things and in a lot situations.

Other than that, most characters 2HS can work as a good AA too.

I deleted a Sols lifebar with a AA 2HS

It's always worth experimenting as even a 5P can be used to check stuff like airdashes a lot.

21 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I think you have to win 4 out of 5 matches.  Since you lost twice it was no bueno.  

I could've sworn it said 5 out of 6, but I could be wrong. I was just wondering if there were any additional demands for VIP rank.

7 hours ago, Volta said:

I could've sworn it said 5 out of 6, but I could be wrong. I was just wondering if there were any additional demands for VIP rank.

It's 5 out of 6, yes.

No other demands, you just can't lose 2 games before winning 5

And I yeah, I got kicked down 3 times by a different Chipp each time before I finally got in lol

Edited by Gasarocky
4 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

It's 5 out of 6, yes.

No other demands, you just can't lose 2 games before winning 5

And I yeah, I got kicked down 3 times by a different Chipp each time before I finally got in lol

Last night I lost 0-17 to a top 50 ranked Chipp player, the guy was obviously a significantly better player than me, but I think the matchup is pretty rough for Axl. 

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Shit man, I just ran a set with @Soneroand totally forgot to check here lol 

No worries. I didn’t have much time anyway. Fought a good Chipp anyway.

also, and unrelated. I played 3S for all of 5 minutes before getting bored and booting up strive

spacer.png

* well, when I have the time, which i don’t have a lot of this month

So, I made the mistake of looking at Eventhubs comments in an article called "Is Strive the Street Fighter V of Guilty Gear?".

"100%. Roman Cancel is just FADC or V-Trigger activation." - Self-describing

"Game is not creative. All I see is the same combos and mixups" - Literally a DBFZ player, who probably can't eve play Strive because there are DP motions in the game

And a whole crew of guys questioning whether this is a real/good Guilty Gear game or not even though I question how many of them actually played older Guilty Gears.

I can't wait for offline tournaments to return in full form because the only good thing that site was for is giving you timezones and links for tournament streams, until then it's just r/Kappa but unironic and without the occasional self-deprecation.

1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

And a whole crew of guys questioning whether this is a real/good Guilty Gear game or not even though I question how many of them actually played older Guilty Gears.

Fighting game player stay wack. 

I will never understand when people campaign the hate they have for a game or series. We get it, you don't like it. Then shut the fuck up and don't play it. This genre is niche enough already, we don't need you're dumbass trying to firebomb every game that isn't the one game from 2002 that you say is the greatest game of all time, but your ass never plays  

6 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

So, I made the mistake of looking at Eventhubs comments in an article called "Is Strive the Street Fighter V of Guilty Gear?".

I legit only remembered Eventscrubs was a thing this week.

Been free of that trash for months now, there's really no point when people drop FG news on the SFV Lounge.

6 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

until then it's just r/Kappa but unironic and without the occasional self-deprecation.

r/Kappa is unironically better in every conceivable way...

Damn, now that I think about it, that's really sad. 🤣

Edited by Volt
7 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I was once lectured on Discord about how Strive was going to be a total failure.  The person claimed that he was an Xrd player and went into all sorts of reasons why Strive was bad and a huge step backward from Xrd.

I found out shortly after that this person didn't even know how to air tech.  They were writing essays about game mechanics but didn't even know how to do one of the most basic things in the game they claimed to play.

You can't trust people online. 🙃

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

I was once lectured on Discord about how Strive was going to be a total failure.  The person claimed that he was an Xrd player and went into all sorts of reasons why Strive was bad and a huge step backward from Xrd.

I think that’s the same guy who really hated Xrd until Strive came out. He would talk shit about the characters and the mechanics, asking people if they want a fight, play him in Accent Core.

Well someone did when it got rollback and he was shit at that game too. He pretty infamous in the community.

14 minutes ago, Volta said:

He touches you twice and you're dead. Seriously, who the hell did the balance check on this guy and went: "Yeah, he's perfectly fine. Better downgrade Faust some more."

Ishitawari himself.

By the way, did you know that Sol is like, his alter-ego/OC/whatever nerdy kids draw to imagine them cooler?

Online Sol does his command grab super at full screen.  I already have a 5-hit fireball on the way. 

Nope, I lose. 

Online Sol does his command grab super at half screen. I've already inputted my invincible super. 

Nope I lose. 

PRC in his face on my offense for the throw. 

Nope I lose.  He can just walk out. 

Online Sol gets out-neutraled in ranked, one combo away from him losing the set. 

Nope, game soft-locks in the middle of the fight. Both characters just stand idle, the controller doesn't do anything.

I'm done for today. 

10 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Online Sol does his command grab super at full screen.  I already have a 5-hit fireball on the way. 

Nope, I lose. 

Online Sol does his command grab super at half screen. I've already inputted my invincible super. 

Nope I lose. 

PRC in his face on my offense for the throw. 

Nope I lose.  He can just walk out. 

Online Sol gets out-neutraled in ranked, one combo away from him losing the set. 

Nope, game soft-locks in the middle of the fight. Both characters just stand idle, the controller doesn't do anything.

I'm done for today. 

This post reminds me of the pastebin going around around of ogawa complaining about sol. 

https://pastebin.com/FKfWSKPu

13 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I was watching a Sol vs Millia match recently and it struck me that the difference in tiers in this game is probably related to ease of damage.  Millia has great mixups but has to work so much harder for damage that Sol gets from basic shit.  

Ease of damage, ease of conversion, ease of piling up risc, ease of extending combos, ease of getting plus frames, ease of anti airing, ease of turning anti airs into damage, ease of getting oki from those high damage conversions.

Mans is easing it like Sunday morning.

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

You all talk about tiers and balance until you get Potbusterd for half your health.
Watching FAB play Strive inspires me to become a Potemkin main! 

Whiff Potbuster PRC into Potbuster is just magnificent.

I fight a lot of Potemkin but get c.grabbed very little. Pot has good normals and AA but the day I learned about 6P low-profiling Hammerfall I've been bullying him ever since.

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Funny seeing people complaining about Sol now yet I specifically remember catching hate a couple years ago for saying game mascots just like him shouldn’t be good and that it’s cancerous when they get special treatment from the devs. 

Sol has always been Daisuke's precious boy. This one is just extra burly. He isn't necessarily breaking the game. Dude is just way too great in too many areas.

It isn't that Sol shouldn't be good. All characters should be good. The state of SF5 Ryu was bad for the game. But like goddamn, Sol is fighting with all the force of having had to kill his wife multiple times. He needs nut but holds it in just to hit you.

let the man some release FFS.

43 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I've seen a Giovanna and a Nago (!) using 6P to low profile Ram's fS and HS. The upper body invincibility that move grants is no joke.

Nagoriyuki can 6P through Ky's standard fireball. His is ridiculously good. 

I think the 6Ps in this game are kinda jank, but I love them all anyway. 

EDIT someone's askin' to get bodied

Edited by Pair of Rooks
1 hour ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I've seen a Giovanna and a Nago (!) using 6P to low profile Ram's fS and HS. The upper body invincibility that move grants is no joke.

Yeah if I’m being honest I feel like 6P’s are a little too good at dealing with grounded attacks. Rook was using Ky 6P to counter poke my fS when I play playing Ram and it took me a few rounds to figure out what was even going on lol. Like I get you need the upper body invulnerability to make it functional as an AA but it seems dumb that they can dodge a  regular grounded aimed at their midsection.

From a visual standpoint hitbox interactions like this drive me up the wall. It just looks so ridiculously jank when my normal whiffs through a characters whole torso they CH me by smacking my sword...