Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

40 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

From a visual standpoint hitbox interactions like this drive me up the wall. It just looks so ridiculously jank when my normal whiffs through a characters whole torso they CH me by smacking my sword...

I dig it personally. It doesn't make much sense visually but it opens up interesting ways to play the neutral by giving everyone ways to low profile enemy's attacks.

Also, visuals that don't match the mechanics intuitively is something that has been with the series for a while. All Dust attacks are overheads but many don't look like overheads at all, and some even animate like attacks coming from the ground that you still have to block high.

Like this example here I stumbled upon today by chance.

GGAC_Testament_5D.png

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah if I’m being honest I feel like 6P’s are a little too good at dealing with grounded attacks. Rook was using Ky 6P to counter poke my fS when I play playing Ram and it took me a few rounds to figure out what was even going on lol. Like I get you need the upper body invulnerability to make it functional as an AA but it seems dumb that they can dodge a  regular grounded aimed at their midsection.

Thats textbook Guilty Gear though. Ky using 6P during footsies been going on since he got the thing.

It can be a bit jarring if its your first time playing against the interaction. But you can do all sorts of cool things with it. Varies from character to character on the usefulness. Usually they had different properties attached to them. Slayer got a wall bounce on counterhit that lead to pile bunker combos. 

Overall though, kind of a water is wet interaction.

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

It can be a bit jarring if its your first time playing against the interaction.

It wasn’t my first time seeing it but for some reason I just couldn’t make sense of what was happening in the moment. 

Im not too pressed over it. I like Ram but she isn’t a character I plan on using for the rest of my life. 

Chipp is absolutely insane in Celestial. I fought a lvl1000 JP Chipp that utterly destroyed me 9 matches in a row. I seriously don't know what Nago can do if the Chipp player is patient and not twitchy. Chipp can punish any H whiff at almost any range but just running forward, and his fS is way faster than any of Nago's buttons with similar range.

And the 2S>2H whiff cancel is ridiculous.

Nago can't do shit about Beta blade if he ever jumps as well, Chipp literally gets to do it for free because Nago has no air actions.

Feeling pretty lost in the match up.

Edited by Gasarocky
1 hour ago, Gasarocky said:

Chipp is absolutely insane in Celestial. I fought a lvl1000 JP Chipp that utterly destroyed me 9 matches in a row. I seriously don't know what Nago can do if the Chipp player is patient and not twitchy. Chipp can punish any H whiff at almost any range but just running forward, and his fS is way faster than any of Nago's buttons with similar range.

Nago can't do shit about Beta blade if he ever jumps as well, Chipp literally gets to do it for free because Nago has no air actions.

That matchup sucks ass for nago as far as I can tell.  I feel like if I'm playing against a chipp who even kind of knows what they're doing my only chance is to read his burst/dps and win from there. If I don't do that then it's really hard to touch him lol

I feel you have to play very compact bc as you said, nagos best neutral buttons can either be punished or lose him his turn if he whiffs them.  And then chipp pressure is really strong, especially j.2k...

Took Ram for a spin last night and she's pretty nuts. Her corner pressure is insane. 

Played a set with a milia in the park that was obviously doing the same thing I was, just trying someone else out. 

Whooped her pretty good, so the dude dips out and changes to his main, Sol. 

Cooks me like Sunday dinner, but I'm starting to close the gap after 5 games, so I decide to switch to May for some more competitive games and homie refuses to rematch me. 

This renob ducked me in broad daylight. What a bum 🤣

QCF MAJOR DISCOVERY

If you move your stick from down to down-forward to forward as Ryu in Street Fighter 2 and then rapidly press any punch button some kind of fireball projectile will come out, and it goes full screen!!!

This totally changes the meta and gives Ryu way better range!

Please, like and subscribe to make this knowledge common.

#SF2

9 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

QCF MAJOR DISCOVERY

If you move your stick from down to down-forward to forward as Ryu in Street Fighter 2 and then rapidly press any punch button some kind of fireball projectile will come out, and it goes full screen!!!

This totally changes the meta and gives Ryu way better range!

Please, like and subscribe to make this knowledge common.

#SF2

To be *fair* something like that definitely happened back in the day. 🤣

16 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

As an Axl main, I can relate. 

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

For help dealing with Chipp as Nagoriyuki, Hotashi provided ways to get around J. 2K.

He begins talking about it around 1:18 in the video.

Yeah I know the methods he talked about but it's still hard to deal with. Especially when the Chipp knows to do em at low altitude low so you don't have as much time to react. Definitely helpful for the Chipp's that like to go all the way to the top of the screen then drop on you with it though.

Fukyo into 2h especially, if you do it early enough for the counter hit, is incredibly rewarding. The holding forward tip is great when you don't have the reactions yet as well.

13 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

Yeah I know the methods he talked about but it's still hard to deal with.

This isn't a diss on Hotashi or his advice, but a bit more indepth since indepth explanations is the point of forums. His advice isn't bad, he just didn't present situations in a realistic way. I'll do some testing for some stuff I left out later (the double jump/triple jump sitaution, when it comes up in blockstring *eventually I gotta sit down and figure out chipp pressure so this one may take a while*). Either way, fresh notes from the lab:

I know Hotashi is a good player, but I feel like he didn't necessarily do a good job really explaining the situation. Chipp's divekick moves toward the opponent a bit. I used to think he can steer it, but that's not the case. Just moves forward a bit and goes down.

Now this is important to keep in mind when figuring out how to approach it for a few reasons. The first thing is that you have to pay attention where he is divekicking from: Is he doing it from a jump, air dash or double/triple jump?  In a regular jump its mostly safe to cross him under since you know where he'll be going: in the direction of the jump. If you have room to backdash, he'll whiff in front of you and if you go under he'll be moved away from you.

Let's take the air dash situation since there's three of them: instant air dash, normal jump air dash (this one will fly a lot higher than air dash) and super jump air dash.  What makes air dash and double jump situations tricky is how the game corrects which way an air character is facing. When you Air dash in the air, your character is generally going to face whichever direction he is dashing towards. If you wait for the end of the dash, the character switches which way he is facing. When he air dashes from a normal jump, he can do some really tricky stuff with it. He can do it midway through the air dash to land in front without hitting, have it hit in the front, wait til the end and hit a late divekick to hit after he his character faces the right direction and then start it a bit closer to your character so he can cross you up with the forward movement of the divekick. That small amount of forward movement allows him all those options.  All that is going to be true for instant air dash and regular jump air dash.

The normal jump and instant air dash situation is the easiest to deal with from these. If he is within round start range, you have multiple options. You can 6P divekick, and his air dashed S and HS clean from that distance. HS might cross you up based on timing but you won't get it. From that distance you can also wait out the air dash crest and dash under it for free. The last option from here is air throw.  Any distance closer than round start, you can dash under for free. If you backdash from round start, you'll avoid the divekick but then get bopped by the other two jump in options. Dash under if you feel you can still beat him in neutral, 6P if you wanna dunk him or air throw if you wanna switch sides on the stage.

The one situation that Hotashi showed off I just found a weird answer for. So if he normals jump you in the corner, just dash under. Nagoriyuki can actually forward teleport the hell out on reaction to him jumping forward. Matter of fact he can do short teleport and get an actual punish on him. So that's all well and good but what other options do we have? Another thing you can do is the hold forward he told you to do and block. But wait, there's more. In the corner you can actually just jump forward and air block. Holding up forward will block it and you'll get push to where the timer is. You can FD that too if you feel like it. Now there's an even funner option if you're feeling frisky. You can actually do  walk forward to cross him under for a bit and then immediatley 6P the other side. So your character will take a step, turn around and then 6P on the correct side and counterhit his ass to oblivion. Nago can do it but his is tricky. Gio can do it pretty free. Sol punches Chipp into the next round.

I'll stop here for now but a lot more options tested that you can actually use. I'll talk about other situations later when somebody reminds me and I'm not burnt out from testing stuff.

Edited by Sonero