Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

The trailer by itself. Truly sorry for you Happy Chaos fans out there.

Can’t quite grasp his play style but at least his isn’t giant Axl like some people expecting he would be. Also glad that the not-an-alien gets attacks for several moves. May be one of the few times I play with an heavy in a fighting game. I’m glad he’s coming out in a week so we don’t have to wonder for long.

image0.png

The roadmap for this season. Looks like the “after fall 2021” extended to next year. That’s a shame. Hopefully the time flies.

Spoiler

With the additional story being coming with the last character, I wouldn’t be surprised if Asuka/That Man or Chaos was among the last characters for the pass.

Goldlewis has a lot of charm tho. I like the ethereal alien arm that sends out gadgets and gives him weapons. Feels very Guilty Gear. He has a lot of weight to his moves like ABA which is cool too lol. His dash and (I'm guessing) 6HS in particular.

Literally the only thing against him is that it's not Chaos. Still looking forward to trying him out. 

Edit: and his theme is a banger but it's not a big deal.

Edited by Jocelot
8 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

fuuuuck it's not Chaos.  Character crisis until 2022......

That trailer was not hype at all LOL

Agreed dude. Next DLC is supposedly a returning character and I’m hoping it’s someone I like because if not I’ll basically won’t have any motivation to play until next year. 

I’ve never played a FG where I want to like it so much but at the same time I just don’t want to play any of the characters. 

Edit: I could cope with Ky if he wasn’t so fucking boring to watch and look at.

Edited by Vhozite

Maybe its just me but I've never found any of the Strive trailers to be particularly exciting. They're mostly tone pieces. 

In that regard the Goldlewis trailer was really solid. Really conveys a ponderous, strong character. Very likely not my kind of character but I absolutely love the design.

Hopefully by the time he comes out I'll have time to play again.

28 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Only surprised anybody would get the first dlc slot over Happy, given that he's the main focus for much of the story.

Only reason to keep him out of the base line up anyway would be to hype the season pass.

Ariels was the big bad in Xrd and she ended up never becoming playable either.

We'll see if Happy Chaos will have more luck. Though, I'm reading from lore summaries that Happy Chaos kinda was Ariels, or controlled her, or something?

51 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

We'll see if Happy Chaos will have more luck. Though, I'm reading from lore summaries that Happy Chaos kinda was Ariels, or controlled her, or something?

Spoilers for Strive’s story.

Spoiler

Happy Chaos is actually The Original, the man who brought the knowledge of magic into the world and was That Man’s teacher. He also created the Universal Will which should have led humanity to a better path but instead it disobeyed orders and tried to replace humans because they suck. He tried to stop it, but it overpowered him and trapped him in the Backyard which ends up driving him insane. 

I think I need to play a different character than Millia. While landing her air combos is extremely fun and satisfying, it kinda gets old always trying to get in and land a sweep and repeat.

I still want to play 3S but I miss strive as well. May try to lab someone else (thinking Gio or Chipp

edit: I’m not a huge fan of Chipp and Gio seems like what I should want in a character, but idk, she doesn’t really excite me either. Millia’s probably my main but DLC is likely to change that.

Edited by Mattatsu
8 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Though, I'm reading from lore summaries that Happy Chaos kinda was Ariels, or controlled her, or something?

No, he was *in* Ariels.

As in, I-No literally shoved her hand in her tiddies and pulled him outta there.

Happy Chaos was her Victoria's Secret. 🤣

As fo Dickinson... #FreeMyManThatMan 😭

1 hour ago, Volt said:

No, he was *in* Ariels.

As in, I-No literally shoved her hand in her tiddies and pulled him outta there.

Happy Chaos was her Victoria's Secret. 🤣

As fo Dickinson... #FreeMyManThatMan 😭

Yeah, I've read something like that.

So, it was like a possession thing or something?

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Yeah, I've read something like that.

So, it was like a possession thing or something?

Nope. Basically she was hiding him in there.

It's one of the first scenes in the story, Chapter 1. It's easier if you see it for yourself.

Played some Pot today and I might make him my main. 

May is great (and I get carried by her a lot more) but I find myself having more fun losing with Pot than winning with May. 

Of course, none of this character dilemma bullshit i'm spewing is going to matter when Goldie drops next week....

POT MAIN TILL THE 27TH!!! ALL HAIL POT (for the next 5 days) !!! 

Edited by KingTubb
37 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Me Too Samesies GIF

But did you buy it

Twice

Money GIF

3 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Seems like lots of people here are playing Strive but nobody been battling with me. 😠

Who wants to get a beating?

Hopefully next time I'm on we can catch up and play. We got games in way back when this came out and never since. I'll put put the call out on discord next time I get...time. 

2 hours ago, Jocelot said:

Kinda considering buying it again myself tbh. Once it goes on sale of course. According to the big brains here even my basic bitch PC can run Strive so if I can play it without worrying about my PSN expiring that would be nice.

In the worst case, there is the Potato Mod for PC.

It really helps lower end PCs with keeping the game smooth.

Wow I don't think I've seen a special move with so many contextual inputs as Behemoth Typhoon. People who have sloppy inputs are gonna get exposed a lot I think. Luckily the HCF/HCB versions seem to be the "entry level" variants of the special, and you kinda start working in the other ones like the Magnetic Blast input one or the uhh, half circle upward version the more confortable you get using Goldlewis. I like that, it's like the essence of learning a new GG character which I like.

Also I like the Security Level gimmick. It's pretty much a passive that you can utilize when you're not throwing out big damage IN THIS BEHEMOTH TYPHOON  which I also appreciate. Overall seems like a cool character. 

Edited by Jocelot

I like Goldie's use of HCD inputs and the like. I've always been a big fan of QCD inputs in SFA2 Alpha Counter, ST Green Hand, and the other QCD 896 in XvSF for Nash and Mags and wish more characters used them as a matter of course.

The fact that the joystick sweep mimics Goldie's swing in direction and rotation is just one of those things that I bet feels good and natural. The fact that the attack also hits or sends as you'd expect is 👩‍🍳💋.

I'm surprised he has two projectiles, even if they both seem hyper specialized. 

And no command grab! 😮 I wonder if that's a deal breaker for our monkey man. 

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis terrorizes Smash players with the notion of half circle inputs.

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis discovers the release date for Oro in SFV, only to quickly hide it as confidential top secret information.

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis reveals that he is not the burger sheriff from the US stage in Guilty Gear Xrd, but rather that burger sheriff is his estranged brother, that he hopes to reconnect with some day.

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis accidentally reveals that the name of the Alien/cryptid is Franz-Ferdinand.

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis is led to a thought-provoking self-critique on the historical role and crimes committed by the United States of America, that he now serves as Secretary of Defense, from the Vietnam War to Iraq to the US role in creating Gears, Justice and starting the Crusades that left most of the world as a post-apocalyptic wasteland, culminating in a scathing denounce of American exceptionalism and the illusion of the American Dream.

In this Behemoth Typhoon Goldlewis eats a borger. It's very effective against Ramlethal.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but how would you go about inputting the half-circle that starts with up without jumping? Are there a lot of pre-jump frames in GG?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I suppose you spend about the same time with an up motion when doing an SPD, so it's probably not that big of a deal.

Edited by delete_me
7 minutes ago, delete_me said:

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but how would you go about inputting the half-circle that starts with up without jumping? Are there a lot of pre-jump frames in GG?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I suppose you spend about the same time with an up motion when doing an SPD, so it's probably not that big of a deal.

I assume you'll be doing the half-circles while in the middle of normals or other Behemoth Typhoons.

In recent Street Fighter games SPDs have a lot leniency and you can do them just by doing a half-circle that overshoots into up-forward or up-backward and then cancel the pre-jump frames immediately, so in anime terms it'd be 632147 or 412369, but since Goldlewis demands full half-circles that go up he's probably going to require buffering in the middle of other animations that keep you from jumping.

21 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I assume you'll be doing the half-circles while in the middle of normals or other Behemoth Typhoons.

In recent Street Fighter games SPDs have a lot leniency and you can do them just by doing a half-circle that overshoots into up-forward or up-backward and then cancel the pre-jump frames immediately, so in anime terms it'd be 632147 or 412369, but since Goldlewis demands full half-circles that go up he's probably going to require buffering in the middle of other animations that keep you from jumping.

In their presentation video he's standing still while doing them though. Otherwise, yeah, buffering the motion during other stuff was my initial idea as well.