Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general, Anime perky boobs are de wae

Tried out Zato for the first time and I think he is really cool. He kinda reminds of me of Venom (the Spider-Man villain), who is one of my favorite fictional characters. He uses my favorite fighting style, which is throwing projectiles (or in this case Eddie) then moving while the opponent deals with the independent hitbox. Great strategy for forcing errors out of the other guy.

That said I don’t like him for the same reason I don’t like Nago; I hate resource management. Zato at least has a forward and air dash, but in return he also has shit cancel options from his best buttons just like every other character I’ve tried besides Nago.

At this point it seems like if I’m gonna play this game I’m gonna have to get over something. Every character has something in their kit I would consider a deal breaker in another game. I’m gonna wait and see who the next DLC is, but if I don’t like them either  I’ll probably just power through my hatred of extra meters and use Zato or go back to Nago.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

t this point it seems like if I’m gonna play this game I’m gonna have to get over something. Every character has something in their kit I would consider a deal breaker in another game.

Good. Get past your mortal shackles and reach for godhood.

1 hour ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm pretty much done with Strive. I haven't felt like playing for the better part of the last 2-3 weeks. It's not that I don't have the resources or the time to play, there's something I can't quite put my finger on that's keeping me from continuing with this game.

Nobody on the roster has inspired me to really dig into the game.  I mostly am just playing casually at the moment.  It might be one of those games that gets  better as time goes .... like I wasn't really into the first couple seasons of SFV but the game is in a really good spot right now.  

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I felt more free to express myself with trash tier Season 2 Vega than I do with anyone in this game. 

Express what exactly?  Most of this sounds like "I need a character that does everything or it isn't a right fit".  Maybe you just wanna sit at the same range you do in SF5 and just hold the corner. Which is an entirely viable strategy in this game. People think you have to play to crack the wall,  But you can switch your gameplan once there and adjust to force people to eat a bunch of strike/throw situations.

Playing Gio, I have multiple approaches to a lot of situations. Playing Ram, which took me a minute to get used to because of how different she moves from Gio, also gave me a lot of different approaches to a lot of situations.

You're gonna have to elaborate on what exactly is getting at you in this game.

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Feeling shackled is the whole reason I’m not enjoying the game. I felt more free to express myself with trash tier Season 2 Vega than I do with anyone in this game. 

I can get behind this. Movement is so much better here than SF it's easier to overlook that all the characters are pretty stuck into their archtypical play.  Combo system is more freeform... or so I've heard since Ky is tagging ppl at range so little actually works. 

This 6236 shit needs to go in the trashfire where it belongs. A correct fireball input should never do a DP instead. What moron thought that that would be a good idea.

While we're at it, deleting dragon install and shock state and 6K would make him a better character.  Did the same moron think putting two supers on the same button also makes things "easier"?

Does RtL really need 17 iframes on startup? I fraud out so many rounds with raw super I feel like the game is intentionally trying to teach me bad habits. 

Footsies? I'm to the point of being afraid to poke at some characters I outrange because I'm the only one getting hit when I do.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
10 hours ago, Sonero said:

You're gonna have to elaborate on what exactly is getting at you in this game.

I actually like the corner break mechanic even tho it sort of nerfs corner combos. It puts a hard cap on the insane momentum you can get from cornering the opponent while still rewarding the attacking player for putting the other guy on his heels. 

As for my issues with the roster, I’m going the spoiler it because it’ll be really long.

Spoiler

Starting this off by saying the most important thing is aesthetics. I have to like how my character looks. If there is someone who checks all my boxes but I don’t like them visually, I’m willing to try them, but so far that has not been my experience. 

I do not want a character that does everything. I want someone who can do the basics without jumping through a bunch of hoops while also not being one dimensional as fuck. 

1. Reliable meterless conversions

2. Forward dashes (at least ground but preferably also air)

3. Unlimited use of my special moves

4. Some degree of versatility. I don’t want to play a dedicated zoner if it means having dogshit close range options and I don’t want to play a gorilla if it means having  no options outside of point blank range.

Here is a list of every character I’ve tried and afterwards I will explain in detail why I don’t like them in case what I say I want above is actually not accurate. 

Axl

Faust
Gio
I-no

Ky
Milia

Nago

Pot

Ram

Sol

Zato

Axl: This character gets recommended to me A LOT despite me always saying i do not want to zone all day but fuck it he’s stylish and has a time stop so why not. My biggest hang up with Axl is that I like his range, but there is too many instances where he cannot turn it into anything. Sickle Flash and Rainwater don’t combo from anything that isn’t sweep, and Snail somehow either doesn’t reach from his far hitting buttons or straight up whiffs up close. Like you can hit with his jabs, j.S, 2H, etc but you can’t always convert them into damage or a KD unless you’re throwing them at a range that probably isn’t safe...and at that point why play him? Time Stop is also complete trash lol. Tbh I actually like Axl a lot more then a lot of characters but I don’t want to galaxy brain every damn special cancel. 

Faust: Another suggestion, and some of the same problems as Axl. A good set of slash and heavy slash buttons that lead to absolutely fuck all unless you’re breathing on the other guy. I like his air projectile but I don’t like the RNG on the item toss. His non projectiles specials seem like straight up ass. Thrust and the spinny move don’t combo from shit, and his teleport is slow as fuck and a hilariously bad “mixup”. He has screen presence at every range and real air options, but this boy needs some damn conversions. 

Gio: I love her mobility, her look, multi-hit normals, and finally a fucking reliable special cancel in Sepultra. Character is snappy for sure, but she has to be close as fuck to do anything. Pass. 

I-no: Hate the hover dash, which is really the bottom line. I want a normal forward dash. Also find it totally ridiculous her 5k is jump cancelable but not dash cancelable, even though the entire point of the hover dash is immediate access to air normals on approach. The one situation I’d really want access to her dash and you can’t even use it. Get this character out of my sight.  

Ky/Sol: Absolutely no redeeming aesthetic qualities whatsoever. Playing these characters is like staring at the off white walls in my house. Gameplay wise Ky is actually pretty close to what I want, albeit a bit boring (exactly why I disliked him in Xrd too) and with mediocre projectiles to boot. Sol is a generic good stuff gorilla character. But like I said these characters are more bland than my step mothers cooking. 

Milia: Great mobility, great offensive options, and a (unconventional) fireball. Shit cancels from her far pokes. Let fS cancel into hair car or top max range and I’m down to boogie. 

Nago: My initial main. Amazing buttons, cool ass design, conversions from range. Very nearly a home run, but after a while I got real tired of managing blood rage. If he had a forward dash that didn’t add to the meter I would be able to cope but the fact that I have to add to his rage meter for a damn dash made him infuriating to play after a while. Or like when you score a good hit and can’t go into more than a special because Bloodrage even tho Nago has sick ass combos. If his OD reduced Bloodrage the same way his grab did I’d be down because then I could go all out and dump super to stay safe but nah, gotta proactively pump the brakes to avoid full rage or set up his corny ass command grab (which is hard to do when you really need it because LOL AGAIN dash adds to meter). Nago without this cornball ass rage mechanic or a damn normal forward dash is a lifelong main. 

Pot: My original Xrd main. I love him...but NO RANGED COMBO ENDER ffs. He’s just like Ram with this S>HS into ??? nonsense. But even besides that I really don’t like kara buster and mega fist. They are pretty much necessary to play him effectively, yet they are gated behind difficult execution in a game aimed at drawing in beginners. Why not just make them normal inputs mapped to a different button like the other character with multiple multiple versions of the same move? It feels like totally arbitrary difficulty for it own sake. 

Ram: S>HS into nothing. Pain. Also strongly dislike the sword launching. Corner dependent and guts her buttons. Gives good offense but frankly I don’t care about the corner pressure as that’s not why I’m interested in the character. I would play Ram with fS>H, a max range combo ender, and no other moves over current Ram. 

Zato: pretty cool character. I hate extra meters. His ranged cancel options seemed bad like half the characters on this list, but I didn’t deep dive him like some of the others yet so I might be wrong. 

For most of these I want one good buffer I can rely on to combo or no meter telling me how much I can play a character a certain way. That’s what I mean when I say I feel limited. I don’t like being constrained to one range or being forced to get closer to do anything. You can RC to do things, but it feels like it’s to often I need to RC for something instead of it being gravy on top of the usual stuff. 

On top of that laundry list, there is a distinct lack of dangerous projectiles. Stun Edges have so much recovery they are sometimes punishable on hit. Milia’s top is mostly for oki, Faust’s stuff is literally random, etc. Where is the shit that commands real space and respect?

Edited some typos, grammatical errors, and toned down the overuse of “literally”. 

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

This 6236 shit needs to go in the trashfire where it belongs. A correct fireball input should never do a DP instead. What moron thought that that would be a good idea.

This is a problem that I've come across in so many FGs.

You know whats the easy way to gurantee fireballs?

Do 1236 even if you do 61236, you will get the fireball.

Thank me later and send me big anime tiddies.

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

This is a problem that I've come across in so many FGs.

You know whats the easy way to gurantee fireballs?

Do 1236 even if you do 61236, you will get the fireball.

This is good advice, but this issue is the type of totally arbitrary difficultly that makes the genre hard to get into for a lot of people. For example there is no reason for stun edge and vapor thrust to have nearly overlapping inputs when at the same time Ky’s P and D buttons have literally no specials attached to them. 

It’s something you can definitely account for, but I can’t think of a single reason it makes the game better. Maybe a FG can tell me since every company seems to love doing it. 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Where is the shit that commands real space and respect?

Presumably with Happy Chaos and That Man. It's a reason some were hoping one of them were the first dlc.

And no one needs explaining why they don't Faust. Random items is always a make or break mechanic.

I've been watching other Kys use charged fireball on oki... and getting absolutely nothing from it, regularly.  It doesn't stop anyone from downbacking, actually encourages it, and doesn't mask dust hardly at all.  You could delete that move too and put regular fireball on P. Or hold P if you want charged. 

On Ky's pokes there's a 3-way hit confirm: fireball on block, stun Dipper on hit, foundre kick on COUNTER.  Two of them share the QC input, at least. 

I like Strider Kiske more than most, but some of his mechanics make him a difficult character to play.

10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I actually like the corner break mechanic even tho it sort of nerfs corner combos. It puts a hard cap on the insane momentum you can get from cornering the opponent while still rewarding the attacking player for putting the other guy on his heels. 

As for my issues with the roster, I’m going the spoiler it because it’ll be really long.

Edited some typos, grammatical errors, and toned down the overuse of “literally”. 

Maybe try Leo? He's a pretty well rounded character who has sword normals and projectiles to play at range, gets 236s from all his pokes, and his only limit on mobility is having a step dash instead of a run.

@VhoziteI get what you mean about the characters. One of the criticisms I have with this game is that it definitely has that modern game issue where the design results in some of the gameplay feeling clipped in weird ways, with a big hesitation on having strong zoning. I think some of this is due to early balance hiccups, and some of it doesn't bother me as much (I'm happy to just poke away all day with Ram for instance), but I definitely get it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much of that is going to change. Thinking about the remaining DLC chars, assuming the leaks are accurate (and that seems pretty likely at this point) I think there are two candidates for solid space control, but I'd be surprised if (assuming they are zoners or zoner-ish) they don't end up being weak up close. We'll see for sure I guess. There is one wildcard char that I'm pretty sure they'll rework from their previous version, but who knows how that will turn out (see: what happened with Ram from Xrd to here).

Maybe Goldlewis? He actually has some decent space control and his mobility doesn't seem awful, weirdly enough. I guess it depends on how many half-circles you are comfortable doing in a match.

------

Managed to play this weekend but just long enough to knock the rust off. Hopefully I can get matches in this week. I'm feeling the call again. 

Messed around with I-No a bit more. Anyone have any tech for easier TKs on hitbox? I looked up one technique that I haven't really tried yet, as realistically with her I'm so far away from really needing that skill. But it'd be good to practice. She's so funky to work with I find I spend a lot more time in training mode with her than Ram, unless I have something more specific to practice with Ram.

Also finished the story. Non-spoilery stuff: its good dumb anime fun. I think it is presented much, much better than Xrd's was. Decent chunks of it are actively fun to watch.

Spoiler-y stuff

Spoiler

Happy Chaos is great. Real fun character.

The bit with Sol at the end of the story is really weird because he's just hanging out reading a book, being the size of a shed. I don't know why the guy who showed up wasn't like "hey you have to be Sol because you're a fucking gigantic mutant."

RIP I-No. 😢 Though she's a time witch so who knows if that'll stick. 

President Lazer Arm for Season 2 DLC! His buddy cop adventure with Sol was cute.

I don't feel like Axl is weak right now, when we talk about Zoner. He seems pretty solid, but he has the Long Limb Character Problems.

His biggest downside is one of the system changes, being able to jump at him without having to FD is pretty big.

Also, Ram is pretty much a Zoner until you are cornerd, her Buttons control space well and she does pretty good in that regard.

Ky also seems very solid, with a few cracks that could use some fixing. Like the inconsistency of Stun Diper.

You could also argure that Pot zones people with his presence and the fact that he moves and people want to run away from him.

Anyway I doubt the leaks are true, they don't match with the info we got from developer backyards.

They specificaly said 1 newbie, 4 returnees.

The leaks have 3 newbies and 2 returnees.

6 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Anyway I doubt the leaks are true, they don't match with the info we got from developer backyards.

They specificaly said 1 newbie, 4 returnees.

The leaks have 3 newbies and 2 returnees.

The interview from 4gamer stated that Daisuke would like to have at least 1 new character. At least 1 doesn’t mean that there will only be one new character. Their early access showcase also just says that the first character released will be new while the second will be a returning character. Nothing about the last three which could be all new or all returning for all we know. 

So while it is not impossible for the leak to be false, there’s nothing not saying it is true as well. 

Spoiler

Though I fall into the datamine being real with all five characters models also being found in the datamine. Goldlewis seemed to be the most finished and even had the alien arms that shows up in attacks.

9 hours ago, GetTheTables said:
Spoiler

RIP I-No. 😢 Though she's a time witch so who knows if that'll stick. 

Story spoiler…

Spoiler

I think you missed a pretty big twist. Remember how I-No had a boyfriend in an old timeline with long blond hair and she realized right before she “died” when Axl was crying that he also had long blond hair? Remember how Axl also pined for an old GF he lost long ago due to time? Now, do you remember the girl with a familiar voice who found Axl in a park later?

edit to clarify: they aren’t the same people they were in the previous timelines, but rather alternate timeline versions of them… if that makes any sense at all lol

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Story spoiler…

Hide contents

I think you missed a pretty big twist. Remember how I-No had a boyfriend in an old timeline with long blond hair and she realized right before she “died” when Axl was crying that he also had long blond hair? Remember how Axl also pined for an old GF he lost long ago due to time? Now, do you remember the girl with a familiar voice who found Axl in a park later?

edit to clarify: they aren’t the same people they were in the previous timelines, but rather alternate timeline versions of them… if that makes any sense at all lol

COUNTER-SPOILER

Spoiler

Yeah I pretty much caught that part. And I liked that whole bit quite a lot. Its a nice humanizing moment right there at the end before I-No gets faded.

The whole "alternate timelines" thing makes it kind of weird for me because that I-No, the sad lonely one, is still super dead. She doesn't really get the benefit of that resolution though the plotting makes it pretty clear that she had chosen a path that blocked all of that off for her. There is still some resolution there but its more of a general thing and you just gotta hope that Axl and 2-No have a good life together.

Not like I'm a huge I-No mark or anything. I thought they used her character well, especially since I don't remember a lot of development with her previously. They (ArcSys) did that thing that NRS got really good at: building a character up in an arc and then sending them off in a pretty good way.

Also yeah actually playing I-No is a pain in the ass. Drumming on the dash button to practice hover dash stuff definitely fucks with my arm. And she has a lot of weird things to get used to in general, like figuring out how to use Chemical Love correctly (read: less than you think you should but more than not at all). Still though I've had a good bit of fun playing her the little I have, and she's significantly different from Ram so its a neat change of pace when I do switch it up.

It's sort of a backhanded compliment but she's a really fun side character that I couldn't imagine playing as a primary, with the kinda funny caveat that she is technical enough (by this game's standard anyways) that she is someone that dabbling with is less fun than, say, Gio.

13 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

I-No

Spoiler

"Yeah I pretty much caught that part. And I liked that whole bit quite a lot. Its a nice humanizing moment right there at the end before I-No gets faded.

The whole "alternate timelines" thing makes it kind of weird for me because that I-No, the sad lonely one, is still super dead. She doesn't really get the benefit of that resolution though the plotting makes it pretty clear that she had chosen a path that blocked all of that off for her. There is still some resolution there but its more of a general thing and you just gotta hope that Axl and 2-No have a good life together."

The only real alternate timeline in the game is the one where I-No went to the past and saved Ky at the Battle of Rome. After that you get glimpses of possible timelines through XX. GG2 and up its all one straight timeline with no silliness about it.  The irony of it is that I-No was trying to find the "good ending" to humanity. So I-No's and Axl's situation was resolved without it being alternate versions of themselves.

Think with them they wanted a path that locked them into that one moment back when they were first together. But that isn't really possible given that both of them are products of the backyard. So alls well that ends well. By the end of it I-No can't remember half the stuff she'd seen so her losing some "memory" isn't really that big of a deal when she meets up with Axl again.

A bunch of Goldlewis stuff.

A thread of his hitboxes. 

Spoiler

His drone absorbs Axl’s rensen geki.

Spoiler

His round winpose has him counting down the time it took to win. He gets unique lines based on how much time actually passed.

Spoiler

Combo off of overhead Behemoth Typhoon.

Spoiler

A trade against a 5 frame move.

Spoiler

What you can do after throw.

Spoiler

The ever viable Chipp TOD

Spoiler

And the best outro in the entire game.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Double post for new data mine stuff.

Spoiler

I saw that earlier on Reddit. It seems likely that Jack-O and Happy Chaos will be coming within this pass with both models and specific voice lines. I was honestly expect Baiken to return in the second pass but I wouldn’t be angry if she did come. Also wonder what this could mean for Jam and Asuka, particularly the latter since he has a different playable model that’s not used in story mode. Honestly he’s the second character I was hoping for in the first datamine.

Slayer in the game with a dash button could be insane if he’s relatively unchanged. I hope counterhit pilebunker just absolutely destroys Chipp.

8 minutes ago, BornWinner said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I saw that earlier on Reddit. It seems likely that Jack-O and Happy Chaos will be coming within this pass with both models and specific voice lines. I was honestly expect Baiken to return in the second pass but I wouldn’t be angry if she did come. Also wonder what this could mean for Jam and Asuka, particularly the latter since he has a different playable model that’s not used in story mode. Honestly he’s the second character I was hoping for in the first datamine.

Slayer in the game with a dash button could be insane if he’s relatively unchanged. I hope counterhit pilebunker just absolutely destroys Chipp.

Everyone's favorite, spoiler-offs!

Spoiler

Yeah this line up both matches what I thought was the original lineup ratio (that Cipher also mentioned I think) and also probably something a little more in line with the work efforts they are able to pull off. Like even if the returning characters are redone fairly significantly for this game there is probably some level of rigging or whatever that can translate over to the new game and save them some suffering on the back-end.

Theoretically there could also be story reasons for padding the characters out (i.e. punt That Man to next DLC cycle) but I don't know how much that really factors into things. Its probably more a manpower and hours concern at this point. With how monetizing these content tails works you really don't want to drag it out. Look at how long Capcom has been padding this latest SFV season (though that could also just be them trying to give SF6 as much time as absolutely possible in the oven, in addition to current game dev woes).

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Double post for new data mine stuff.

Spoiling the vid just for maximum care.

Hide contents

If true, neat! Slayer would be interesting in the context of this game. Always up for Pilebunkering people. 

Spoiler

This one might actually make me buy the season pass.  Happy Chaos is still in plus I'd definitely take Baiken/Slayer over Jam/That Man.  The former are among the most popular guilty gear characters and would definitely generate a lot of excitement. 

Spoiler

Baiken, Slayer? That's cool whatever sure. Honestly as long as Happy Chaos is still coming I can't say I really care who else makes it. Well, until Robo-Ky gets datamined.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:
  Hide contents

Y'all are passing notes like you're 11 year old girls in class

Also

Hide contents

Do you think I'm cute?

_Yes

_No

XoxOOXxx

-KTubbles 

Spoiler

Yes UwU

On 7/25/2021 at 8:58 PM, Pair of Rooks said:

I've been watching other Kys use charged fireball on oki... and getting absolutely nothing from it, regularly.  It doesn't stop anyone from downbacking, actually encourages it, and doesn't mask dust hardly at all.  You could delete that move too and put regular fireball on P. Or hold P if you want charged. 

Or do it like +R.

Slow fireball on S. Fast on HS. Charged on D.

Also, iirc, Ky is more about frame traps than high-low mix. If they get too comfortable holding down back, scoop their asses after making them block a chunk of chip damage and make them wake up into a big fireball. Rinse and repeat.

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I get that but risk reward on run up throw isn't great, plus it's something that literally everyone can do.  And that everyone can punish big with a simple neutral jump. I think a blocked dust overhead is literally safer, when spaced. 

Easy solution, do Run Up Airthrow as rad to them jumping your run up throw.

Deal the mental damage as your opponent is completly confused as of what you just did.

Is it just me or are floors kind of pointless for gauging skill? I know ranked mode is not concrete or anything but I've managed to get to 10th floor I either body people or have no chance there it seems to be a really large gap between people on the same floor.  

As someone who was kind of apprehensive about strive it's pretty fun. But I'll still have moments where I'm not really feeling it. Most of the fun is coming from playing Potemkin he's legit probably one of the most fun characters I've ever learned, but he also feels hopeless in certain mu. But who cares I'm just playing for fun.

2 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Is it just me or are floors kind of pointless for gauging skill? I know ranked mode is not concrete or anything but I've managed to get to 10th floor I either body people or have no chance there it seems to be a really large gap between people on the same floor.  

As someone who was kind of apprehensive about strive it's pretty fun. But I'll still have moments where I'm not really feeling it. Most of the fun is coming from playing Potemkin he's legit probably one of the most fun characters I've ever learned, but he also feels hopeless in certain mu. But who cares I'm just playing for fun.

Imho, it's just you. Pot is a scrubkiller and a polarized "tank" archetype so of course you're gonna get matches that are free one moment and rekt the next.  10th floor is also where you can't advance without completing a gauntlet, so there's a backlog of sorts of people who "should" have advanced by now but haven't.

I've found floors 7, 8 and 9 to be pretty consistent, excepting perhaps playing at odd times of the day, i.e. early morning.

I'm a fan of the floor system and how fast rank changes happen, though I can't seem to articulate why.  If I wasn't in a lobby visualizing other players at my skill level fighting each other, how's it different from any other ranked system?

Edited by Pair of Rooks

So, I found this video that's supposedly about someone messing with Strive's debug mode.

Obviously I have no idea if this is legit or a fake, but it shows the same names of some of the characters that had been speculated about earlier.

@MiðgarðsormI know you can read Japanese, so can you take a look at the video and check if the Japanese used in the debug screen looks legit or is some google translate shit?

These are the names of the characters that show up in that video:

Spoiler

Current Roster:

SOL (Sol)

KYK (Ky)

MAY (May)

AXL (Axl)

CHP (Chipp)

POT (Potemkin)

FAU (Faust)

MLL (Millia)

ZAT (Zato)

RAM (Ramlethal)

LEO (Leo)

NAG (Nagoriyuki)

GIO (Giovanna)

ANJ (Anji)

INO (I-No)

GLD (Goldlewis)

Rest of Season 1:

JKO (Jack-O')

SLY (Slayer)

COS (Chaos?)

VRN (Vernon, the US president from story mode)

Possible future seasons?:

BKN (Baiken)

ASK (Asuka/That Man)

GKN (???)

JAM (Jam)

VEN (Venom)

DZY (Dizzy)

SIN (Sin)

ELP (Elphelt)

RAG (???)

JHN (Johnny)