Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

12 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

Surprised he still thinks Sol is the best. I mostly agree with his list aside from maybe switching I-no and May maybe?

Think it's because Sol still has everything. They didn't nerf the stuff thats out of pocket. But now he gets to be out of pocket AND convert counterhits easier.

@Maxx what question did you have about strive?

1 minute ago, Sonero said:

Think it's because Sol still has everything. They didn't nerf the stuff thats out of pocket. But now he gets to be out of pocket AND convert counterhits easier.

@Maxx what question did you have about strive?

Have you run through mission mode? I'm relearning gg since I haven't played since xx.. So I'm on the jump cancel section and for some reason I'm stuff on it. I can't seem to get the timing on it. 

49 minutes ago, Maxx said:

So I'm on the jump cancel section and for some reason I'm stuff on it. I can't seem to get the timing on it. 

The jump cancel on the mayship, right?

Edit: They worded what they want you to do weird. You can jump cancel close S.  Make Close S hit, then just hit up right afterwards. You can even hit the button and hold up and you'll get the jump cancel.

For the jumping S. Make sure it hits Ky in the head. Jump on Ky, hit j.S, then when you see it, press up.

29 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The jump cancel on the mayship, right?

Edit: They worded what they want you to do weird. You can jump cancel close S.  Make Close S hit, then just hit up right afterwards. You can even hit the button and hold up and you'll get the jump cancel.

For the jumping S. Make sure it hits Ky in the head. Jump on Ky, hit j.S, then when you see it, press up.

OK I'll give it a try thanks 

27 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Hey Maxx welcome to the game that saved the FGC. 

Yeah I still can't get over how jumping to avoid a grab is named "fuzzy jump", let alone whatever they called striking the pre-jump frames.

More like welcome back. Used to love gg back in the xx days. Used to main slayer. But all that muscle memory is gone since it's such a different game now.. No air dashing 😭

38 minutes ago, Sonero said:

There's no what now?

My guy, there's a whole ass dedicated button for dashing. Ground AND air.

😆😆😆

It's very different than xx and normal anime air dashing.  Anime air dashing is more akin to mahvel shenanigans. Strive is very much more grounded compared to other gg games. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Anime air dashing is more akin to mahvel shenanigans. Strive is very much more grounded compared to other gg games. 

Its like the other GGs. How much time you spend in the air is character dependent. all the normals that cover the most space are still the grounded ones, most of your specials are grounded etc.  But then you see Chipp and Millia take to the skies and the game looks way different.

By all means though, if you wanna test your air dashes against Giovanna, don't let counterhit DP into 50% deter you from doing it. 👀

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Projectiles disappearing when the thrower is hot is probably my third most hated FG mechanic. 

So that's why Laura and Juri's projectiles don't go full screen in SFV.

But what about Dan? And why I-No and Ramlethal have fullscreen projectiles in Strive? Are they just average by Guilty Gear's standards?

This only raises further questions.

5 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Projectiles disappearing when the thrower is hit is probably my third most hated FG mechanic. 

Hard agree.  It's right up there with no-chip-kills, custom combos, and projectiles passing through each other on the regular.  

(I don't mind the occasional projectile that ignores others.  Every rule needs to be broken twice in the roster somewhere.  It makes matchups more interesting.) 

___

Anyone know the magic mechanics behind the purple combo counter?  I think it's related to the "press button" bar that appears when you get hit by Stroke The Big Tree but I'm in both Mission mode and Training mode and can't figure out anything. 

1 minute ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Hard agree.  It's right up there with no-chip-kills, custom combos, and projectiles passing through each other on the regular.  

(I don't mind the occasional projectile that ignores others.  Every rule needs to be broken twice in the roster somewhere.  It makes matchups more interesting.) 

___

Anyone know the magic mechanics behind the purple combo counter?  I think it's related to the "press button" bar that appears when you get hit by Stroke The Big Tree but I'm in both Mission mode and Training mode and can't figure out anything. 

https://dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGST/Damage

Scroll down to "invalid combos." Kind of a misnomer but the explanation is there

9 minutes ago, Gasarocky said:

https://dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGST/Damage

Scroll down to "invalid combos." Kind of a misnomer but the explanation is there

thanks that... almost explains it. 

ok.. the thing with the meter is "stagger", because "guard crush" is something different.   ...even though... i would've said something like "you are staggered during a guard crush" but this is the same game with "fuzzy jump" as an in-game term so idk wtf 

dustloop says you can escape stagger with a timed button, mission mode says the button is after the gauge disappears, but, when I do mission mode, that doesn't feel true to me.  I feel like I must press during the gauge. 

But I'm also not sensitive to timing-related stuff like this.  And mashing gives me better results in Mission than not... And in training mode H.Stroke (hit, with stagger gauge), 5S, 5H seems to give zero shits about what I do regardless.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
4 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Can I get some help to install mods? Brought Strive through the Steam sale and even on my lowest settings there is a little slowdown. Trying to  get the potato mod to work but it didn’t take.

The only mod I've used is the UI buttons display as PSX not XBox.  Instructions told me to dropped the 2 unzipped files into a new folder somewhere, ~mods, and that was it. Restarted the game. 

I assume Potato maybe a bit more involved?

EDIT the instructions aren't downloaded with the download. Read the website for the instructions

Edited by Pair of Rooks
36 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

thanks that... almost explains it. 

ok.. the thing with the meter is "stagger", because "guard crush" is something different.   ...even though... i would've said something like "you are staggered during a guard crush" but this is the same game with "fuzzy jump" as an in-game term so idk wtf 

dustloop says you can escape stagger with a timed button, mission mode says the button is after the gauge disappears, but, when I do mission mode, that doesn't feel true to me.  I feel like I must press during the gauge. 

But I'm also not sensitive to timing-related stuff like this.  And mashing gives me better results in Mission than not... And in training mode H.Stroke (hit, with stagger gauge), 5S, 5H seems to give zero shits about what I do regardless.

[QUOTE="shahenzan"]If you recover stagger in time and then block wrong
That's a blue beat
What probably happened was ino hit you with stroke, you recovered from stagger but were holding downback or otherwise not blocking high and got hit with the j.h [/QUOTE]

yeah, this is correct.  I had to use a turbo controller to get the mashout everytime to make blocking possible for me. But if I either press a button after the button that escapes stagger, or, I block wrong low/hi after escaping stagger, it's all blue beat. 

And i think it's not counterhit because i'm not actually recovered from stagger, I'm just in this weird in-between state where I'm allowed to block but literally nothing else

thx.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

The only mod I've used is the UI buttons display as PSX not XBox.  Instructions told me to dropped the 2 unzipped files into a new folder somewhere, ~mods, and that was it. Restarted the game. 

I assume Potato maybe a bit more involved?

EDIT the instructions aren't downloaded with the download. Read the website for the instructions

I found out where I went wrong. I forgot the little ~ that was supposed to go in front of mods. It works now! Now that I can finally play this game, I hope to play with you guys when I get the time.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s actually amazing how many people will disrespect your ability to reversal even after eating shit multiple times.

Playing a session against Axl, and a few times he combos me into a wall break. I have 50 tension. 

1st time: I buffer super and watch to see if he hits a button. He does (hit). 

2nd time: Same thing and he hits the same button (I think it’s Axl 2H). (Hit)

3rd time: Surely he won’t hit this same button again so I block to see what he does. Nope 2HS into other stuff again. 

4th: I’m mashing super before I even hit the ground because I’m 100% sure I’m going to hit. He hits 2HS again and eats super in the same situation for the 3rd time. 

Like bro…how do these people play fighting games like that? How many times do I need to blow up your obvious mistake before you adapt? Dude had me on the ropes a bunch of times and threw away multiple games making mistakes like that for no reason.

Just played 31 sets with a random HC (the first one that was any good) and this guy had me on the ropes hard at first. Eventually I took the lead in wins but it took me a while to figure out how to approach him.

I will say that I don’t like him not having any kind of reversal super. He can be dominanting most of the match but if you can get your offense going I feel like it’s easy to run a complete train on him if you catch him slipping one time, which seems overly harsh on a character that already requires high precision just to be functional.

Edited by Vhozite
12 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Just played 31 sets with a random HC (the first one that was any good) and this guy had me on the ropes hard at first. Eventually I took the lead in wins but it took me a while to figure out how to approach him.

I will say that I don’t like him not having any kind of reversal super. He can be dominanting most of the match but if you can get your offense going I feel like it’s easy to run a complete train on him if you catch him slipping one time, which seems overly harsh on a character that already requires high precision just to be functional.

That character deserves to be where he is. His lockdown, mixups and neutral are comparable to zato who is also a lot of work and just like zato he doesn't need a true reversal of any kind

The game being what it is he still has burst, fd and yrc and I wouldn't want him to have more

HC is also like I-No I'm that she only needs to make you block once to mount a comeback.

HC, when played really well like LostSoul levels of nonsense, is a menace to approach. I said with playing the character that dunks him the hardest at the moment. So if he had his squirrely stuff, plus clone, plus a reversal super...he's just be nutty. 

As it is I-No isn't all that fun to play and can reversal super you. Let's not do that again.

17 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What is this VIP badge/banner I see ppl with? 

In floor 10, if you win 5 games without losing 2, you get a chance to play in the Celestial floor. When you get to celestial you get to celestial challenge where you have to win 5 games without losing 2. If you do you get VIP and can enter Celestial whenever you want.

4 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I fought a jacko today named When's Baiken with the tagline of the exact number of days left til she drops. 😂

I actually fought jack-o for the first time earlier today and I legitimately had no idea what was happening because I was so unfamiliar. 

My one complaint about playing long ass sets in the park is I feel like I get lots of experience against some characters and practically none against others. Like I have more experience fighting Ramlethal than I do Leo, I-no, Anji, Millia, and Jack-O combined. The annoying thing is that on the rare occasion I do find a character I really need experience against I have trouble getting them to stick around because they often duck out after a couple wins.

10 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I actually fought jack-o for the first time earlier today and I legitimately had no idea what was happening because I was so unfamiliar. 

My one complaint about playing long ass sets in the park is I feel like I get lots of experience against some characters and practically none against others. Like I have more experience fighting Ramlethal than I do Leo, I-no, Anji, Millia, and Jack-O combined. The annoying thing is that on the rare occasion I do find a character I really need experience against I have trouble getting them to stick around because they often duck out after a couple wins.

Yeah fighting those technical hard to learn characters means you gotta be technical yourself or you get cooked, so I'm not even sure if the difficulty of learning them isn't without it's upside.

But as for uneven matchups experience well that's every game. Like, how much Hakan experience do any of us have? 😅

Oml this is the 2nd or 3rd decent I-no that ducks on me after less than 5 sets right when I’m getting the hang of the match up

Literally as I was typing this comment I fought number 4 and he dipped too what gives?

Edit: finally found a chip, but he seems to be a beginner 

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Sonero said:

Your on PC, right?

That's supposedly where all the killers are at.

I wouldn’t know I have no idea what the playerbase spread is like and I don’t follow high level GG. I just want a good spread of MU so I’m not literally losing the the select screen to half the cast. Might have to just seek out people on steam or discord or something.

Unrelated, but Garuda impact is stupid as hell and I will not hear otherwise. Double digit active frames, minimum +19 on block, guard break, insane chip, good damage, kara cancelable because 6K, mile long disjoint hitbox, and even gives him combos into buster. The only weakness of this move is it’s long startup, which can be mitigated by using it on oki any. Literally the best way for a lot of characters to deal with it is to backdash and let it hit you so you escape the blender. I think guard break is a dumb mechanic but Garuda impact is the only move where it feels oppressive. I feel like Pot wouldn’t be good without this attack, but I really hate how much this one move does for him it’s so much better than anything else he has sans 6k.

i just hate the people that don't ready up. 

like, if you got shit to do, gtfo until you're free. Don't waste everyone's time. 

Hard enough getting games in the morning when there's only 4 people in tower and the park is BYOFriend. 

I hit east coast servers today just to get games... but the games were shit because distance. 

thank you for saving me Vhozite and GGs.  I may stick with Ram yet. 

43 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

thank you for saving me Vhozite and GGs.  I may stick with Ram yet. 

Maybe it’s because Ram is just overall better than Ky, but I like you playing Ram more than him. You like to hit buttons and go airborne a lot and I feel like Ram is better in that area. Not that Ky is bad just that Ram’s buttons are that good. 

Main you need to learn is her shooting swords corner offense since that’s where she gets really oppressive. Good luck and ggs

Also playing Millia again today and I stand by my assessment that the character is extremely linear. Character would be much more engaging if she could do literally anything of value without a knockdown into disc 

16 hours ago, Vhozite said:

You know I never really agreed with the “damage is too high” crowd, but honestly after watching that last clip I’d have to agree. TOD (at full risc I know) after one mistake against fucking Axl is a bit much. 

Have you seen what happens at full risc in older GGs? Hell have you seen what happens with little risc in older GGs?

The really big difference is that worthwhile combos are easier to do for most people. In this game you only blow up to pieces in 3 ways: high risc, counterhit or super in the corner. If you don't get hit in any of those ways, odds are your taking pretty standard damage.  There's a few characters who break these rules, but those are situational at times i.e. Ram can't do high damage outside of the corner, Nago needs to have low blood meter to spend money on specials etc. You have Goldlewis doing meme damage but he also needs a certain type of hit to really erase the hell out of you.

Even on the counter hit meme damage, its also gotta be the right counter hit too. Maybe they could adjust the risc gain a bit so its less and some of the scaling numbers but meh, people just want longer combos like you'd do in Xrd. Where Chipp and Millia would OTG you with jab 30 times to add extra damage to combos.