Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

Yeah we could definitely give it a go. East Coast US so about the best you can hope for with a connection. 

Weekends are vastly more open. During the week I'm trying to set aside time from around 4pm EST to 5ish depending on the day and circumstances to play. Just to stay consistent. Upside is that +R is a really fast game in every aspect so even in a smaller time window its possible to play a lot.

Also if you didn't check it out, the new lobby set up they beta'd this weekend was pretty rad. I am a huge fan of how Player Quick Match plays with that set up. Basically just non-stop +R matches until you leave the room (though I was maybe on at an ideal time).

4pm EST is 8pm GMT, which is usually the time I go on.  I'm about tonight, I'll setup a room (my steam name is Lauhging Man as well).  Just drop in if you're going to be about, I'll leave off the password and set the room size to 6.

I had a quick blast on the beta last night, yeah they're really heading in the right direction.  It was to nice be able to set your character and BGM from the start, than have to go through that everytime.

I will say something that I have found fairly refreshing is the variety of skill levels out there.

Playing such an established game I sort of expected it to be nothing but killers - and I definitely run into way more people who have a lot more experience than me than not - however there is a decent spread. 

Guess that is a nod to how much the updates they are putting in are paying off. And potentially what the general thirst level looks like for Strive. 

Looks like there has been a small up tick in numbers, also there was a sizeable boost after the first beta...

https://steamcharts.com/app/348550

Oh, I found this really useful vid for getting started in +R:

What are your thoughts on not having ranked in Strive?  I'm personnally for it, a) It stops the player base being spilt. b) It should go someway to stopping people from reaching a lowish rank and then only chosing casuals. c) Ultimately, ranked is just an e-di@k contest, which you don't win anything for.  Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of caring about my rank at times, but you're any as good as your next match.

In DBFZ and Tekken, I'll chose to go on ranked because that's the best chance of being matched with someone of a similar skill level.  Yes, you have to fight better players than youself to improve but, if you're just being stomped on, you don't learn anything or enjoy it.  Having said that, I get better matches in player matches than ranked in +R.

3 hours ago, Laughingman said:

Looks like there has been a small up tick in numbers, also there was a sizeable boost after the first beta...

https://steamcharts.com/app/348550

Oh, I found this really useful vid for getting started in +R:

What are your thoughts on not having ranked in Strive?  I'm personnally for it, a) It stops the player base being spilt. b) It should go someway to stopping people from reaching a lowish rank and then only chosing casuals. c) Ultimately, ranked is just an e-di@k contest, which you don't win anything for.  Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of caring about my rank at times, but you're any as good as your next match.

In DBFZ and Tekken, I'll chose to go on ranked because that's the best chance of being matched with someone of a similar skill level.  Yes, you have to fight better players than youself to improve but, if you're just being stomped on, you don't learn anything or enjoy it.  Having said that, I get better matches in player matches than ranked in +R.

I actually like the whole tower stuff they got going on. Ranked is nice in the sense of a "Carrot on a stick" goal. It's nice to have something tangible to chase. Not to mention being able to play a lot of different people with all kinds of styles and strategies.

On the other hand, when it comes to truly learning a game, especially matchup-wise, quality, long sets against someone are still extremely important and fun.

Balance is key.

16 hours ago, Laughingman said:

What are your thoughts on not having ranked in Strive?

I really like what they are trying. The classic A->B->C ranked mode is fine but it is both worth experimenting with that format and anecdotally I've always heard that the ranked modes in airdashers thin out really quickly so it makes sense for them to move away from it.

What they've come up with seems to split the difference well. There is still a competitive and ranked aspect to it with the different floor levels and the ultimate level for big dick Gs, but it also feels player lobby-ish in a way that also has a bit of that "drop in, find an opponent, play" way. Hopefully that keeps people more engaged that would otherwise transition to player lobbies (or in this case the park) and thin out traditional ranked. If you keep the floors filled out and give the skilled players reasons to stay engaged that can only help make the overall player base stronger, longer right? I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Also as with everything in this game, this is going to be v1. It will be really interesting to see is how things may shape themselves over the years. 

@LaughingmanBarring shenanigans I'll be on after 4:30ish EST (have a quick errand to run after work). I should be good for an hour or so, assuming the connection holds up.

14 hours ago, Laughingman said:

GGs too, some good close sets.  Your pressure in the corner was good, tested my defence.  Let us know when you're up for more.

Yeah we had a real good back and forth going. 

I appreciate the compliment but I think my pressure still sucks haha. I'm still really getting the feeling of what +R pressure feels like. Some tumblers are ticking into place but I still have a long way to go especially with someone like HoS who needs to bulldog. You did a great job of dancing all around and forcing me to chase, then hitting me with a guitar. 

With the Strive beta going live today I do want to dip into that for a bit while its live (from this evening until Sunday morning, barring any hiccups/extensions). After that though I'm back on +R full time. Depending on how Sunday goes I may be around sometime then for games. 

It’s probably the thing I’m most excited for right now. If they’re good, that would be amazing. If they’re not, it would be nice to know what they are saying in the middle of matches before turning it back to the Japanese voices.

More VAs have revealed their roles since my last post.

Spoiler

Faust’s, Chipp’s, and Zato’s voices return from Xrd’s dub which is fine by me. 

17 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

If they’re not, it would be nice to know what they are saying in the middle of matches before turning it back to the Japanese voices.

Exactly, that's definitely the best thing, the quote lists tend to take a while...

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

I bought Strive for PC, so I haven't touched the game yet.  But one thing that I have noticed is that graphics-wise it's really hard to follow the action for this game watching on cellphone via Twitch.

Twitch on phone is usually trash for me in general, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Still odd though...

Good to hear you got it on PC tho. 

Played for an hour or so of the Beta. Quick hits:

• Going from +R to this gave me whiplash. It actually reinforces how much I appreciate the work they are doing to make +R playable online because the two games are so wildly different. I already miss gatling off of P/K. 😞
  • Maybe placebo but Ram's big buttons definitely feel like they have more recovery. I know I was just being a degenerate with her last time out but this go-round if you whiff S/H it feels bad especially if you whiffed because the opponent is going high. Maybe I just needed to hammer on 6P more after but I think its probably better for her to have that kind of balance. Being able to poke with f.S, H still feels mean when you can keep someone there.
  • Also can't totally tell if its the difference between the last beta or +R and this making me feel this way but I absolutely felt her jump was more shallow. Forward airdash also felt shorter though not horrible. Back airdash is hilariously short but I get it. For how this game plays I don't think that is necessarily bad either. There was still a lot of air movement in the matches I played, you just can't airdash in from 3/4 or full screen and pressure/poke. 
  • 6P felt good. I don't know what the fuck to get off of it but it was very useful as an AA and also as a poke periodically. 
  • Ram felt dialed back from before overall - I wasn't able to faceroll my way into corner/wallbreak combos - but still pretty good. The Anji matchup seems like it could really suck tho. I'd need to play that one a bunch to get a handle on it.
  • Broadly, the connections felt really solid. I pressure tested by playing people in the Japan lobby (I'm EC USA so about as bad as you can get) and one match up was surprisingly good (Anji player, was nice enough to run 3 or so sets) while another was pretty rollback-y though nowhere near like SFV levels (a Millia player which made her air mix ups even more fun). Once I switched to the US East lobby, everything ran smooth as can be.
  • The bad news: the lobby is still glitchy. Periodically I'd fail to connect to an opponent and then I'd either be unable to try to connect to anyone else at all (with no indicator that something was wrong, I just couldn't ready up ever) or I'd have a "Connecting" message hanging on the side et infinitum. Fixable by hopping out of the lobby and then back in but that is the kind of stuff they need to iron out (and I'm sure they'll at least try, that is what these kinds of betas are there to identify).
  • The lobby itself is better thanks to the battle stations. It is still not nearly as fast as, say, the beta +R player lobby where you're just picking names off a list and *boom* match. But it was way better than the last version where you're teleporting all over the place and hoping to stick to someone else to fight. 
  • Being able to rematch is a godsend. You're still capped at I think 3 total but the rematches themselves are instant (yay) though you do have to mash a bit after the fight to get there because menus (boo). Overall though there was definitely less sitting around, trying to get into matches than the last time. Not gonna help you if people bail on the rematch or anything (and auto-DCing when someone moves a floor is sort of irritating though I'd imagine that will smooth out over time) but its way the hell better than the last implementation.
  • Protip: you have to turn English voices on in the options menu. JP by default. Also the subtitles are all over the place. The VAs that I heard were fine enough. I don't remember them after the matches which is probably a good sign that they weren't incongruous or irritating. 

To address two specific things I've seen elsewhere:

@DayaanSaw in the SFV thread that your friends had some connection issues? The lobby is definitely funky but once I got into matches they performed about as well as I expected. Anyone in the same region was rock solid, the JP lobby had rollbacks in varying degrees but the good connections were surprisingly playable. That's an hour of matches so take from that what you will.

@MattatsuDo not worry about Millia. I managed to steal a win from one then she tapdanced on top of my head for like 3 games straight. She still has air mobility out the ass.

6 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Played for an hour or so of the Beta. Quick hits:

• Going from +R to this gave me whiplash. It actually reinforces how much I appreciate the work they are doing to make +R playable online because the two games are so wildly different. I already miss gatling off of P/K. 😞
  • Maybe placebo but Ram's big buttons definitely feel like they have more recovery. I know I was just being a degenerate with her last time out but this go-round if you whiff S/H it feels bad especially if you whiffed because the opponent is going high. Maybe I just needed to hammer on 6P more after but I think its probably better for her to have that kind of balance. Being able to poke with f.S, H still feels mean when you can keep someone there.
  • Also can't totally tell if its the difference between the last beta or +R and this making me feel this way but I absolutely felt her jump was more shallow. Forward airdash also felt shorter though not horrible. Back airdash is hilariously short but I get it. For how this game plays I don't think that is necessarily bad either. There was still a lot of air movement in the matches I played, you just can't airdash in from 3/4 or full screen and pressure/poke. 
  • 6P felt good. I don't know what the fuck to get off of it but it was very useful as an AA and also as a poke periodically. 
  • Ram felt dialed back from before overall - I wasn't able to faceroll my way into corner/wallbreak combos - but still pretty good. The Anji matchup seems like it could really suck tho. I'd need to play that one a bunch to get a handle on it.
  • Broadly, the connections felt really solid. I pressure tested by playing people in the Japan lobby (I'm EC USA so about as bad as you can get) and one match up was surprisingly good (Anji player, was nice enough to run 3 or so sets) while another was pretty rollback-y though nowhere near like SFV levels (a Millia player which made her air mix ups even more fun). Once I switched to the US East lobby, everything ran smooth as can be.
  • The bad news: the lobby is still glitchy. Periodically I'd fail to connect to an opponent and then I'd either be unable to try to connect to anyone else at all (with no indicator that something was wrong, I just couldn't ready up ever) or I'd have a "Connecting" message hanging on the side et infinitum. Fixable by hopping out of the lobby and then back in but that is the kind of stuff they need to iron out (and I'm sure they'll at least try, that is what these kinds of betas are there to identify).
  • The lobby itself is better thanks to the battle stations. It is still not nearly as fast as, say, the beta +R player lobby where you're just picking names off a list and *boom* match. But it was way better than the last version where you're teleporting all over the place and hoping to stick to someone else to fight. 
  • Being able to rematch is a godsend. You're still capped at I think 3 total but the rematches themselves are instant (yay) though you do have to mash a bit after the fight to get there because menus (boo). Overall though there was definitely less sitting around, trying to get into matches than the last time. Not gonna help you if people bail on the rematch or anything (and auto-DCing when someone moves a floor is sort of irritating though I'd imagine that will smooth out over time) but its way the hell better than the last implementation.
  • Protip: you have to turn English voices on in the options menu. JP by default. Also the subtitles are all over the place. The VAs that I heard were fine enough. I don't remember them after the matches which is probably a good sign that they weren't incongruous or irritating. 

To address two specific things I've seen elsewhere:

@DayaanSaw in the SFV thread that your friends had some connection issues? The lobby is definitely funky but once I got into matches they performed about as well as I expected. Anyone in the same region was rock solid, the JP lobby had rollbacks in varying degrees but the good connections were surprisingly playable. That's an hour of matches so take from that what you will.

@MattatsuDo not worry about Millia. I managed to steal a win from one then she tapdanced on top of my head for like 3 games straight. She still has air mobility out the ass.

Nice post. Will relay the information.

I am really busy tomorrow but I need to find time to play this beta again.

I scrolled through Twitter and Reddit and everyone is complaining about movement and how it feels like you’re moving through tar. There are some things about the game I think could be improved (movement and combo related), but those complaints seem like massive exaggerations and I’m starting to be influenced by them to think this beta is trash when I fucking love this game... hopefully I can do a deeper dive tomorrow and form/solidify my own opinion.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:32 PM, GetTheTables said:

Yeah we had a real good back and forth going. 

I appreciate the compliment but I think my pressure still sucks haha. I'm still really getting the feeling of what +R pressure feels like. Some tumblers are ticking into place but I still have a long way to go especially with someone like HoS who needs to bulldog. You did a great job of dancing all around and forcing me to chase, then hitting me with a guitar. 

With the Strive beta going live today I do want to dip into that for a bit while its live (from this evening until Sunday morning, barring any hiccups/extensions). After that though I'm back on +R full time. Depending on how Sunday goes I may be around sometime then for games. 

Don't put yourself down too much, I'm the British one here.  You kept pushing me to the corner and mixing up your options, so you were making it hard for me to read you and know when to use 6P to get out of pressure.  Thanks, after player DBFZ for a while, you have to develop a good sense of movment and being able to escape the corner.  I need to work on my pressure and mix-ups though.  I'm still smashing my plam on the buttons at the minute to get combs out, but some are starting full in to place.  I also need to learn FRC combos in order increase I-No's damage output.

No worries for not being around for more games, at the end of the day, I'm just a ramdon bloke off the internet.  Plus, if I had access to the beta, I would be doing the same.  I've been watching plenty of streams and youtube vids of Stive so I don't feel totally left out.  I should be about on Sunday, but I'm having my first covid jab today, so I might feel pretty crap tomorrow.  I'll let you know.

I-No is looking pretty similar to her Xrd version in beta, so I'm hoping it's not going to be a huge jump from +R to Srive.

I made a post that went through a few edits where I have some nitpicks about the game. I still love it, but there some things that I am a bit worried about. I figured I’d spoiler it to hide it from those that may want to keep things positive

Spoiler

I’m just labbing some things this morning quickly with various characters, and I see why people are complaining about air dashes. Millia’s felt fine to me, but air dashes with some other characters feel really slow. It does seem like IADs have less start-up than mid-air ones, but the mid-air ones on some characters feel pretty sluggish. The dash macro button does help with this for mid-air dashes, but it still feels a bit off on some characters. I’m fine, Millia’s fine, but I can see why some people aren’t happy.

also, 2H is a fairly standard launcher button (which is normal) but not one character has one that is jump-cancellable. Yes, you can RC it, but you can RC any stray hit and get an air combo off it. A launcher should be jump-cancellable without meter imo. I think simply adding that for the ~ 2/3rds of characters with 2H launchers would open up the combo routes (and game) a bit.

i do really like this game though. It’s fun and gorgeous, and I really think it’s a few tweaks away from being one of my favourite new FGs in a long time...

oh, also, I am also a bit concerned that a lot of characters seemed to get some sort of nerf, and I don’t see (or heard of) many buffs. I hope that’s not indicative of their patching style.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I made a post that went through a few edits where I have some nitpicks about the game. I still love it, but there some things that I am a bit worried about, or would like to see changed. I figured I’d spoiler it to hide it from those that may want to keep things positive

Reveal hidden contents

I’m just labbing some things this morning quickly with various characters, and I see why people are complaining about air dashes. Millia’s felt fine to me, but air dashes with some other characters are super slow. Some worst than others. It does seem like IADs have less start-up than mid-air ones, but the mid-air ones on some characters feel really bad.

also, 2H is a fairly standard launcher button (which is normal) but not one character has one that is jump-cancellable... I think that’s a bad decision tbh. Yes, you can RC it, but you can RC any stray hit and get an air combo off it. A launcher should be jump-cancellable without meter imo. I think simply adding that for the 2/3rds of characters with 2H launchers would open up the combo routes (and game) a bit.

edit: I’m also not a fan of being able to air-block all attacks (such as grounded 6Ps). I think like in Rev2, you should at least need to use meter (FD) to do it, which also causes good push-back. If you know someone is going to jump-in and block, you can air grab them, but it seems like you can’t air throw until you reach the height of your jump and after... This is likely because you throw with 6D and if you wanted to do 9D (for the forward jump attack) it may be hard to get that attack without the throw coming out, so there’s some time before the throw is allowed, which means you really have to have a good read on the opponent, you may even have to jump before they do lol

i do really like this game though. It’s fun and gorgeous, and I really think it’s a few tweaks away from being one of my favourite new FGs in a long time...

oh, also, I am also a bit concerned that a lot of characters seemed to get some sort of nerf, and I don’t see (or heard of) many buffs. I hope that’s not indicative of their patching style.

Yeah I'm with you on some of that. I feel like the air mobility is a step too far, especially since the 6P changes make it a good enough AA option that I'm way more fine with people trying to YOLO at me from full screen. The shallow jumps and dashes are actually fucking me up. Its this weird situation where the longer range your air normals are, the better off you probably are now because you can maybe poke around AA attempts.

Biggest thing to bear in mind is that this is a beta and if it is anything like the last one they will be taking player feedback. The point of a beta is to try shit out. Players said air approaches were too good last time? Okay how far can we dial that back? Is it too far? Not far enough? Then you move the needle again. Participating in legit betas is hard as a player for that reason: you're a lab rat testing things out so sometimes you gotta deal with things that feel really good (as a Ram player I was super happy with how she was last beta 🙃)  but aren't going to stick around, or things that feel really bad but are part of working out where the mid-ground is.

I said it before but I'll say it again: Strive is extremely different from previous GGs. And it is clearly that way by design. Some of this stuff is probably not going to change. I don't know if we're going to see consistent launchers in this game for instance (but hey if they do, great.) The combo routes are definitely more restrictive but the damage is tuned way higher to give you the same net effect. For lack of a better term this game definitely feels more Street Fighter-y in that it is more about finding/making those hits happen than it is actually executing the damage once you get the hit. I think the reason they are still turning so many knobs is that the flow of this game is so very different from +R and Xrd that they are trying to figure out how this style of Gear has to operate. 

Also two things specific to your situation just so you don't drive yourself crazy over this beta:

1) All that matters about a game is if you net enjoy playing it. Every game has its niggling issues, FGs especially. When you play Strive, do you have fun? When you stop, do you continue to think about it/want to play it again? That's all that matters. As the Queen song I am listening to right now says: "Play the game, play the game, play the game." 🙂

2) We are playing a version of the game that we will barely remember in 3 years. Don't put too much stock into how it is now. You'll have people in Strive Season 3 complaining about Quad Vector RC cancelled combos and pining for the good 'ol beta days before they fucked the game up.

Also @Laughingmanall you need to know about I-No in Strive (credit to Azelhart on the Susmob discord for posting this for me to find):

13 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Strive is extremely different from previous GGs. And it is clearly that way by design. Some of this stuff is probably not going to change. I don't know if we're going to see consistent launchers in this game for instance (but hey if they do, great.) The combo routes are definitely more restrictive but the damage is tuned way higher to give you the same net effect.

Yeah, you’re definitely right about it being different by design, and the damage being tailored to still have quick matches... I guess my issue with 2H Launchers is kinda like, well, what’s the point of them? I’m sure a lot of characters can follow-up with something (Millia can follow-up with 214P), but my favourite part about anime/MVC type games are the air combos. It just seems weird to have a fairly consistent launcher button that cannot be cancelled into a jump... Maybe it’s just the nostalgia of other games (MVC2, MVCI, GG Rev2, etc) but yeah, it just feels weird not to have it when the opponent does get launched (by most of the cast anyway).

and yeah, you’re right. I know the game will be different and this is likely a “test the waters” period.

and the game is definitely fun. I love it. I think the 2H launcher is my only “why can’t this be like how it used to be” issue, and I am concerned about how they will balance the game over time. I just hope they prioritize buffs over nerfs.

Also (and you didn’t mention it), but I did edit my comment about air-blocking 6Ps. That was a concern because I was worried Dayaan was going to 3S jump-in parry my AAs again, but I labbed it out and there’s enough push-back on block (with the grounded character being plus enough) that it’s not a concern, so I edited that out.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Does anyone want to play Strive?

I *might* be around later tonight, like 9pm EST but I have some other stuff to take care of today so odds are low unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

snip

Yeah I saw some scuttlebutt from I think even the loctest that the block recovery in AA situations was more in favor of the AA'er which is how it should be.

:tldr: warning, I've had a lot of time to think today.

Spoiler

Back to the 2H situation for a second: its a little different in GG because I don't know that you usually get launch situations per se but maybe that is +R. Like with CH states or RCs you can get floats that let you work some magic, which is actually closer to Strive than I gave it credit for now that I think about it. In Strive it feels like the 2H's I've seen are either combo filler or hard AA callouts and like with everything else you can possibly RC to get something juicier. But given how there is less emphasis on air combos in this game, that may be something that varies a lot by character. Its less "this hit and floats, JC into *boom*"  and something closer to a SFV AA crush counter or something like that (though with a lot more juggle potential).

As far as balance goes, I'm gonna be real: every time I've seen an ASW game the balance is always whacked to fuck for awhile. Especially in the launch version of the game. But things do usually smooth out over time. Sometimes the balancing does get weird too, though I'm mostly speaking from watching patch breakdowns than having actually kept up with any of the games. You're definitely gonna have some characters come out like Belial and Rev Johnny (I still stand by that whenever they add Johnny to this game he is going to be god-beast) but I think that is also just the FG character dance. At least for me I'd rather they come out strong and dial back then release mediocre/bad and have to tune up; that in my experience (not just with FGs but in general) leads to either them becoming too dialed in the other way (then they get nerfed and everyone is double pissed) or everyone has to sit through cycles of tepid balance updates because the devs don't want to do the former. 

Couple of quick hits from the other day:

You mentioned bursts. One thing that you see a lot of at our level of play is that because no one knows consistent combos or pressure really, there isn't a great time to burst before the round is about to end anyways. Hence why we'd often be doing that.

Also since neither of us really have RCs down in Strive (though we definitely started to use them more as the games went on) you also see a lot of matches at our level end with people sitting on tons of meter and the rounds boil down to a Mexican standoff on who is going to shoot first with an OD. Also protip: I think everyone in Strive has a frame 1 invincible OD so be careful pressuring towards the end of rounds if people are sitting on it. Especially at lower levels you're more likely to see people throwing out hail mary/reversal supers (see: all of my games).

FD brake. It saved my life a couple of times in our games. Its something that seems really easy to do, and it is mechanically, but advancing that way actually takes some practice to work into reflex. I'm still working on that.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

warning, I've had a lot of time to think today.

Interesting about your 2H comment. I’m going to have to dip my toes back in Rev2 a bit. I know for sure Millia’s 2H launches and is jump-cancellable. It’s the beginning of my air combo BNB. I have spent a lot of time labbing that hard ass combo lol. Granted, I have labbed more Millia in Rev2 than anyone else and I truly don’t know if she’s unique in that way or if that’s common. I was just assuming it was common because she could do it and it’s an air-dashy kinda game lol.

that’s good to know about ASW patching. I got into Rev2 after the Rev2 update and haven’t played enough of their games to care. I have seen comments on Twitter about how GBVS is a lot tamer than it was at launch, so seeing/hearing of a lot of nerfs between the first beta to this had me worried.

And I appreciate your point about ODs at the end of rounds. That’s something I need to be more weary of... the funny thing is half the time I was running in to mash my invincible OD and hope to catch you but it turns out I am terribly inaccurate when mashing HCB,F inputs on hitbox 🤣

I’m going to work on my FD brakes as well. I forgot about that. It would help me out a lot.. As you are well aware, I like to run in a lot. It would be nice to not always run in full-speed and do an attack though.

anyways, Tables or @BornWinner I will be around in a bit if either of you (or both) are available. I will likely be on in 45 mins to an hour

edit: vastly overestimated how long it would take to put the dishes away and make the guest room bed... booting up the game now but would like to lab a bit

Edited by Mattatsu