Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

12 hours ago, HD-Man said:

More and more bad news for Netflix. Constantly increasing prices, trying to kill password sharing and whatnot. They lost hella subscribers this month, and expect many more l. Can't say I feel sorry, although I did enjoy their constant. 

I honestly wonder if streaming can be profitable for Netflix. They have never been profitable, even when they had a monopoly. Now everyone has gotten into the game and I wonder if their business model is feasible. They've had to spend more and more money on original content to replace the license content their constantly losing. With Disney Plus and HBO Max, those services have a shit ton of content that their providers already own to fill out their offerings. Plus the movies that they were making anyway get brought over providing a steady stream of new content. 

Edit: @SonichumanGiven the recent success of his movies, I'd think Netflix would be keen to keep Sonic Prime going. Moves like this make companies risk averse. Sonic would look like a sure thing IMO.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
20 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Edit: @SonichumanGiven the recent success of his movies, I'd think Netflix would be keen to keep Sonic Prime going. Moves like this make companies risk averse. Sonic would look like a sure thing IMO.

I mean one would hope anyway.  I also want my season 2 of Arcane and the next season of Castlevania so I need them get their shit together and keep it there lol.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I honestly wonder if streaming can be profitable for Netflix. They have never been profitable, even when they had a monopoly. Now everyone has gotten into the game and I wonder if their business model is feasible. They've had to spend more and more money on original content to replace the license content their constantly losing. With Disney Plus and HBO Max, those services have a shit ton of content that their providers already own to fill out their offerings. Plus the movies that they were making anyway get brought over providing a steady stream of new content. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and/or some other larger media companies are just watching and waiting on Netflix to drop in a position where they could swoop it up for a favorable price. The name and penetration in the world Market make it something that most companies would love to have in their pocket even if it is losing some shine right now.

13 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and/or some other larger media companies are just watching and waiting on Netflix to drop in a position where they could swoop it up for a favorable price. The name and penetration in the world Market make it something that most companies would love to have in their pocket even if it is losing some shine right now.

That's an insightful thought. I hadn't considered that angle. You're right on the money though. It would be better for one of these smaller services with a big corporate backer to snag Netflix if the values drops. They could just roll their existing service along with it's content into Netflix. They'd instantly have the market penetration they are looking for. If I'm not mistaken, Comcast owns NBC/Universal. If i were them I'd be circling Neftlix like a vulture because Peacock ain't it. Everyone I know with Peacock is basically Comcast customer that has it included in their existing cable service.

Castlevania Netflix - 7.5/10

Masters of the Universe : Revelation - 6/10

I never watched the old He-man show from 1983  , or ant of the other cartoons. 

I rented the 1987 Dolph Lundgren  film, but it didnt really register with me 35 years ago.

I know nothing about He-man and She-ra.

Pros: 

Art/animation/designs

Some actual fighting/mild gore

Voice Acting - for the most part

Evil-Lyn character. she got some development and she was probably more likeable than Teela herself.

Cons

The Teela character is mediocre. She is upset about Adam hiding his identity for too long. Then, she comes off as whiny in some other parts.

I dont think Sarah Michelle Gellar is right for the Teela character. She sounds 15 yrs even though the actress is older.

I can understand their reasoning for picking "Buffy" , but to my knowledge shes never really done much voice acting, so all I can hear is Buffy.

Also, Hamill is doing Joker, but that doesnt bother me to the same extent.  Kevin Conroy is miscast as that aquatic villain too.

Very little action from He-man due to the plot. He's dead, then comes back as "hulk" and  only really fights in the last 1-2 episodes.

Its weird that Teela and Andra are seemingly close  in the first half but at the end, they seem to be playing towards Adam and Teela being infatuated.

Andra is the new Man at Arms and Teela is like see ya ho". Course correction to please fans or some other reasoning?

There are some emotional moments that dont really feel earned- Orko and some moments with Duncan and Teela.

28 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Castlevania Netflix - 7.5/10

Masters of the Universe : Revelation - 6/10

I never watched the old He-man show from 1983  , or ant of the other cartoons. 

I rented the 1987 Dolph Lundgren  film, but it didnt really register with me 35 years ago.

I know nothing about He-man and She-ra.

Pros: 

Art/animation/designs

Some actual fighting/mild gore

Voice Acting - for the most part

Evil-Lyn character. she got some development and she was probably more likeable than Teela herself.

Cons

The Teela character is mediocre. She is upset about Adam hiding his identity for too long. Then, she comes off as whiny in some other parts.

I dont think Sarah Michelle Gellar is right for the Teela character. She sounds 15 yrs even though the actress is older.

I can understand their reasoning for picking "Buffy" , but to my knowledge shes never really done much voice acting, so all I can hear is Buffy.

Also, Hamill is doing Joker, but that doesnt bother me to the same extent.  Kevin Conroy is miscast as that aquatic villain too.

Very little action from He-man due to the plot. He's dead, then comes back as "hulk" and  only really fights in the last 1-2 episodes.

Its weird that Teela and Andra are seemingly close  in the first half but at the end, they seem to be playing towards Adam and Teela being infatuated.

Andra is the new Man at Arms and Teela is like see ya ho". Course correction to please fans or some other reasoning?

There are some emotional moments that dont really feel earned- Orko and some moments with Duncan and Teela.

They were teasing the lgbtq crowd for teela and andra... Thought that was obvious. Teela gave bisexual vibes the whole series and so played into she could go either way. 

Alot of Netflix toons play with this concept from one of the characters. 

6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

New Chip and Dale trailer.. 

May 20 -Disney Plus  

I had to relook at the 1st trailer after looking at this and then look through the 2nd trailer again.  Looks like they definitely touched up the 3D models that look 2D in this trailer cause there was definitely something off in the first one but his looks much better.  Think it's lighting and animation overall cause chip actually looks like he fits the scene better in the 2nd trailer despite being cel shaded.    Really interesting to see how far they've come with this since Paperman and I think this is them trying this out on a bigger scale after "Far From the Tree" so I hope they continue to refine this cause I'm curious to see how far they take it.

I just finished Arcane (2021) on Netflix. I do t know anything about League of Legends. 

Pros: 

The art/ animation looks like a mix of 2d and 3d. Very distinctive. 

The voice acting and music is on point. 

The design and steampunk elements are cool. 

Despite each episode being 40 minutes, the story didn't drag for me. I liked the mostly serious and dramatic tone.

Cons  

some characters could be fleshed out more. 

Overall: 8.5/10 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Blame all the sexy Velma fanart in recent years.

THE PEOPLE WANT VELMA!

Won't lie or hide it, still think she is cute and appreciate "interpretation" of her attractiveness. Besides they have kind of did almost everything with the characters together at this point including younger reboots.

17 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

I picked up the entire 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series on DVD

I bought the entire series on iTunes for $10 years ago but haven’t got around to watching through it again.

that doesn’t mean I haven’t tried though. I actually tried rewatching this about 6 months ago. I couldn’t even get through the first episode. It did not age even remotely well. I couldn’t handle how cringe it was. 😂

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

From what I’ve read, it’s supposed to be an origin story for Velma so we probably won’t be seeing much of the other Mystery Inc. crew. Other than that and the fact they made Velma be East Asian in this show, nothing else is known about the show.

OK glad I wasn't going crazy when I was looking at this I was like....Did Velma sit in the sun a little too long?   Velma being turned East Asian is weird to me...it would have been weird to me if they had race swapped any of the characters really.  It's not that hard to just make up a new character that's a different race and include them in future mysteries but ok.

4 hours ago, iStu X said:

I bought the entire series on iTunes for $10 years ago but haven’t got around to watching through it again.

that doesn’t mean I haven’t tried though. I actually tried rewatching this about 6 months ago. I couldn’t even get through the first episode. It did not age even remotely well. I couldn’t handle how cringe it was. 😂

I learned a lot about the TMNT since the movies, later shows and such. I know full well what I'm getting into with '87 TMNT. I need to finish 2012 TMNT and binge 2003 TMNT sometime. 

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

There seems to be some unspoken rule that if you’re going to change the race of any Scooby Doo character, it’s Velma. Two made-for-TV movies had Velma played by a Japanese actress and the animated movie, Scoob!, changed her into a Latina. Speaking of…

This sure won’t backfire or anything.

That shit right fucking there is exactly why I don't like Mindy Kaling. 

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Wow.

Is like they are no longer trying to hide that they are replacing redheads/gingers with versions of them with a darker skin tone 🤣

Come on now, Velma had the brown hair, the red head was/is Daphne. Who may or may not be the naked gal in the picture.

I'm watching Chip N Dale right now and this movie really is like Roger Rabbit but they went all the way over board.  This movie has so many references and cameos to other stuff that I can only imagine the nightmare getting all the licenses and rights for stuff.  Hell I'm surprised that Dreamworks even agreed to let some stuff be referenced in this because of their history.    I'm almost halfway through with the movie and it isn't the greatest thing ever but it's really fun so far.

Edit:  finished it.  Yeah It's just a fun movie.  It's Roger Rabbit if it cut back on the darkness, violence, and innuendo and and went completely overboard on references and cameos.  There is more Ugly Sonic than I expected in this movie and I almost didn't think that any of the other Rescue Rangers were going to show up but they did with their original VAs (.....sorta...I'm not going to spoil this but if you're aware of tropes then you can take a wild guess and you'd probably be right).  There's quite a lot of visual gags in this movie and they're hit and miss but they happens so often that when one fails you kind of shrug and look forward to the next one.

The big thing about this movie is it feels the secondary goal of this movie was "how many different styles of animation can we dump into this movie and get away with it?".  2D, 3D, 2D that looks like 3D, black and white, 3D animation if you needed old 3D glasses, claymation and probably some other animation I'm not thinking about.  They've done a pretty good job mixing it all for the most part.  They only use the 3D that looks 2D sparingly on the higher profile characters and characters that aren't all that important are in normal 2D if they aren't important.  Animations are smooth but they have different levels...like Chip looks like he's running at a lower framerate than Dale and it can be distracting at times since you're looking at them through most of the movie.  In any case if you watch it let me know what ya'll think.

Edited by Sonichuman
On 5/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, iStu X said:

The 87 series has to be looked at through the lens of the time it was made.  Parents groups wouldn't let any weapons be used offensively in any kids shows so it's a product of the time.  That show also had some of the most over the top villian voice actors and absolutely silly plotlines.  I still like it but I grew up watching it and had most of the figures.

Edited by J-ride
On 5/18/2022 at 10:49 PM, RSG3 said:

That shit right fucking there is exactly why I don't like Mindy Kaling. 

Double edged sword. We complained minoroty characters should be voiced by minorities becauss they get so little opportunity to be in voice work. Then white people complained about white characters being voiced by minorities. Even though they are by far the majority of the people in the industry. This is the best of both worlds in the end. 

Edited by Maxx
53 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Double edged sword. We complained minoroty characters should be voiced by minorities becauss they get so little opportunity to be in voice work. Then white people complained about white characters being voiced by minorities. Even though they are by far the majority of the people in the industry. This is the best of both worlds in the end. 

No it's lazy fucking race swapping and her being completely unwilling to hear anything about it is even more lazy. Had no problem with whoever voicing whoever but I couldn't even tell that was Velma. This is not the best of both worlds this is being lazy and not making new or uplifting already existing minority characters. 

Still waiting on your explanation for how Top Gun is a franchise for angry white men to. 

Edited by RSG3
18 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

No it's lazy fucking race swapping and her being completely unwilling to hear anything about it is even more lazy. Had no problem with whoever voicing whoever but I couldn't even tell that was Velma. This is not the best of both worlds this is being lazy and not making new or uplifting already existing minority characters. 

Still waiting on your explanation for how Top Gun is a franchise for angry white men to. 

1. race swapping isnt lazy because you can build a new background on it. Its not like there arent 100 scooby doo shows you can go back to. scooby doo doesnt have any minority characters at all except the asian kid from 13 ghosts. there are no existing characters to uplift in this franchise

2. i never said it was for angry white guys. i was talkin about the uber agro white dudes who are into the series turned me off from that movie in general. but i didnt say it was FOR THEM.

People need to stop being lazy and uncreative hacks. Taking other peoples creations and changing them because you can't write your way out of paper bag isn't a solution to anything. It's insulting and condescending. I point to my avatar. Modern "creatives" would have made an existing white character black instead of getting off their asses and creating an original character. Miss me with the excusing of laziness man. I'm beyond tired of it at this point. The only thing worse is the constant holding up of this mediocrity as a "step forward". No it's step back and the fact that people fail to see is damning in and of itself.

If you have to lead with "Did you know my character was (insert race/gender/sexual orientation here)  you've already failed. You are saying "hey my character can't stand on their on two feet. So I'm going wrap them in an identity to evade criticism for my creative bankruptcy. That way I can call people that criticize the Z-Tier trash I'm putting out with. 'Your just a  (insert -ist here).' Stop pandering and do better. Quit doing things that have been done before and trying to pass them off as ground breaking. You want clout? Earn it with a damned good idea or concept.  Learn some damned subtlety, stop being ham-fisted, and you actually accomplish something that won't be forgotten five minutes after it's canceled for fiscal failure.