Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Chapter 1: Siege was just OK. This looks like more of the same. I'll watch it when I am bored. 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/12/28/tfw2005-reviews-netflixs-transformers-war-for-cybertron-earthrise-some-spoilers-426688

@Infernoman I watched Soul this weekend. I thought the move was good. The ending dropped it a few points for me for these two reasons: 

1. It was edited by a guillotine.
  2. I felt that it retracted from the journey. 
Edited by OPTIMUS124

I got the Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge film on Steelbook Bluray for Xmas.

Pros:

Art/animation is great especially during the  fights.

This is one of the more gory "Western" animations Ive ever seen- multiple decapitations, bisections, et al. X-ray style profile shots like in Mk 9/10.!  There are fatalities from the games.

Lots of easter eggs and references to the games and the 1995 movie.

Voice Acting was on point. Scorp and Sub had VA's from the games (MK 10). Joel McHale was the funniest Cage ever!

The 5.1 soundmix is one of the most active Ive heard from a WB direct to video animated film in recent memory.  

Cons

The Biggest problem with the film is despite being called : Scorpion's Revenge, it is 85% a retelling of the Mk1 game story or first movie.

There is  a 10 minute opening summing up Hanzo's origin and a few quick scenes throughout and the last five minutes are Scorpion centric.

The majority of the screentime is on the trio of Liu/Johnny/Sonya ascending through the tournament.

I  am a casual MK fan (I have played MK 1-6, 9,10, but dont remember everything story wise, yet I knew most of the twists and backstory in this already.)

Outside of his action, Liu is a bit bland. Even the 1995 movie had some bits like dropping Johnnys bags in the water or his grudge against Shang to liven it up for a bit.

Overall: 7.5/10

I think it is good and the second best after the 1995 live action , though that is a low bar to cross.

2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I got the Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge film on Steelbook Bluray for Xmas.

Pros:

Art/animation is great especially during the  fights.

This is one of the more gory "Western" animations Ive ever seen- multiple decapitations, bisections, et al. X-ray style profile shots like in Mk 9/10.!  There are fatalities from the games.

Lots of easter eggs and references to the games and the 1995 movie.

Voice Acting was on point. Scorp and Sub had VA's from the games (MK 10). Joel McHale was the funniest Cage ever!

The 5.1 soundmix is one of the most active Ive heard from a WB direct to video animated film in recent memory.  

Cons

The Biggest problem with the film is despite being called : Scorpion's Revenge, it is 85% a retelling of the Mk1 game story or first movie.

There is  a 10 minute opening summing up Hanzo's origin and a few quick scenes throughout and the last five minutes are Scorpion centric.

The majority of the screentime is on the trio of Liu/Johnny/Sonya ascending through the tournament.

I  am a casual MK fan (I have played MK 1-6, 9,10, but dont remember everything story wise, yet I knew most of the twists and backstory in this already.)

Outside of his action, Liu is a bit bland. Even the 1995 movie had some bits like dropping Johnnys bags in the water or his grudge against Shang to liven it up for a bit.

Overall: 7.5/10

I think it is good and the second best after the 1995 live action , though that is a low bar to cross.

It's been while since I watched the movie but the main thing that bugged me about the movie was how they twisted the events of the MK storyline to completely center around Hanzo and and nearly made him the hero.  I mean I could easily just dismiss it as another timeline since MK has more than several of those now but it didn't sit right.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

It's been while since I watched the movie but the main thing that bugged me about the movie was how they twisted the events of the MK storyline to completely center around Hanzo and and nearly made him the hero.  I mean I could easily just dismiss it as another timeline since MK has more than several of those now but it didn't sit right.

Scorpion is Boon’s favorite MK character of all time and I’m pretty sure Scorpion is undefeated or close to in every official MK character popularity poll. So it’d make sense for the retcons. 

johnny was still the best character in the new animated though. He was all about being bench pressed and stomped in the nuts by Sonya lol. 

Edited by iStu X
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching some Disney animated movies. Im too lazy to review each one at length so ill just do scores

Mulan (1998) - 8/10

Tarzan: (1999) - 7.5/10

Hunchback (1996)  - 8/10

Hercules - 8/10

Pocahontas - 7/10

Frozen 2 - 6/10

Notes:

Mulan's villain is one of the blandest designs ever. Im not expecting much character but others like Jafar/Scar have cool voices, or abilities. This dude just has a bird.

Tarzans tree surfing scenes are cool looking. It is a good use of CG in a 2d cel film.

I'm surprised they didnt have Quasimodo get Esmerelda in the end. Bold choice for once Disney. 

James Woods' interpretation of Hades and the design makes him one of the better villains. I dont know where most people would rank him but I would put him near the top. 

Frozen 2 story didnt draw me in. There are too many songs. Kristoff doesnt have much to do.  It's anticlimactic.

The water/ice sculpture animation is great. The relationship between sisters is nice.

4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I'm surprised they didnt have Quasimodo get Esmerelda in the end. Bold choice for once Disney. 

It was true to the book...in the lightest most family friendly way. The book had a horribly grim depressing ending  (But I suppose that is how it was for most if not all Fairy tales Disney bases their movies on). Esmerelda dies and Quasimodo disappears with nothing left to live for knowing she id dead. In the original, Quasimodo's skeleton is found many years later in the charnel house, a mass grave into which the bodies of the destitute and criminals were indiscriminately thrown, implying that Quasimodo had sought Esmeralda among the decaying corpses and lay beside her, himself to die. As the guards attempt to pull the embracing skeletons apart, they both crumble into dust. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to adore the Rugrats, can't say I am that eager for it to return, I dipped out around the time Chucky got a step sister and the movie. I have seen a few of the later episodes on Nick when hanging with my nephew and I have stay PG but they did not impress. CG visuals won't help if the writing is still like that.

I’m watching Apple TV+‘s Central Park. It’s made by Josh Gad and Loren Bouchard and it’s absolutely hilarious. It’s also a musical, which is pretty on point with Bouchard these days. 

edit: wow. Kathryn Hahn plays one of the main characters, Paige and she absolutely kills it. She’s surprisingly an amazing singer. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Didn’t see this here. Nickelodeon is set to launch Avatar Studios, headed by Michael Dimartino and Bryan Konietzko.

It will focus on bringing new content for the series and its first project is an animated movie. Hope it goes well.

I appreciate that this happened  because DiMartino & Konietzko told Netflix to go fuck themselves 

21 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

It's weird that they are allying with Nick again.

I would think Netflix would have given them more creative control and push the boundaries in terms of violence and sensuality.

What did Netflix do that pushed the creators back to Nick?

All we have for certain is that Mike and Bryan left due to creative differences. I heard of some things like the show is going to have sex scenes and that Katara and Sokka swapped ages but I don’t think either of that is confirmed.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

It's weird that they are allying with Nick again.

I would think Netflix would have given them more creative control and push the boundaries in terms of violence and sensuality.

What did Netflix do that pushed the creators back to Nick?

They (The creators of avatar) wanted the live action adaptation to be very diverse in terms of race of the characters, being as inclusive as they could, deep diving into the culture, things like that. Things that people love and want more of out of avatar.

Netflix was basically “that sounds dumb, let’s white wash it and make it adult themed” 

Mike and Bryan said “fuck all that nonsense. Bye” and left the project. 

Edited by iStu X

I've been watching some Pixar films the last few days.

Wall-E / Finding Nemo/ Up - 8.5/10

The relationship between Wall-E and Eve was probably one of the best between 2 non humans.

Nemo looks great bc of the aquatic setting and vibrant color palette.

Up feels the most weird.-using balloons to move a house, talking dogs and talking dogs flying planes. But it felt the most rewarding to see Carl change and grow to like Russell ,Kevin and Dug.

I didn't know Russell was supposed to be Asian though.

Not quite animated related but considering...

https://www.ign.com/articles/powerpuff-girls-live-action-series-cast-announced

Excerpt:

"The live-action Powerpuff Girls is set years after the events of the children’s cartoon. The three Powerpuff Girls are now “disillusioned twenty-something-year-olds” who resent they lost their childhoods to crime-fighting, and have to learn to work together again in the face of a new threat."

What was on that script that got Chloe to sign off on it cause this...smh...

Love Chloe but yeah I ain't here for this. 

Part of the charm of the original was it was cute sweet characters doing excessive super hero violence in more often then not nonsense and comedic plots. Trying to add this YA story is like trying to rewrite Gilligan's Island as a survival drama.

Edit: They are trying to make a spin off of the Teen Titans Go special based on 80s music and art? I enjoyed the first one thought the second was serviceable but that doesn't seem like they left too much meat on that bone to make a series out of it.

Edited by Wellman
21 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Excerpt:

"The live-action Powerpuff Girls is set years after the events of the children’s cartoon. The three Powerpuff Girls are now “disillusioned twenty-something-year-olds” who resent they lost their childhoods to crime-fighting, and have to learn to work together again in the face of a new threat."

This sound FUCKING AWFUL. Like nothing better then after a hard feeling day of work come home, flip on the TV to watch people who resent their lives and the choices they make. 

Sounds so fucking Power Puff!!!  The girls LOVED fighting crime, how do you come to this conclusion for their young adult lives? 

Stupid fucking garbage. 

Edited by RSG3

Utonium likely goes all Reed Richards on the girls where he becomes a dad that clearly loves them but focuses on too many “big picture” things to where he becomes dismissive and shitty. 

it’s still fucking stupid and I hope it bombs. However since it will likely be on the CW it’ll likely thrive. 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Excerpt:

So if it's a continuation of the cartoon series how come Blossom is Asian and Buttercup is Black? I bet money that they make Buttercup a lesbian. CW has to check those boxes after all. I have seen PPG in ages but aren't the sisters. How are they three different ethnicities? Not complaining about seeing more Chloe Bennet but why does Hollywood hate redheads so much? The whole synopsis of this show makes me wonder how the fuck Superman & Lois has been so good, so far. I keep waiting for them to fuck it up. 

50 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So if it's a continuation of the cartoon series how come Blossom is Asian and Buttercup is Black? I bet money that they make Buttercup a lesbian. CW has to check those boxes after all. I have seen PPG in ages but aren't the sisters. How are they three different ethnicities? Not complaining about seeing more Chloe Bennet but why does Hollywood hate redheads so much? The whole synopsis of this show makes me wonder how the fuck Superman & Lois has been so good, so far. I keep waiting for them to fuck it up. 

They're sisters but they're made from a petri dish.  It could be feasible that they're dif ethnicities cause science but the original were all white.  If they're going to do a continuation of the series the should probably keep the same ethnicities they were or make this like an alternate timeline.  I'm not even concerned about the ethnicities right now FR FR, my bigger problem is that story sounds like ass.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:12 PM, Sonichuman said:

They're sisters but they're made from a petri dish.  It could be feasible that they're dif ethnicities cause science but the original were all white.  If they're going to do a continuation of the series the should probably keep the same ethnicities they were or make this like an alternate timeline.  I'm not even concerned about the ethnicities right now FR FR, my bigger problem is that story sounds like ass.

Oh no doubt it sounds like ass. It goes to my issue with the CW mindset. They are more concerned with checking boxes than putting together a good story. That's why, so far, Superman & Lois is good. They fired a writer that wanted to "check boxes" instead of tell a good story.

Edited by Darc_Requiem