Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

I thought Chapter 1: Siege was just OK. This looks like more of the same. I'll watch it when I am bored. 

 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/12/28/tfw2005-reviews-netflixs-transformers-war-for-cybertron-earthrise-some-spoilers-426688

 

@Infernoman I watched Soul this weekend. I thought the move was good. The ending dropped it a few points for me for these two reasons: 

 

  1. It was edited by a guillotine.
  2. I felt that it retracted from the journey. 
Edited by OPTIMUS124
Link to post

I got the Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge film on Steelbook Bluray for Xmas.

 

Pros:

 

Art/animation is great especially during the  fights.

 

This is one of the more gory "Western" animations Ive ever seen- multiple decapitations, bisections, et al. X-ray style profile shots like in Mk 9/10.!  There are fatalities from the games.

 

Lots of easter eggs and references to the games and the 1995 movie.

 

Voice Acting was on point. Scorp and Sub had VA's from the games (MK 10). Joel McHale was the funniest Cage ever!

 

The 5.1 soundmix is one of the most active Ive heard from a WB direct to video animated film in recent memory.  

 

Cons

 

The Biggest problem with the film is despite being called : Scorpion's Revenge, it is 85% a retelling of the Mk1 game story or first movie.

There is  a 10 minute opening summing up Hanzo's origin and a few quick scenes throughout and the last five minutes are Scorpion centric.

The majority of the screentime is on the trio of Liu/Johnny/Sonya ascending through the tournament.

I  am a casual MK fan (I have played MK 1-6, 9,10, but dont remember everything story wise, yet I knew most of the twists and backstory in this already.)

 

Outside of his action, Liu is a bit bland. Even the 1995 movie had some bits like dropping Johnnys bags in the water or his grudge against Shang to liven it up for a bit.

 

Overall: 7.5/10

 

 

I think it is good and the second best after the 1995 live action , though that is a low bar to cross.

 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I got the Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge film on Steelbook Bluray for Xmas.

 

Pros:

 

Art/animation is great especially during the  fights.

 

This is one of the more gory "Western" animations Ive ever seen- multiple decapitations, bisections, et al. X-ray style profile shots like in Mk 9/10.!  There are fatalities from the games.

 

Lots of easter eggs and references to the games and the 1995 movie.

 

Voice Acting was on point. Scorp and Sub had VA's from the games (MK 10). Joel McHale was the funniest Cage ever!

 

The 5.1 soundmix is one of the most active Ive heard from a WB direct to video animated film in recent memory.  

 

Cons

 

The Biggest problem with the film is despite being called : Scorpion's Revenge, it is 85% a retelling of the Mk1 game story or first movie.

There is  a 10 minute opening summing up Hanzo's origin and a few quick scenes throughout and the last five minutes are Scorpion centric.

The majority of the screentime is on the trio of Liu/Johnny/Sonya ascending through the tournament.

I  am a casual MK fan (I have played MK 1-6, 9,10, but dont remember everything story wise, yet I knew most of the twists and backstory in this already.)

 

Outside of his action, Liu is a bit bland. Even the 1995 movie had some bits like dropping Johnnys bags in the water or his grudge against Shang to liven it up for a bit.

 

Overall: 7.5/10

 

 

I think it is good and the second best after the 1995 live action , though that is a low bar to cross.

 

 

It's been while since I watched the movie but the main thing that bugged me about the movie was how they twisted the events of the MK storyline to completely center around Hanzo and and nearly made him the hero.  I mean I could easily just dismiss it as another timeline since MK has more than several of those now but it didn't sit right.

Link to post
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

It's been while since I watched the movie but the main thing that bugged me about the movie was how they twisted the events of the MK storyline to completely center around Hanzo and and nearly made him the hero.  I mean I could easily just dismiss it as another timeline since MK has more than several of those now but it didn't sit right.

Scorpion is Boon’s favorite MK character of all time and I’m pretty sure Scorpion is undefeated or close to in every official MK character popularity poll. So it’d make sense for the retcons. 
 

johnny was still the best character in the new animated though. He was all about being bench pressed and stomped in the nuts by Sonya lol. 

Edited by iStu X
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching some Disney animated movies. Im too lazy to review each one at length so ill just do scores

 

Mulan (1998) - 8/10

 

Tarzan: (1999) - 7.5/10

 

Hunchback (1996)  - 8/10

 

Hercules - 8/10

 

Pocahontas - 7/10

 

Frozen 2 - 6/10

 

Notes:

 

Mulan's villain is one of the blandest designs ever. Im not expecting much character but others like Jafar/Scar have cool voices, or abilities. This dude just has a bird.

 

Tarzans tree surfing scenes are cool looking. It is a good use of CG in a 2d cel film.

 

I'm surprised they didnt have Quasimodo get Esmerelda in the end. Bold choice for once Disney. 

 

James Woods' interpretation of Hades and the design makes him one of the better villains. I dont know where most people would rank him but I would put him near the top. 

 

Frozen 2 story didnt draw me in. There are too many songs. Kristoff doesnt have much to do.  It's anticlimactic.

The water/ice sculpture animation is great. The relationship between sisters is nice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
4 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

I'm surprised they didnt have Quasimodo get Esmerelda in the end. Bold choice for once Disney. 

It was true to the book...in the lightest most family friendly way. The book had a horribly grim depressing ending  (But I suppose that is how it was for most if not all Fairy tales Disney bases their movies on). Esmerelda dies and Quasimodo disappears with nothing left to live for knowing she id dead. In the original, Quasimodo's skeleton is found many years later in the charnel house, a mass grave into which the bodies of the destitute and criminals were indiscriminately thrown, implying that Quasimodo had sought Esmeralda among the decaying corpses and lay beside her, himself to die. As the guards attempt to pull the embracing skeletons apart, they both crumble into dust. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select