Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I should watch the new Ducktales at some point...I got a good laugh out of this

Is easily the greatest animated show that Disney has done in years.

Is intelligently written and the dynamic of the characters is amazing.

You can tell that the people in charge loved the property since by decree, it was required that all writers on the show needed to read all the old comics, so they could have an idea of what they were aiming for with this reboot/new series.

Since the focus was family as a concept, they made a great deal into making you feel their relationships were not only believable, but also endearing.

Every single character brings something to the table, and every character serves as foils to each other at certain points.

It is also one of the few series where the creators, instead of atacking the fans, or taking jabs at them, where very open that they knew that fans of the old show or old comics could feel that it wasn't true to the originals, but urged them to give it a chance for its own merits and to also remember that this show was also made by fans who loved what came before.

And you can tell, since it feels like a love letter for everything related to ducktales, the comics, the show, the game, etc.

You can see nods and callbacks to the duck universe in almost every episode, but at the same time, you don't need to have watched or read the previous works to enjoy this iteration.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, J-ride said:

The new Ducktales is one of the few reboots that I think is better than the original.  But I think a big part of that is the Huey, Duey and Luey voices have aged pretty poorly.  The new voices are a huge improvement.  Also props to them for putting the NES Moon theme from the Ducktales game into an episode, that was a nice easter egg.

Spoiler

My favorite easter egg was when they put the Gargoyles theme on the last episode and let Keith David voice Manny as a nod to Goliath

19 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I should watch the new Ducktales at some point...I got a good laugh out of this

Stop what you're doing, watch now, yes ignore your kid, watch now!

I'm kidding watch your kid BUUUUUT watch the show. It's a love letter to both fans of the comics and the OG show AND the disney afternoon shows from the late 80's/90's

16 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Stop what you're doing, watch now, yes ignore your kid, watch now!

I'm kidding watch your kid BUUUUUT watch the show. It's a love letter to both fans of the comics and the OG show AND the disney afternoon shows from the late 80's/90's

Just now, RSG3 said:

Better yet, watch it with your kid. 

Well I'm not doing anything right now and all of you guys are urging that I need to watch this show so I'm gonna start it now.   I could probably try to rope my son into watching it but he seems to be far more interested in his tablet than anything else at the moment.  I've watched a variety of stuff and the only things that have kept his attention so far have been the Sonic movie, Moana (probably his favorite thing right now as he watches this back to back some times) and the Paw Patrol movie.

44 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

@Sonichumandid you watch Ducktales 2017 by any chance_

I am curious to know if you liked it if you did.

I'm currently still watching it and I've been enjoying it so far.  That episode with Donald being stubborn and Ms Beakley just watching him set the pool on fire while drinking tea had me dying.  The show has a ton of charm to it.

11 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I'm currently still watching it and I've been enjoying it so far.  That episode with Donald being stubborn and Ms Beakley just watching him set the pool on fire while drinking tea had me dying.  The show has a ton of charm to it.

Keeping Donald around was one of the best decisions they made in a show full of great decisions. The other was giving the triplets their own unique personalities. 

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Also Webby is wonderfully awkward lol.

What I like about this series regarding Webby is that in the hands of incompetent writers her new personality and skillset would have easily pushed her into an annoying territory, is a testament of the quality and effort that the team behind the series put into the chars and their dynamics.

Side note

Is basically the same thing that happened with the cast of Glitch Techs, their personalities and behavior would have been easily annoying in any other series, but they walk the fine line of being quirky and hyper without falling into the trash heap, at least for me.

You don't have idea how tired I am of that archetype those days, since it feels that every main char or part of the main assemble  is like that, to the point that it can be a turn off for me now.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, RSG3 said:

I hate the whole Genki Girl trope due to this being the general outcome. 

It is sad, because it wasn't always like that.

Now, Imo, it seems that the problem is mostly on the western/usa media, because I don't have the same problem when it comes to characters on manga/anime.

39 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I watched like half an episode early on. As someone that grew up with OG cartoon and also loved the 2k3 version, the designs and more humourous stories left me unmotivated to watch more. Heard nice things though can't confirm nothing.

I only know about the series due one sick clip from it, that had superb animation.

But I don't know if it was a special thing for that particular episode, or if it was the norm for the action sequences to be that well animated.

12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Wait wut???

I remember seeing a clip of this when the show was ending and looked into it So there was a reoccurring villain in the series, a woman who was very enthusiastic about joining the Foot Clan. She also didn’t have a name. Only referred to as Foot Recruit throughout the show. Because she’s a girl and have a connection to the Foot Clan, people originally thought she would be revealed to be that universe’s Karai.

In the series finale, she turns on Shredder and becomes good. She then says her name for the first time in the series, Cassandra Jones, and is revealed to be that universe’s Casey as she fights with a hockey stick.

In the new trailer, it looks like they did add a male Casey. Though since he is said to be from the future, he’s probably meant to be Cassandra’s descendant.

4 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I remember seeing a clip of this when the show was ending and looked into it So there was a reoccurring villain in the series, a woman who was very enthusiastic about joining the Foot Clan. She also didn’t have a name. Only referred to as Foot Recruit throughout the show. Because she’s a girl and have a connection to the Foot Clan, people originally thought she would be revealed to be that universe’s Karai.

In the series finale, she turns on Shredder and becomes good. She then says her name for the first time in the series, Cassandra Jones, and is revealed to be that universe’s Casey as she fights with a hockey stick.

In the new trailer, it looks like they did add a male Casey. Though since he is said to be from the future, he’s probably meant to be Cassandra’s descendant.

This sounds....reeally pointless and almost a waste of a character TBH.  Really not liking the idea that they wait until the series finale to reveal that she's Cassandra Jones.  Sounds stupid as hell to me.  It's like "GREAT....now they're no more episodes to do anything else with the character"

43 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I blame the MCU for making it even more prevalent now.

Writers nowdays try to pass snarky one liners as comedy and personality.

Snaeky 1 liners is technically comedy so they are succeeding in that regard. 

Blame Mahvel all you want they just giving the people what they asked for. 

6 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

This sounds....reeally pointless and almost a waste of a character TBH.  Really not liking the idea that they wait until the series finale to reveal that she's Cassandra Jones.  Sounds stupid as hell to me.  It's like "GREAT....now they're no more episodes to do anything else with the character"

I remember that it was not meant to be the series finale, but just the second season finale. The show happened to be axed when it was airing. So if the show would’ve continued, there would have probably be more episodes with Cassandra being an ally to the turtles. But as of now, it’s something that didn’t get explored.

11 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I personally hate it because I want no incarnation of Casey being associated with the foot. Casey is stereotypical New Yorker and a good hearted goon who fights with sports equipment. The winning formula should not be fucked with.

Is that worse than being a police officer in the last movie?