Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Unpopular opinion, but I actually like the Bay movies.

Specially the 1st one when it comes on how the turtles felt like humanoid tanks on it.

I loved the scene where Ralph, (I think it was him) rammed a humvee with his shell and the humvee lost

https://tenor.com/view/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-micheal-bay-megan-fox-badass-gif-3536225

I liked Bay's turtles as well. I actually did like their designs and gigantuan size. It allowed them to be intimidating and emphasize the mutant part of them. It worked with the movie version of the foot being para military. I was disappointed when the sequel shrunk them down.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

I liked Bay's turtles as well. I actually did like their designs and gigantuan size. It allowed them to be intimidating and emphasize the mutant part of them. It worked with the movie version of the foot being para military. I was disappointed when the sequel shrunk them down.

Same, It was something that i did dislike a lot.

I still haven't seen the Bay Produced Turtles movies. What little I've seen from clips I like the turtles themselves but everything g else around them seems kinda wack. Shredder looks like they took the Cole slaw cutter joke from the first movie seriously lol. 

I'll see em when I stumble on em on streaming or something and smoke a bowl and watch em. Should be fun at the very least. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Unpopular opinion, but I actually like the Bay movies.

Specially the 1st one when it comes on how the turtles felt like humanoid tanks on it.

I loved the scene where Ralph, (I think it was him) rammed a humvee with his shell and the humvee lost

https://tenor.com/view/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-micheal-bay-megan-fox-badass-gif-3536225

+1 for genuinely enjoying the Bay TMNT. There was some stuff I disagreed with (like the casting choice for Casey) but other than that while not great it was good and serviceable. 

And the drama between them aside, and I get why she hates him, but I liked that Bay wrote Megan Fox’s April as a smart, resourceful and sexy but still relatable reporter that wasn’t afraid of getting her hands dirty (see: using her sex appeal) to get good stories 

Edited by iStu X
52 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

In case you haven't seen the show and want to watch it before the movie hits

I might. A lot of the animation choreography is other worldly good. Definitive GDLK status. I just fucking hate everything about the characterization of the turtles

RAPH IS NOT THE LEADER! THATS HIS WHOLE FUCKING ARC THE ENTIRE SERIES IN EVERYBSERIES! WANTING TO HE THE LEADER AND THEN AFTER SHIT GOES TITS UP AND HE CANT COPE WITH BEING TEAM LEADER HE REALIZES WHY SPLINTER PUT LEO IN CHARGE! WHICH DOESNT END THEIR SIBLING RIVALRY BUT IT LETS THEM UNDERSTAND EACHOTHER AND RESPECT EACHOTHER ON NEW LEVELS! 

FUCK

disney quote GIF

Sorry. Raphael is my favorite tmnt character and one of my favorite characters of all time. The mischaracterization of him really pisses me off. 

Edited by iStu X

I'm really enjoying all the characters in Ducktales even Launchpad.  I'm surprised I'm liking Launchpad as much as I do but his meathead california surfer dudebro IQ has gotten some genuine laughs out of me in most situations.

Edit:  I'm on the golf episode by the way and I've been laughing near non stop since they got teleported.

Edited by Sonichuman
54 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

When a low budget 2000s Canadian cartoon has better comedic timing than most things today.

Loved this show when I was growing up. Watched an episode right before going to school everyday.

Is this Veronica and Betty? I can’t tell what cartoon this is but it looks like Veronica and Betty from Archie

25 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Gotta say...I was not expecting an over 9000 joke in Ducktales.  Came out of nowhere perfectly complete with the "scouter" breaking.

Yea its great. It comes out of no where, but feels perfectly like it belongs, and they move on from it quick without trying to bring any attention to it. I actually laughed at "YOU'RE IN TOO DEEEP!!!" harder and it comes right after. So good.

Last things I heard was that they were remaking the pilot because no one liked the leaked script for it. And after that, the actress playing Blossom couldn’t return due to scheduling conflicts. 

I can’t remember if this show was officially announced, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they just swept it under the rug.

17 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The last few session took a weird fucking turn when they started handing powers out

I watched most of that series and it was weird from the jump. The twist with the first villain was novel but the swords emphasis and later almost tokusatsu type power armors they got later is so far from the original beat em up that it became hard to even tell what was going on.

It also had a fighting game if I remember right, not that other Double Dragon fighting game one based on the first or second season of the show.

13 hours ago, Wellman said:

I watched most of that series and it was weird from the jump. The twist with the first villain was novel but the swords emphasis and later almost tokusatsu type power armors they got later is so far from the original beat em up that it became hard to even tell what was going on.

It also had a fighting game if I remember right, not that other Double Dragon fighting game one based on the first or second season of the show.

Yeah it was am snes game.. It wasnt bad from what i remember

^ EEEEYYYYYY...Show is over due for a revisit.  Darkwing is in a corner somewhere salty AF right now lol

I missed the Premiere of Primal which was apparently last night but it gets put on HBO max next day so all good

Edit:

Speaking of DW,  I am absolutely in love with the love they show DW in Ducktales.  The metaness of it all is amazing and also in love with how much the show runners just seem to love the show.

Edited by Sonichuman

So I picked up Transformers: The Complete Original Series on DVD on Amazon. I haven't seen G1 Transformers in forever. I think the animation holds up well for an early '80s show. G1 bots still have some of my favorite designs.

Also picked up Transformers the Movie steelbook 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. Freaking loved this movie when I saw it in the early 2000s. Apparently this film traumatized kids in theaters when it aired.

The faves that got killed off in this move hurt. But hey. GOTTA MAKE ROOM FOR THOSE NEW TRANSFORMER TOYS IN STORES!!!

Excited Looney Tunes GIF

I never saw the movie in theaters, I think I saw it on TV at some point or they just retelling it's events so much in the following season I mentally came up with the plot so when I did see it, it felt like Deja Vu.

The "Injury" in GI Joe left more of mental scar for me and I never even liked that character.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:02 PM, BornWinner said:

Craig McCracken announces reboots for Powerpuff Girls and Foster’s.

Here’s hoping it will be better than  the last time they rebooted PPG. I don’t think Craig was part of that project though.

For the info I have seem, the Foster reboot could be oriented to toddlers since it seems that it has a kinder garden this time.

Chasing that Coco Melon money.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, iStu X said:

I might. A lot of the animation choreography is other worldly good. Definitive GDLK status. I just fucking hate everything about the characterization of the turtles

RAPH IS NOT THE LEADER! THATS HIS WHOLE FUCKING ARC THE ENTIRE SERIES IN EVERYBSERIES! WANTING TO HE THE LEADER AND THEN AFTER SHIT GOES TITS UP AND HE CANT COPE WITH BEING TEAM LEADER HE REALIZES WHY SPLINTER PUT LEO IN CHARGE! WHICH DOESNT END THEIR SIBLING RIVALRY BUT IT LETS THEM UNDERSTAND EACHOTHER AND RESPECT EACHOTHER ON NEW LEVELS! 

FUCK

disney quote GIF

Sorry. Raphael is my favorite tmnt character and one of my favorite characters of all time. The mischaracterization of him really pisses me off. 

Is even funnier when we remember how on the og series he didn't like fighting that much and was kind of chill, unlike his subsequent iterations, lol.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:55 AM, RegH81 said:

So I picked up Transformers: The Complete Original Series on DVD on Amazon. I haven't seen G1 Transformers in forever. I think the animation holds up well for an early '80s show. G1 bots still have some of my favorite designs.

Also picked up Transformers the Movie steelbook 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. Freaking loved this movie when I saw it in the early 2000s. Apparently this film traumatized kids in theaters when it aired.

The faves that got killed off in this move hurt. But hey. GOTTA MAKE ROOM FOR THOSE NEW TRANSFORMER TOYS IN STORES!!!

Excited Looney Tunes GIF

I rewatched G1 some years ago. It's campy and has charm. I think many fans remember it more for how the series made them feel than the actual content. While dated visually, Beast Wars is the best show in the entire franchise. 

I remember watching the 86 movie in August of 1990. That was the month that I became an adult. My brothers and I had no idea what was coming. I honestly believe this was the first movie that I actually cried over. Prime's entire circumstance was executed brilliantly. It quite honestly may be one of the best cartoon deaths to date. 

I went to TFCon back in 2015 and the story consultant, Flint Dille, explained how they really didn't have an idea of how important the characters were, in particular Optimus Prime. One of the Hasbro execs dropped garbage bags full of "hate mail" regarding the death of Prime. They even mentioned a story about a kid locking himself in a room because of Prime's death. Dille questioned the validity, but figured it didn't matter. This is also the reason why Duke has the line about "coming out of a coma" at the end of the GI Joe movie. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124