Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Incoming "Woke" complaints about Shaggy 😂

They'll come in for Daphne to but probably not in as high numbers Shaggy will get.

Also I thought they said the other members weren't gonna show up in this show sinces its like some alternate timeline where she didn't meet them?  Thought I read that...did I dream that?

42 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

God, the past few posts have been about Scooby Doo. And I’m not helping with posting this as well.

Always funny to see people not know that Norville is Shaggy’s real name.

Fuck I remember as kid hearing that was his name and understanding why he goes with Shaggy.

You know I think my only issue is I never would have guessed those where Scooby-Doo characters.

Believe that was the same thing I said about Velma to when they showed her off. None of these characters look like they are who they say they are. 

Edit:Gonna laugh when Scooby is turned into a Chihuahua or something. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Also I thought they said the other members weren't gonna show up in this show sinces its like some alternate timeline where she didn't meet them?  Thought I read that...did I dream that?

Thought I saw that too so I went article searching. We both imagined that I guess. Even the earliest ones I could find just stated that this was an origin for Velma and she will have a lot of focus. Not that she will be the only character from the original series to be in the show. 

Daphne can even be seen in that one image where that girl got scalped. 

Spoiler

IMG_6706.webp

15 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

You know I think my only issue is I never would have guessed those where Scooby-Doo characters.

Believe that was the same thing I said Velma to when they showed her off. None of these characters look like they are who they say they are. 

Someone said that the Shaggy looks like he’s never been scared of anything in his life and I agree.  With it being an adult series, I wouldn’t be shocked if they played the stoner Shaggy headcanon straight. 

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Thought I saw that too so I went article searching. We both imagined that I guess. Even the earliest ones I could find just stated that this was an origin for Velma and she will have a lot of focus. Not that she will be the only character from the original series to be in the show. 

Daphne can even be seen in that one image where that girl got scalped. 

Hide contents

IMG_6706.webp

Someone said that the Shaggy looks like he’s never been scared of anything in his life and I agree.  With it being an adult series, I wouldn’t be shocked if they played the stoner Shaggy headcanon straight. 

It didn't even register that the red head back there was supposed to be Daphne.  I thought she was just some random red head chick.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, BornWinner said:

Also the teaser has been released.

Mindy’s voice is a great fit for Velma, but the teaser only making fun of people complaining about change is not making me more excited for the series.

Mindy's voice for her is damn near perfect.  People are still going to hate pretty hard since they're poking fun at people being mad at the race swaps.

Edited by Sonichuman
18 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The teaser got my curious as to how the Jetsons managed to avoid getting an update.

My immediate guess was they didn't know how to break into the animated sitcom market where The Simpsons and Family Guy have dominated. But thinking about it, aside from Rosie and Astro the dog, none of the Jetsons had that interesting of a personality or quirk you could build a reboot around besides it being in the dated future it was set. Unless you go a complete revamp, which they may not want to it would just be a ironically out of date sitcom in the future.

I don't know about the Jetsons but I know Seth McFarlane has been trying to get. Flinstones reboot off the ground for a few years and from the sounds of things has been getting roadblocked/running into problems.  You'd think if someone like Seth wanted to reboot something liie that there wouldn't much issue so curious if the same problems he's had are the same issues that have been plaguing the Jetsons.

Yeah, in some areas where you are trying to reboot an established IP, you will see some folk playing gate keeper and shooting down stuff which is why gambling on doing your own original IP can be the better option. But then again sticking a finger or two in the honey jar that is a potential project even if they don't use most of your contributions to it can get you a check or potential residuals.

Yeah their response to not having Scooby Doo show up did not make any sense.  It reeks of "We just didn't want to because reasons"

If they had any talent or creativity, they'd be doing their own stuff not using an existing IP to hide their inadequacies as creators. It's infinitely easier to write within an existing framework than creating your own. And that's if you try to stick to the existing material. 

Yeah their response to not having Scooby Doo show up did not make any sense.  It reeks of "We just didn't want to because reasons"

Actually I get it. They are going for a more "mature " take on the show. To avoid corrupting the show proper they are going to remove the most famous and kid friendly portion of it. Hell you could argue the race changes among the main cast also fall into that purpose so that they can jump back to the OG cast without worrying about people saying 'You see that cartoon where Scooby was humping Daphne leg?' Like how folk used to talk about the Donald Duck video where he joined the Nazis 

A look back at the newer Thundercats that unfortunately had the handicap of being aired on Cartoon Network.... imagine what could have been if it were allowed to continue.... (*for one---I was sure that if it continued to be a hit, eventually someone would've said "hey there's this other one called Silverhawks we could bring back too...")

*Note---I'm not sure where he heard about fan backlash... I don't recall hearing any old fans complaining... *seems* like some BS on that being one of the reasons, at least from what I remember.... with it being 2011 fan backlash would definitely have been noticeable thanks to the internet and social media already being a thing by that point.

Alternate timeline---imagine Thundercats 2011 debuts on Netflix instead of CN.... goes on to be a hit; we'd get at least 4 or 5 seasons of it... then at some point we got Silverhawks... then maybe even MASK after that, Starcom, ROBOTIX and whatever else, and so on and so on.

Edited by MillionX
22 hours ago, RSG3 said:

The execs told the Velma crew they couldn't use Scooby, it wasn't a decision they made themselves, least from what I've read. 

That is true but it also states within the same article was that they had no plans of including Scooby anyway so it still reflects on the crew that they somehow can’t think of a way to include a talking dog.

Speaking of, a few people that went to Comic Con said that Velma’s first episode was screened there. None of them go into any detail (maybe because of some NDA), but they all say that the episode was nothing like the teaser they publicly shown.

You know the more I think about it, the more it's a situation that begs more questions to be asked. Ok so Shaggy is now black? ok? BUT OG shaggy is: a slacker/stoner/loser? (arguable) and eats a lot, chills with a dog and is somewhat paranoid which if placed on a black man in the wrong way in today's climate, these traits can be seen as offensive/stereotypical aka to some as racist. So instead of calling this ver shaggy, we name him by the real name Norville. In an odd way unless you actually knew his real name, one could argue they just made an OG character which is fine...but then I would ask, why didn't they just do this from the start with everyone? why not make a show that was just OG?

adult parodies of classic shows have been done for decades. yes Scooby Doo wasn't a PURE children's show in the 70's but the point remains that an OG show in the direct spirit of Scooby Doo would allow for far more creative freedom. Adult Swim did this to great success with The Venture bros. I'm not even a Scooby doo fan so yes why am I bothering to speak up? because it's more of the continued notion of using exiting properties to sell something vs making something original. 

I suppose this then goes into a bigger rant about something I have wanted to discuss. I admit I struggle to filter what should deserve a shot at being rebooted/given a new version vs what shows should stay in the past due to being a relic of their era. Some IPs have allowed themselves to be remade when needed (Scooby Doo/TMNT/Transformers )and some prefer to maintain a singular canon (Star Wars?) 

14 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Jamie is kind of a nerd. One of my favorite moments from her is when she went to EVO and cosplayed Vega.

I was at that evo. shame I didn’t get to meet her. Everyone I came across who did meet her said she knew a shit ton about the FGC. I’m talking tournaments and player history  mind you. not history of the video games (which she also knew) 

Edited by iStu X

I saw Beavis and Butthead do the Universe on Paramount Plus.

Pros:

Nice sci fi angle that isn't something I associate with b/B but it worked for the story.

While mostly digital, it still mostly looks the same as the classic 1990's shows.

Voice work was great. I haven't watched the show in 25 years but Judge  sounds near identical to the 1990's.

Cons

Jokes are solid, but not revolutionary. If you were not  a BB fan before, this probably wont convert you.

7.5/10

Edited by DangerousJ