Stage Select

The Cartoons and Animation Thread

Everyone I've talked to who has actually watched it has liked it so far, and Po was pissed about the show so you know that means its quality. 

Do you think some time you could post your own opinion about something instead of someone elses? You're the guy who still hasn't watched the GitS live action movie because of literally incorrect, gut reaction missimformation from YouTube videos and Twitter bullshit. 

Like just fucking stop man. 

Edited by RSG3

I'm not invested in He-Man like all the people who are bitching but I will say this

Spoiler

The show could have lessen the sting of He-Man dying making if Teela wasn't so unlikable. He-Man sacrificed himself to save the universe in the opening episode and all she seems to care about is the fact Adam being He-Man was kept a secret from her and quits her position because her feelings were hurt. All of this in front of Adam's grieving parents. Seeing her so self absorbed isn't going to get me on her side.  

Her girlfriend had to talk her into doing a universe saving quest. This isn't giving me hope for the rest of the season.

17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm not invested in He-Man like all the people who are bitching but I will say this

Hide contents

The show could have lessen the sting of He-Man dying making if Teela wasn't so unlikable. He-Man sacrificed himself to save the universe in the opening episode and all she seems to care about is the fact Adam being He-Man was kept a secret from her and quits her position because her feelings were hurt. All of this in front of Adam's grieving parents. Seeing her so self absorbed isn't going to get me on her side.  

Her girlfriend had to talk her into doing a universe saving quest. This isn't giving me hope for the rest of the season.

You hit the nail on the head.

Spoiler

Setting aside the bait and switch bullshit. Teela is thoroughly unlikeable. It's hard to get behind a show when you can't root for the protagonist. Which is weird for me because typically I've liked Teela's portrayal. Fuck your feelings Teela. Depending how the show goes, this will be the second child Randor and Marlena has lost. Teela is throwing a tantrum about a secret that was kept for the safety of He-Man/Adam's family and friends.

Just started watching the show. Loved it so far. 

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ahh yes the manliest show where no one knows how to handle emotions well.. Lmfao. The king wanted teela to kick her own father out of the kingdom. I dunno I'm cutting her some slack on this. Just found out her best friend died and was the superhero of the universe.. I highly doubt she knows how to handle real emotions. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Ahh yes the manliest show where no one knows how to handle emotions well.. Lmfao. The king wanted teela to kick her own father out of the kingdom. I dunno I'm cutting her some slack on this. Just found out her best friend died and was the superhero of the universe.. I highly doubt she knows how to handle real emotions. 

Personally, for me, it comes off like that forced drama that turned me off of all CW shows except for Superman & Lois. 

Spoiler

I'll use a personal example. I found out, at my dad's funeral, that I had a sister. If I had Teela's attitude, I would left the funeral enraged because my mother knew and didn't tell me. The loss of someone I loved was far more important to me than a secret. She was selfish and it was a huge turnoff. Randor lost his child. Teela not knowing about He-Man's identity isn't in the same universe as that.

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

The scene would have played out better if she did quit because the King wanted her to boot her dad but that's not why she left. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The scene would have played out better if she did quit because the King wanted her to boot her dad but that's not why she left. 

Instead she dips on the man that took her in and raised her like his own child. Not the type of person I can root for. Doesn't help that she has to be goaded into to doing the right thing later on. Maybe things will turn around in part 2. Not going to pretend to be hopeful

9 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

How she feels is irrelevant to the bigger picture.

No it's not. Her feelings are not irrelevant to her. It's really fucking sad we don't let our fictional characters be human. Emotions are emotions you aren't always in control of them, and beyond that 99% of the time peoples feelings aren't irrelevant despite the gravity of a situation. Ignoring people's feelings and emotions just as damaging as being overly emotional all the time. 

Denying her emotions is dehumanizing. 

Edited by RSG3
2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

No it's not. Her feelings are not irrelevant to her. It's really fucking sad we don't let our fictional characters be human. Emotions are emotions you aren't always in control of them, and beyond that 99% of the time peoples feelings aren't irrelevant despite the gravity of a situation. Ignoring people's feelings and emotions just as damaging as being overly emotional all the time. 

She wants to act like a child over petty things. Not being clued in to a secret identity is not worth throwing your life away over and leaving the universe in a state of shit. She treats Adam's sacrifice as something she was victimized by. She's being selfish and I can't get behind it. 

Im not really asking you to get behind it. Im asking why she isnt allowed to be a human being and have feelings. People have feelings you disagree with all the time.  Doesnt mean they arent allowed tp have them or are wrong for feeling the way they do. 

Edited by RSG3
23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

People can react to a situation any way they like. That reaction can and will be judged by others. How you react to something reflects your character. Teela's reaction makes her selfish person to me. And maybe @Hawkingbirdas well. 

So...I just finished watching MotU: R Part 1 and I really enjoyed it.  Animation was so clean and smooth and I got invested in some of the characters.  The amount of star power they put behind the voice actors in this show kept surprising me.  The put BANK behind the voice actors alone.  This is coming from someone who just passingly is aware of He-Man.  I don't know about any of the lore and I barely know who some of the characters are or what some of their names are aside from little things I know through social osmosis.

Even through enjoying the show...I completely understand the issue that some people have with Teena.  I get her being upset and that's all fine and good but her taking that really shit situation in the first episode and then suddenly making it all about her was extremely souring.   And then her needing coaxing to save the world was also even more souring because of pettiness.  She's been told "hey if this isn't done then not only does this planet die...but the entire universe dies" and her response was pretty much 'GOOD...FUCK EM".  Fucking even Evil Lyn had better self preservation than her in that moment.

Edited by Sonichuman

ok, yeah...

As this has had some time to sit in my mind for a bit.... there's mixed feelings about this shit, man... visually, I enjoyed this show for sure.  I enjoyed the inclusion of so many of the classic characters here...and my main girls Evillyn and Sorceress were looking great....and I thought this version of Orko was more interesting than the dopey comic relief side-character from the original....he actually has a moment to do something major in this.

However, the more I think about it.... yeahhh I'm just not liking the "bait & switch" going on here....you see "Masters of the Universe" and most people of Gen-X and the elder Millenials think "He-Man", but of course that's just not what this one is about anymore....and it's looking like at best he gets to come back as a goddamn side-character that *maybe* gets to help out a little bit in whatever happens at the grand final showdown.  It's like a Batman show where Robin and/or Batgirl are the real star characters saving the day, while Batman himself is injured and out of the picture for 99% of the story.

...oddly enough, it could actually be worse, of course....we could've had a CW-style situation where they shit on He-Man's character every chance they get, and only bring him back to say lines like "I guess you're just so much better than me at this hero thang, Teela!  They don't need me anymore, because they have you." (e.g. - Supergirl series.)

On 7/24/2021 at 11:27 PM, Sonichuman said:

So...I just finished watching MotU: R Part 1 and I really enjoyed it.  Animation was so clean and smooth and I got invested in some of the characters.  The amount of star power they put behind the voice actors in this show kept surprising me.  The put BANK behind the voice actors alone.  This is coming from someone who just passingly is aware of He-Man.  I don't know about any of the lore and I barely know who some of the characters are or what some of their names are aside from little things I know through social osmosis.

Even through enjoying the show...I completely understand the issue that some people have with Teena.  I get her being upset and that's all fine and good but her taking that really shit situation in the first episode and then suddenly making it all about her was extremely souring.   And then her needing coaxing to save the world was also even more souring because of pettiness.  She's been told "hey if this isn't done then not only does this planet die...but the entire universe dies" and her response was pretty much 'GOOD...FUCK EM".  Fucking even Evil Lyn had better self preservation than her in that moment.

Her whole life is about saving the universe. She was more inclined to join when she got the full backstory. She also aged up, but again... The problem is no one told her the whole truth. So many lies, if people were honest then they wouldn't have even had this problem in the first place. 

I don't know her age for sure but she seems pretty young in the beginning prob not much older than Adam. I'm guessing under 20, but that also plays a part. People say she's acting childish... I got the feeling she was a child. Especially after the time skip seems she's in her mid 20s at best. 

The problem is people seem to thinking feelings are so set in stone instead of a spectrum.  Ex. If we both get the same tattoo on our body.. We won't feel the same pain. It may be unbearable and excruciating to you and it may feel like nothing to me. Does your pain mean your a pussy? Does my pain invalidate yours?  No. Your body is just built different and so to you it may be so much worse.  

How she reacted didn't take away from the story to me at all. It didn't take me out and I'm so confused how that moment is such a anti teela takeaway. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

1627329352628.png

Speaking of Amber, i have seen people trying to say that any criticism about her is Racism, i kid you not.

BTW, without entering into spoilers for those who have not read the comics, i am 90% sure that Amber being unlikeable is on purpose.

At least is what i think, considering where is very likely the story heading, and what i presume is the route they will have for it to happen.

The only thing i can fault the show though, is that Mark friends gave him shit for not telling her, considering that it makes all the sense in the context of the show.

Side note

Someone pointed out, that Amber only gives Mark attention when he has been hurt, lol.

And now i can't unsee it.

7 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Man the He man show sure was a disappointment, hot trash imo 🤣 🙄

Honestly my biggest take away is that Kevin Smith is a spineless coward. The show has been released. Everyone can see what events occurred. Stop pretending like what was leaked ahead of time isn't true. He went on this  live stream saying "He-Man didn't step aside."  He doesn't make it out of the first episode. Stand behind what you've done already. 

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

Sooo...this new He Man going to be The Last Jedi of the He Man franchise? Forever fracturing the fanbase and dividing everyone?

I am not a He Man fan so I won't pretend to be in this fight. Just interesting to see it happen to another fanbase...

I don't think so. I think this is blew up the way it did because of how Kevin Smith handled the situation. I also feel that it's a bit of fan fatigue. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. Instead of coming up with new ideas. They take an existing property and change it so much that barely resembles the IP that was licensed.  Most recent example of this is the Snake Eyes movie. When people complain about the piss poor handing of existing properties, the studios attack them. Since the entertainment press is basically on Hollywood's payroll. You see multiple outlets regurgitate the same talking points and target the fans. This makes the situation worse and draws people that wouldn't have cared that much into the situation on principle. 

In the case of cartoons, a lot of the older shows don't hold up today. That said, they can be brought into the modern era without completely forgetting about what made them appealing in the first place. He-Man 2002 and Thundercats 2011 come to mind. Also, I really get tired of the braindead argument of "it was just a 30 minute toy ad". Yes it was and the reboots are the same thing. This combined with Hollywood, and the media in general, pretending that there were no strong female characters until now show's me that people don't know what they were talking nor do they care enough to look into the matter.  

Edited by Darc_Requiem
12 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Does anyone know if theirs a easy way to check court records to see if someone's in jail? I'm worried a friend of mine is in jail atm. His girl messaged me July 15 asking if I knew about his court case. And I had no clue about it.. I suspect some possibilities but she gave me no details. I messaged her later that day asking for an update and said he's probably not gonna see me for a bit because he's embarrassed and gave no updates. He hasn't posted a status or ig post. He's usually semi active and she won't respond to my messages so I'm trying to figure out if he's in jail. Even his other friends have messaged me asking about him

Sir this is a thread about cartoons 

49 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Sooo...this new He Man going to be The Last Jedi of the He Man franchise? Forever fracturing the fanbase and dividing everyone?

I am not a He Man fan so I won't pretend to be in this fight. Just interesting to see it happen to another fanbase...

Maybe, although i see people who didnt care about He man also hating it, so who knows, perhaps it would be hated universally, but who i am kidding, there will always be people who like terribad stuff, just look at Tlou2

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't think so. I think this is blew up the way it did because of how Kevin Smith handled the situation. I also feel that it's a bit of fan fatigue. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. Instead of coming up with new ideas. They take an existing property and change it so much that barely resembles the IP that was licensed.  Most recent example of this is the Snake Eyes movie. When people complain about the piss poor handing of existing properties, the studios attack them. Since the entertainment press is basically on Hollywood's payroll. You see multiple outlets regurgitate the same talking points and target the fans. This makes the situation worse and draws people that wouldn't have cared that much into the situation on principle. 

In the case of cartoons, a lot of the older shows don't hold up today. That said, they can be brought into the modern era without completely forgetting about what made them appealing in the first place. He-Man 2002 and Thundercats 2011 come to mind. Also, I really get tired of the braindead argument of "it was just a 30 minute toy ad". Yes it was and the reboots are the same thing. This combined with Hollywood, and the media in general, pretending that there were no strong female characters until now show's me that people don't know what they were talking nor do they care enough to look into the matter.  

Snake Eyes literally lifts stories from the comics. Multiple Canon stories for the reboot. What are you talking about. 

I don't see how they changed stuff for this was any different than the first two gi Joe movies. 

Edited by Maxx
5 hours ago, Maxx said:

Snake Eyes literally lifts stories from the comics. Multiple Canon stories for the reboot. What are you talking about. 

I don't see how they changed stuff for this was any different than the first two gi Joe movies. 

You are assuming that I was cool with how the first two movies were handled. The first movie was trash. The second movie was better at least. The Snake Eyes movie seemed like someone took an unrelated ninja script and attached the Snake Eyes IP to it. I can't be the only one that felt Snake Eyes was the villain. He betrayed Storm Shadow. Resulting in people getting cooked literally. Maybe they should have hired one of the pervy Olympic cameramen. At least they can hold a camera steady.  At least Andrew Koji got a check. If anyone wants to see a quality production with him on it, watch Warrior. Its on HBO Max.

6 hours ago, Maxx said:

Dude they don't care. It betrays their preconceived notions of what He-man cartoons are supposed to be and no matter where the source comes from won't matter to then. A lot of this He Man show has come dirextly from the books but its still Kevins fault for not making a He-Man show they specifically wanted, and he's an asshole for doing PR control over leaks was if people who go out of their way to leak information about this stuff aren't the actual assholes. Nope it's all Kevin. He's the asshole for adapting a comic book and then for trying to keep some of the shows surprises a fucking surprise. 

This show was fucked before it even got to air. They only care about it being what they think it should be and not what it actually is. You told him multiple stories from GI Joe comic books are in Snake Eyes and he still goes "Its not Gi Joe!" 

They want their childhood, not whats been developed from it in the last 30 years. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You are assuming that I was cool with how the first two movies were handled. The first movie was trash. The second movie was better at least. The Snake Eyes movie seemed like someone took an unrelated ninja script and attached the Snake Eyes IP to it. I can't be the only one that felt Snake Eyes was the villain. He betrayed Storm Shadow. Resulting in people getting cooked literally. Maybe they should have hired one of the pervy Olympic cameramen. At least they can hold a camera steady.  At least Andrew Koji got a check. If anyone wants to see a quality production with him on it, watch Warrior. Its on HBO Max.

It lifts stories from the comics. Your idea of "it seems" is flat out wrong. That's isn't an opinion, your idea of unrelated ninja script is wrong, it literally takes major plot points from the comic series. 

20 minutes ago, Maxx said:

It lifts stories from the comics. Your idea of "it seems" is flat out wrong. That's isn't an opinion, your idea of unrelated ninja script is wrong, it literally takes major plot points from the comic series. 

Well in that case, I will take my L on the story elements. It doesn't change my opinion on the quality of the film. I didn't think its was a good film. I felt Snake Eyes came off like a dick and the camera work was terrible. The trailer drew me in despite my reservations and as I mentioned earlier. I'm just a fan of Andrew Koji.

Edit: I felt his "hero turn" came too late in the film and the reaction to him, given his previous actions just didn't work for me. I understand his initial angle for doing what he did but given how he was treated by his "mark". The whole thing didn't add up for me.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of Amber, i have seen people trying to say that any criticism about her is Racism, i kid you not.

BTW, without entering into spoilers for those who have not read the comics, i am 90% sure that Amber being unlikeable is on purpose.

At least is what i think, considering where is very likely the story heading, and what i presume is the route they will have for it to happen.

The only thing i can fault the show though, is that Mark friends gave him shit for not telling her, considering that it makes all the sense in the context of the show.

Side note

Someone pointed out, that Amber only gives Mark attention when he has been hurt, lol.

I agree with Amber's flaws being there on purpose and I am fine with that as she is at least more entertaining the comics version. She does seem the type looking for 'projects' to help or fix so Mark being hurt thing falls in line with that.

But Mark was playing himself with his decisions with her so he gets no pity. I get this is his first girl but damn he put that thang on a pedestal only a flying hero could reach. 

16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Side note

people are questioning racism because shes literally written to fail. they changed her race, and personality. none of which gives her any benefits...it all seems to be on purpose to fail. It just feeds into the idea of the annoying forward loud black girl...with no benefits. She doesnt help mark in any way. She just turns out to being a selfish annoyance who has a giant ego. So if people see a racist trope...i cant fault them.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

people are questioning racism because shes literally written to fail. they changed her race, and personality. none of which gives her any benefits...it all seems to be on purpose to fail. It just feeds into the idea of the annoying forward loud black girl...with no benefits. She doesnt help mark in any way. She just turns out to being a selfish annoyance who has a giant ego. So if people see a racist trope...i cant fault them.

Race has nothing to do with her character and the criticism to it bro.

What i am talking about is people saying is racist and sexist to criticism Amber, because i shit you not, according to those people, she is being criticized because she is woman and/or black.

What you are talking is another thing.

Which tbh, while is an interesting take, is not really the case if you consider that many chars had their race changed to reflect their voice actors and actresses.

So far, i think you are the first that has say something like that.

And tbh, i don't see it.

Since Amber has not been considered a loud piece, and most people liked her and actually sided with her up until the reveal of episode 5, in which recontextualized not as a loud black woman, but as an entitled person who has been giving Mark shit knowing full well that he has been in life threatening situations.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Race has nothing to do with her character and the criticism to it bro.

What i am talking about is people saying is racist and sexist to criticism Amber, because i shit you not, according to those people, she is being criticized because she is woman and/or black.

What you are talking is another thing.

Which tbh, while is an interesting take some people, is not really the case if you consider that many chars had their race changed to reflect their voice actors and actresses.

So far, i think you are the first that has say something like that.

And tbh, i don't see it.

Since Amber has not been considered a loud piece, and most people liked her and actually sided with her up until the reveal of episode 5, in which recontextualized not as a loud black woman, but as an entitled person who has been giving Mark shit knowing full well that he has been in life threatening situations.

amber has no connection to the comic version in race or characterization. 

It can be both an ego thing and a steriotype. Again it's a media trope to use the black female character as a loud mouth who is all about me me me. Had she been this way in comics then you can argue its not that but she was completely changed for the worse. If a million shows use the same exact trope.. When is it not a steriotype? At some point you have to look at all these shows and say... Heyy something isn't right. 

She is being criticized because she's black.. Because it also plays up to those steriotypes they have been fed by the media.