Stage Select

The MMA Thread

1 minute ago, ajyou003 said:

He's booked for main event with Khamzat on the last card of the year now.

I know but that doesn't change anything I've said. They only put him back at number 3 after the Chimaev fight was booked. He's the number 3 guy, fighting an unranked opponent because the ranked guys won't man up and fight him.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

I know but that doesn't change anything I've said. They only put him back at number 3 after the Chimaev fight was booked. He's the number 3 guy, fighting an unranked opponent because the ranked guys won't man up and fight him.

Oh yeah, definitely a big W for Khamzat to book that fight. He wins and he shoots up the rankings. No one wants to fight Khamzat as well because he's looking like a monster. At least it should make for an interesting fight.

• Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: The Diamond Shines at UFC 257
  • Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: The Diamond Shines at UFC 257, Turns Out McGregor's Lights
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So can we finally say that McGregor is overrated without getting side eyed now? People were bending over backward claiming Nate Diaz was elite rather disparage McGregor. Dude is 1-2 at 155. 3-3 in his last six fights. And his only noteworthy win was Eddie Alvarez. 

Meh... He's not overrated imo. He has his nut huggers but he was Def the king for a very long time. 

Yeah but who was nates competition when he lost. It's easy to say this dude has a losing record but you gotta look at who they fought. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So can we finally say that McGregor is overrated without getting side eyed now? People were bending over backward claiming Nate Diaz was elite rather disparage McGregor. Dude is 1-2 at 155. 3-3 in his last six fights. And his only noteworthy win was Eddie Alvarez. 

McGregor's real strength was his promotional ability. Same deal with Rousey. In MMA smaller fighters and women didn't really sell until these two put those divisions on the map. Even now you often see people disparage the smaller fighters, despite the fact that obviously these smaller fighters would rip their heads off.

I don't know what UFC will do without them, their only other mainstream star remaining today is probably Jon Jones and he's crazy.

Conors mouth got him to the dance. But we can't suddenly forget what he did to two divisions top talent. He was for a long time a gawd damn assassin. The onyl two people who had a rise imo that insane have been Conor and Jones. They threw Jones to the wolves from jump. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Meh... He's not overrated imo. He has his nut huggers but he was Def the king for a very long time. 

Yeah but who was nates competition when he lost. It's easy to say this dude has a losing record but you gotta look at who they fought. 

I disagree. Dude has been living off his featherweight glory for years. Most people took Conor in this match. Look at who Dustin has fought since their first fight. Nothing but killers and he only got bopped by Khabib who bops everyone.  King's don"t vacate titles after never defending them in the first place. GSP is an all time great, welterweight king but he wasn't the middleweight king. He never defended his middleweight belt.  Conor was an elite featherweight. He shouldn't even be ranked at 155.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: Cameroonian Nightmare Cracks Stipe, Francis "The Predator" Ngannou New UFC HW Champ!

A very brutal sport to watch, so I have mixed views on people hurting each other and rearranging their faces and ears like that.

On the other hand, I've thought about taking classes for MMA for impersonal reasons of self defense. Unfortunately, I have one bad shoulder, so I don't know how far I could go with this. It still have my interest nonetheless after this pandemic is over.

3 hours ago, axeman61 said:

I'm not into MMA that much, but goddamn it looks scary when Ngannou sleeps someone. Like they got hit with a sledgehammer.

Not sure if it was UFC hype but they say Ngannou's punches have 96 hp. That's more than either of my first two cars. My 82 Ford Fairmount had 86hp. My 86 Cavalier had 85 hp.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, axeman61 said:

This is only kinda MMA related, but Ben Askren lost to Jake Paul. I totally forgot this fight was going to happen.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/18/jake-paul-knockout-was-f-king-embarrassing-for-ben-askren/

Askren too busy making half a million dollars, while having a dad bod and literal dad age, to care.

For real. Dude is only 36, and looks like he partied with the Stones. He's even got a fake hip. Wrestling watermelons is rough.

• Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: UFC 261 Craziness. Usman Turns Out Masvidal's Lights. Rose KO's Weili. Weidman Snaps His Leg!
  • Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: UFC 261 Craziness. Usman Turns Out Masvidal's Lights. Rose KOs Weili. Weidman Snaps His Leg!

I should've bet an extra $5 on Usman, could've won more. oh well, I won $40, I'll take it. I knew he'd win, just wasn't sure how but I took a leap of faith on a KO and won ✊🏾

(Yes, I got sucked back into online betting even tho I said I wouldn't lol) 

Edited by HD-Man

The cross Masvidal caught to end the fight wasn't during a taunt. 

but the dummy taunted after catching a cross 2 or 3 times earlier in the fight. 

Masvidal shoulda spent more time recognizing the cross instead of clowning and he wouldn't of be knocked so hard. 

It's a toss up between Covington and Edwards for Usman next. I'd rather see Edwards, cause he's waaaaay better that he was when they fought in 2015. Covington just switched camps, so it's a toss up at this point if it'll pay off. 

Edwards v Covington to determine who fights for the belt is a good move. Give Usman 6 months off, he just defended his belt twice in 70 days, both with spectacular performances.  

Edwards and Covington only have 2 fights between them in the last 18 months, they gotta earn it against each other imho. Fight in July, then Usman fights the winner in October 

18 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

You're gonna call out Weidman for being a Trump supporter but not Masvidal? 

Oh

It was like masvidal brought trump strat. Appear like you are winning then fail miserably

Covington vs Masvidal 3 trump change

Covington ultimate trumper though white guy who shits on non white trumpers. All while getting patted on the back by dana white for being a racist prick great white hope

Heels

Edited by DrLariat
  • Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: UFC 262. Oliveira Claims UFC Gold In Wild Main Event. Barbosa Unleashes His Mystical Technique on Burgos! O_o
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hey Maxx what you think of the main event? Fight was barely 2 rounds had multiple momentum swings. Each guy look like he had the other cooked until Olivera turned out Chandler's lights.

I think ti was a great main event. But it makes me realize that do Bronx is not gonna hold that belt for long. Lw division is a murders row again... People forget how Savage that landscape is. That main event was a game of inches and either dude could have won. Do Bronx isn't durable... He's a great fighter but he's not the type to take shots too well. So I don't expect him to hold it past maybe 1 or 2 defenses but I barely give him that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Maaaaan 263 is about to be a banger. 

• Izzy is always fun to watch
  • Figgy and Moreno is going to be a war
  • Nate is going to bleed all over the place, and say silly shit on the mic after the fight win or lose 

On the down side, I would not be surprised if all three of these go 25 minutes each, so it'll be a loooooong night. 

• Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: UFC 263. Izzy Retains His Title, Diaz Wins...1 Minute Of A 5 Round Fight, Loses The Other 24, But Somehow Claims Victory