Stage Select

The MMA Thread

1 minute ago, Abbachio said:

I don't even know why they have Cyborg, an entire division and there's only 1 fighter in it that actually fights at that weight.

Cyborg is a draw. She had the third highest PPV from last year. Even her fight against an unknown like Yana Kunitskaya did more than double the PPV numbers of Nunes fight versus Schevchenko. She'd be an even bigger drawn if Dana White didn't spend so much time shitting on her when Rousey was still in the picture.

Women's Featherweight is a thin division. While the UFC was shitting on Cyborg to appease Ronda. Bellator snatched a lot of the thin talent pool. The UFC needs to do a TUF for Women's Featherweight. That is the fastest way to build the division. Women's combat sports doesn't pay that well for the most part. If the UFC showed they were serious about the division, they'd actually be able to draw women for the division from other disciplines and they'd have decent division on their hands in a few years.

A baseline UFC contract that is like 12k to show and another 12k to win would be good money for most women's combat athletes and that just the bottom tier contract. I watch Invicta. A UFC base contract it like 10 times what those girls make.  I think the old ownership would have built the division the right way. WME is just trying throw together money fights. Which was good in the short term but a poor long term plan.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Great night of fights. Penningtion's coach should be ashamed. She said she was done after round 4. Her nose was toast. They shouldn't have sent her back out there.

Yeah I didn't watch the card but heard about that, absolutely disgusting. Their fighter's safety should come first not some carny level bullshit that they pulled. I'd hope they get reprimanded somehow but I doubt that'll happen. 

Yeah I didn't watch the card but heard about that, absolutely disgusting. Their fighter's safety should come first not some carny level bullshit that they pulled. I'd hope they get reprimanded somehow but I doubt that'll happen. 

Yeah it was disgusting. I've watched a lot of Pennington's fights. She's tough as nails. If she says "I'm done" then she's done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: Joaquin Buckley Lands The KO of The YEAR

Lmfao some mma fighter in a mma group tried to call me out about the jump back kick. I was saying it's amazing what you can do when you have good basics. And now people wanna tell me it's not a basic move. 

See what happens.. When you don't have good fundamentals.. People will tell you it's some crazy advanced move only special people can do. Lmfao. Next they gonna tell me Machias front ball kick was some super dark arts move. 

Edited by Maxx

Wait that's this weekend!? Shit how did I miss that? 

Cause the UFC doesn't think Gaethje is a star, is betting on him losing so that Conor/Khabib 2 can go down in March. 

But they might be nervous that Khabib will actually lose, so they don't want him getting beat with a huge audience so the fight in March still sells gangbusters. 

Don't mind me, I'm just trying on my tinfoil hats over here. 

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I had a feeling Khabib would retire. It's a shame to see him go, but I completely understand his position. @MaxxDo you think they make Adesanya/Whitaker 2 now?

Personally no. Dude smoked Whittaker. He has no reason to fight him again. Whittaker wasn't bad pre Israel or bad after. Israel just forces fighters to do stupid things. 

I don't disagree with you. That said, since the Fertita's sold it, the UFC has been  more about less about merit. I mean look at the bullshit they pulled with Leon Edwards. They pulled him from the rankings for "lack of activity." Dude hate a fight cancelled due to COVID and more importantly Ortega didn't fight for two years and was still on the rankings. Edwards is in the same position Usman was before he snagged the belt. He's really good, not well known, so no one ranked above him wants to fight him. 

• Darc_Requiem changed the title to The MMA Thread: Khabib Retires 29-0 after stellar UFC 254 card
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I don't disagree with you. That said, since the Fertita's sold it, the UFC has been  more about less about merit. I mean look at the bullshit they pulled with Leon Edwards. They pulled him from the rankings for "lack of activity." Dude hate a fight cancelled due to COVID and more importantly Ortega didn't fight for two years and was still on the rankings. Edwards is in the same position Usman was before he snagged the belt. He's really good, not well known, so no one ranked above him wants to fight him. 

It's all about points of control. 

-contracted workers

-no outside sponsorship 

-they say who is. Or isn't in the rankings 

-using Rankings to value a fighter even though it means shit for outside org Champs or former Champs coming in. 

It's all a game of how Dana can control the game as much as possible. 

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

He's booked for main event with Khamzat on the last card of the year now.