Stage Select

The MMA Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Tai Emery celebrates her win

You WAY late. I had the video clip of that spoilered the day after it happened. Now for sad news. 

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/ufc-news-elias-theodorou-death-mma-community-mourns-tuf-cancer

Dude was only 34. Crazy man.....fucking cancer.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I'm in my personal best shape of current times, I've wanted to go back to Kick Boxing and Karate, but want to be introduced to judo, and also learn submissions. I think there's an MMA class in Mid city New Orleans. I'll also do broadsword, katana, and other weapon training to further expand my portfolio. This will be fun, scheduled for next year.

Edited by Emptyeyes_
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've been barely keeping up this year but every time I hear about Makhachev, I hear about him whooping somebody's ass. From the fights I've seen, he's like Khabib with better striking.

Lmfao that's true but its still garbage striking 😂 charles had the better striking but got caught 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

Damn! I didn't know there was an MMA thread!

I want to know if anyone follows ONE and if so, how would I go about learning to watch it? What do I have to pay for this?

I can't wait to hopefully start BJJ next month at the gym. I love MMA!

isnt one on amazon? im a black belt in bjj..hit me up if you got any questions

21 minutes ago, Maxx said:

No shit?

In that case:

1. What kind of physicality is expected of me to start BJJ? I realise that a lot of old people work their way up to higher belts, but I'm not sure to what degree that is just promotion for the sake of promotion due to the time they've put in versus how much skill they actually have. To be a dangerous person outside of the gym, what kind of physical attributes should I build up going into training beforehand?
  2. My local gym is $50 a week - $200 a month. Is that fine or is that a ripoff?
  3. What equipment should I buy, how much of it should I buy and how much can I expect to pay for all of it?
  4. Any etiquette tips? Generally speaking I'm already there mentally because of prior experience in combat training but this would be my first grappling sport. What should I keep in mind besides human decency? Any BJJ specific things that the community would be aware of but I wouldn't?
36 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Unless things have changed, I believe One is still on Amazon. @Dayaan Still crazy that Victoria Lee died so young. I feel for her. family.

Edit: Didn't realize you didn't know about Maxx's skill set. Maxx is really knowledgeable. He even knows some stuntmen and fight choreographers.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Still crazy that Victoria Lee died so young.

A memorial for both her and Bonnar on the same day in two different promotions. 😕 Sad week.

8 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Didn't realize you didn't know about Maxx's skill set.

I don't know most things about most things. I'm just a baby!

EDIT:
Also, I don't think the UFC released Ngannou... did they? I was under the assumption that they just made him vacate the title. I believe he is still with the promotion, just not as the current Heavyweight Champion.

Edited by Dayaan
1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

No shit?

In that case:

1. What kind of physicality is expected of me to start BJJ? I realise that a lot of old people work their way up to higher belts, but I'm not sure to what degree that is just promotion for the sake of promotion due to the time they've put in versus how much skill they actually have. To be a dangerous person outside of the gym, what kind of physical attributes should I build up going into training beforehand?
  2. My local gym is $50 a week - $200 a month. Is that fine or is that a ripoff?
  3. What equipment should I buy, how much of it should I buy and how much can I expect to pay for all of it?
  4. Any etiquette tips? Generally speaking I'm already there mentally because of prior experience in combat training but this would be my first grappling sport. What should I keep in mind besides human decency? Any BJJ specific things that the community would be aware of but I wouldn't?

1. nothing is expected of you. your only job is to survive as a white belt. its hard but worth it. they have no expectations of you. just try to be a coachable student. everyone is different, so dont think of promotions the same way you might at a mcdojo. since their are fewer belts than in traditional arts its a longer time period. I dont know if your school has stripes but if not dont get caught up too much on belt shit. if you wanna work out outside of bjj traditional lifts are always good bench,squat,dead. id work alot of your flexibility

2. most schools are 150-200 a month. if you only get to go twice a week its a rip off but if its unlimited or 3-4x a week its about average also depends on where the school is. nicer the area, expect more pricey the school.

3.i dont know if your school has a school specific uniform. some schools require you use their brands(gracies) but others let you go buy it yourself. more than likely they will let you have a cheap starter gi .but i highly recommend origin gis, really high quality stuff and made in america. my head instructor is a co-owner but even so its super legit. mouth guard, tape for small joints, athletic underwear. alot of schools recommend you dont wear a cup because you cant wear one to compete for the most part since it can be used as a tool to help in subs.

4.dont ask higher belts to roll big nono in very traditional schools. bow on and off the mat. breath during rolls...trust me its easy to forget. ask the higher belts where they would like to start in a roll. if your school frowns on cross training/taking classes with friends at other schools it might not be a good school. alot of dos and dont are limited to super traditional brazilian bullshit.  work on technique dont rely on strength.

4 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

A memorial for both her and Bonnar on the same day in two different promotions. 😕 Sad week.

I don't know most things about most things. I'm just a baby!

EDIT:
Also, I don't think the UFC released Ngannou... did they? I was under the assumption that they just made him vacate the title. I believe he is still with the promotion, just not as the current Heavyweight Champion.

hes a free agent. he doesnt technically have a contract with the ufc. so essentially a non employee

6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

1. nothing is expected of you. your only job is to survive as a white belt. its hard but worth it. they have no expectations of you. just try to be a coachable student. everyone is different, so dont think of promotions the same way you might at a mcdojo. since their are fewer belts than in traditional arts its a longer time period. I dont know if your school has stripes but if not dont get caught up too much on belt shit. if you wanna work out outside of bjj traditional lifts are always good bench,squat,dead. id work alot of your flexibility

2. most schools are 150-200 a month. if you only get to go twice a week its a rip off but if its unlimited or 3-4x a week its about average also depends on where the school is. nicer the area, expect more pricey the school.

3.i dont know if your school has a school specific uniform. some schools require you use their brands(gracies) but others let you go buy it yourself. more than likely they will let you have a cheap starter gi .but i highly recommend origin gis, really high quality stuff and made in america. my head instructor is a co-owner but even so its super legit. mouth guard, tape for small joints, athletic underwear. alot of schools recommend you dont wear a cup because you cant wear one to compete for the most part since it can be used as a tool to help in subs.

4.dont ask higher belts to roll big nono in very traditional schools. bow on and off the mat. breath during rolls...trust me its easy to forget. ask the higher belts where they would like to start in a roll. if your school frowns on cross training/taking classes with friends at other schools it might not be a good school. alot of dos and dont are limited to super traditional brazilian bullshit.  work on technique dont rely on strength.

Very helpful, thanks!

Currently doing calisthenics so I'm learning flexibility and strength training together. The pricing seems average which is cool. I don't think they'll give me any equipment so I'll research everything you said. I wouldn't have thought about that rolling etiquette, so thank you! Very helpful.

Just now, Dayaan said:

Very helpful, thanks!

Currently doing calisthenics so I'm learning flexibility and strength training together. The pricing seems average which is cool. I don't think they'll give me any equipment so I'll research everything you said. I wouldn't have thought about that rolling etiquette, so thank you! Very helpful.

what school you going to?

14 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Class act:

Also:

Glover is a true warrior. I don't mean in the way that JBJ is, or the way Khabib was, or the way Gaethje is.

All of them are warriors in their own right, and in their own style.

Glover Texeira would be the type of person who we would be learning about today had he been a fighter in the Roman Coliseum.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Genghis_Dong said:

Sucks to see Fedor go out on a loss but all the legends showing up to see him out was great. 

That pic they posted was subzero levels of cold. A gathering of some of the world's greatest warriors.

I don't appreciate how Dana White reacted to that by demeaning his career by poking fun at how he got knocked out by a middleweight Dan Henderson.

4 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

That pic they posted was subzero levels of cold. A gathering of some of the world's greatest warriors.

I don't appreciate how Dana White reacted to that by demeaning his career by poking fun at how he got knocked out by a middleweight Dan Henderson.

Dana's a bitch

Edit: also fuck him and the slap fight league 

Edited by Genghis_Dong
19 hours ago, Dayaan said:

That might actually be true at the moment...

I'm not sure what kind of beef you guys have against Dana White but he says some stupid things...

The TLDR is he's a greedy lying piece of shit. The long of it.

• Most major sports have a roughly 50/50 split with their athletes. UFC is 81/19 based on documentation from them being sued.
  • He frequently says a fighter is "scared" to take a fight to hide the fact that he was lowballing them on their pay.
  • He'll assign a ludicrous salary demand to a fighter that isn't true to excuse him not making a fight. Example: He claimed Jon Jones wanted 30 million to fight Ngannou. Jones and his agent gave Dana White permission to publish any communication from him showing he demanded that salary. Dana went radio silent.
  • He puts his personal feelings above what's best for business. Example: Cris Cyborg. Despite mistreatment by him and minimal promotion. She outdrew everyone but McGregor in terms of PPVs. She fought a late notice replacement, to save a UFC card no less, and it drew more than Cormier vs. Miocic.

That's just the stuff of the top of my head. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The TLDR is he's a greedy lying piece of shit. The long of it.

• Most major sports have a roughly 50/50 split with their athletes. UFC is 81/19 based on documentation from them being sued.
  • He frequently says a fighter is "scared" to take a fight to hide the fact that he was lowballing them on their pay.
  • He'll assign a ludicrous salary demand to a fighter that isn't true to excuse him not making a fight. Example: He claimed Jon Jones wanted 30 million to fight Ngannou. Jones and his agent gave Dana White permission to publish any communication from him showing he demanded that salary. Dana went radio silent.
  • He puts his personal feelings above what's best for business. Example: Cris Cyborg. Despite mistreatment by him and minimal promotion. She outdrew everyone but McGregor in terms of PPVs. She fought a late notice replacement, to save a UFC card no less, and it drew more than Cormier vs. Miocic.

That's just the stuff of the top of my head. 

Yes, yes.

I know all of this to be true, and I've seen all of it.

I'm not saying he's a good person or that you guys should treat what he does as ok.

I'm just confused as to why you guys have malice or negative feelings towards him. Like I said, he says stupid things, and if it wasn't implied, I can confidently say he does stupid things too. I'm just indifferent to it. All I care about are the fighters and their stories. Why waste emotional bandwidth on a fatty with a batty?

On 2/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, Dayaan said:

Yes, yes.

I know all of this to be true, and I've seen all of it.

I'm not saying he's a good person or that you guys should treat what he does as ok.

I'm just confused as to why you guys have malice or negative feelings towards him. Like I said, he says stupid things, and if it wasn't implied, I can confidently say he does stupid things too. I'm just indifferent to it. All I care about are the fighters and their stories. Why waste emotional bandwidth on a fatty with a batty?

how did you read all that and still ask why we think hes shitty lmfao. bro?