Stage Select

The Trading Card Games Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that's fine, I'll try to get up news about MTG so I'm not always shilling videos:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-announcements-may-11-2022

The banned list for Explorer updates to remove both Winota, Joiner of Forces and Tibalt's Trickery from Explorer. Our full banned and restricted announcement has all the details for the change arriving to MTG Arena tomorrow.

a stream teasing upcoming sets is on Twitch tomorrow.

Ahead of the stream here's my 3 predictions for Dominaria United!

Edited by TheInfernoman
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

I bought some packs but haven't gotten anything that good yet. I admit those cards look amazing. At some point I'll do more PKMN booster pack openings and YGO. 

I’m not sure how long they’ve been doing them. But it’s a sub-set within the core set called Trainer Gallery. It’s usually about 20-30 cards of previously printed cards or alt arts of cards in the new set. 

I have a few of them from older sets like Jasmine with Steelix and Flannery with Torkoal. There’s a few in this set I really want like Jasmine with Bronzong and Misty with Starmie. 

28 minutes ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Never played Yugioh or Pokemon. Over the years been mostly Magic, but dabbled in the following TCGs: Mortal Kombat (1995/1996 red edition), Xena/Hercules, and L5R. Is Pokemon hard to learn compared to Magic? What're you guys' opinions?

L5R is so fucking good. I loved L5R. I never bought into it but a lot of my friends I had growing up played it. So I was always able to play in events regardless. 

YGO is weird. I played it a lot when it first came out. I haven’t played it in probably 15 years. Honestly probably longer. I’ve thought about getting back into it as the years have gone by but the game will either be way too expensive to get back into or the meta will just way too fucking toxic. I don’t wanna drop a few bills on a deck when games are getting decided turn 0 you know? 

As for Pokémon: I’ve played it off and on since the original 1999 base set. The game has a lot more depth than people give it credit for. It’s a very cerebral game imo. 

The game is very match up heavy which makes every card you add count. I know that goes for a lot of games but in Pokémon You don’t have access to any kind of side board/side deck/extra deck, etc. The 60 you build is the 60 you use. Point blank end of story. 

The game also has A LOT of draw engines and tutors. Stuff that MTG and YGO would drool over but not all of them are good or seem good on paper but actually quite bad within the confines of the game

For instance there’s several cards that are “draw 3”. No draw backs except you can’t play multiple a turn due to the card type, which is Supporter. Seems good right? It’s not. Cause there’s way better draw engines out there. There’s a called named Avery that does the same thing (draw 3) but it also brings board control along with it which is “Your opponent discards Pokémon on his or her bench until they only have 3 Pokémon on their bench” (max amount of benches Pokémon you can have is 5) 

Theres also a draw engine that’s just discard your hand draw 7. That card would be mind boggling in any other game but in Pokémon it’s been a staple since more or less the beginning. And even now in the current meta it’s usually a 1-2 of. Very few decks run a full count of the card (Pokémon goes by rule of 4).

Pokémon also doesn’t have a ban list when it comes to standard format. They’ll errata a card if it gets to be too much but I can’t remember a time where they’ve outright banned a card in Standard format. That said, There is a ban list in extended as the card pool is much bigger so you’re able to do a lot more bullshit. 

Bench control is another thing. As Pokémon is 1v1 like the game but with certain cards you can force a switch to take a prize (a prize is when you KO a Pokémon and draw a card from your prize section, which is 6 cards you set aside after drawing the initial 7 for your hand at the beginning of the game. Take all 6 prizes and you win) 

Theres also times you want to be losing as there’s certain cards with comeback mechanics like hand disruption if you’re on the losing end. 

I could go on and on with how great of a game it is and how deep the rabbit hole can go with it. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I haven’t watched the video but I know Thousand eyes restrict is some bullshit. That card is so OP. 

On modern Yugi is actually on the tame side now 🤣

Modern Boss cards are ultra bullshit, with negates out of their asses, and in many occasions also invulnerabilities for whatever your opponent tries to throw at them.

Not even the upgraded version, Millenium Eyes Restrict is considered beyond tame 🤣

Edited by Hecatom

My case of Astral Radiance hasn’t came in yet so I bought what’s called an Elite Trainer Box. Comes with eight boosters, themed dice, sleeves and dividers. I pulled some stuff for decks but they’re more “side project” decks than main decks. 

However, I did pull one of the two trainer art gallery cards I really really wanted 

A382B68F-1A27-4869-A7A7-A75B5AC1C1DC.jpeg

Edited by iStu X

Good read above regarding Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon compared to Magic: The Gathering. Speaking of, just came across this from Wizards:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/your-sneak-peek-double-masters-2022-dominaria-united-and-beyond-2022-05-12

Starting July 1 at WPN game stores around the world, Magic: The Gathering product purchases of $50 USD or more can net you an incredible promo card: a traditional foil retro frame Sol Ring.

Promotional Sol Ring

These promos will only be available while supplies last, so visit your local game store and see what they have for you next!

Wizards Presents is loaded with first looks for the upcoming year of Magic sets—Dominaria United, The Brothers' War, and more—plus a look beyond at upcoming Dungeons & Dragons releases and a few surprises you'll want to be there to see.

Upcoming Magic Releases teaser graphic

I don't know... Dominaria United and The Brothers War  may get me back to the game (currently don't have any Magic cards). Next year is the 30th anniversary!

Off topic: Surprised nobody is doing anything for Mortal Kombat's 30th anniversary this year (maybe we'll hear something in the fall).

On 5/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, TheInfernoman said:

My latest video. I'm also trying to improve my editing skills starting with this video so it's less static than before. 

Why not play also play on  MTGO and play like Pioneer or even better Legacy 🙂 ? I like arena and have actually been playing a ton of explorer with only Maze's End.

Crazy is I don't realize how I rarely use the currency/craft( I will binge drafting sets I enjoy till I hit mythic or when they did like a arena cube kinda stuff I pay that) but I tend to make one deck for a format I want to play and just roll with it for a while lol...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Made this a little while back for fun. Also made an all Magic one I boxed up. But these are my all-time fav cards from the games I enjoyed the most over the years..

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I think I will take some time from Yugi, it is getting me really tilted those last couple of days.

It feels like every goddamn deck I face is a permutation of the same goddamn cards that is not fun to play against, even if you win.

I mean this is why I pop in maybe once a week, then log out lol. I'd like to consider YGO content...but the gameplay patterns seem meh. I know MTG has their share of issues but at least there's variety in formats

9 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I think I will take some time from Yugi, it is getting me really tilted those last couple of days.

It feels like every goddamn deck I face is a permutation of the same goddamn cards that is not fun to play against, even if you win.

YGO’s meta has been insanely unbalanced and toxic for over a decade now. It’s a shame too because the game use to be a lot of fun. 

8 hours ago, JGreen said:

Oh nice. I've never seen a Shattergang deck before. Looks good. For me I mainly have one deck with Lathril as commander and another one using Prosper where I only did a few changes to the precon. I'm planning on bringing my Lathril deck to San Diego Comic Con in case there are any matches to be had. 

I threw my Lathril deck into Moxfield: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/WpSdLeqTbEydLq6qKD1WLQ

Thanks...I made the deck before the new king of sacrifice commanders was created (Korvold) 

Also planning on making my gal her first Commander deck but gotta figure out what she'd like to play.