Stage Select

The Trading Card Games Thread

17 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Anyone going to try this? Comes out 30 years and 1 month after the release of Magic: The Gathering

I work at an LGS that will be a store for official events. I already have a case (4 boxes of 32 packs each iirc), each starter, and each playmat preordered. As soon as we get demo kits for the game we’re going to promote the shit out of it 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, JGreen said:

I’d be interested in it, if I had a solid in person playgroup. Though that kind of goes for all card games. At least with Disney backing it, it might gain enough traction to make an impact into the causal crowd. 

Even if it doesn’t do well in a competitive capacity it’s still going to print money simple due to it being a Disney related product. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, can't believe it's been 30 years. 30 years ago yesterday!!!

Limited Edition Alpha, commonly known as Alpha, is the first print run of Limited Edition, the first core set of Magic: The Gathering. Alpha contains 295 black-bordered cards and was released on August 5, 1993.

Also:

The release date for Disney Lorcana: The First Chapter is August 18, 2023 in the United States. This will be for local game stores, with a mass retail release date following on September 1.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Will this be this generations' Magic The Gathering? The library is called the spellbook. It's called Sorcery: Contested Realm.

An "old school" fantasy card game for players with a rich imagination, tactical nerve and an appreciation for hand-painted art.

Ironic, huh? I mean wizards do magic and sorcerers do sorcery.

Came out almost exactly 30 years after Magic.

Some of the terms a synonyms of Magic. Like instead of a creature with flying it's with airborne.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey so I've looked at vids of modern yugioh. And the game looks to have devolved into the most expensive game of solitaire. So I was thinking of a action mechanic to fix this.

Basically you'd have a number of action tokens. That are used when making moves during your turn and your opponents. Then it resets during your stand by phase. The more impactful an action is the more action tokens are utilized.

I.E a normal summon, declaring an attack, changing battle position is 1 action point. While a non extra deck special summon  is 3 and a extra deck special summon is 5.  Setting a card is 1. Activating and resolving an effect on your turn is 2. And activating and resolving an effect on your opponent's turn is 3.

This is just a rough draft. But the idea is to basically force some thought, strategy and interaction back into the game. As appose to "Herp I go first, either you've opened with hand traps. Or I flood the board with powerful effect negating boss monsters turn 1 and win Derp" Now you'd have to actually think and not over commit to your board. Less you blow your action points on summoning your boss monsters. But no action points left to use effects.