Stage Select

The Shmup Lounge

Hey guys,

Just figured it would be nice to have a thread specifically for Shmups (arcade-style shoot ‘em ups).

Feel free to post about games, scores, tips, what you’re playing/working on, etc - and have fun!

I just bought R-Type Final 4 (PS4) and am very excited! I’m hoping to one day do a no-miss  (no death) run.

Edited by Mattatsu

Just had an interesting idea…

If a few people here are willing, we could do monthly challenges, where we pickup a new shmup (or one we haven’t played in a while) and at the end of the month, we post our best scores, or how far we got with one credit/continue, etc.

MAME games would probably be the best (cheapest) way to go.

I haven’t really put much thought into it, so we’d definitely have to nail down the logistics more, but it sounds like a fun idea.

1 minute ago, Camacho said:

I can't recommend Crimzon Clover enough- hands down my favorite game in the genre.

I appreciate the recommendation! I’ve heard nothing but great things about it.

R-Type Final 2 is the first shmup I’ve played since Ikaruga on the Dreamcast like 17 years ago, and even then, I didn’t play them that much, so I definitely have a lot to catch up on!

46 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Awesome! This is a genre of game that I enjoy but I'm honestly not all that great at. Ikaruga (Gamecube) was the first one that I really latched on to.

I stumbled on this video last night and figured I’d post it for you (or anyone else), if you’re interested:

I am not sure how solid the advice is, but it seems like a good structure that can’t hurt.

I then watched his recommended games for beginners and picked up Natsuki Chronicles and had an absolute blast on easy. Some parts so far were challenging but manageable. It never felt like I couldn’t beat it, and it was usually pretty clear why I died. It just seems like a good game to really dig into. There are quite a few beginner UI options, but honestly, I disabled most of them as they were putting too much on the screen, taking my attention away from the enemies and bullets.

I have a feeling I’m really going to love getting back into this genre. I’ve always loved fast-paced games with an emphasis on movement, and replaying a short game while trying to perfect my run is right up my alley. Plus the OSTs have so far been awesome. It also feels really nice to play these on stick.

The makers of Natsuki Chronicles, Qute, (Prnonounced Cute) make great shmups. One of their older games (360 era) got ported to modern hardware and Steam with Eschatos. I highly recommend Eschatos if you liked Natsuki Chronicles. It's Vert instead of Hori, but I think it's Qutes work to this date. It's a real roller coaster ride. 

I also have to second Chrimzon Clover really really hard that's one of the best Shmups of the last 10 years easily. 

RollingGunner and it's update Overpowered  are also well worth the money. 

Edited by RSG3

If you like going for high scores, Arcade Archives OMEGA FIGHTER is excellent. There are only two weapon types, one for wide, long range shooting and another for slim, close range shooting. The closer you are to enemies when you kill them the higher score you earn. You can also kamikaze at the right time and get a huge score boost. This shooter was way ahead of it's time

Also WHY IS BATTLE GAREGGA NOT ON THE MF SWITCH YET??!!!

disney rage GIF

5 hours ago, RegH81 said:

So, any of ya'lls got dat SOL CRESTA yet? I wanna get it but $40 for a digital version HURTS.

I have not because I want the physical. Reviews for it also pushed me away from spending 40 on it digitally. It looks and sounds cool but has some issues making me lean away from spending that much digitally. 

On 3/31/2022 at 9:12 AM, DoctaMario said:

Do/have any of you guys play Rival Megagun?

I think I had that on my wish list. Need to take a look at it again.

Any of you guys hear about ASTRO NINJA MAN DX? It's a Famicom/NES game that from what I've seen is quite impressive. Also, the soundtrack is an absolute BANGER.

Edited by RegH81

Haha, that game looks dope! I may have to find that rom.

speaking of old games, I played the original Raiden 1 arcade last night and holy F that game is ridiculous! It was the first shmup I played (the grocery store my grandma went to used to have a cabinet of it, 30-odd years ago)… I remember dying a lot and being out of quarters very quickly…. I was expecting to breeze through the first few levels now that I’m older, but nope, lol. Got absolutely smoked early on.

Edited by Mattatsu

I've been messing around with these kind of games lately.  I'm really horrible at them but I'm actually having a lot of fun with them lately.

Here is a game I tried a couple/few weeks ago.  Compared to some of the other games I've tried this one seems...easy.(?)  Shit's hard to me but other games seem harder.  Pretty cool for a cheap indie. 

You all remember Heavy Barrel? First time I saw it was at a 7-Eleven. Every time you get a weapon the game announcer says "attack". Then when you get the heavy barrel the game announcer says "HEAVY BARREL!!!!!" and all hell breaks lose with the god gun.

Don't know if Shinobi is a "arcade-style shoot ‘em up" because any direct attack from an enemy or an enemy weapon kills you in one shot (no life bars) and such or a combination of a platformer, shoot 'em up, and beat 'em up. Speaking of which. These sounds from 1987 are still great!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing a lot of shmups lately. Ended up getting Deathsmiles and have been going pretty hard learning the scoring system and being efficient with it which has been a lot of fun. Game is super addicting and I have about 50 hours on it for only having it about a month which is a lot for me.

My brother plays a lot too and we decided to start learning Ikaruga so doing that as well. The game really reveals itself when you play it for score rather than just survival.

I've lucked into some sales too in the eShop and picked up Shokhondo, Caladrius Blaze, Danmaku Unlimited 3, and a few others pretty cheap. Still never made it past that last level of Jamestown+ but maybe I'll go back and try again. My shmup skills have gotten better since I was playing that game so maybe it'll be an easier go now. Same with Vasara, I need to give that one another spin.

Edited by DoctaMario

COTTON Fantasy's multiple characters change the gameplay. The girl that has to rely on time to keep going definitely feels like the game's hard mode since getting hit, makes you lose time. I also like that after the first stage, you can select your next level and you get more levels to choose from, essentially letting you pick how you make it to the final stage.

Death Smiles I&II on the 22nd! I'm stoked because I have always wanted to play these games. Switch version, of course.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:02 AM, RegH81 said:

COTTON Fantasy's multiple characters change the gameplay. The girl that has to rely on time to keep going definitely feels like the game's hard mode since getting hit, makes you lose time. I also like that after the first stage, you can select your next level and you get more levels to choose from, essentially letting you pick how you make it to the final stage.

Death Smiles I&II on the 22nd! I'm stoked because I have always wanted to play these games. Switch version, of course.

Deathsmiles 1&2 is already out on Switch, but it comes out next week on Steam

On 6/15/2022 at 12:42 PM, YourFavGrandpa said:

from my understanding, they could not get the game running full speed on Switch. Which is why it's on PS4 (and subsequently expensive to import, as there's only the Korean version)

I imported it from Play-Asia long ago, then I lucked out and found an unopened limited collector’s edition, so I gave the Korean edition to my goddaughter. I also bought her Play-Asia’s Deathsmiles special edition (Switch) as her Christmas present. If Strictly Limited still has their collector’s editions available, I might go and snag one.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:52 PM, Faltimar the Dark said:

Anyone played this?  https://store.steampowered.com/app/347160/Steredenn/        Any good?

Death Smiles I&II out on Steam today.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/1884300/Deathsmiles_III/

I thought it was out tomorrow.  You know me, I dont need a physical version.  Hope its not a crappy port.

It's probably the best port that's come so far in a lot of ways. I ended up buying the older port on steam because I found a code for it for $5 but the slowdown actually speeds up in some places and it's based off the 360 port that was patched to include the right speeds. However, this port was never patched.

But this new port is great and has very little input lag. They really knocked this one out of the park.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:54 PM, hanzohattori12 said:

If Strictly Limited still has their collector’s editions available, I might go and snag one.

iirc, I have a PS4 copy on order with them but I've heard exactly nada on when it'll ship

edit: Does anyone know if both Psikyo collections are available in NA on Switch? Looks like I'm importing both Psikyo collections from Amazon Japan on Switch, because fuck people scalping the English versions of those collections. 

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
who are you, my fucking mother?
11 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

iirc, I have a PS4 copy on order with them but I've heard exactly nada on when it'll ship

edit: Does anyone know if both Psikyo collections are available in NA on Switch? Looks like I'm importing both Psikyo collections from Amazon Japan on Switch, because fuck people scalping the English versions of those collections. 

I think you should check out the electric underground‘s review on them, first.

The Allstars Collections have some input lag, but I've beat a few of them on Switch myself. I like Mark and it's a good thing he does the input tests (Smhup Junkie does the same)  so we can catch games like Cotton 2 Collection, but yes also a liiiiittle too picky about it as well imo. Kinds reminds me when the Ibara Port dropped on PS2 and people complained it was unplayable to the point the world record holder got annoyed and set a new World Record on the PS2 port specifically to get them to shut up and just play the thing lol. 

Anyway Electric Underground is great and worth watching I just think hes a bit over harsh on stuff with 3 to 4 frames of input lag. Just take the time to make the slight adjustment needed and they are perfectly playable. 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, RSG3 said:

The Allstars Collections have some input lag, but I've beat a few of them on Switch myself. I like Mark and it's a good thing he does the input tests (Smhup Junkie does the same)  so we can catch games like Cotton 2 Collection, but yes also a liiiiittle too picky about it as well imo. Kinds reminds me when the Ibara Port dropped on PS2 and people complained it was unplayable to the point the world record holder got annoyed and set a new World Record on the PS2 port specifically to get them to shut up and just play the thing lol. 

Anyway Electric Underground is great and worth watching I just think hes a bit over harsh on stuff with 3 to 4 frames of input lag. Just take the time to make the slight adjustment needed and they are perfectly playable. 

For once, I agree with you. He’s kind of like the soup nazi of shumps.

2 minutes ago, hanzohattori12 said:

For once, I agree with you.

What have we disagreed on? Just curious.

2 minutes ago, hanzohattori12 said:

He’s kind of like the soup nazi of shumps.

Bro i never thought of it like that but its pretty spot on lol.

I will say his recent review on Shredders Revenge was kinda terrible and made me think i should perhaps only pay attention to his Shmup reviews.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...