Stage Select

The Shmup Lounge


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

Yo, I have like A TON of different weapons in Radiant Silvergun! It's almost too much to take in. @RSG3 Help Me Cat GIF

Hahaha yea this is a pro Shmup. Treasure ain't fuckin around lol. 

 

For early game learning I would recommend picking 3 weapons you like and using them consistently. Once you feel comfy with them start adding more. I'm gonna recommend the Vulcan Gun as one of your starters because it's good the entire game, it's simple and easy to understand since it just shoots forward. 

 

Also don't sleep on the Sword. Don't count it as one of your 3 weapons, you want to use the Sword when you can. It obsorbs pink bullets to power up your bomb (the blue bar on the left hand side by default) and the sword shares exp across all your weapons. It's also really strong. You can tap it to make sword swings but you can also hold the button and keep the sword deployed. It will swing in the opposite direction you move when held out and can 360 circle around the ship. 

 

Also while chaining is important don't like...super sweat it, you're learning so it's fine to miss chains. Reds are the most common and who I recommend yoy focus your chains on majority of the time when going for them. There is a special chain that's 1 of each color. Nets you a special chain bonus. An easy way to test this is right when the game starts you get a wave of each color. Just kill one of each. 

 

After that it's a fuckload of practice and watching people's replays for routes and shit. There are a metric fuckton of tricks and techniques for this game so don't be afraid to watch replays and see what people do. Your jaw will drop at some.peoples starts and you'll get excited to run off and test em yourself, or at least I almost always am. 

 

Mark from Electric Underground has a decent starter video on the game as well. Some good advice in here. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Hahaha yea this is a pro Shmup. Treasure ain't fuckin around lol. 

 

For early game learning I would recommend picking 3 weapons you like and using them consistently. Once you feel comfy with them start adding more. I'm gonna recommend the Vulcan Gun as one of your starters because it's good the entire game, it's simple and easy to understand since it just shoots forward. 

 

Also don't sleep on the Sword. Don't count it as one of your 3 weapons, you want to use the Sword when you can. It obsorbs pink bullets to power up your bomb (the blue bar on the left hand side by default) and the sword shares exp across all your weapons. It's also really strong. You can tap it to make sword swings but you can also hold the button and keep the sword deployed. It will swing in the opposite direction you move when held out and can 360 circle around the ship. 

 

Also while chaining is important don't like...super sweat it, you're learning so it's fine to miss chains. Reds are the most common and who I recommend yoy focus your chains on majority of the time when going for them. There is a special chain that's 1 of each color. Nets you a special chain bonus. An easy way to test this is right when the game starts you get a wave of each color. Just kill one of each. 

 

After that it's a fuckload of practice and watching people's replays for routes and shit. There are a metric fuckton of tricks and techniques for this game so don't be afraid to watch replays and see what people do. Your jaw will drop at some.peoples starts and you'll get excited to run off and test em yourself, or at least I almost always am. 

 

Mark from Electric Underground has a decent starter video on the game as well. Some good advice in here. 

 

 

 

 

Huh. KNEW there was something I liked about the sword. I knew you would be the dude to go to. Anyone that has a username that LITTERALLY means Radiant Silvergun has gotta know stuff about said game.

 

i owe you GIF

Link to comment
On 9/17/2022 at 9:50 AM, hanzohattori12 said:

 

 I can't figure out why it's been such a big deal to port and actually sell this game, especially when Ikaruga is already on there and RS is something you could emulate. I've been wanting to play it again for awhile but I may just go RetroArch on it rather than wait for this port to actually drop.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

 I can't figure out why it's been such a big deal to port and actually sell this game, especially when Ikaruga is already on there and RS is something you could emulate. I've been wanting to play it again for awhile but I may just go RetroArch on it rather than wait for this port to actually drop.

There seems to be a sound bug, music's not looping properly in our version so they removed it.

 

they did something similar with Mushihimesama, just be patient it will be back. 

 

Or you could emulate it but even with a good rig it's decently laggy...

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Finally beat Danmaku Unlimited 3 today. Granted, on Easy, but I'd been stuck at that last boss for awhile. Feelgoodman!

 

Now if only I could wax that alien asshole at the end of Jamestown+

I still haven't beat Dan III, even on easy, that games hard. It's great but it's no joke either imo. 

Link to comment
33 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I still haven't beat Dan III, even on easy, that games hard. It's great but it's no joke either imo. 

There are only a few spots in the levels that I have a tough time with on Easy. The bosses are pretty tough, especially the 4th one. That one is pretty nuts what with the phase where you have to hide behind the moving barriers it throws out whole it shoots lasers. It's a fun game though, and something about it keeps me coming back even though on paper it doesn't seem like it breaks the mold as far as shmups go.

 

 

I played Astebreed too. Not sure how I feel about it tbh, it doesn't vibe with me the way DU or even Senko No Ronde 2 do. It's good in it's way, but I don't get that comeback feeling with it like I do others. Maybe I'll just move on from that one.

Link to comment
On 10/6/2022 at 5:24 AM, RSG3 said:

I dont dig Astebreed that much either, only shmup with constantly changing perspectives i really like is Eschatos.

Yeah it just doesnt grab me somehow. On paper I feel like I should like it but....

 

I payed Raiden V today for the first time and while I like it a good bit, it has that same thing Astebreed had where there are characters chattering over the intercom while I'm killing shit, which is annoying because it isn't like I can pay attention to what they're saying while I'm playing.

 

I'll have to check out Eschatos though, my brother loves that game and keeps telling me how good it is.

 

You ever play any Rival Megagun at all?

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to comment

I hate Raiden V. That game makes my eyes hurt, Stage 1s 3D buildings scrolling by really stresses out my eyes for some reason. You can turn off the character chatter in the options menu and I recommend it because they are saying fucking nothing of value. Bitching about coffee and shit. You are missing nothing. 

 

Eschatos is fantastic imo. 

 

I've never played Rival Megagun but it looks like a cool twist on the Twinkle Star Sprites formula. 

Edited by RSG3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

I hate Raiden V. That game makes my eyes hurt, Stage 1s 3D buildings scrolling by really stresses out my eyes for some reason. You can turn off the character chatter in the options menu and I recommend it because they are saying fucking nothing of value. Bitching about coffee and shit. You are missing nothing. 

 

Eschatos is fantastic imo. 

 

I've never played Rival Megagun but it looks like a cool twist on the Twinkle Star Sprites formula. 

Yeah I caught a bit of the dialogue and was like "Wtf is this noise?" I have Raiden IV x Mikado and that's the one people talk up so I figured I'd start with V so that I don't wind up playing it right after the most celebrated entry. Gotta say, I really like Moss' games a lot though. Caladrius Blaze is a great game and while I don't think Raiden V is the best, I still liked it on some level. Gonna have to beat it with the other ships though.

 

If you feel curious about Rival Megagun, grab the Switch version and we can play sometime. It's actually a lot of fun and is pretty deep for what it is.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select