Stage Select

Soul Calibur Thread - Return of Neclord's Waifu

Fucking Cloud Strife? Really. I can't get away from FFVII. Most overrated game of all time. Why bitch ass identity thief Cloud is an icon is beyond me. Steals his boys identity (Zack), Emo as hell, Beats Aerith like he's Greg Hardy, Stands by why she gets skewered, but hey he has wields a huge sword. That he stole from Zack. Bonus points for, going to Zack's hometown, seeing his parents, and never telling them what happened to their son. Of course I wouldn't want to say, He saved me from Hojo, was taking me to Midgar, and I layed on the ground like a simp, instantly recovered after Shin-ra rolled out, stole his sword, identity, and his girl to them either.  Extra bonus points to Tifa. She barely knew Cloud existed when they were kids and she risks the safety of Avalanche when she knew his backstory was complete bullshit.

:tldr: Fuck FFVII game was shit.

Counter :tldr: :

FFVII is one of those games that has been blown way out over the years because a) it was one of the last big things Square made that really resonated with people, and b) at least in NA it hit at the perfect time for an entire generation to have that be their first JRPG experience (and for a lot of those people it was also their first real exposure to Japanese gaming media that way).

Point 'a' has led SE to trot it out over and over because its an easy way to make a buck. Point 'b' means that SE can keep on making those bucks for a long time.

I try to have an even mind about FFVII but I came to the series really early (technically at FF1 but the one I really played was FFIV) so FFVII has always to me been the pretty okay game where the series started to turn away from what I like.

All that random shit aside, this makes sense. Namco has already been collaborating with SE on stuff like getting Noctis into T7 so the door is open. And for as much as I don't give a fuck about not-Guts and his shitty bishi rival I cannot deny that including those characters in the game is an easy way to double? triple? the sales of the game just by pulling in the fanboys. Heck you can already see Namco doing it with pulling in Geralt. If you're going to tap guest characters, make 'em count.

And look on the bright side: destroying shitty Cloud/Sephiroth players online would be really satisfying. 🙂

Quick aside, the FFVII was my first RPG argument is BS as well. Dragon Quest 1 was my first RPG. I'm not running around proclaiming it the greatest ever. FFVII was the first JRPG to get a massive as campaign in the West. Sony didn't have their own titles. So they pushed third party exclusives. FFVII proved that RPGs could  sale if you actually advertised them. It's the one thing I always gave FFVII credit for. Although in hindsight Sony deserves the credit. Unlike Square, they believed in the genre enough to put money behind a marketing campaign. Square once again benefitted from a platform makers effort. Nintendo believing in FF1 and Sony in FFVII.

:tldr: Nostalgia is no excuse for overrating FFVII. It's success was due to Sony's ad campaign not the quality of the game.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

FFVIII has the most customizable system out of any FF game.

GF abilities mean you can give any character any ability or trait you want.  No character is trapped into a specific play style.  Junctioning magic to stats means you can give characters resistance to status effects, cause elemental damage with normal attacks, and increase their base stats.  It's all completely up to you and you can change it at any time.

Zell has fighting game inputs, Squall's normal attacks require precise timing, and Irvine's limit break requires you to make special bullets.

FFVIII is also the first FF game with a card game built in.

Easily the most interesting game, and one that let you do whatever you want.  Most people were too scared of something new and cried...then we got FFIX, which while a great game is also the most boring mechanics-wise.  It's basically a SNES FF.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On paper Tira seems like exactly the kind of character I should fall for but everything is a miss for me. Never really liked her much myself.

Also apparently she *isn't* a pre-order bonus. She is going to be included as a bonus character in the season pass which....just sounds like the season pass has another character in it? Not sure why they're trying to tart that up as a bonus. Can also purchase separately as usual.

I'm really tired of DLC being ready before the game is done. DLC was supposed to be additional content.  I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have the base game prices be higher so I can get the full game. DLC was not intended to be used to siphon off parts of the base game to sell back to the customer at additional cost.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Hell I remember a time when all this stuff was called an "expansion pack". 👴

I'm with you on that but I think the market doesn't support it unfortunately. The current market culture is is to get people in the door however you can then offer enough DLC/microtransactions to pile up 💰 over time. Raising the up front cost would theoretically offset the "need" of devs to use DLC to turn a profit but that weighs against the units lost by the higher cost, and frankly the model has been so damn effective that they'd still drown us in DLC even if they raised the price. 

Its sort of extra complicated when it comes to fighting games because theoretically you want access to all the chars to lab stuff. Feels like more of a shakedown for me.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm really tired of DLC being ready before the game is done. DLC was supposed to be additional content.  I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have the base game prices be higher so I can get the full game. DLC was intended to be used to siphon off parts of the base game to sell back to the customer at additional cost.

That's not how this works though.

They plan DLC and the game at the same time.  Then they work in parallel if possible.  DLC was never going to be part of the base game.  It's going to be released later or not made at all.  The fact that it is DLC is what allows room for it to exist in the budget in the first place.

14 minutes ago, misterBee said:

That's not how this works though.

They plan DLC and the game at the same time.  Then they work in parallel if possible.  DLC was never going to be part of the base game.  It's going to be released later or not made at all.  The fact that it is DLC is what allows room for it to exist in the budget in the first place.

I know how it works. I just don't agree with it. I'm old enough to remember when PC games got real "DLC" in the form of expansion packs. The closest thing I see to that is the Torna The Golden Country DLC for Xenoblade 2.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I know how it works. I just don't agree with it. I'm old enough to remember when PC games got real "DLC" in the form of expansion packs. The closest thing I see to that is the Torna The Golden Country DLC for Xenoblade 2.

Things were not really any better in the old days.  In fact things were worse.  Old-school expansion packs were just DLC sold in stores.  In addition to needing the budget to build your expansion, you also needed to advertise/release to retail/etc.  It was HARDER to bring expansions out because it was almost like releasing a whole new mini game to store shelves every time.

Old school expansions were just BIG DLC, because smaller stuff would never have warranted space on a retail shelf.  Instead of hating on DLC you should really just be advocating for bigger, more expansive DLC.  DLC on its own is totally fine and I think gaming would be worse off without it.

Small cosmetic DLC and the like might seem like nickle and diming, but at least it exists, and those who want it can buy it.  In the old days these types of small expansions/tweaks simply wouldn't exist at all.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Cervantes definitely looks good. Lots more shooting than I remember but if I brought a pistol sword to a fight I'd probably shoot everyone a bunch too.

Season pass says 3 playable characters along with a bonus, which I thought was Tira. Will be interesting to see who the other 3 will be.

Tira is included if you pre-order the Season Pass, but not she's exclusive to it; You can purchase her on Day 1 as DLC.

As far as the other playable characters go... I think one of them will be either Cassandra or Setsuka, while the only male character that I can think of that's DLC-worthy would be Lizardman's Soul Calibur V design and moveset. (Twin axes, wings, fire-breathing etc. etc.) I also feel like a full-on bare-handed fighter, like Heihachi in the PS2 port of Soul Calibur II and the Devil Jin moveset that was exclusive to Created Characters in Soul Calibur V could be up for consideration as well.

Lastly, I think a Samurai Shodown character will be a guest in SCVI and vice-versa. I want to say Genjuro and Yoshimitsu on that, respectively? But then again SamSho could get a Fighting Layer: EX character like Hayate or Garuda... It's exciting to think about the future of these games, huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Network test this weekend on Xbox1 and PS4. Looking around online it sounds like folks can start downloading the client Thursday at 8:00AM PDT.

Test period starts Friday at 8:00AM PDT and ends Sunday at 8:00PM PDT.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/soulcalibur-vi-network-test

Looking at the "control manual"s they have posted at the bottom it looks like the network test will include all characters announced through Tira (16 chars total). I'm gonna try to hop online and Voldo some folks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having too much fun with this game right now. I'm still not completely comfortable going online yet (Not that I honestly can, but that's another story), but just messing around in the single-player modes just makes me kind of feel a warm, fuzzy feeling inside I had been missing playing other fighting games.

Also, I'm addicted to the character creator.

aC5U8vN.jpg

O6kBaB6.jpg

KdmbhXh.jpg

hGjoLzE.jpg

WkMPHVZ.jpg

Fucking a-men.

With the caveat that I respect the mechanical complications, fighting games are so damn niche already and it really sucks to further silo players per platform. Spend somea that waifu money on crossplay!

Also still haven't picked this up yet. Real life complications. But I'm still planning on grabbing it. Hopefully by the time things settle back down for me I can snatch it up in a holiday sale or something.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Just got back.  I should buy the game on PC and PS4, but I have a brand new XBO-X and it seems a waste to play it on the inferior PS4...

Wish it had crossplay so I wouldn't have to worry about such things. 🙁

This is the reason my XB1X is dusty 4K Blu Ray player. If a game has multiplayer, I'm not getting it on Xbox.

29 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I assume everyone is playing this on PS4?

Yeah, although I spend most of my time in the Character Creator. Couldn't sleep. Made these during my insomnia.

Blade Nia (figured out how to do her core crystal)

apoDtWC.jpg

Driver Nia (Not really a possible, did the best I could)]

W9xwTKf.jpg

Driver Nia vs Blade Nia

m4A0DBM.jpg

Captain Marvel (Shazam)

0AkTyKz.jpg

Supergirl

RjIJCBa.jpg

Powergirl (probably could be done better)

jH2DqJ2.jpg

Superman (Had to use a 5 didn't see an S anywhere)

RBg29QA.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem