Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

The favoritism and milking of its affiliated characters?

Yes? SF2 is the golden goose for Capcom - it begs most attention, its characters come back more often and are featured in more media, its got most versions and ports over the years, IV was its direct sequel, 3 initially flopped because of a lack of 2's roster members, all the merchandise typically is connected to 2, and so on and so forth 

Same with FF7 for Square - look how much that game got milked during the peak of its popularity with a hundred spinoffs and shit, and how after the remake came back Squenix again pushes everything around 7 to the public

Imma be honest, the last people who should be talking about Golden Goose stuff is NRS stans. Y'all motherfuckers live in a world that is only about MK1. At least Capcom made multiple different fighting games. Even the other games NRS has made still have mortal kombat in them.

If there is a company trying to squeeze the shit out of one thing, its NRS. Like goddamn, MK1 didn't even age half as well as SF2 gameplay wise.

14 hours ago, Sonero said:

Holy shit I hate how fucking stupid the FGC is now:

image.png

How is this not true epically in relation to FF7? Both are milked hella hard. Capcom would never wholesale stop giving space to SF2 no matter how old the franchise is. You don't see Tekken or MK doing ads for the first fucking games when the new one drops. You don't see PS1 Kazuya on energy drink cans.

11 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

From where is that chat?

here is my hot take

Alpha 3 is Capcom's FF7 haha

sfalpha3-sq2-1642194005417.jpg

because A3 is the most popular given retro SF title by many but it wasn't the most celebrated because of gameplay but rather than the content and character count which is why its a favorite mentioned. It's not better and it isn't the worst either in terms of an SF gameplay.

lol FF7 didn't revolutionize the JRPG scene and it was just a pop culture phenomena.

FF8 became the popular character template that every other character protagonist became like squall and rinoa's facial features that even tifa became more Rinoa in advent reiteration.

While SF2 revolutionize FG games and also a pop culture phenomena, that it became the template of many 90s FGs from gameplay fundamentals and character base roster. it even create tons of clones just like Doom.

This post is delusional. FF8 has how many games set in it's world? Hell FF10 has 2 games and FF13 has 3. FF7 is literally THE PS1 RPG. 

Alpha 3 is not he most popular within the franchise SF2 literally set the world ablaze lmao

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

How is this not true epically in relation to FF7? Both are milked hella hard. Capcom would never wholesale stop giving space to SF2 no matter how old the franchise is. You don't see Tekken or MK doing ads for the first fucking games when the new one drops. You don't see PS1 Kazuya on energy drink cans.

FF7 was stuck with a bad PC or and confined to Sony platforms until recently. SF2 has released, re-released, and thrown in compilations ad naseum. Of the top of my head SF2 was on....

SNES

Genesis

TG-16

3DO

Gameboy

Gameboy Advance

Sega Master System (Yes it got an offical port)

PC

Commodore 64

Saturn

PS1 

PS2

PS3

Xbox

Xbox 360

Xbox One

PS4

Switch

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Forgot the 360 and PS3
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

FF7 was stuck with a bad PC or and confined to Sony platforms until recently

It being confined to a system  doesn't destroy the claim that FF7 is the equivalent of SF2 in terms of relevance 

FF7

FF7 (PS4)

FF7 (PC)

FF7 (IOS)

FF Anthology on (IOS)

FF7: G-Bike

Dirge of Cerberus

FF7: Remake trilogy 

Crises Core

Crises Core: Reunion 

Before Crises 

Advent Children + Plus the constant rereleases  

Ehrgeiz  (Literally shilled FF7 reps) 

Shilled in Kingdom Hearts

Shilled in every the spinoff mobile games like Brave Exvius

Got into Smash over every other FF rep

Returned to Smash over every other FF rep

FF7 got a random faux demo for the PS3 just to show off the engine

FF7 Remake was in the same never ever camp as Team Fortress 3/ Portal etc

I feel like you have to be blind to reality to act like FF7 is not comparable to SF2 in terms of the studio being willing to shill it as the flagship game. It's literally the most well known FF lmao

This post is delusional. FF8 has how many games set in it's world? Hell FF10 has 2 games and FF13 has 3. FF7 is literally THE PS1 RPG. 

Alpha 3 is not he most popular within the franchise SF2 literally set the world ablaze lmao

I never said FF8 was something of a game phenoma or something pop cultural, FF8 protagonist Squall and Rinoa just made the standard of facial design compare to Cloud. There more Squall & Tifa Alike protagonist than Spiky blonde Cloud alike.

yet FF7 is the popculture phenomena and i believe the SF2 equivalent of FF is no other than the japanese FF3 because it was the innovator of the whole FF series.

FF1 and FF2 is more like SF1 while FF3 introduced the series of JRPG turn based staple like chocobos, summon, class/jobs, moogles? Correct me if im wrong with one or two with FF3 but the thing is FF3 pioneered MANY of FF series popular turn based rpg gameplay mechanics. FF3 revolutionize FF just like SF2 revolution FG genre.

Yes SF2 is the most popular but during the 96-2006 era it was A3 that has more recent updates like Max, Upper and Double Upper it was A3 that was most mentioned and love by the SF normies community than SF2 in fact HSF2 wasnt popular to the SF normies community.

FF normies love to mentioned FF7 as there favorite in 90- early 2k era thats why I used A3 as the equivalent. HDRemix was in was aftermath the dark age FGC.

So the best comparison for me was A3 because it was the most mentioned like the best SF by normies like they like the gameplay because of diverse ism but in truth they have no real idea about the real indepth gameplay its all about V-ISM... lol. if you visit Capcom Unity/ BSS thats the common things people mentioned there in the  FGC DARKAGES 2004-2008 I know @Darc_Requiem probably seen that.

SF2 stopped being normies favorite SF during FGC darkage and many didnt even notice HSF2 while A3 gets a lot of versions in the dark age era of fgc. HDremix was aftermath and did you that it was even supposed to be A3 hdremix instead of SF2 but they have a hard time.

every SF normies love to mentioned A3 as the best SF in FGC darkage circa 2003-2006

another thing SF2 didnt get ported in GBC and PSP, while A3 has more variation during that era. that's why its FF7 because SF2 was dead to casual normies in that time

edit yes SF2revival was in GBA but SF normies cared more with another A3 in GBA, or choose A3 over SF2R. plus HSF2 never made it to PSP

another info did you there was a korean based A3 with slightly revised sprites and has online featured in 2003 LOL

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

It being confined to a system  doesn't destroy the claim that FF7 is the equivalent of SF2 in terms of relevance 

FF7

FF7 (PS4)

FF7 (PC)

FF7 (IOS)

FF Anthology on (IOS)

FF7: G-Bike

Dirge of Cerberus

FF7: Remake trilogy 

Crises Core

Crises Core: Reunion 

Before Crises 

Advent Children + Plus the constant rereleases  

Ehrgeiz  (Literally shilled FF7 reps) 

Shilled in Kingdom Hearts

Shilled in every the spinoff mobile games like Brave Exvius

Got into Smash over every other FF rep

Returned to Smash over every other FF rep

FF7 got a random faux demo for the PS3 just to show off the engine

FF7 Remake was in the same never ever camp as Team Fortress 3/ Portal etc

I feel like you have to be blind to reality to act like FF7 is not comparable to SF2 in terms of the studio being willing to shill it as the flagship game. It's literally the most well known FF lmao

We were talking about how "milked" FF7 is in relation to SF2. We aren't talking about relevance. Although if you really wanted to go there. FF7 popularized RPGs in the West. SF2 is responsible for fighting games being popular period. Back to matter at hand, FF7 isn't as milked as SF2. If I broke SF2 releases like you did and there in guest appearances, anime, comics. etc. I'd have post that would make Dime blush. At work, so I can't do this full but just for example.

SF2: WW (Arcade)

SF2: CE (Arcade)
SF2: HF (Arcade)

SSF2 (Arcade)

SSF2:T (Arcade)

SF2: WW (SNES)

SF2: WW (MS-DOS)

SF2: WW (Amiga)

SF2: WW (Atari ST)

SF2: WW (Amstrad CPC)

SF2: WW (Commodore 64)

SF2: WW (ZX Spectrum)

SF2: WW (Gameboy)

Do, I have to go on?

4 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

Yes? SF2 is the golden goose for Capcom - it begs most attention, its characters come back more often and are featured in more media, its got most versions and ports over the years, IV was its direct sequel, 3 initially flopped because of a lack of 2's roster members, all the merchandise typically is connected to 2, and so on and so forth 

yes it was before A3 take over, and it stopped during the darkage that in 98 to 2006 no normies cared much with SF2 that much anymore to normies. HSF2 was a dead game to SF normies it wasnt even release on PSP nor released on virtual console

if USF2 didnt have those edge lord characters SF normies wouldnt care on it. those guys arent into competitive or 1:1 perfect ports those are into content and tons of characters. the aftermath of fgc darkage is when SF2 gets a bit of love again from SF normies but if there is simultenous released of A3 with new modes and sf2 new modes in nintendo switch while needing to choose one over the other. many normies would go for A3.

Edited by Shakunetsu

I think the comparison about FF7 being milked as much as SF2 is a fair one.  Both games have a shit load of iterations, can't be argued.  However, SF2 was kind of the birth of fighting games and FF7 while amazingly popular, really only got things going in the West.  Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were already hugely popular in the East.  And are we just going to forget about FF4, FF6 and Chrono Trigger?  All three are incredibly games on par with FF7, especially the last two.  

29 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

yes it was before A3 take over, and it stopped during the darkage that in 98 to 2006 no normies cared much with SF2 that much anymore to normies

Where did you get this weird idea that SFA3 is more popular than 2? Nobody ever talks about the alpha games outside enthusiasts

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I don't think FF 7 had the cultural impact that SF2 had.

Tend to agree - anecdotal, but at the time I only had one friend show me a FF7 demo disc for PS1, when basically all my school buddies had a SNES and played SF2 a tonne at one point or another (I once even rushed home from a girl I liked's place to get my Turbo cart to show her Chun Li's new fireball having discovered she liked SF, a fact I still shudder about that when remembering to this day...)

I think that maybe as RPGs have become more mainstream though, FF7 is lauded as the one that really broke into the public consciousness. At the time though, not even close. SF2 was the biggest game in the country (and I understand, world) at the time. 

Edited by JustBooming
1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Where did you get this weird idea that SFA3 is more popular than 2? Nobody ever talks about the alpha games outside enthusiasts

your right, and my point was the SF enthusiast or SF normies in darkage where a3 beats sf2.

thats the tons of people that populate Capcom BBS/Capcom Unity forum would talks about.

Sf2 was a household name and a popculture  and also revolutionize the genre that cannot be change.

but for those normies in the FGC darkage everyone would point out A3 is the best SF ever made thats why in the darkage A3 gets more versions not just ordinary ports than SF2, And every A3 version trumps over every Sf2 ports in popularity and attention in FGC darkage. 

upper, doubleupper and max while hsf2 no sf enthusiast cared on it in the darkage.

SF4 change the perception that to judge a better SF game to normies isnt just about character and content but also the feel.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

I don't think FF 7 had the cultural impact that SF2 had. It might've with weebs, but even with weebs FF8 was a bigger deal to them than 7.

SF2 legit revolutionized gaming altogether. FF7 showed off the next step as far as graphics and FMVs (for the good and the bad).

The thing that  Final Fantasy 7 did and it was important for the genre, is show that RPGs from Japan could sell in the West if you actually advertise them. All of the other aspects people point out were done before. Hell even it's graphical style of polygonal characters over CGI backgrounds was done in RE1 and done better. In addition to being more detailed, the characters in RE1 actually had textures. Final Fantasy 7 characters were flat shaded. The battles ran at 15fps. The game was no technical marvel. Resident Evil 1 released on PS1 18 months before Final Fantasy 7. The Phantasy Star series had already killed of a main cast member twice. In Phantasy Star 2 in 1989 and Phantasy Star 4 in 1993. The Lunar series in 92, 93 had FMV and voice acting....which Final Fantasy didn't get until FFX. Hell Lunar 1 had a theme song with lyrics. I remember that shit blowing my mind as a kid. :tldr:

Edit: Dammit, this topic has taken me back 1997 when I used to post like Dime on the regular.

palpatine-smile.gif

"Arise, henceforth you will be known as Dime Requiem"

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Sonero said:

SF2 legit revolutionized gaming altogether. FF7 showed off the next step as far as graphics and FMVs (for the good and the bad).

FF3 was even the best turn based JRPG REVOLUTION of FF that many of its gameplay mechanics became something a staple and made it standout as a brand identity compare to other JRPG turnbased back in the day.

I've said this before and it bears repeating: I love FF7. I spent an insane amount of ours playing it (grinded an extra set of Master Materia the hard way), had a stable of gold chocobos etc. The FMVs blew my mind at the time. When I went back to show try and explain what seeing that games like for first time, I got the same awesome feelings from it.

But it isn't like JRPGs weren't mainstream. FF6 had full page ads in Gamepro. Might've been because of my group of friends growing up, but we were in that Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger etc. FF7 didn't do something new for us, it just did something in a way we didn't really understand could be done.

Is what it is. But the game didn't leave a zeitgeist behind like SF2 did. SF2 did so much for FGs compared to what was happening at the time that it might as well have recreated the whole thing (because it basically did). It introduced a whole new gameplay lexicon to gaming etc. Much as I love it, FF7 didn't really bring something new to the table other than graphics (because if you think about some of the stuff that happens in FF6, they FMV sequence they were just not animated like you could for a CD). 

So nah, dudes are way off base comparing SF2 to FF7. Even when you factor in merchandising, there are way bigger cultural reasons why SF2 > FF7 even there.

Haters can HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

We were talking about how "milked" FF7 is in relation to SF2. We aren't talking about relevance. Although if you really wanted to go there. FF7 popularized RPGs in the West. SF2 is responsible for fighting games being popular period. Back to matter at hand, FF7 isn't as milked as SF2. If I broke SF2 releases like you did and there in guest appearances, anime, comics. etc. I'd have post that would make Dime blush. At work, so I can't do this full but just for example.

SF2: WW (Arcade)

SF2: CE (Arcade)
SF2: HF (Arcade)

SSF2 (Arcade)

SSF2:T (Arcade)

SF2: WW (SNES)

SF2: WW (MS-DOS)

SF2: WW (Amiga)

SF2: WW (Atari ST)

SF2: WW (Amstrad CPC)

SF2: WW (Commodore 64)

SF2: WW (ZX Spectrum)

SF2: WW (Gameboy)

Do, I have to go on?

Lets dial this back a bit. The original contention was that Pertho felt that comparing SF2 to FF7 in terms of it being milked as a flagshship title was sus. No one here is gonna argue that SF2 was a bigger cultural phenomenon. But in terms of over all relevance and the fact that SE seems hell bent on making more FF7 content over returning to older titles would seem to suggest that FF7 is up there with SF2 in terms of cultural relevance. FF7 doesn't need to have edition release parity with SF2 for this to be true. FF7 didn't need to be on everything for it to have the cultural pull that it has now. But even if we have that metric FF7 IS on everything now. 

2 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

I seriously have no idea what this guy is talking about. SF2 is the SF normies remember the most followed by 4. This idea that Alpha has a deeper appreciation from non Capcom diehards is so preposterous I don't know if I'm being trolled or if this is a regional disconnect lmao

2 hours ago, Sonero said:

I don't think FF 7 had the cultural impact that SF2 had.

SF2 started an entire genre. In that sense it obviously didn't. But you're kidding if you seriously side step FF7 as being one of THE GAMES. It was the premier RPG when it came out. It set a standard that SE adhered to until FF11. And again if FF8 was so mega popular to eclipse FF7 why the fuck does SE keep shilling Cloud in everything? Why are there so many FF7 side games? Why didn't FF8 get a big budget CG movie???

New trailer looks cool, Hadoken

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Squigga, you were literally being conceived when FF7 dropped. You don't even remember SF2 dropping and the explosion of games that followed it.

Nigga I'm 33 what are talking about??? Also how does my age factor into this??? Um Michael Jackson was a cultural phenomenon musically. "Um yikes sweaty like aren't you like 15? How would you have any frame of reference to know this when you were a twinkle in you daddies eye, I'm super smart by the way teehee"

spacer.png

Yeah I had to go back and reread this to make sure I'm not gaslighting myself. Yep I'm still right niggas can die extra mad.

Edited by TWINBLADES

cute

SF5's character select screen with the symmetrical V style looks better. But this works for now. 

Not sure how they will add characters. If you fill the top 2 slots next to Luke, you can then fit in 20 characters divided into 4 columns, for a possible 22 additional characters.

Bringing the total characters the select screen can accommodate to 40. Less than SF4 and SF5 - which is fine, quality over quantity. They could squish an additional 8 in a new row on top but I don't think it will happen.

I foresee the 4 Shadaloo Kings occupying the bottom right corner.

Edited by Daemos
1 minute ago, TWINBLADES said:

This is it Americans make your voice heard. It’s time for Rog to be the official name the world over. Vote vote vote vote!!!!!

They should call him Mike Bison and canonize SF1 Mike as him. The JP names are actually much more correct.

Unfortunately it will create more confusion since the US Names are way more popular than the original names.

The lesser of two evils would be to go with the US names, change SF1 character Mike retroactively to Balrog and fully canonize the M in  M.Bison being Master across games.

I saw the talk about the lack of plus on block buttons and idk how I feel about it. I don’t wanna be holding block strings all day but it seems like something kind of needed for fighting games. 

I’m guessing using the drive system to make things plus will be pretty important. Spacing things to make it legit?  

I’m going to buy the game no matter hopefully they do another beta if you preorder the game. 

I kinda like that the character fonts are specific to the promotional media. If the individualized fonts were on the character select screen, I would've felt like it's trying hard to bite of GGXX. I guess I'm also a sucker for nostalgia cuz  the 8 World Warriors in their SF2 CS screen configuration does plenty for me. As a kid, I learned who the 8 were according to their position and their character themes. Maybe it's not the best designed CA screen ever but it's plucking the 90s heart strings in a way no modern SF game has.

17 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I think the comparison about FF7 being milked as much as SF2 is a fair one.  Both games have a shit load of iterations, can't be argued.  However, SF2 was kind of the birth of fighting games and FF7 while amazingly popular, really only got things going in the West.  Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were already hugely popular in the East.  And are we just going to forget about FF4, FF6 and Chrono Trigger?  All three are incredibly games on par with FF7, especially the last two.  

exactly