Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Ono is an awesome spokesperson with a questionable track record on games at times. This was also the man who brought us Capcom Fighting Jam and intentionally releasing the Twins in SF4 in a stupid buff way.

There is no denying that when the guy misses, he misses hard. Still feels a bit off the mark to be be celebrating his departure as if he wasn’t the only guy who cared about fighting games at Capcom and the best, maybe only, chance of getting a new Darkstalkers. He shouldn’t be compared to guys like Inafune at least.

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is a lie. Ono took over Capcom Fighting Jam from the game's previous producer late in the game's development cycle. It was already fucked when he came on board. 

Not only that.

He came to salvage whatever they could from the project, while capcom didn't allocate extra funds or time, and with the expectation to not spend more than what was left from the failed previous 3d project.

There was no chance to make a decent game, neither to take time to fine tune any mechanic introduced on it.

People love to put blame on him just because he was the face we saw, and that is utterly stupid.

He can be the producer of the games, but that doesnt mean that he was the only one calling the shots.

Putting the blame for a failed project on a single person is stupid.

But people love to have their scape goat that they can direct their hate to,it's the times we live in sadly.

Ono most likely made his fair share of mistakes but also did good ( you know, like pretty much any human being ). Haters can keep on hating, old man Ono was okay in my opinion.

Edited by Skort

If you only got your information from internet comments you would come to the conclusion that Ono personally and directly handled:

• The combat system.
  • The graphics.
  • The art style.
  • The realism.
  • The cartoonish vibe and lack of realism.
  • The fanservice.
  • The lack of fanservice.
  • The funding.
  • The esport projects.
  • The DLC plans and monetization.
  • The netcode.
  • Every decision taken by the corporate overlords who own Capcom.
  • The weather in my local geographic area, but only when it displeases me.

It's crazy how SFV had a lot of names in its credits when internet commenters know it was actually all Ono's work.

2 hours ago, Skort said:

Putting the blame for a failed project on a single person is stupid.

But people love to have their scape goat that they can direct their hate to,it's the times we live in sadly.

Ono most likely made his fair share of mistakes but also did good ( you know, like pretty much any human being ). Haters can keep on hating, old man Ono was okay in my opinion.

Yeah, As if it would green lit any Darkstalker project, Rival Schools and Powerstone then bring back the the 90s where capcom would release multiple fighting games simultaneously. That would never happened.

Some fans i came across to numerous forums that is STRONGLY into SF3 keep hating Ono because they had this fancy that it was Ono holding back on SF3 characters not being the main focus of the story in SF4 and SF5. That as soon as Ono is out will get a story focus SF3 with Alex or someone in SF3 the is the center of the story

LOL SF6 leaked roster prove the otherwise has the complete World Warrior as a staple than ever before than the more diverse casting of SF5. LOL

This kind of group that fancy a single person holding back on Darkstalkers and RivalSchool to be spotlighted and SF3 as the main focus in future SF has no understanding how management and budget works which can affect the main franchise by either dooming and jeopardize future projects. Ono was on the work around era of FGs and with the higher ups that would continually thumbs up RE and MH, His absence doesn't turn things around on everything they dream about with SF3 characters being centered and it doesn't also changed those dormant franchise status quo like DS and RS having independent greenlit possibilities. 

Edited by Shakunetsu

Was looking over the trailer some more and made this gif.  I know Ryu can do this in the current game as well but he seems to do the tatsu pretty early here yet still benefiting from projectile invincibility. I remember with Gouken you could do this vs fireballs but you had to do  Senkugoshoha  as soon as the fireball was about to hit you to pass through.

Ryu-tatsu-gif.gif

On another note i like how the petals on the floor move away when Chun fires her projectile. They actually added some objects with physics that interact based on what your character does, i like this, it feels more natural, not how you basically jabbed  in mid air and some billboard  / crate would break without your character even touching it.

Edited by Skort
1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

Some fans i came across to numerous forums that is STRONGLY into SF3 keep hating Ono because they had this fancy that it was Ono holding back on SF3 characters not being the main focus of the story in SF4 and SF5. That as soon as Ono is out will get a story focus SF3 with Alex or someone in SF3 the is the center of the story

LOL SF6 leaked roster prove the otherwise has the complete World Warrior as a staple than ever before than the more diverse casting of SF5. LOL

Honestly I don't get where the hate boner for the world warrior comes from. But at this point that group of fans needs to STFU and look at other franchises who did something similar. They tried to do a similarish thing in SC5 and people overall hated it. Tekken doesn't really do it either. Virtua Fighter keeps their cast nice and tight.

The company that sort of gets away with it is SNK. But they've basically abandoned two franchises (Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury) to keep doing a game where they keep a massive core of long standing characters around. At this point if you got beef with the WW, might as well start saying that you wish they original game had different characters.

Short of doing a big ass KoF style game with 3 billion characters, the fanbase is always going to gripe about something or other in terms of cast. But even looking at other franchises, yeah just throwing away the baby with the bathwater has never worked out.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Honestly I don't get where the hate boner for the world warrior comes from. But at this point that group of fans needs to STFU and look at other franchises who did something similar. They tried to do a similarish thing in SC5 and people overall hated it. Tekken doesn't really do it either. Virtua Fighter keeps their cast nice and tight.

Tekken did it with 3. The majority of Tekken 3 cast is a legacy character of some sort. That was a successful game.

My beef with the world warriors is stagnation. I'm tired of seeing them. Most of the characters I enjoy playing come from Alpha and 3 but I can't have them because Capcom has to make room for fucking Blanka. SF has a large enough cast now they shouldn't need to rely on world warriors to have returning characters and lean on nostalgia. 

Nostalgia makes money. This isn’t unique to Capcom, Japan, or even games. People like throw backs to whatever is considered the good old days.

From what y’all tell me SF3 wasn’t that popular, so it makes sense those characters aren’t featured a lot. Meanwhile SF2 is one of the most genre defining fighting games ever made. 

This is not hard to understand. 

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

Tekken did it with 3. The majority of Tekken 3 cast is a legacy character of some sort. That was a successful game.

My beef with the world warriors is stagnation. I'm tired of seeing them. Most of the characters I enjoy playing come from Alpha and 3 but I can't have them because Capcom has to make room for fucking Blanka. SF has a large enough cast now they shouldn't need to rely on world warriors to have returning characters and lean on nostalgia. 

Think there was a miscommunicaiton here. I'm talking about people wanting the OG SF2 cast abandoned. Tekken didn't get rid of that many people. Still had Kazuya, Jack, Nina, King, Yoshimitsu, Paul and then they made new generation characters out of Law and Michelle.The roster from 2 to 3 is smaller IIRC but they didn't abandon the core group.

The 3S problem is a different one. That wasn't even supposed to be an SF game so they just shoe horned Ryu/Ken/Chun and that's why that cast is fucked up. If you want that again then nobody can help you (you rhetorical not you as a person).  That situation was just weird and isn't going to happen.

Honestly we just really need a dream match game.  Just do an internal CvS2 style game to help people with missing out on their characters.

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Nostalgia makes money.

It has nothing much to do with nostalgia TBH. People just want Capcom to do something that literally no other FG company does. Its really weird. Nobody is going into the next KoF series like:

Man, I wish they'd stop putting Iori, Kyo, King, Robert, Mai, Ryo, Joe, in the game. These series would be so much better without K' .

You know what? I bet there are people with those opinions and I'm pretty sure nobody takes them seriously. But in SF land we magically have to entertain that a series should get rid of the things it is known for.

Like Cypher said with Guilty Gear. It'd be dumb AF to be like "hey man, I'd love guilty gear but just get rid of Sol, Ky, May, Zato, Millia, Faust and Axl. That would make the game so much better". Bro what now?

36 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Honestly I don't get where the hate boner for the world warrior comes from.

You don't get why people would be tired of seeing the same characters for over three decades? It's not a hatred of world warrior it's being tired of having 13 slots of each new SF game taken up by the same characters. Championship Edition plus Cammy all the damn time has gotten old. There are other SF games to pull characters from. When people are adverse to their mains being altered in anyway and you reserved 13 slots for the same characters it gets boring.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You don't get why people would be tired of seeing the same characters for over three decades?

I don't. Because if you tried to sell me Soul Calibur without Voldo and Mitsurugi I'd tell Namco to fuck off.

Capcom made a massive mistake with their rosters and now a section of fans act like they don't have their heads screwed on right.

3 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The company that sort of gets away with it is SNK. But they've basically abandoned two franchises (Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury) to keep doing a game where they keep a massive core of long standing characters around. At this point if you got beef with the WW, might as well start saying that you wish they original game had different characters.

I myself get being hated sometimes and being confused as an WW, I'm a fan of SF2 but not the cast I would even prefer some to retire. I'm more into SFA games if casting is concerned. Some People doesn't get that how companies work that hold a huge IP that they reboot it, remake it and remixed it or go back to the core idea not just in FGs but in many IP in different media like movies and comic books.

Late 90s was the pinnacle of new generation ideas of popular IP but most of them now were either treated as separate parallel universe and never the main continuation or the whole story switched back to roots later on.  SF3, KOF MI, Garou, Samsho64.

The biggest misconception is that some people believe if they hate WW the SF3 cast will get the spotlight. That's not the case.

They haven't realize that 

SF2 direct continuation in the 90s was SFEX series than SF3, SF3 was never intended to be a proper SF2 sequel rather than in the ground up. Even SF1 one came from a different team.

It was ALPHA and SF4 that has in mind to be a proper bridge to SF games. Hating SF2 and SFA cast and saying they are to much and we need new will only introduce newer faces that will continue to undermine SF3 cast. Because they are indirectly wanting NEW not being direct with what they want.

Here you go those that wanting something new cast. Retire SF3 character then here something you ask for SOMETHING NEW 

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

I don't hate SF3 characters, I am all for connecting canon that's why I like SF4 and SFA, I want a crossover,

I also wanted Sean to be something important in SF6 and even in a deuteragonist status quo but I honestly I liked him to be the protagonist instead but settled for deuteragonist because that spot is taken Luke.

I wanted Ryu to be a behind the scenes character and not the story focus anymore. Same with the rest of the World Warriors, like they should be the one that inspires and being looked up into. 

I have said that countless times  What my priorities are and it's more on connecting the timeline and integration of the best of both worlds from SFA and SF3 but people keep on hating Classic characters like believing it hampers the idea of focusing on SF3 characters.

I myself didn't like the idea of introducing new characters out of nowhere I preferred characters from the background that already existed like Zeku.

I know this would happen if they would hate classic characters and asking for something new they wouldn't get the what they really ask for and yearning for which is SF3 characters being the face of SF franchise.

Because that isn't an issue about story, IT's an ISSUE about DIFFERENT MANAGEMENT that had SHIFTING TEAMS AND LEADS which has either contradicting priorities and interest. Higher ups doesn't limit LEADS to create something new. This isn't DISNEY that has strict policies that need to workaround with something established characters.

Then what happened instead it turned out in SF6 they put Yun and Yang a SF3 characters as to what I want the world warriors to be then the spotlight to the new characters. there are been rumors that Sean will be just an NPC with Laura and Alex being just to show up and say he retired lol. 

Another thing I have mentioned countless times. I also believe hating Kage will just bring another separate version just like SC did, Nightmare, Night Terror or a Kyo1, Kyo2 then Kusanagi. DOA had Kasumi clones. lol

The only way to get rid of those is to dismissed them properly and remove them from their badass appeal. 

Hating the other doesn't make them what they want having favor or get's prioritized. That's not how companies and holder of huge IP that squeeze money out of nostalgia do.

9 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Think there was a miscommunicaiton here. I'm talking about people wanting the OG SF2 cast abandoned.

I don't want 8 of the character slots taken up by SF2 characters. They don't need to be abandon but my god I don't need to see Gief, Sim, Guile, Cammy and especially fucking Blanka in every game. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You don't get why people would be tired of seeing the same characters for over three decades? 

I get why some people would be tired of it but I really don’t think those people are the majority. Online SF fans would have you believe Makato and Rose are more popular than Ryu. But for most people the series is defined by the World Warriors. Those are the characters in the most games, the ones that get name dropped in music, the ones that people get tattoos of, and the ones that people would name if asked.

Also I agree with Pert it feels like Street Fighter is the only series people ask this of. Nobody is asking MK to abandon Sub, Scorpion, Kitana, Cage, Jax, etc for obscure shit like fucking Mocap or Meat

30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Nostalgia makes money. This isn’t unique to Capcom, Japan, or even games. People like throw backs to whatever is considered the good old days.

From what y’all tell me SF3 wasn’t that popular, so it makes sense those characters aren’t featured a lot. Meanwhile SF2 is one of the most genre defining fighting games ever made. 

This is not hard to understand. 

Amen. People acting that disliking would stop them from making things that they dislike and priority the things they like. Biggest misconception how company with huge IP works

The wallets votes for everything and Nostalgia is powerful. That even a had full of people start a negative campaign on something they didn't like shouldn't return for a reason like it is because of story or canon. 

Wouldn't stop it because those weren't rational in corporate sense. They could cancel a character or a canon event in a game  if that is something that is culturally inappropriate or offensive

but cancelling characters for canon and personal dislike to spotlight another wouldn't get them anything. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't want 8 of the character slots taken up by SF2 characters. They don't need to be abandon but my god I don't need to see Gief, Sim, Guile, Cammy and especially fucking Blanka in every game. 

You're gonna have to suck it up, that's the core identity of the series. SF2 may not be the first game of the series, but it is the one that set the identity of it. If you like 3S, the issue is that you're essentially a fan of a capcom fuck up. Which is fine, there's a lot to love about SF3, but it was basically a secondary series that was given the SF name to sell it.

8 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I don't. Because if you tried to sell me Soul Calibur without Voldo and Mitsurugi I'd tell Namco to fuck off.

And that's not what were discussing. Stop being disingenuous. If you are going to give that example, give the accurate one to our discussion. The Soul series equivalent would be requiring every game to to have all of these characters. Hwang, Li Long, Mitsurugi, Rock, Seong Mi-na, Siegfried, Sophitia, Taki, and Voldo. You seem to be implying that people don't want any SF2 characters when the discussion is there shouldn't be guaranteed slots for all of them.

45 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Tekken did it when the series was young and it was still the '90s.

Also, Tekken 3 was to Tekken like Street Fighter II was to Street Fighter: the series already existed before that game, but the real popularity came in only with that game.

Taking big risks as an established series, especially nowadays when new fighting games that aren't based on existing IPs are kinda rare, is a lot different in my opinion. You can like or dislike this situation, but fighting games as a whole have to tread carefully since the '10s.

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Also I agree with Pert it feels like Street Fighter is the only series people ask this of. Nobody is asking MK to abandon Sub, Scorpion, Kitana, Cage, Jax, etc for obscure shit like fucking Mocap or Meat

As an MK fan I do want to see Cage, Sonya, Jax and Kano get benched for a game. 

MK series is different as the fanbase don't seem to like most of the characters that came after UMK3

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You're gonna have to suck it up, that's the core identity of the series. SF2 may not be the first game of the series, but it is the one that set the identity of it. If you like 3S, the issue is that you're essentially a fan of a capcom fuck up. Which is fine, there's a lot to love about SF3, but it was basically a secondary series that was given the SF name to sell it.

This isn't a SF3 issue either. There are no Alpha characters and 1 SF4 character in the SF6 based roster. You can fuck all they way off with this take. You can't sit there with a straight face and say Alpha and SF4 weren't popular. 

Don't mistook me as someone that wants the core SF2 to be a staple or someone that wants Evil Ryu to stay. 

I never asked of anything of an Evil Ryu in any character anticipation thread from SF4, MVC and SFV, the only time I requested a character in the character anticipation thread is an entity that would entirely separate SNH from Ryu. That became as Kage.

I don't even ask for an ALT COSTUME for Evil Ryu in any MVC threads or SF4 and SF5 thread before their edgelord version were officially introduced as a character.

I am always been consistent and continuously firm with what I have said in the past years and what I really desired. That's why I'm more into slow phasing and slow progression of the story than time skips that I prefer SF6 to take place in SF3 timeline with diverse casting.

I'm just someone that is aware how the direction would went instead with the dislike because companies will try to create something new of the interpretation of the archetype instead because it generates $$$. That's how they get the message.

A new team will try always to reinvent something that people dislike and impose their own VISION that how they work, and that's how they also get the message. The dwindling comic book industry is now in that direction being loosely and new characters being introduced constantly because they are experimenting with audiences.

Unlike those like DISNEY or NINTENDO that has strong policies on their prioritize brands. That team cannot be much playful like introducing new characters so much so if some groups dislike something the attention would be placed on another thing that has establish. That isn't the case on hating WW to make the SF3 a priority,

Edited by Shakunetsu
7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This isn't a SF3 issue either. There are no Alpha characters and 1 SF4 character in the SF6 based roster. You can fuck all they way off with this take. You can't sit there with a straight face and say Alpha and SF4 weren't popular. 

There's also just one SFV character (two if you want to count Luke). I hate how under represented the other SFs are 

16 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

There are no Alpha characters and 1 SF4 character in the SF6 based roster. You can fuck all they way off with this take. You can't sit there with a straight face and say Alpha and SF4 weren't popular. 

Yeah, read what I said again because you missed the point entirely.

SF is the world warriors. You can have all the issues you want with it but that's the rock of the game. The moment they aren't there the games feel weird.

This is the same thing with a bunch of other franchises. That's why I am not overly attached to new characters. If a character is new to a series, you better like the game they are in because you aren't going to see them again for years. 

Coming into a FG series and going like "Man, this game would be so much better without core characters that people have loved for years" is such a fundamentally goofy point of view that it's baffling.

Thats in no way a serious or viable request. 

I have seen campaign online that so much to prioritize this set of characters from a certain group but in the end it ends up in a different situation and the result.

This is why the Capcom Character Poll works because you don't choose a single character or just set of 3 characters.

You are made to choose a lot of characters not something to be manipulated and limited that is toward the biases of the poll maker. It even include nuisance characters as to know your PRIORITY are.

THAT's the reason Capcom include NUISANCE Characters in that poll. It's not something of a mistake. 

And it's not a niche focus demographic like a core group which makes it unreliable.  I do conduct polls and also asses polls even A and B testing as UX designer. 

If there are 50% being loud on the internet that the 15% were those that are positive with it and the 35% dislike/negative. it that doesn't make sense if those that has those who have the wallets were the other 50% that doesn't care or whatever, Or something that is  always equated to POSITIVE side. So overall it's 65% over 35%.

I have seen a campaign on characters polls and seen that kind of polls even in Unity in it's early years. And that's why it would always fail to ditch the character they dislike because it is being biased and restrictive to the interest of the poll implementer.

Edited by Shakunetsu
3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

SF is SOME of the world warriors. If Ryu, Chun Li, or Guile were missing there would be problems. That doesn't apply to the entirety of the original eight. Casuals are all about Ryu, Ken, and Akuma to frank. The monthly character usage backs that up.

Indeed. Characters like Blanka, Dhalsim, Honda are always near the bottom of the usage chart.

What I am pointing out of a campaign and poll is not in this forum nor in SRK but in a different forum and it's recently for SF6.

And I have seen that a lot that character poll that fails because of unreasonable dislike for the sake of non-corporate standpoint since I have been I have been in ages like 2004

Edited by Shakunetsu
14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

SF is SOME of the world warriors. If Ryu, Chun Li, or Guile were missing there would be problems. That doesn't apply to the entirety of the original eight. Casuals are all about Ryu, Ken, and Akuma to frank. The monthly character usage backs that up.

11 minutes ago, mykka said:

Indeed. Characters like Blanka, Dhalsim, Honda are always near the bottom of the usage chart.

You know how many people can play Kazuya in Tekken?

Not many.

You know how stupid it would be for Tekken to get rid of Kazuya because people can't play him?

It's the same with Yoshimitsu or Astaroth in Soul Calibur. Doing away with them invariably harms the package. 

After staring at the leaked roster for awhile, I am okay with it. Having the world warriors as the base roster is fine, I doubt people would appreciate having them behind a paywall again. Followed up with a healthy mix of new and returning characters and it is a good starting point. I am bummed certain characters from SF3 and SFV won't be there, but I'm sure some will make it in through DLC.

Congrats Capcom, I am going to install SFV again to appreciate Laura while I can.

I do prioritize STORY RELATED characters for a related to a saga and a timeline, and also and BACKGROUND related character like Zeku. So I see characters like Honda, Blanka, DeeJay, Fei and Gief,  Can rest for a while or be dlc.

I also preferred Akuma in SFV in the very last season. when someone asked me. because Akuma is only viable because Ryu character and we had Necali in SFV that was supposed to be the filler of Akuma's role.

While Thawk, Chun, Guile should be priority because they had business and had unsettled things with Shadaloo to do in SF5. I'm all for SF3 characters with SFA characters together but being biased on disliking SFA characters will never ever get the SF3 characters to be ever the top priority of SF franchise in the future.

Realistically speaking seeing how SF6 and tons of brand new characters it's unlikely that Alex nor an SF3 character will ever be the main of SF.

Edited by Shakunetsu