Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I would love it if street fighter had a "everybody is here" game but it will never happen. The home ports of Alpha 3 is the closest we ever got.

Honestly that's why I wish they'd do an in house version of CvS2.

Make a bunch of isms representing different versions of SF and let it rock with hella characters.

48 minutes ago, PVL_93_RU said:

speaking of DJ, anybody's keeping up with the guy? He's one of the few SRK frequenters that I haven't seen here

Ran into him on Twitch a while back. Told him to come hit us up but the man is still chillin' somewhat. Mentioned he was picking up strive but that's about it.  Remember that it wasn't so much that he stopped wanting to go to the forums. He got hit hard by a lot of real life bullshit around the time he "disappeared". It was health problems complicated by some personal issues.

That's sort of the problem with the digital age. Its really easy to have people disappear. That's where you get all these memes about the last time somebody logged in.

14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah this seems inevitable without any new blood coming in. Younger/newer players seem to stick to discord or and the “big time” FGC is own Twitter. 

Like you said it’s sad. Hoping SF6 brings some traffic.

We should do our part to draw some people in. I think when the game drops I'll drop links into boomerbook and see if we can drag in some new victims.

9 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

After the crab incident and the grooming saga, the brilliant Smash community gains a new highlight:

Just as I planned. I knew the new strain would work but this quickly, that was something I never foresaw. Interesting..... he's coughing up blood... I need to get a sample. This could lead to to the complete irradiation of the Smash community and I can't let this moment slip by me!

spacer.png

Well I could help with recruitment.
In the old BB Discord I was on, I was getting people each day basically.

And both of my main duties in my FC in FF is taking care of newbies and get people in.

But I don't think I will this here, since here are people who believe that Parrys are a good mechanic and I do not want to support heresy.

12 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

We should do our part to draw some people in. I think when the game drops I'll drop links into boomerbook and see if we can drag in some new victims.

Advertise wherever you want. Pretty sure MisterBee is happy with people just using the forums. Aside from that, having a good online space isn't just about getting people in, its also about keeping them engaged in some type of way.

SuperCombo.GG (the place that bought the SRK forums) had some good ideas going in but its super slow compared to this. From what I've seen they don't do the type of stuff that would've been building steam for when SF6 actually drops. 

If you want this place popping in some type of way, its about sort of working out what kind of place you want it to be. This isn't really a hardcore dedicated player type of place. But it doesn't mean it can't house some of those players.  It could end up being a really good chill place for people that are like, using SF5 as a reference, rookie to platinum. This isn't disparaging people playing at that level. But more of an indication that it may not necessarily be great to steer it into trying to get top top players to be posting daily. Odds are good that they wouldn't be the type that would want to come in and discuss stuff.  It may not be SRK where you get top top talent talking. But it could be a really awesome learning place that helps people stay active and enjoy the hobby.

I'll say this as someone who isn't necessarily a SRK/Megashock OG:

Most of us here know that the SFV and now SF6 thread is treated as a general fighting game thread, but newcomers might not. So someone like myself, who is a genuine fan of SFV  might pop in looking for like-minded people, only to find not only constant bitching about the game the thread is supposedly dedicated to, but occasionally outright mocking of anyone who expresses enthusiasm towards that game. That sort of welcome might not encourage a lot of people to stay.

Maybe if we didn't bitch so much and put down people for liking games that we don't, the community might seem more inviting. I know I've checked out of this forum a few times when it felt like the negative vibes were taking over too much.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah this seems inevitable without any new blood coming in. Younger/newer players seem to stick to discord or and the “big time” FGC is on Twitter. 

Like you said it’s sad. Hoping SF6 brings some traffic.

There is interest in forums to some extent. They tried to do something with the SuperCombo forums but I think the issue was that there wasn't enough active users to keep people coming back.

I feel like this forum being basically a bunch of srk transplants could keep people coming back to check up while also encouraging more people to invest their time and effort here rather than in a twitter thread or discord server.

Boomer take, but I also feel like the SuperCombo forums are dead right now because it was pushed to an audience of people that never used forums and don't know how to use them.

Edited by elliephil
32 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Advertise wherever you want. Pretty sure MisterBee is happy with people just using the forums. Aside from that, having a good online space isn't just about getting people in, its also about keeping them engaged in some type of way.

SuperCombo.GG (the place that bought the SRK forums) had some good ideas going in but its super slow compared to this. From what I've seen they don't do the type of stuff that would've been building steam for when SF6 actually drops. 

If you want this place popping in some type of way, its about sort of working out what kind of place you want it to be. This isn't really a hardcore dedicated player type of place. But it doesn't mean it can't house some of those players.  It could end up being a really good chill place for people that are like, using SF5 as a reference, rookie to platinum. This isn't disparaging people playing at that level. But more of an indication that it may not necessarily be great to steer it into trying to get top top players to be posting daily. Odds are good that they wouldn't be the type that would want to come in and discuss stuff.  It may not be SRK where you get top top talent talking. But it could be a really awesome learning place that helps people stay active and enjoy the hobby.

I don't think we are ever getting the MvC2 dark ages heads again. That's a bygone era that was mostly facilitated due to the infancy of the internet age. When it's easy to get the latest tech 2 seconds after a patch drops you don't need to scour some old(4chan slur) forum to get what you need. I see this place as a chill community that can keep peoples spirits up when they are getting bodied online and they don't have anyone to turn to in person. So much of my improvements in SFV were because I had long sets with friends that I was constantly in contact with. That being said by internet years I'm a boomer so I still see the value in a form while most people are keen on chatting via discord. And I like discord... but  I still see value in this platform. So that's my pitch to people. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

That's sort of the problem with the digital age. Its really easy to have people disappear. That's where you get all these memes about the last time somebody logged in.

Man I had the best online friends on Xbox 360. I was in a clan on a transformers game and if everyone was closer we would be real life friends. We knew government names and everything. Eventually real life happened and we all stopped talking but I miss those days. Then like you said one day you look at your friends list and see they ain’t been on in 2 years 😭 

21 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

I don't think we are ever getting the MvC2 dark ages heads again. That's a bygone era that was mostly facilitated due to the infancy of the internet age. When it's easy to get the latest tech 2 seconds after a patch drops you don't need to scour some old(4chan slur) forum to get what you need. I see this place as a chill community that can keep peoples spirits up when they are getting bodied online and they don't have anyone to turn to in person. So much of my improvements in SFV were because I had long sets with friends that I was constantly in contact with. That being said by internet years I'm a boomer so I still see the value in a form while most people are keen on chatting via discord. And I like discord... but  I still see value in this platform. So that's my pitch to people. 

Discord is alright for what it is. Forums feel more like an actual community place.

I don't think it needs to be the MvC2 situation. But this was also some dumb shit that SRK had. You had the noobie saikyo dojo thing, but when they had a front page them dumb dumbs more or less refused to do material for low to low mid level players.

I'll cosign a lot of that stuff.  Even though I was bad at times with writing up a whole lot of feedback. Playing people and giving them feedback were my favorite parts of doing stuff for SF5.  Teaching people how to talk about their own matches would be a massive boon to the FGC in general.

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Man I had the best online friends on Xbox 360. I was in a clan on a transformers game and if everyone was closer we would be real life friends. We knew government names and everything. Eventually real life happened and we all stopped talking but I miss those days. Then like you said one day you look at your friends list and see they ain’t been on in 2 years 😭 

There's a subreddit dedicated to finding people in long lost friend's lists. Sometimes its that people lost passwords and other weird life happenings.

Although TBH with some googling you can find a lot of people.  You'd be surprise how often people use the same name for everything.

25 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

I'll say this as someone who isn't necessarily a SRK/Megashock OG:

Most of us here know that the SFV and now SF6 thread is treated as a general fighting game thread, but newcomers might not. So someone like myself, who is a genuine fan of SFV  might pop in looking for like-minded people, only to find not only constant bitching about the game the thread is supposedly dedicated to, but occasionally outright mocking of anyone who expresses enthusiasm towards that game. That sort of welcome might not encourage a lot of people to stay.

Maybe if we didn't bitch so much and put down people for liking games that we don't, the community might seem more inviting. I know I've checked out of this forum a few times when it felt like the negative vibes were taking over too much.

One of the things that made the old SFV threads stand out as "Actually a general thread" were the thread titles being humorous and light-hearted.

It set a clear boundary between "this is the thread people hang out" and the other tech/character threads which usually had more serious and concise titles and, as expected, had no nonsense.

Basically, what I'm saying is that @misterBeeshould let me break out the gif folder and cook up the next thread.

Shaq_Lit.gif

38 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

Yeah this is a big reason I don’t like hating on other franchises too much. Like we might joke about smash not being a FG but someone who likes smash and say Street Fighter might be put off by the attitude towards one of those games. Not saying anyone should pretend to like a game they don’t but don’t just go out of your way to bash anything I guess. 

43 minutes ago, Yiceman said:

So someone like myself, who is a genuine fan of SFV 

IMG_0506.gif

I miss the character discussion threads. I learned lots for sf and mvc through those.

15 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Discord is alright for what it is. Forums feel more like an actual community place.

The way forums are public community gathering spots I think are the big draw. I hate discord because it seems so hidden. You have to find the server, go through the rules, make sure it's the right/good spot, find the information. It's too much time wasted imo. Pretty sure I found srk initially through a Google search.

If I wanted to learn about the Ken matchup, I don't want to join the Ken fan club and talk about Ken all day. I want a thread. Somewhere I can go in and out whenever without much trouble.

Here in PH, forums were unpopular and it was the rise facebook groups that unite everyone else interest and hobbies that formed many organizations and communities that ended up competing to each other.

I have heard that FB is going for a redesign because of the fail meta and everything, So if everything changes everyone goes dark ages again. I'm mostly a forum guy since 2003 compare to other of my age here in PH. I always prefer international forums compare to local formed groups from fb here because of power struggle and politics . I do lead various groups that remains chill and loose, while others that I purposely stepped down because of made up conflicts from nonsensical things that aren't the groups main essence other than people wanting to show dominance and control to others. 

I never been fond of Discord and Reddit because I'm more of a vocal person regarding changes on things that I'm interested with and also like archive. That's mainly the reason I'm into forums to reach out of something or to inform something and connect something. My agenda after a year 03 before is to mugenized many SF characters that obscure characters in Street Fighter universe, So I went back and fort from digging Japanese website the original story thread in SRK then go to a mugen forum and point out to some creators  to mugenized this and that character that they might be interested with, like Zero G Gouki and the Cyborg Monitor in SF2 animated movies. Nowadays everything is on wiki and many doesn't want to create obscure characters anymore. I also do that in an MTG spoiler forum that made would wishlist a theme and cards to return as long your point is rational and made sense, It sill does work in MTG even in 2021 might be because it's the only one left. Capcom Unity forum section that is ask capcom was a game changer because svenson and tas would directly answers your question or engage to everyone if the question and statement made sense, but after 2011 it becomes dead and most of that raise question were trash, non-sense and redundant.

Twitter nowadays is fast with the news and updates form my hobbies and interest compare to what I usually do before that i previously dig various bookmarked sites everyday, I also find Twitter the best alternative substitute to what forums were back then, because you can remain a lowkey status quo and still able to reach out in some way with the right words and thoughts to companies, if it had sense in various perspective. Because being a vocal popular influencer isn't always the best thing to be if you want your preference and ideas to happen.  This is why fake leakers mostly fails in predicting and the higher ups would rather go in an opposite route instead of granting someone popular that appears to be entitled in the many public eye. If they get what they want, it shows that this entitled people that are arrogant has power, dominance and control over them which is a bad public presence. This is the problem with fake leakers that are arrogant because they don't understand how internal of a corporate and how priority works. Nowadays forum aren't the vehicle to reach out and be vocal on video games but overall Discord, Twitter and Reddit kinda lacks camaraderie.

Edited by Shakunetsu

Back in 2009-2010, I was mostly in the "Warrior's Fate" story thread on SRK. Mostly asking questions about story stuff.

Once I started playing fighting games more seriously, I stayed in the PSN/XBL MVC2/HD Remix GGs and BGs threads. It was always cool running into people online with SRK in their name. I remember when I'd say to myself "This nigga is from SRK, so I'm about to get bodied", but that feeling went away quickly. One thing I knew for certain is that they were going to play without quitting. Back then, everyone and their momma was quitting. It was funny coming to SRK and sharing stories about the quitting ass lames we'd run into.

Eventually I got invited to "No Honor Crew" during my time playing HD Remix. The name was based on playing the game without having any regard to honor (ie when Honda releases you from a grab, immediately air LK into another grab) in a match. I was a bit hesitant at first, but all of these dudes were solid people. Still friends with many of them to this day. The founding member, MisterEgoTrip, basically allowed me into the circle and was always encouraging whenever we'd play. I had a mean Guile in those times. The chatrooms would be bumping for hours. Sometimes I'd look forward to interacting with everyone more so than playing. We would also square off against other teams online. 

Sometimes I'd play all night, then get up and go to school without sleeping. It was a blast.

Unfortunately Ego passed away in 2012. It came out of nowhere. A lot of us never felt the same after that. I stopped playing HD Remix altogether. I was glad to have became friends with him and the No Honor Crew homies. Most of them are the reason why I started playing seriously. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Well I could help with recruitment.
In the old BB Discord I was on, I was getting people each day basically.

And both of my main duties in my FC in FF is taking care of newbies and get people in.

But I don't think I will this here, since here are people who believe that Parrys are a good mechanic and I do not want to support heresy.

Yes, let's appoint Cipher as Megashock's ambassador, what could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Seing the Top 4 makes me wanna throw up.

There are so many characters and most played is white bread with various stages of mold on it.

What point are you even trying to make here?

“Why are these simple and extremely popular characters used so much? They should use >insert niche character here that barely anyone cares about or plays here< like real men!”

🙄

Edit: That chart is also a good example of why these games don’t need 50 characters like y’all seem to want. 

Edited by Vhozite
59 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What point are you even trying to make here?

“Why are these simple and extremely popular characters used so much? They should use >insert niche character here that barely anyone cares about or plays here< like real men!”

🙄

Edit: That chart is also a good example of why these games don’t need 50 characters like y’all seem to want. 

If you cannot see the point, maybe clean your glasses.

Ain't even about people should pick other character or "be a man!", we all know real man with self-esteeme pick the little loli characters.

What tells you that I have no self-esteeme. And no Es doesn't count.

Was reading an eventhubs article about bringing back the Twins despite them being hated.  Not sure why they seem to think Yang was hated, he never was as far as I remember.  Anyway, I agree with them on the main point of the article.  They should definitely bring back the Twins for SF6 and make them separate characters in one DLC package.  None of this stance change single character nonsense that I think Max came up with. 

The best EVO was 2011 when AE had just come out and introduced Twins, Evil Ryu and Oni. Yun and Yang are hype, bring them back!

yun-yang-sfa3-max-art.png

Edited by HeavensCloud
40 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Was reading an eventhubs article about bringing back the Twins despite them being hated.  Not sure why they seem to think Yang was hated, he never was as far as I remember.  Anyway, I agree with them on the main point of the article.  They should definitely bring back the Twins for SF6 and make them separate characters in one DLC package.  None of this stance change single character nonsense that I think Max came up with. 

The best EVO was 2011 when AE had just come out and introduced Twins, Evil Ryu and Oni. Yun and Yang are hype, bring them back!

yun-yang-sfa3-max-art.png

I feel they would be interesting as one tag-team character like Noob-Smoke or Zeku, but nothing else. Jaime has already surpassed them in the cool factor and their grandfather who taught them - Master Lee - from Street Fighter 1 would be a far more intriguing representation of the playstyle.

7 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I feel they would be interesting as one tag-team character like Noob-Smoke or Zeku, but nothing else. Jaime has already surpassed them in the cool factor and their grandfather who taught them - Master Lee - from Street Fighter 1 would be a far more intriguing representation of the playstyle.

Jamie is cool but I think there could be more than one Kung Fu fighter in the game.  Hell, there's usually like 6-8 shotos in SF now.  Obviously, some of his moves are borrowed from the Twins but he really doesn't play anything like them at all.  

This Yun/Yang tag character is the worst idea this side of the return of Goutetsu. This is isn't a Marvel Vs. Capcom game. Stop the insanity already. It's not even some grand concept. It's a lame version of the stance character concept. You mean I get a character that switch between to different movesets. How innovative! How come no one ever thought of this before 🙄

37 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This Yun/Yang tag character is the worst idea this side of the return of Goutetsu. This is isn't a Marvel Vs. Capcom game. Stop the insanity already. It's not even some grand concept. It's a lame version of the stance character concept. You mean I get a character that switch between to different movesets. How innovative! How come no one ever thought of this before 🙄

Gotta make a Ryu/Ken/Kage/Akuma/Oni/Sean/Sakura stance character 😎