Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 3

On 6/3/2022 at 7:03 AM, misterBee said:

This thread is for SFV GAME DISCUSSION ONLY.

I personally think the SFV thread should have been conserved in perpetuity as the FGC general/shitposting thread and SF6 should have had the let's stick to the topic style to celebrate forever the fact that SFV was such a disaster that people pretty much had to talk about other games.

But if we gotta stay on topic:
Game's proper shaite init?

10 minutes ago, ZioSerpe said:

I personally think the SFV thread should have been conserved in perpetuity as the FGC general/shitposting thread and SF6 should have had the let's stick to the topic style to celebrate forever the fact that SFV was such a disaster that people pretty much had to talk about other games.

But if we gotta stay on topic:
Game's proper shaite init?

At least it gave us Laura, Menat and Kolin. 

And I guess Falke. 

4 hours ago, Hecatom said:

At least it gave us Laura, Menat and Kolin. 

And I guess Falke. 

I'll concede on Menat, fantastic character (therefore not in the leaked roster because either people at capcom are as dumb as ever or because they wanna use her as DLC bait).
Laura, I can fuck with but her story was horrid
Kolin and Falke can fuck right off.

3 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I'll concede on Menat, fantastic character (therefore not in the leaked roster because either people at capcom are as dumb as ever or because they wanna use her as DLC bait).
Laura, I can fuck with but her story was horrid
Kolin and Falke can fuck right off.

I assume your disdain for them is gameplay related 😅

TBH, I have a bias towards Kolin since I mained her alongside Cammy, Sakura Laura and R.Mika.

I have played with Menat as well, but sadly I am not really good with her (Not that I am particularly good with the others, but I am a little more competent, lol)

I would say that I hope that they make it to SF6 (even Falke), mostly because I think their gameplay and character designs are really good, and it will be a waste that they are relegated to only SFV.

I've been playing a bit over the weekend and I can say that there are definitely a lot fo aspects I really don't want to see return in SF6. Thankfully Croush Counters and V-Trigger are already out, so that's two big issues solved.

One thing I also really hope doesn't happen again are easy-to-use characters that are top tier. On the highest level that might not make that much a difference but let me tell you it's incredibly frustrating to run into a Luke and having to think four steps in advance even though his player is just rolling with his face over the pad.

7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

One thing I definitely don't want back for SF6 is being crossed up in the corner. It sucked in SF4, it sucked here and it should be fixed in 6

That's always been a thing in all SF tho? 

Like it's true in Strive and is one of the things I had to adjust to.

I'd like Falke to return. Just change her hairstyle, lipstick, clothes, voice, and super.  Totally fine.

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

Hate to break it to you but that's not gonna change.  

It doesn’t really make a difference to me either way. On the one hand it really doesn’t make any sense, but on the other if the other person is willing to corner themself for a mixup I say they should be allowed to do it 

6 hours ago, delete_me said:

Well I'll keep venting for a while. Today, for example, I'd like to point out that the Luke tier-whoring is kind of annoying.

I also just played Imstilldadaddy who kind of jumps around like Super Mario all the time in ranked.

Luke attracts the type of players that just do constant dumb shit, and get away with a lot of it because the character is OP.  I fought one yesterday that was mashing ex dp during every block string and also mindlessly doing cr.mk into ex elbow.  It's worse than fighting flowchart Ken 😧  . 

Yeah, he's a really shitty addition this late into the game. While I doubt SFV will turn into a fan favourite after SF6's release, it's still annoying to see Capcom mess up the balance of the very final version of the game, just like they did with USFIV.

Most other characters are in a good spot and it's usually just a matchup thing if someone feels stupidly strong but Luke is just a problem all the time. Does he even have "bad" matchups? Maybe Dhalsim?

3 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Do you guys think Capcom will release a Ultra SF5 next year when 6 drops? 

It seems like easy money.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's what Championship Edition was slated to be until SF6's development got pushed back and they released a bonus season. Honestly wouldn't surprised if such a release was multi platform. I can't imagine Sony has lifetime console exclusivity. 

22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I wouldn't be surprised. It's what Championship Edition was slated to be until SF6's development got pushed back and they released a bonus season. Honestly wouldn't surprised if such a release was multi platform. I can't imagine Sony has lifetime console exclusivity. 

Supposedly they do have a lifetime exclusivity since it was done in full partnership.

If it was a timed exclusivity, those only last around 1 year, with few notable exceptions.

5 hours ago, delete_me said:

Yeah, he's a really shitty addition this late into the game. While I doubt SFV will turn into a fan favourite after SF6's release, it's still annoying to see Capcom mess up the balance of the very final version of the game, just like they did with USFIV.

Most other characters are in a good spot and it's usually just a matchup thing if someone feels stupidly strong but Luke is just a problem all the time. Does he even have "bad" matchups? Maybe Dhalsim?

Yeah Sim and some of the other zoners 'apparently' give him some problems, although I haven't really seen it personally.  It feels like he beats both of my characters because he seems to do what they do just better.   With most shoto types I can react with sway or ex tenko but Luke's sandblast projectile is too fast.  Neutral against him feels like a huge chore.  

Anyway, I hope they make him easier to fight in 6.  

He probably loses to "limb zoners" like Sim and Poison but he really doesn't care about fireballs. I certainly don't think he loses to Rose, that's for sure. He wins the fireball war and beats her up for free close range. There's a very delicate sweet spot where she has the advantage but every breath he takes moves him forward automatically because otherwise you'd have to think when playing him I suppose.

With SF6 there's the advantage of him being in the base roster and Capcom having multiple opportunities to adjust him over the game's lifespan. 

On 6/10/2022 at 5:09 PM, delete_me said:

He probably loses to "limb zoners" like Sim and Poison but he really doesn't care about fireballs. I certainly don't think he loses to Rose, that's for sure. He wins the fireball war and beats her up for free close range. There's a very delicate sweet spot where she has the advantage but every breath he takes moves him forward automatically because otherwise you'd have to think when playing him I suppose.

With SF6 there's the advantage of him being in the base roster and Capcom having multiple opportunities to adjust him over the game's lifespan. 

IIRC wasn't Filipinoman confident in the Rose vs Luke matchup?

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

I have no idea but Rose players never agree on anything either way. I remember seeing two matchup charts back-to-back where one had Gief as a 7-3 and the other had him as 3-7.  (And to make my point, personally I see it as a 5-5.)

I don't know enough about Rose to say either way and it's hard to judge by Filipinoman because he's the best Rose player I've seen in SFV. So how much of it Rose and how much of it is him. It's kind of like Kichipamu, he makes Zangief look like a far stronger character than he actually is. At least with Rose, I've seen a few players use her effectively. So she's at bare minimum a solid character.

She's okay. Her problem is that she has some of the worst matchups I've experienced in this game. As in "look at the VS screen, get up and get yourself a drink instead" levels of awful. But I don't think Luke is one of those, it's just that he doesn't have to commit or overthink his approach whereas she definitely does – and because we're all human that gives the Luke player an inherent advantage. It's like that Fei-Long vs. Gen meme from SFIV where one character can just do it! while the other has to plan five steps in advance.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

She's okay. Her problem is that she has some of the worst matchups I've experienced in this game. As in "look at the VS screen, get up and get yourself a drink instead" levels of awful. But I don't think Luke is one of those, it's just that he doesn't have to commit or overthink his approach whereas she definitely does – and because we're all human that gives the Luke player an inherent advantage. It's like that Fei-Long vs. Gen meme from SFIV where one character can just do it! while the other has to plan five steps in advance.

Is there a way to reliably block that Rose fireball air teleport mix up?  I've been getting bopped by it quite a bit and haven't found a consistent way out.  

With the proper setup it's always a true 50:50 for the opponent, so there's no realiable way to block. The answer to it is V-Shift and that really is the answer because my immediate thought when seeing it happen is usually "well, there goes my comeback".

One thing you have to pay attention though with certain setups is whether or not Soul Punish (Normal or EX) is out as well. If it is, you can only use V-Shift but not V-Break, because the Orb is active long enough to catch the latter's recovery. 

Also, as a general rule, don't quick rise after getting hit by Soul Bind if she has VT1 activated.

8 hours ago, delete_me said:

With the proper setup it's always a true 50:50 for the opponent, so there's no realiable way to block. The answer to it is V-Shift and that really is the answer because my immediate thought when seeing it happen is usually "well, there goes my comeback".

One thing you have to pay attention though with certain setups is whether or not Soul Punish (Normal or EX) is out as well. If it is, you can only use V-Shift but not V-Break, because the Orb is active long enough to catch the latter's recovery. 

Also, as a general rule, don't quick rise after getting hit by Soul Bind if she has VT1 activated.

Ah I definitely used V-break and it didn't work, I'll try V-shift next time.  I kind of auto pilot quick/back rise, so I'll have to make that adjustment as well.  Thanks.  

Every Guile I fight uses VS1.  Learning matchups in general is a pain in this game, when you have learn to fight the character plus their VT and VS.   I fought a Cammy using VT2 the other night, and took me a good while to figure out what was going on.  At one moment she was skating on my head and the next she was grabbing me into a combo.  Literally had never seen it before until now.  

4 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Every Guile I fight uses VS1.  Learning matchups in general is a pain in this game, when you have learn to fight the character plus their VT and VS.   I fought a Cammy using VT2 the other night, and took me a good while to figure out what was going on.  At one moment she was skating on my head and the next she was grabbing me into a combo.  Literally had never seen it before until now.  

IIRC @Doctrine_Darkis a VT2 Cammy. He's probably be the best person to get advice from.

Agreed with the matchup thing. The other day some Abigail kicked his VS2 tire in my face for a KO. I knew that stuff was possible but it's been probably a year since I last saw it and also probably only the second time overall, so yeah, whatever. But also, screw Abigail anyway.

I don't think I've ever faced a Cammy with VT2 though. Maybe on the day when that patch came out with the second V-Skills but certainly not since. But Cammy in general has kind of died out, at least on the playing field I get matched up with (Platinum and Diamond). Seems like everyone's back on the shoto train with some Luke and Guile sprinkled in between.

Edited by delete_me

It's a bit hilarious how this game's matchmaking goes completely down the toilet by the time you reach Diamond. I just got matched up with someone who literally had 490.000 points more than me. That's like putting a tennis racket in your baby's hand and letting him play Roger Federer because you're a sadist.

Once you reach Diamond the game just lets you play with anyone from Ultra Platinum to Warlord.

I think it's probably more vexing for the players in the upper brackets that have to play random diamonds that lose very little when they lose, but if they ever manage to random out two rounds in a game they get a shitton of points.

It would probably be ideal if the players at Diamond ranks were all matched together and Master to Warlord were in a separate group.  Problem is there just aren't that many players above Master so those players would basically never get matches.  

I do find it interesting getting matched up with Warlords though.  To see what they're doing compared to what I'm doing at my rank.  

On 6/25/2022 at 9:14 PM, HeavensCloud said:

It would probably be ideal if the players at Diamond ranks were all matched together and Master to Warlord were in a separate group.  Problem is there just aren't that many players above Master so those players would basically never get matches.  

They gain nothing from playing Diamond players though. Everyone from that rank I came across so far was just toying with me. It's a waste of time for both of us (and arguably disrespectful) so they should just make a cut-off point somewhere. I'll be honest, I saw some 500k points Menat the other day and just left on the VS screen because that would have been an absolutely miserable experience.

But to be fair it only happens every once in a while, so the game does kind of prioritise people around your rank for matchmaking. It's just a bit weird that there's no upper limit anymore.

14 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I checked some of CEO's entry numbers.

Strive - 559

Tekken 7 - 294

KofXV - 236

SFV - 229

I don't think I can remember a time where all three of those series had more entrants than SF at a major event. 🤔 

It has happened a lot of times, it mostly  dependeds of the major, for example, CEO has for most of its existence focused on other fgs than sf and mvc, same for combo breaker and frosty faustings. 

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

It has happened a lot of times, it mostly  dependeds of the major, for example, CEO has for most of its existence focused on other fgs than sf and mvc, same for combo breaker and frosty faustings. 

The way I understood it was that CEO was Capcom focused since SF4 era, which was by far the most popular game at the time. Jebailey made CEOtaku to cater to anime audiences. I'm also specifically talking about these 3 series, at the same time.

I'm only now finding out that CEO 2022 was not Capcom Pro Tour sponsored.

• 3 weeks later...