Stage Select

How Often Do You Go To The Theater?

How many times do you go to the theater each month?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How many times do you go to the theater each month?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • 11+

.833 times a month lol.

I see about 8 movies over the summer and usually 2 in November-Dec. So 10/ 1 calendar year on average.

Though this is changing in the last few years with movies like Deadpool/Black Panther/Kingsman making  mid February  a new popular time.

Also, March/April seem to be getting more tentpole movies nowadays like Fast and Furious.

I like that they are spreading out movies a little more through the year.

Pretty rarely. The relatively high cost of ticket prices ends up scaring me off most of the time. If I'm flying solo it isn't so bad but if its my wife and I going, at that point I can probably buy it digitally/on Amazon for the same price as seeing it once.

I'll make the trip if the movie has me really excited to see it - I've been in the theater for every John Wick and I'll damn sure be there for the 3rd - or if I think the experience will be seriously enhanced by being seen in the theater I'm willing to pony up.

not that often, actually...even though the movie theater experience is kind of a big deal to me... there's still only a few types of movies that demand that experience, imo.  Lately that's just been comic book movies and some horror---specifically the new It.

I still think it's odd and kinda sad that a certain friend has given up on the movie theater experience completely, purely out of cheapness.  He's automatically factoring in the price of his girlfriend's ticket, along with any snacks he or she wants...(*he never considers going alone since the concern there is that she'd find out somehow and of course he'd be "in trouble" 😆)  This guy hasn't gone to the movie theater probably since the early 90s.  Now---I'm a proud cheapskate too but DAMN, man....that's a bit too far in hardcore cheapness even for me.  Yeah dude, have fun waiting on things like Avengers Infinity War to hit blu-ray and dvd, and trying to avoid random spoilers the entire time when literally every other fan has seen the shit. 

This is also annoying because it makes conversation quite difficult, obviously....since every time you bring up some movie (or shows since he's typically behind on those) it's always -"hey whoah I haven't seen that shit yet.." 🙄 oy vey, man

I usually go for a matinee which is 7.70 here,but if you go between 4-530pm,you can get a ticket for 6.30.

I try to to go for those ,and not buy any concessions and then get a light dinner like a Jimmy John's, Moe's which is in the adjacent plaza.(9-10$)

Buying a large popcorn and drink here is 16$ so for me it isn't worth it because it's not a full meal ,just snacks.

I

yeah and that's the funny thing... I'd bring up that you can either smuggle in your own food (heh, mom did it all the time when we were kids and she'd take us to the movies; I've known the dude since we were about 9 so he's like an occasionally annoying little brother).....OR you could just not have food at all during the movie to avoid the terrible prices at the concessions area.  He still considers the ticket prices themselves as "ahhh see that's too much.." 😆 Sheeeeit, at 10 bucks and change, you avoid eating out maybe 2 days in the week and *bam* you got enough to cover that.

On another note-- I don't usually eat or drink anything in a theater anyway....at least for me, eating something slightly distracts me from the main attraction of the movie itself; I want the movie to have my completely devoted attention.... and of course drinks raise the problem of possibly making you want to go piss before the movie is over.  Yep, I don't even want to *risk* missing something in that movie I just paid to see.

The movie theater in my mall was turned into one of those upscale AMC theaters with the plush recliners.  Every seat has its own dinner tray and they let you order food like it's a restaurant.  It's pretty neat but the food is a bit expensive and other people can be so noisy when they're eating (clinking utensils on their plates etc.)  Sadly I don't see many shows there anymore.

One time many years ago I went to a theater in the early morning with my family and the whole place was empty.  So naturally we bought McDonald's breakfast (hotcakes, biscuits, etc.) and had our breakfast with forks and knives and everything while we watched the  movie.

I go on average about 3 times a month. My wife and I like to watch movies in the theater, especially since I can order tix online and pick our seats, which are big recliners. Since I quit drinking I found I have a little more disposable income, and going to check out movies is a fun night out for me these days.

We always hit up Walgreens on the way there for some snacks, but will get popcorn sometimes.

Last week we watched A Quiet Place. There were probably five other couples in the theater and right during a silent part (which was pretty much the entire movie) a dude in the front row ripped a giant fart that echoed throughout the theater. We spent the next 10 minutes crying we were laughing so hard. But it was the kind of laugh where you have to hold it in because you don't want to make any more noise, especially for that particular movie. You know, the kind of laugh like when you're in class cracking up with a friend but you don't want the teacher to see you laughing or you'll get kicked out of class. 

Edited by Chadouken
  • 4 weeks later...

Cell phones killed the theater for me.

40" 4K Samsung >>>>> theater, anymore, for me.

It isn't a matter of the pros of each, so much as how the cons of the current meta are so imbalanced, that they make the benefits of the theater pointedly moot.

Edited by JHDK
13 hours ago, JHDK said:

Cell phones killed the theater for me.

40" 4K Samsung >>>>> theater, anymore, for me.

It isn't a matter of the pros of each, so much as how the cons of the current meta are so imbalanced, that they make the benefits of the theater pointedly moot.

I mean, I had a projector, movie seats, and surround in my basement at home -- I still went to the theater occasionally.  At least right now even if you have a huge TV there is still nothing that is going to be bigger than the screen at a theater.  No sound system as loud either.  I think it's still worth it if I ever manage to get off my lazy ass.

9 hours ago, misterBee said:

I mean, I had a projector, movie seats, and surround in my basement at home -- I still went to the theater occasionally.  At least right now even if you have a huge TV there is still nothing that is going to be bigger than the screen at a theater.  No sound system as loud either.  I think it's still worth it if I ever manage to get off my lazy ass.

One of my best friends from high school had the same kind of set up.

He even built a room in the basement around it.

Dude's closets were to DVDs as Tom Cruise's were to duffel bags in American Made.

He loves the art form.

EDIT:

But he was far from lazy.

In his heyday, he'd chain run a whole 8 screen multiplex on a Thursday.

Edited by JHDK
  • 3 years later...

I came here and find out that you are talking about to visit a theater. So, I want to suggest you a website perfect projector. This website has many home theater projectors. I am sure that you will really enjoying with these home theater projectors and this is very cheapest source of watching movie in home because you will pay money in theater for every movie but in home you will only pay one time money for projector and then enjoy!

Edited by Alan Roy