Stage Select

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle: Weeb Marvel

I tried to escape from crossing fate, but was unable to. 👹

Game definitely seems neat with more time in on it. I figured it had some hope mechanically when DevilJin was willing to buy in.

Playing Kanji + x to start. It feels good to play Kanji again even if he is pretty heavily remixed from P4AU (not like everyone isn't heavily remixed for this game). Right now I have Es riding shotgun since she a) has a big sword, b) has big boobs, and c) has some good projectiles so she seems like a good compliment. 

There are some things that are definitely throwing me off. I keep trying to dash by double tapping, and the fact that you can't super cancel outside of Resonance confused me at first. Also trying to get a sense of what to do for combo construction since you don't really have normals to work with; seems to be more about stringing together the autocombo components, specials, and assists. Even with not knowing much I was able to string together what seem like some decent combos (hitting around the 7k range).

Definitely looking forward to playing more. Gonna try to split time between SFV and this tonight after work. 

Combo construction seems pretty simple to me.  Hit A or B until you get to the starter you want, then go from there.  Some characters like Yukiko only get certain normals if you are holding back, which makes certain inputs interesting.  I haven't done too many combos involving two characters yet but seems fun.  I thought not being able to dash forward would fuck with  me, but the constant run is actually pretty neat.

Let's set up some games today!

Yeah it actually threw me because it is easier than I expected. I figured that it would be similar to P4A or DBFZ where you'd want to use part of the auto-combo string to get the combo started then continue from there, but since the auto combos are the only real way you're going to get chains you use them more than I thought you would. Its much closer to P4A (or at least my experience with Kanji in that) which is sort of nice.

I'm definitely up for trying to get some games in today. Sort of depends on how much time I get between work and class in the evening but I'll hit you up if I have enough time to run some sets.

If not today, definitely soon. I'm interested to see how the online holds up; the beta worked really well for me so hopefully that is still the case.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah it actually threw me because it is easier than I expected. I figured that it would be similar to P4A or DBFZ where you'd want to use part of the auto-combo string to get the combo started then continue from there, but since the auto combos are the only real way you're going to get chains you use them more than I thought you would. Its much closer to P4A (or at least my experience with Kanji in that) which is sort of nice.

I'm definitely up for trying to get some games in today. Sort of depends on how much time I get between work and class in the evening but I'll hit you up if I have enough time to run some sets.

If not today, definitely soon. I'm interested to see how the online holds up; the beta worked really well for me so hopefully that is still the case.

Sounds good!  You got a better way to message ppl besides PSN or forum PMs?  Maybe Whatsapp or something like that?  Last few times I almost missed your messages -- lucky I checked my e-mail in time.

4 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Sounds good!  You got a better way to message ppl besides PSN or forum PMs?  Maybe Whatsapp or something like that?  Last few times I almost missed your messages -- lucky I checked my e-mail in time.

I'm up for using something like that. I already have discord so maybe we could make an srk2 server or something like that for game coordination.

That said I don't have a preference on anything. If there is something that you've found works well I'm all for using that. Just let me know.

@misterBee GGs man, sorry we got such a late start. I got sort of lost in training mode for a minute (its really fun to try to figure out team combos turns out) and being befuddled by not being able to player invite to a room.

Game is fun! Connection actually reminded me of P4A: little hiccup at the start every once in awhile but the matches ran smooth after that. Definitely looking forward to playing more.

Still haven't bought it, besides the lack of Bullet, I am afraid spending 60 bucks on a game that I might not be able to play down the line on PC because the player base disappeared.

Also the Roster didn't seem to have 2 characters that I am interested in.\

But I've seen Orie now and I'm leaning towards forking out the money.

FWIW Cross Tag is one of the more fun games mechanically I've played out of the recent crop. It seems relatively shallow but there is actually a lot to dig into and work on, and it seems like the game could go really interesting places for the people who stick with it.

I think the player base concerns are real though. ArcSys has a lot more eyes on them thanks to DBFZ but Cross Tag is still likely to be anime niche. Very likely even more niche because its a tag game crossing over several strains of high grade weeb.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't escape the crossing fate, and oh my god I love this game.

I'm a changed man, I enjoy an assist fighter now.

I'd be happier if Jubei wasn't ass, or at least ass in combination with Orie, but I suppose Es will do until new DLC characters are introduced.

I'm quite sure my poor Bullet has no chance of being in because I don't see her drive being implemented in the game in a realistic way.

I'm super interested in trying Yuzuriha from UNIEL and Mitsuru from P4A, they look very cool.

Good shit man. Glad you like it!

@misterBee and I managed to play a chunk of games over the weekend. Fun as hell. 

I definitely need to practice more than not at all. I'm way too mashy and I don't really know how to use my team. Although I'm also not 100% sure what my team is gonna be. I've been using Kanji and Es - Es is fantastic but (as misterBee mentioned during our games) Kanji very well may be a big pile 'o butts in this game. He has a lot of wind up on his normals (or at least it feels like it, haven't seen frames for this game) and his solo damage is okay but nothing amazing (which is less of a big deal now but more of an issue when you need to start assist covering bursts). 

I think he may need to make up the difference with command grabs and the command grab super but I'm not sure how well that will work out in game. Also may get better as I work on covering some things with assists. Or just using assists better in general. 🙂 

But worse comes to worse there are a shitload of other chars to pick from.

7 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I couldn't escape the crossing fate, and oh my god I love this game.

I'm a changed man, I enjoy an assist fighter now.

I'd be happier if Jubei wasn't ass, or at least ass in combination with Orie, but I suppose Es will do until new DLC characters are introduced.

I'm quite sure my poor Bullet has no chance of being in because I don't see her drive being implemented in the game in a realistic way.

I'm super interested in trying Yuzuriha from UNIEL and Mitsuru from P4A, they look very cool.

CAN'T ESCAPE FROM CROSSING FATE BABY

@GetTheTables I found a new dream team. n_n

That's true but that is also sort of the usual tier list stuff. Its like saying that Jin does xyz better. On the general scale Hakumen seems pretty good, if not in that upper crust.

Managed to finally get some time to just sit and dick around with the game yesterday. Its fun to mess around with combos, of course, and I kind of dig how they have the training mode menus set up. Its not what I'm used to (which at this point is mostly SFV with some UNIEL training time) but it has all the functions I've wanted when I've gone to look for them, usually easily accessible. 

At first I thought Es/Kanji didn't really work together as a pair but I think generally they'd be fine. For Kanji I've been testing Chair on hit. It seems to work like Laura's LP Bolt in that it leaves him in front of the opponent on +frames (I'm not sure how much but it seems to be enough for even his slow ass normal to CH if they mash on response). Maybe my testing was fucked up but if I'm right that is pretty neat.

Also messed around with some new chars, only superficially though. Yang seems pretty rad and is also a pretty compelling argument as to why you may not get Bullet in this game; they're not the exact same, but they're certainly design cousins. Tried out Hakumen as well though I've always liked the idea of that character more than actually playing him. Might be different in this game.

Yeah I think that is accurate, especially in a game with this many characters and thus other, better/more fun options. He has the same problems he did in P4A IMO: he does good damage when he can get to it but getting there is a pain in the ass and given the structure of the game I don't feel like his archetype's pros pay off relative to it's cons.

That said I'm still gonna fuck around with him more out of pure fondness and P4A nostalgia. Eventually I can see dropping him due to "fuck this" and when that time comes hopefully the full DLC cast will be out and I can pick from the lot.

I sort of have the issue that I never liked BB character designs that much (purely aesthetically) so the biggest % of the cast doesn't call out to me. However I am a sucker for anime titty monsters and thankfully BB still delivers on that front. 😉 

3 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

I sort of have the issue that I never liked BB character designs that much (purely aesthetically) so the biggest % of the cast doesn't call out to me. However I am a sucker for anime titty monsters and thankfully BB still delivers on that front. 😉 

Pick a game.  Any anime game.  Use whatever big-boobed chars you like.  I probably play the game already.  I WILL CRUSH YOU.

Translation: I'll play BB with you too if you want. 🙃

11 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

That's true but that is also sort of the usual tier list stuff. Its like saying that Jin does xyz better. On the general scale Hakumen seems pretty good, if not in that upper crust.

Managed to finally get some time to just sit and dick around with the game yesterday. Its fun to mess around with combos, of course, and I kind of dig how they have the training mode menus set up. Its not what I'm used to (which at this point is mostly SFV with some UNIEL training time) but it has all the functions I've wanted when I've gone to look for them, usually easily accessible. 

At first I thought Es/Kanji didn't really work together as a pair but I think generally they'd be fine. For Kanji I've been testing Chair on hit. It seems to work like Laura's LP Bolt in that it leaves him in front of the opponent on +frames (I'm not sure how much but it seems to be enough for even his slow ass normal to CH if they mash on response). Maybe my testing was fucked up but if I'm right that is pretty neat.

Also messed around with some new chars, only superficially though. Yang seems pretty rad and is also a pretty compelling argument as to why you may not get Bullet in this game; they're not the exact same, but they're certainly design cousins. Tried out Hakumen as well though I've always liked the idea of that character more than actually playing him. Might be different in this game.

Laura's LP bolt is -2

Yang is nothing like Bullet

image.gif?w=500&c=1

One's a rushdown the other is a grappler

The reason Bullet ain't gonna make it is because I don't see how they can implement her drive in a BBtag

Edited by ZioSerpe
5 hours ago, misterBee said:

Pick a game.  Any anime game.  Use whatever big-boobed chars you like.  I probably play the game already.  I WILL CRUSH YOU.

Translation: I'll play BB with you too if you want. 🙃

Goddammit man I already don't have enough time to keep up with all the games I've bought and you want me to buy one more?

If it CF or whatever the "final" version of it is goes on sale again on PSN I may pick it up. I always bounced off the BB games but maybe I could find a char to get me stuck in this time.

1 hour ago, ZioSerpe said:

Laura's LP bolt is -2

Yang is nothing like Bullet

image.gif?w=500&c=1

One's a rushdown the other is a grappler

The reason Bullet ain't gonna make it is because I don't see how they can implement her drive in a BBtag

LP Bolt is -2 on block, +2 on hit. Similar to the chair situation though I have no clue what the actual #s are; just seems to be + enough that Kanji can still pressure after. However he has a harder lot in life than she does in this game due to the increased mobility and universal DP system.

The thing with Bullet and Yang is that they feel similarly designed from an aesthetic and gimmick standpoint to me (exploded fire big boobie lady), but that is probably just coincidence and the big boobs.

I think they could make any character work in this system with enough fudging of mechanics. Biggest knock against Bullet or anyone else at this point is that the DLC leaks seem to be all but officially confirmed so anyone not in that list isn't coming until they do another round. If they do though I'll be pulling for Bullet as well (giggity).

Also weeb marvel made it to page 2. 🎆

17 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Goddammit man I already don't have enough time to keep up with all the games I've bought and you want me to buy one more?

If it CF or whatever the "final" version of it is goes on sale again on PSN I may pick it up. I always bounced off the BB games but maybe I could find a char to get me stuck in this time.

LP Bolt is -2 on block, +2 on hit. Similar to the chair situation though I have no clue what the actual #s are; just seems to be + enough that Kanji can still pressure after. However he has a harder lot in life than she does in this game due to the increased mobility and universal DP system.

The thing with Bullet and Yang is that they feel similarly designed from an aesthetic and gimmick standpoint to me (exploded fire big boobie lady), but that is probably just coincidence and the big boobs.

I think they could make any character work in this system with enough fudging of mechanics. Biggest knock against Bullet or anyone else at this point is that the DLC leaks seem to be all but officially confirmed so anyone not in that list isn't coming until they do another round. If they do though I'll be pulling for Bullet as well (giggity).

Also weeb marvel made it to page 2. 🎆

I'm super sick right now and I get very confused I thought you were talking on block, you clearly were not.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally managed to sit down and get in some online matches with this game. Connections were good throughout and overall I had fun. Stuck with Kanji/Es just because that is what I've used the most of and it worked surprisingly well (not that it was amazing or anything but I figured it would be straight booty). Even ran into two other people using Kanji.

The one anecdote I came out of it with was from the first guy I played against. We played 3 or so sets and it was pretty fun. I figured we were decently matched so we could play for a bit and I could work on actually doing combos in matches. After the 3rd set he bails and starts messaging me in game. "Why spam DP? You are good player so why resort to that."

If you keep jumping and attacking me non-stop, of course I'm gonna DP out of it. Bait and punish! He seemed to be done at that point so I moved on. But damn man, if you can't deal with DPs this is not gonna be the game for you.

The last guy I played was really fun. He was running Team OTP: Naoto and Kanji and he had combos, burst baits, and good punishes. And thankfully he hung around for a good number of sets so I got to see more of that kind of play. He didn't have a problem with DPs. 😉 

Edited by GetTheTables
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...