Stage Select

Dead Or Alive 6 Thread

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

Not in the arcade, but I did play it a bit later on other platforms.  I think DOA2 on dreamcast was the most DOA I've ever played. ❤️

Same.

Hayate for life.

Jiggle physics are the reward for hitting, not being hit.

Think about it.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, Onyxe said:

Glad to see folks hyped about Dead or Alive 6. Can't wait for them to reveal Marie Rose, Tina, Mila, Lisa, Nyo Tengu, and Rig. I hope they bring back Naotora and the VF characters

Um, they wanna tone down the sexy because they want their game to be more "TV Friendly" for Tounaments, Meanwhile Soul Calibur 6 has more jiggling going on than a Jello factory in an Earthquake, and they've been tourney friendly for years? 

KuTyuw9.gif

Man, The Tourney can set their own rules.  If you're trying to bend over to appease people who won't buy your game over people who do, you're gonna have a lot more to worry about than whether or not your game makes it onto a big screen.

3 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Um, they wanna tone down the sexy because they want their game to be more "TV Friendly" for Tounaments, Meanwhile Soul Calibur 6 has more jiggling going on than a Jello factory in an Earthquake, and they've been tourney friendly for years?

Sure, a part of it is esports and tourneys, but what they are really trying to overcome is reputation.

Over the years people have given DOA the short end of the stick because the stereotype is that it's the game that weirdos and pervs play.  More than anything else this is about trying to rebrand.

They want the game to succeed, and in order to do that they need to grow.  Part of that involves making the game appeal to more people than it has in the past, and one of the first steps is moving away from shit like DOA Xtreme.  Some hardcore fans will cry about it, but I can totally understand why they might want to do this.

There's one problem.  "Stereotypes" really shouldn't bother them.  After all it wasn't too long ago that videogames as a whole was the domain of weirdos, and look at where we are today.  Since I'm not a fly on the wall in DOA headquarters, I'm just hopping that what I said above isn't the truth.  Don't sacrifice your real fans trying to appease people who aren't and may never be your fans.  Just ask the comic book industry how well that particular tactic has worked out for their growth and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT:  Aw crap.  That didn't take long.

Edited by Deadly_Raver
found the video evidence.
3 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

There's one problem.  "Stereotypes" really shouldn't bother them.  After all it wasn't too long ago that videogames as a whole was the domain of weirdos, and look at where we are today.  Since I'm not a fly on the wall in DOA headquarters, I'm just hopping that what I said above isn't the truth.  Don't sacrifice your real fans trying to appease people who aren't and may never be your fans.  Just ask the comic book industry how well that particular tactic has worked out for their growth and you'll see what I mean.

While you are right that this will alienate some hardcore fans, I think it's wrong to say that it won't attract some people.

Comics are a weird example because the issue with the comics industry isn't the stories themselves.  A  lot of the reason traditional comics are failing is that nobody goes to a dedicated comic book store anymore.  Comic book stores are rare, and even when someone stumbles upon one they go inside to find impenetrable lore and 20 page books that cost 4 dollars.  Not only that, but they face stiff competition from other forms of entertainment.

I read a LOT of comics, and I really liked the new version of Captain Marvel, etc.  It was a tough situation though because the small and dedicated audience for Western comics are obsessed with reading about the same characters for all eternity.  For every new reader they brought in by mixing things up, they lost another one that was dedicated to the old ways.  They can't make new characters because 'fans' refuse to read books that aren't the big names that have been around for almost 100 years.  When they try to change old ones there are tears.

Seriously - one of the biggest X-Men events to happen in the last few years is that they brought Jean Grey back.  People were acting like it was the greatest thing ever. Seriously?  The thing that makes people happy is...making everything the way it was before?  Hardcore fans of ANYTHING will be happy to have the status quo forever.

I sincerely hope they can find a nice balance. While I fell in love with DOA's story and characters. I would be a liar if I didn't appreciate the sex appeal in the series. I hope some girls get the more mature treatment "Kasumi, Helena, Rachel, Lisa" and some more sexy "Tina, Christie, Nyo Tengu, and Lei Feng". Trying to appeal to one audience just to lose your long time fans isn't wise to me

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Is the DOA situation really about "SJW"s or is it the result of Team Ninja continuing to move away from Itagaki's vision?

It sure smells that way to me and to others.  They already tried a similar thing with DOA5, only to have the sales tank.  Next thing you know, they're releasing wave after wave of DLC costumes filled to the brim with fanservice.  I think there was even some Cho Aniki type mods for the male characters.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:31 AM, Deadly_Raver said:

It sure smells that way to me and to others.  They already tried a similar thing with DOA5, only to have the sales tank.  Next thing you know, they're releasing wave after wave of DLC costumes filled to the brim with fanservice.  I think there was even some Cho Aniki type mods for the male characters.

Wasn't DOA5 the first DOA without Itagaki? Ninja Gaiden 3 lacked gore until the Wii U version. They only put it back after fans complained about the 360/PS3 version. I think Team Ninja wants to get away from Itagaki's style but they are hamstrung by fan expectations. Japanese developer's seem to not give a fuck about "SJW"s. That seems to be a western dev thing.  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a Nintendo game. The character designs are provactive and the game has boob physics out of DOA2.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

It makes the most sense to push marketing as "hey this is a for real fighting game and not just a jiggle festival". Ideally it lets them pull in a bigger market of people with the core product and they can cater to certain proclivities of their fanbase with DLC as they see fit.

And if the game sells like shit they can always break the emergency glass and release the super slutty costumes en masse to generate big 'ol buckets of post release money.

The most critical question is: 

Will Mila make it back????

I would legit give that game a shot if she makes the cut and the netcode is okay.

1 hour ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Yep.  It does appear that Itagaki wasn't around for DOA5.  not sure about 4.  It seems to me that there were some mixed feelings concerning his departure,mostly among the fans more than the developers.  

Itagaki took the bulk of his allies with him. A lot of Team Ninja fans were excited for his new team Valhalla Game Studios but the only thing they've done is Devil's Third...

On 6/14/2018 at 10:09 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a Nintendo game. The character designs are provactive and the game has boob physics out of DOA2.

Is this game good?  I didn't like the first one that much.

Only Xeno game I've ever liked so far has been Xenosaga.  All others (Xenosaga, Xenoblade) haven't appealed to me.

21 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Is this game good?  I didn't like the first one that much.

Only Xeno game I've ever liked so far has been Xenosaga.  All others (Xenosaga, Xenoblade) haven't appealed to me.

I really  enjoy it but if you didn't like the first Xenoblade then I'm not sure if you'd like it. It's more like Xenoblade 1 than Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's more story focused but there is still a huge world with a ridiculous number of quests outside of the main game. The most commendable thing to me is the quality of the quests. Most games with a large number of side quests feature quests of so so quality. The side quests in XB2 seem to have been given the same care as the main quests.

The game reminds me of how games used to be. The amount of content in this game is astounding at times. Without a Wiki, you'd spend hundreds of hours trying to complete them all. You'd probably still hit 100 hours with a Wiki.  Only real downer is the docked performance hangs around the long end of the dynamic scaling. The artstyle may not be appealing as well. I've gotten used to it. Side note: They got various artists from multiple major Japanese franchises to design the Blades. Sometimes you can tell just by looking the Blades art who the artist is.

Edit: I'd make a thread for the game but I don't how many people here have it.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
  • 1 month later...