Stage Select

Transformers Thread

Given how much TF stuff I post in the Saloon thread, some probably think this is unnecessary, but I don't want to spam that thread too much, so here we go.

Rules: Be civil and respectful. 

No nudity,racism/sexism/political discussion.

Have fun.

Pics , art, video reviews, music,humorous stuff , sales or recommendations are all welcome!

Third party bootleg discussion is also allowed.  (there's such a wide range of stuff that is cool that many casual fans may not know about)

Edited by DangerousJ

Since Leonard Nimoy first appeared in Transformers  32 years ago, I suppose this is coming full circle...

Star Trek vs Transformers comic mini -series

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-idw-comic-is-mashing-up-star-trek-and-transformer-1826960426

io9 can exclusively reveal that this September will see the launch of Star Trek vs. Transformers, a new crossover miniseries from the creative team of writers John Barber and Mike Johnson, alongside artist Philip Murphy and colorist Leonardo Ito. The series—which will run for four issues—is inspired by the aesthetic and continuities from the cartoon iterations of both Trek and Transformers: the 1973 cult classic Star Trek: The Animated Series, and the original 1984 Transformers show.

Edited by DangerousJ
On 6/21/2018 at 3:17 PM, Deadly_Raver said:

hey. I ran into something called Power of the Primes online a few days ago.  Is this cannon?

To be honest, I havent watched any of them.

MAchinima had made some web shorts for Combiner Wars, Titans Return , and now this line.

They are 10 minute shorts and there are around 10 per series.

Ive heard that they arent that good in terms, but thery got PEter Cullen and Judd Nelson back.

I havent seen any mention that this is a "Canon" storyline in any articles or discussions.

Sorry I couldnt help lol

okay.  I didn't think so, but I figured I'd ask.  To be honest, they aren't all that good when stacked against G1 Transformers.  That horrific "Robots in disguise" shit that came on CN?  Yeah. they blow that shit out of the water at least.  

Come to think of it, I could hand a bag full of oldschool Transformers to a bunch of little kids and they would probably make a better storyline before the end of the day.

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

@DangerousJ Could you explain those to me?  Are those unofficial 3rd party products, like those really cool Chinese/Garage Kit Gundam models?

If so, how do they get away with just changing the names?  They clearly still use the same logos/designs.  Name change shouldn't be enough to get away from copyright issues.

They are unofficial Third party figures from Chinese companies.

The stickers/logos do NOT come with them. This person taking the photo probably just bought some from Toyhax/reprolabels and slapped them on.

All the 3p toys dont feature the terms "Autobot/Decepticon"  , "Cybertron", Starscream"  and have no  Hasbro logo.

My take on why they get away with it....

1) Chinese trademark law is harder to defend especially by western companies. (Bootlegs of so many things exist in China)

2) Certain "technologies" or features may be patented but not an exact appearance. Things like moving  positions of wheels or subtle things  are used to differentiate it from official product. While it looks similar to us fans, the courts may not agree.

3) In a weird way, Hasbro  has a "symbiotic" relationship with 3p. A lot of times, they look at what 3p products are popular and then try and do an official take on it.

Many 3p companies were doing updates of the combiner characters before 2015. With the exception of Fall of Cybertron Bruticus in 2012, Hasbro never made combiners in the Generations line till 2015's combiner Wars and that was probably because of all these companies doing updates.

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

They are unofficial Third party figures from Chinese companies.

The stickers/logos do NOT come with them. This person taking the photo probably just bought some from Toyhax/reprolabels and slapped them on.

All the 3p toys dont feature the terms "Autobot/Decepticon"  , "Cybertron", Starscream"  and have no  Hasbro logo.

My take on why they get away with it....

1) Chinese trademark law is harder to defend especially by western companies. (Bootlegs of so many things exist in China)

2) Certain "technologies" or features may be patented but not an exact appearance. Things like moving  positions of wheels or subtle things  are used to differentiate it from official product. While it looks similar to us fans, the courts may not agree.

3) In a weird way, Hasbro  has a "symbiotic" relationship with 3p. A lot of times, they look at what 3p products are popular and then try and do an official take on it.

Many 3p companies were doing updates of the combiner characters before 2015. With the exception of Fall of Cybertron Bruticus in 2012, Hasbro never made combiners in the Generations line till 2015's combiner Wars and that was probably because of all these companies doing updates.

The reason I ask is because third party kits are nothing new, but at least with Gundam these are usually very limited quantity and/or are kits for which no 'legitimate' version exists.

It's weird that Maketoys not only openly shows off their stuff online, but even has an official distributor in Japan and other countries.  Usually for this kind of thing you gotta go to a local shop and get it, or buy from a third party vendor online.  The way Maketoys does it seems so brazen.

Yeah it is a very weird thing.

There are so many dozens of these companies and each is releasing so many figures .

I dont own any yet, though I am thinking of getting Fans Toys sovereign (a 3p Masterpiece Galvatron) and QuakeWave (3p Masterpiece Shockwave).

Galvatron is my 2nd favorite character after Optimus and there is no official Galvatron official Masterpiece figure.

Shockwave DOES have a official MP figure but IMO Quakewave looks a lot better.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

How stable are these?  Usually combined ones don't pose well/fall apart easily, right?

In the G1 days, yes. But the modern ones are a lot better.

I have Superion,Menasor, Defensor,Bruticus and they are generally stable.

Superion is the best. Defensor/Bruticus lean forward but they can still be posed without falling apart.

I dont have Devastator, but despite his size, he is stable from video reviews I have watched.

Balance__scaled_800.jpg

Edited by DangerousJ

An early review for the exclusive Blast Off Shuttle version. 

This will only be online. No concrete date for USA.

This figure is a repaint of the Japan exclusive "shuttle "blast off with G1 colors.

The Jpn version had orange/brown colors for some reason.

(The 2015 American Blast Off was a repaint of the Aerialbot Slingshot/Firefly mold with G1 colors.)

OMG.  That cover...........................

*The crown jewel of the hasbro universe.*

KuTyuw9.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All kinds of no.  First of all,  Who's the fat bitch?  The only military unit she's fit for is the Salvation Army.  Next to her................Hold up.  Is that Aquaman?  I thought he was DC.............

Over to the right they went Oldschool as hell.  Everybody say it with me:  KAAAAAAAAAAANEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAA!!  If his weapon isn't a laser rifle this book will have to carry.................well, one MORE "L".  Now let's look at,"The Big Guy"   Yo homes.  Why you wearing a leotard?  WTF?  Go change brah.  Speaking of bros,  I'm gonna guess that the one with the glasses is a girl.  The main reason I'm saying that is because they would almost certainly make it an even team.  three guys, three girls.  Three black, three white.  Since I'm already choking on stereotypes, I'm betting that she's the,"Genius" of the team,  hence the glasses.  

Speaking of team.........................Let's get to the leader.  Um, Scarlet?  Is that you?  I mean,  it's either you or Billy Batson and I'm sure he didn't  get traded to Marvel soo.........

Starscream.  How the mighty have fallen.  look at his face.  Even HE knows this ain't right.  

I'm not gonna go over how there's none of the old favorites here.

All in all, that cover.  I just cannot................................

I award them no points, and may the fans have mercy upon their comic.

Edited by Deadly_Raver

The merging of their comic line happened a while back, but since I've never read Transformers or GI Joe comics I'm just finding out about it now.

The team in the first issue is Scarlett, Roadblock, Rock 'n Roll, Quick Kick, Wild Bill, and Shipwreck.  I know absolutely 0 GI Joe characters, old or new...but I think it's cool that Transformers are working with them.

Lot of news this week.

The new subline for Generations is SIEGE: WAR FOR CYBERTRON

It has nothing to do with the old WFC/FOC video games from 2010-2012.

These new toys will have cybertronian alt modes and have a more gritty look, with some battle damage decos.

The new "gimmick" is the return of the Targetmasters (small robots who become weapons). They are now called BATTLEMASTERS and can be melee weapons as well as guns. They come with "blast" effects.

Micromasters are also returning.

They will be sold in packs of 2 for $10 (G1 Micros used to come in packs of 4 )

These are renders/prototypes so the final version may look slightly different.

Optimus Prime (Voyager - 7 inch)

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Optimus-04.jpeg

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Optimus-01.jpeg

Sideswipe (deluxe 5 inch))

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Sideswipe-02.jpe

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Sideswipe-01.jpe

Firedrive (Battlemaster aka Targetmaster. Maybe 1-2 inch?)

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Firedrive-02.jpe

War-for-Cybertron-Siege-Firedrive-01.jpe

While these are slated to come out 2019, they will probably break street date and start Xmas 2018.

Also, John Warden stated that there are Decepticons and will reveal  them in the coming months.

Im definitely getting Sideswipe and Ironhide. 

I may even consider replacing my 2006 classics Optimus with this new one if reviews are good.

G1 Reissues will be coming to Wal-mart.

Certain G1 toys in mostly original 1980's packaging are slated to hit Walmart in the next few months.

IIRc toys R US had G1 Reissues in 2002-2004 or so.

Other than French language writing, the boxes are the same.

Starscream will have holes in his fists and come with a small Megatron in gun mode accessory.

Bumblebee comes with a cartoon face instead of og face plate.

DSC09363.jpg

DSC09364.jpg

DSC09362.jpg

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Yeah, but it says 'War for Cybertron Trilogy' on the bottom.  Weren't those the games that came out a few years ago?

It's a weird choice but Hasbro toy people said it has no relationship to the old games.

It's not the first time Hasbro's has reused a title.

Robots in disguise was used in 2001 and 2015 for 2 different toylines.