Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

10 hours ago, Reticently said:

"Never existed."

Hide contents

It was a little ham-fisted to just run into Bonnie in the middle of the ocean like that, but it's cool that we're finally going to see whatever the deal is with her.  Wasn't she escaping Marine captivity in a cover page aside a few years ago?

Spoiler

I know we saw her free acting like a tiny hobo sometime after the time skip despite previously seeing her getting caught by then Akainu after Blackbeard caught and then abandoned her to the Marines. 

Would be surprised if they killed Sabo off like that but the rest of folk definitely got screwed which is a shame.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, Sacr3D said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4283/one-piece-chapter-1060

So much going on in these chapters. So much teasing. I need ANSWERS!

Indeed...

Spoiler

First thing's first. Im's divine judgment, what a ridiculous display of power. I know that Sabo is alive unless those lasers were infused with haki or seastone energy, I'm pretty sure this was done by Uranus— one of the ancient weapons. I wouldn't surprise me that Im itself has control over it and maybe it was reinvented by Vegapunk. The crazy part is how it was able to mete out punishment so quickly, if it's an airship it was able to reach Lulusia in moment's notice, and if it is a homing weapon then no one is safe.

The second theory is that this is a display of Im's power alone, which is even more terrifying. It would also explain that creature that was so big it made Thriller Bark look like a rubber ducky in the ocean. Im might be able to project its presence anywhere on earth in an instance, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I enjoyed Zoro being the obstinate first mate and using cold hard logic against Luffy and co.'s brash behaviour.  He did the same when Usopp decided to leave the crew back in Water 7 and also when he took Luffy's pain on Thriller Bark. A real G through and through like always.

Jewel Bonney was saved by the heartless Kaido and also seemed to be quite familiar with Mariejoa, so my guess is that she's a former Tenryuubito or affiliated with someone powerful. Since we know Akainu gets a hard on for killing any pirate or person he doesn't like on sight. I can't wait to see what reveals she makes next chapter since she interacted with the Revolutionaries during the reverie and I'm 99% certain her true form is that of the elderly woman, not the kid or "prime" version of herself we've seen.

Honestly, I hope a meeting between Kaido and Luffy will be happening soon, as I've been waiting to see bloodlusted Luffy now that he's gotten some OP upgrades. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:48 AM, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

Indeed...

Hide contents

First thing's first. Im's divine judgment, what a ridiculous display of power. I know that Sabo is alive unless those lasers were infused with haki or seastone energy, I'm pretty sure this was done by Uranus— one of the ancient weapons. I wouldn't surprise me that Im itself has control over it and maybe it was reinvented by Vegapunk. The crazy part is how it was able to mete out punishment so quickly, if it's an airship it was able to reach Lulusia in moment's notice, and if it is a homing weapon then no one is safe.

The second theory is that this is a display of Im's power alone, which is even more terrifying. It would also explain that creature that was so big it made Thriller Bark look like a rubber ducky in the ocean. Im might be able to project its presence anywhere on earth in an instance, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I enjoyed Zoro being the obstinate first mate and using cold hard logic against Luffy and co.'s brash behaviour.  He did the same when Usopp decided to leave the crew back in Water 7 and also when he took Luffy's pain on Thriller Bark. A real G through and through like always.

Jewel Bonney was saved by the heartless Kaido and also seemed to be quite familiar with Mariejoa, so my guess is that she's a former Tenryuubito or affiliated with someone powerful. Since we know Akainu gets a hard on for killing any pirate or person he doesn't like on sight. I can't wait to see what reveals she makes next chapter since she interacted with the Revolutionaries during the reverie and I'm 99% certain her true form is that of the elderly woman, not the kid or "prime" version of herself we've seen.

Honestly, I hope a meeting between Kaido and Luffy will be happening soon, as I've been waiting to see bloodlusted Luffy now that he's gotten some OP upgrades. 

I think that it was implied that Lulusia was already going to be targeted and Sabo happened to be there coincidentally. 

d68e2d5e1825695905453d9a73f79d83.png

Edited by Sacr3D
4 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

The twist:

Hide contents

Vegapunk will have clones/variants of herself. young, old, male, cyborg ish like Franky.

THIS!

Spoiler

The fact that Oda made sure to note that her speech patterns were that of an old timer makes me believe either these are M. Bison~esque host bodies— hence the Punk 02 classification. Why would they want to risk any danger to their real and possibly decrepit form anyway?  Although Oda has made false silhouettes before in the past (like Kaido pre-timeskip) I'm pretty sure Vegapunk was named as a man.

Dr. Vegapunk also spoke about the robo-shark as if they failed to manipulate the Lineage Factor to take  away its base shark-like nature. I think there are 2 possible origins of this character.

1. Vegapunk is just a pure genius who somehow figured the nature of Devil Fruits and ancient tech on his/her own and made elaborations on it.

2. Vegapunk is one of the few survivors of the Void Century and witnessed the past tech of that lost civilization. The same civilization responsible for the world-ending tech as well as the Devil Fruits and what we're seeing is not technology that is 500 years ahead but 500 years from the past that got lost to history. 

Jewellery Bonney could also be using her ability to de-age Vegapunk as well, since I still believe her true form is that of an old woman like we saw on Mariejoa.

And in 2 weeks, we'll finally, hopefully get what I've been waiting for all these years, a definite explanation behind Devil Fruits and their origin. 

Glorious! 

Honestly this took me by surprise.

Spoiler

I knew we would have to address Vegapunk eventually but I didn't think the Straw hats would have that be the very next arc after Wano. Makes sense but I figured it would be a simple Vegapunk is at such and such place as a side conflict. Also given how close the Marines are Luffy will probably hear about Koby and Blackbeard real soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as expected...

Spoiler

Vegapunk has split his self into multiple parts, but I'm guessing his true self is probably in stasis to preserve his life. He might be too old or exhausted to do any serious grunt work.

Photonic gloves seem like a nice hint of future tech against *certain* adversaries. Franky or Nami could make good use of that weapon. So far Vegapunk's island has lived up to expectations, I can see why Vegapunk split himself as well, he's probably ridiculously lonely on top of being busy. 

It's crazy that the WG/Im have found the greatest genius too much of a liability to keep alive. I guess Im finally got the weapon to end all weapons, or has found another scientist willing to do much more dark research even Vegapunk was against. Unfortunately this kind of move will unwittingly push Vegapunk to the side of the Mugiwaras. 

Luffy being on the cusp of Gear 5 after being duped with the holographic food was funny... I wonder if he can actually transform that easily now or that was just a comedic effect?

What's crazier is finding out Bonney is Kuma's daughter,  I was totally wrong in thinking she was actually an old woman. What makes this confusing is why Akainu rescued her from Wesley-Snipesbeard  when normally he would eradicate all pirates on the spot. This makes me believe that Dragon and Kuma might have a kinship of sorts in that they had relations with Celestial Dragon women or something (essentially making Bonney royalty by birth). Because I can't think of a reason Akainu— who has sanctioned the nuking of islands and killed his own soldiers for desertion would let Jewelry Bonney, daughter of one of the leaders of the Revolutionary Army and a notorious pirate free. 

Curiouser and curiouser...

Spoiler
2 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

It's crazy that the WG/Im have found the greatest genius too much of a liability to keep alive.

Nah- it's seems like a classic "they've learned too much" move.  Im really doesn't need Punk's help to stay on top, so Punk was only ever going to be safe as long as Im wouldn't feel threatened by him/them. 

2 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

What makes this confusing is why Akainu rescued her from Wesley-Snipesbeard  when normally he would eradicate all pirates on the spot.

Keeping any strong devilfruit away from Blackbeard is a win for the World Government, and having Bonney in custody would probably be useful leverage against the Revolutionary Army given Kuma's background.  At the very least, Akainu seems like he'll usually go through the motions of putting captured pirates on trial before he executes them.  Hell, maybe he wanted to stage a public execution for Bonney to lure out the RA like then did with Ace and WB?

5 hours ago, Reticently said:
  Hide contents

Nah- it's seems like a classic "they've learned too much" move.  Im really doesn't need Punk's help to stay on top, so Punk was only ever going to be safe as long as Im wouldn't feel threatened by him/them. 

Keeping any strong devilfruit away from Blackbeard is a win for the World Government, and having Bonney in custody would probably be useful leverage against the Revolutionary Army given Kuma's background.  At the very least, Akainu seems like he'll usually go through the motions of putting captured pirates on trial before he executes them.  Hell, maybe he wanted to stage a public execution for Bonney to lure out the RA like then did with Ace and WB?

Spoiler

That would make sense except it doesn't appear that Jewelry Bonney was ever imprisoned afterwards, more like rescued and sent on her merry way considering she was able to infiltrate Mariejoa with surprising ease on her own. Also Akainu's temperament in that scene was one more of familiarity than utter contempt like he displays with nearly everyone else. It would be unusual for Oda to show such a scene and have Bonney magically escape without her mentioning it in some way.

As for Kuma losing he personality, now that we know the Punks probably have fragments of Vegapunk's full personality, Kuma's personality is probably deeply supressed a la "The Sunken Place" in Get Out than deleted.

8 hours ago, Reticently said:

So are we going to get to see that thing at the end, or are we only going to find out what happened once the Strawhats finally bump into one of the people involved again?

If you go by history of how Oda does things, you know the answer.

Spoiler

I see Law like Sabo as too popular to get done in off panel, but he is definitely going to be giving up some of his crew or the his copies to escape. I can't see Blackbeard taking him hostage unlike Koby and based on the cover story probably Pudding.

Spoiler

Van Auger and Aokiji's team up was in the past, I still don't know Kuzan's agenda but I'm sure none of the crew still don't trust him.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Oda showed more of the fight between Schwarzbeard and his pirates. Law has definitely levelled up but I think we all know he won't be able to last for long, but a valiant effort especially by his North Blue crew who I thought would have to be completely carried by their captain. Law is likely more aware of Teach's Yami Yami no Mi's abilities than Ace which might be his only way to escape defeat... by fleeing that is.

Zoro and Brook serving as a vanguard for when the CP-0 arrive to assassinate Vegapunk is an exciting setup, I really want to see how a post-Wano Zoro handles them.

Speaking of which Vegapunk not only acknowledging he senses the end is near and being rather resigned to his fate is interesting. I wonder if he committed an actual transgression or just knew too much.

Bonney's ageing ability still intrigues me, it shows a possible future for old Luffy— which based on how much of his lifespan has been sacrificed throughout the series  I don't think he'll make it to 70. Awakened her ability can probably age inanimate objects similar to the Rust Rust fruit which would be pretty cool.

Bartholomew Kuma being of a certain special race? His physiology doesn't look distinct so I'm quite surprised by this. I thought the established races were more than enough but now there might be a brand new one is crazy.

A few things I wanted to talk about last chapter but didn't post in time:

- Oda solidifying that with enough Haki you can override certain abilities was good, since people were complaining how Kaido and Big Mom couldn't be affected by Law's Room which was unprecedented back then. To me it made sense but w/e...

- I found it interesting that the Kurohige Pirate captains all took abilities that made them more of what they already are, with Van Auger's teleportation ability being especially useful. I had Usopp pinned as his final opponent but he needs to level up beyond his observation haki, which he hasn't really definitively since Dressrosa.

- Teach's way of doing things is what makes him the most "piratey" pirate IMO. Even though he has the fate hax effect working in his favor he's also smart enough to position himself in the right places. If he gets the hand on those copies of the poneglyphs he might end up being the first to Laugh's Tale.

I know it would fuck up the narrative, but when the Navy found out about Law vs Blackbeard they should have decided to drop the hammer on them instead of backing off.  

Also, I'm starting to wonder if BB attacking Law head on is just a distraction to cover for some other shady moves?  Maybe the poneglyph tracings are going to get yoinked off Law's ship while all eyes are on the fight?  Then BB gets to walk away a winner without Law having to bite it. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Looks like this week is mostly about bringing the crew up to speed on subjects the audience has already kind of been clued in on.

After the seraphim confrontation, I'm kind of worried about what may have happened to Senor Pink off screen.

I mean we have seen powers more or less replicated before with the OG being alive.

Spoiler

I am now more concerned with how Jimbei will react. We saw how Bonnie reacted with a Pacifista that just looked like her dad, how does Jimbei react to a youthful looking creature, not sure if they are biological or not, that looks like him but maybe essentially a brain dead slave. I don't see that ending well for Vegapunk especially if he finds out it was made to attack his fellow crew mates. Vegapunk's prediction at the end of the last chapter maybe spot on.

2 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I mean we have seen powers more or less replicated before with the OG being alive.

Yeah, but it's a non-zero chance he was coerced in some unpleasant way to make it happen.  Not unlike what Kuma went through.

Or Vegapunk might have progressed to the point where they can just bang out DF powers sight unseen.  Which yeah- no wonder then that the Government needs to off them.

LORE PIECE!

So much to unpack this chapter that I have to read it one more time.  Seeing that ancient giant robot rocks because ever since the flashback with Nico Oliva and Ohara  revealing the lost advanced civilization  (still my top 5 OP chapters) I have been waiting too long  for Vegapunk's arrival. As I've been theorizing Vegapunk has been more or less discovering past tech from the forgotten past and using it as inspiration. The impressive part is that he has the knowledge and skills to use this knowledge to create his own tech or offshoot abilities. Shaka being Logic is probably the closest to his true self, and his words might be the truest intentions. His design looks vaguely inspired by something but I can't remember what...

It also seems like Vegapunk has more or less mastered the lineage factor as he can splice different races to create novel hybrids, also including devil fruit abilities and even latent skills like with the Jimbei seraphim knowing fishman karate. At first I thought it was only Zoans that could be mimicked since they are more biological in nature but now it seems even Paramecia abilities are possible. Logias and mythical DFs might have special properties to make them even more challenging to replicate and go beyond the standard rules of replication. In any case, having these seraphim present around the world and functioning as pseudo-Shichibukai presents an existential threat not only to our Strawhat superheroes  but the entire world. The game has changed because it's crazy how much harder, better, faster, and stronger than the previous Pacifistas due to having super-robust Lunarian physiology, hinting Lunarians are augmented beings themselves.

As for Vegapunk himself, it seems he's been able to divide his core biological functions into individuals, but essentially he's human after all. As we're near the end of the line I hope we'll get lucky and he'll unpack the whole mystery of the void century and the name of this mysterious island before CP-0 comes for him; I've waiting nearly 18 years for this epic discovery.

And as a final note, the combat abilities of a Fishman that can swim and utilize different materials as water is pretty broken and a fresh concept. Throwing "solid" metal or stone as if it was water can not be underestimated. I wonder when Jimbei and the seraphim make contact if there'll be a father and son relationship, well if its even alive and can sense emotion that is...

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*
17 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

LORE PIECE!

So much to unpack this chapter that I have to read it one more time.  Seeing that ancient giant robot rocks because ever since the flashback with Nico Oliva and Ohara  revealing the lost advanced civilization  (still my top 5 OP chapters) I have been waiting too long  for Vegapunk's arrival. As I've been theorizing Vegapunk has been more or less discovering past tech from the forgotten past and using it as inspiration. The impressive part is that he has the knowledge and skills to use this knowledge to create his own tech or offshoot abilities. Shaka being Logic is probably the closest to his true self, and his words might be the truest intentions. His design looks vaguely inspired by something but I can't remember what...

It also seems like Vegapunk has more or less mastered the lineage factor as he can splice different races to create novel hybrids, also including devil fruit abilities and even latent skills like with the Jimbei seraphim knowing fishman karate. At first I thought it was only Zoans that could be mimicked since they are more biological in nature but now it seems even Paramecia abilities are possible. Logias and mythical DFs might have special properties to make them even more challenging to replicate and go beyond the standard rules of replication. In any case, having these seraphim present around the world and functioning as pseudo-Shichibukai presents an existential threat not only to our Strawhat superheroes  but the entire world. The game has changed because it's crazy how much harder, better, faster, and stronger than the previous Pacifistas due to having super-robust Lunarian physiology, hinting Lunarians are augmented beings themselves.

As for Vegapunk himself, it seems he's been able to divide his core biological functions into individuals, but essentially he's human after all. As we're near the end of the line I hope we'll get lucky and he'll unpack the whole mystery of the void century and the name of this mysterious island before CP-0 comes for him; I've waiting nearly 18 years for this epic discovery.

And as a final note, the combat abilities of a Fishman that can swim and utilize different materials as water is pretty broken and a fresh concept. Throwing "solid" metal or stone as if it was water can not be underestimated. I wonder when Jimbei and the seraphim make contact if there'll be a father and son relationship, well if its even alive and can sense emotion that is...

Good analysis as always White Oda.

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4726/one-piece-chapter-1066

Spoiler

- I can't get over flashback Vegapunk's design lmao

-Saul is alive! It never felt to me like he truly hit the can since we would only see him being totally frozen but no death       confirmation. But it still feels so good to know that he's alive! Aokiji always did shady moves.

-Seeing Robin's happy expression gave me feels

-I guess present time Vegapunk took chunks out of his brain to make the 6 others? His whole design is so ridiculous. Oda never   ceases to amaze with his goofiness. You can definitely see that his design is based on a wild version of Einstein. 

-Elbaf is looking like the next destination in this final arc.

-Dragon already seems to have some insider knowledge about whatever secret the WG is holding since he's already adamant at destroying them. Was it because Clover told him stuff or something else happened?

Edited by Sacr3D

I haven't had a chance to say much due to my own work and personal projects butb

Spoiler

Vegapunks trule look somehow didn't surprise me. He literally has a galaxy big brain stuffed with knowledge. 

Knowing that Saul is alive was a wee bit of a surprise. At the same time, Aokiji isn't a cold blooded killer so freezing Saul may have been a way to stop Saul but not eliminate him. It's going to be a cathartic reunion for Robin when she sees Saul again. Manly tears may appear. DERESHISHISHI! 😂

I'm really enjoying how we're seeing the interwoven nature of the major players. Clover influenced Dragon which explains why he's had a desire to meet Robin and that she is more than just the sole survivor of Ohara. 

Man these chapters are beyond stuffed with info! Shouldn't be too long before we get that chapter on devil fruits, the void century, the meaning of D which all have to be connected! At least it's safe to assume that the advanced kingdom must be the kingdom of D. Perhaps they were hated/envied by the other kingdoms for their godlike (or shall we say Deity like) civilization and were struck down and labeled "devils" for their civilization? So much we still need to know! 

2 Chapter Recap

Spoiler

I never thought I'd get as emotional about Jaguar D. Saul being alive but I felt Robin's feels. I can't wait for the reunion. The library of Ohara's books will probably be disseminated to the world in future, upending all the efforts of the World Government which would be glorious to see. 

I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed that Vegapunk's abilities are partially attributed to a DF but it makes sense. He was clearly a genius beforehand anyway.

Like I expected Vegapunk is a perfectionist with his "failed" Devil Fruit being  99% copy of Kaido's was hilarious. Meanwhile, Caesar Clown is celebrating his garbage Smile fruits, the irony. His brain being cloned and gaining the experiences and knowledge of 6 individuals in pretty awesome, I think if this was a different manga this kind of thing would backfire hard with these clones turning on OG Vegapunk at some point but yeah. Logic aka Shakka is easily my favorite of his clones.

This robot being resurrected  after 200 years was probably a response to something involving Fishman island, I think it was programmed to attack the current descendants of those who attacked the advanced civilization since still have the same "lineage signature" as their ancestors. 

The concept of a power source being so advanced even Vegapunk can't comprehend it means that it might be a power that transcends scientific understanding. It might be transcendental in nature like Haki/ life force/ etc. or just a mini-sun, but we'll see.... 

I feel this arc will be instrumental in the Strawhats dealing with the Space Pirates/ Enel and the moon people, since they're definitely connected. 

6 minutes ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:
Spoiler

The concept of a power source being so advanced even Vegapunk can't comprehend it means that it might be a power that transcends scientific understanding.

To be fair, Oda has established that there are limits to Vegapunk's understanding.  It looks like lots of his inventions don't work out the way he planned.

He has more raw info than anyone else, but his synthetic comprehension seems to be in roughly the same tier as the other geniuses in the series (which is probably why he has a pattern of collaboration with people, including his clones).

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

To be fair, Oda has established that there are limits to Vegapunk's understanding.  It looks like lots of his inventions don't work out the way he planned.

He has more raw info than anyone else, but his synthetic comprehension seems to be in roughly the same tier as the other geniuses in the series (which is probably why he has a pattern of collaboration with people, including his clones).

Good point, like Judge Vinsmoke seems to have a finer-tuned understanding on manipulating the Lineage Factor than Vegapunk, at least in the past. Well knowing his brain ability definitely explains why Im finds him more of a liability.

• 2 weeks later...