Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Meanwhile Lucci with a new Awakened form. That allows him to keep up with Luffy. So much for this being a short fight.

Idk.  I kind of feel like Luffy wasn't taking the fight seriously yet.  Yeah, it's Gear 5- but Luffy was still using fairly straight forward simple striking attacks rather than going the full Looney Tunes like the late stage Kaido fight.  If Pigeon Guy actually pisses Luffy off any further over Sentomaru, or if it looks like the Strawhat crew is in any real danger, I think we're going to see Kizaru needing to save Lucci on the quick.

4 hours ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

Damn Oda did Sentomaru dirty getting one shotted like that. 

Meanwhile Lucci with a new Awakened form. That allows him to keep up with Luffy. So much for this being a short fight.

I would love it if Boa's clone rebelled because it falls in love with Luffy.

Spoiler

Lucci sure felt that Mole Pistol though. I don't think Lucci will last very long. Kizaru might be a problem though.

• 2 weeks later...

So much to unpack in the last 2 chapters, Lore Piece is maxing out. Gear 5 Luffy is showing even more ridiculous abilities.

Although subtle G5 Luffy producing functional glasses from his hair is next level. It makes me think that a Luffy with a full realization of his abilities will be able to produce objects and shape his environment to his liking... Which might mean physically mending the Red Line and easily "destroying" Fishman Island as predicted.

I loved how despite the impressive upgrade Lucci could barely hold on, even though he overwhelmed Sentomaru's defenses, a man Luffy couldn't even touch with Gear 2nd pre-timeskip. A true emperor. I can't wait to see arguably the second most theoretically broken DF user Kizaru fares against the Mugiwaras. 

S-Hawk is an interesting one, my guess is that they gave him the Supa Supa no Mi so he can still slice and dice without his replica sword and Daz Bones was a prisoner in Impel Down.  My theory is also that Vegapunk gave these artificial beings Lunarian physiology to make up for the fact that they can't utilize Haki, since Haki literally translates to "ambition" and they have none.  I will elaborate more later because the Lineage Factor is a very fascinating topic that will take some time to delve into.

Also, those WG agents that turned to stone from kid S-Hancock's  Mero Mero no Mi need to get their statues destroyed immediately...

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*

Lucci is such a damn hater...

Spoiler

Take the Rob, it's in your name. Can't take that Luffy is an emperor now. You MAD!

I wonder how much of Kuma's decisions are built in protocols and how much is him actually reacting to the current situation?

Elbaf, the fabled land of Usopp's dreams, I have no clue what to expect there. The last time we were privy to their society was during Big Mom's flashback.  I wonder how much has changed since those decades?

I have a feeling that Garp is going to wreck shop but his need to carry the rest of his Marines is going to work against him against bigger unscrupulous pirates like DocQ, sniper Van Auger and Muscleman Burgess. Garp may no be a pushover but this might be his limit.

Spoiler

It'll be funny if Blackbeard just hands Koby over.  BB usually backs down from surprise fights against top tier opponents, and we don't really know if he has a good reason to want to keep Koby anyway.  If he wouldn't fight Silvers Rayleigh over Boa Hancock's DF, I can't imagine he wants to fight Garp over Koby's nothing.

Although I guess there's a chance that the only reason he took Koby in the first place was to lure Garp out for some sort of ulterior purpose.

I would like the fight to be manga accurate. Just like vs Doflamingo, once Luffy attains his new form Lucci should get mollywhopped like in manga canon. They can extend the initial clash but once Luffy goes into high gear there should be no dispute that G5 Luffy is wrecking shop. One of the things I hate about the timeskip era anime are the hyper-extended forced trades and clashes that show Luffy or Zoro struggling when these moments never happened. It cheapens the moment and makes them look weaker.

Luffy's King Kong Gun obliterated Doflamingo's Heavenly Threads in the manga but in the anime it showed Luffy struggling for 3 minutes, which makes no sense because of how the attack works, this isn't a beam clash. Conversely, Kaido's Thunder Bagua in the manga utterly speed blitzed G4 Luffy before he could even move which showed how dominant he was, but the anime retcons things which takes away from the narrative quality. Those are my two cents anyway.

That said, that depiction of Luffy vs Lucc part deux is fantastic, mucho props to the creator.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Sacr3D said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not sure how I feel about the whole human cloning reveal. I'm getting Naruto Shippuden vibes...

I'm okay with it.  We've known Vegapunk would have something to do with that since WAY back when Sentomaru was name dropping him while commanding the Pacifista.

Plus it looks like it's going to pull a lot of minor loose ends back into story relevance (Weevil?).

2 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I'm okay with it.  We've known Vegapunk would have something to do with that since WAY back when Sentomaru was name dropping him while commanding the Pacifista.

Plus it looks like it's going to pull a lot of minor loose ends back into story relevance (Weevil?).

What does Weevil have to do with this?

Edited by Sacr3D
5 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Well, I'm guessing he might not be Whitebeard's kid by natural means, if you follow me.  Just speculation, of course, but it's hard to imagine family man Whitebeard casting his own kid aside.

I always thought he was just some kind of imposter using Whitebeard's name for fame but I guess now that I think about it Vegapunk seems to have everyone's Lineage Factor...

Edited by Sacr3D
4 hours ago, Reticently said:

So is Oda deploying Jerry Garcia so there's once again antagonists that clearly out rank Luffy for raw strength, or do you suppose he's not even particularly strong?

It's hard to say how strong they are now but I suspect that they were at least very strong in their prime. It takes a lot of power to be able to hold people like the Admirals on a leash. Then again maybe Imu is the one who is holding everything together. But now that I think about it, people don't talk a lot about the Gorosei and we never even heard them fighting even in Roger's era... at least from what we know so far. I'm also curious to know what their connection with Shanks is. If they're not intimidated by him, I guess it tells us a bit more about how strong they could be.

12 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

It's hard to say how strong they are now but I suspect that they were at least very strong in their prime. It takes a lot of power to be able to hold people like the Admirals on a leash. Then again maybe Imu is the one who is holding everything together. But now that I think about it, people don't talk a lot about the Gorosei and we never even heard them fighting even in Roger's era... at least from what we know so far. I'm also curious to know what their connection with Shanks is. If they're not intimidated by him, I guess it tells us a bit more about how strong they could be.

Not that this means everything in the One Piece world but we've seen the size of the Gorosei compared to Admirals and Shanks and they're larger than normal. I have a feeling their fealty to Im is due to being living relics of the Void Century, likely surviving due to Ope Ope no Mi.

I said this a far while back but Doflamingo's grand plot in Dressrosa was basically replicating the machinations of "Mariejoa's Secret Treasure" aka Im. Im clearly has immortality, Doflamingo wanted the same immortality via Law performing the surgery. Im has an entire kingdom with a central core of ultra-loyalists maintaining everything, Doffy had the same for the most part. Doflamingo's Ito Ito no Mi ability is basically the physical manifestation of the puppeteering people to do his bidding, Im has been doing with the World  Government and its allies for centuries.

Doflamingo was trying to copy Im's playbook but couldn't due to Strawhat (Joyboy)  Luffy aka "God's Natural Enemy", especially since Im's main factor of control is their complete anonymity. It seems even the Admirals and CP0 are completely unaware of Im's existence. This allows a level of passive control and tyranny of society Donquixote couldn't imagine, which made him a clear target.

How does this tie into the Gorosei? Their loyalty was probably rewarded with immortality and power ages ago, the Gandhi dude with the giant almost certainly Legendary sword likely wielded it at some point. Each of them probably has some governance over a quadrant of the OP world. For example, the blonde youngest one controls the North Blue, etc...  In any case, this doesn't have to mean they are as proficient at fighting as a Yonko, but I'm sure they're no slouches. 

The real problem is that a Gorosei's command to the Seraphim  supersedes all other instructions, making his presence incredibly dangerous by default.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:58 PM, Reticently said:

Well, I'm guessing he might not be Whitebeard's kid by natural means, if you follow me.  Just speculation, of course, but it's hard to imagine family man Whitebeard casting his own kid aside.

Oda did an amazing job of building up to this moment with Bad Future elderly Stussy.

Spoiler

Weevil is likely a Frankenstein's monster of cadavers and Whitebeard's lineage factor thrown in, making a  dumb monstrosity. Stussy probably got turned down by Whitebeard one too many times and decided to take matters into her own hands. 

The creation of Edward Weevil could've been done through a trade, her Lineage Factor to the scientists (which created her clone) for a "son" of Whitebeard. The son was most likely hastily created by the group since Stussy was insufferable and they wanted to be rid of her. 

It's interesting that Zoro sensed a trace of humanity in S-Hawk, meaning that in the future some Seraphim might develop a stronger sense of self that can override their programming. I wouldn't be surprised if meeting their originals could trigger that effect.

Kuma OG or S-Kuma could also "push" the mental-blocks out of the Seraphim too, who knows?...

PEAK PIECE!!!

I will try but still feel redoing the manga is dumb. It would be better to expand the franchise if you are doing live action and focus on some other facet of the big story. You could do a mostly original story with a young Garp or a number of Marines/pirates and probably get more folks since it could be stand alone plus lower budget costs with what powers or abilities are shown or having to worry about matching the main cast.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:14 PM, TheInfernoman said:

Still don't need this. No one asked for it. I don't care if it somehow turns out good I won't watch because I already have what I want in the manga and yes even the anime has its moments. 

100% Co-Sign...

I have not a single ounce of hope in this "Western modern audience" translation of a unique series like this ever being good in any way shape or form. CW/ Netflix-fied One Piece makes me shudder at the thought. 

The funny thing is an honest fanmade short would probably be more charming even with cheesy SFX and homemade costumes, because it'd be produced by people with a genuine understanding and passion for the series rather than this crap. Like I don't care if the Luffy's actor is Brazilian or w/e this isn't what makes One Piece beloved.

11 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

spreading fake news though?

Possibly to stay off the World Government radar while he's harboring high profile fugitives.

As for the action on Egghead Island itself, I'm a little annoyed that there's further layers of mystery and surprise when we're already set up for a high drama escape sequence.  Only thing I can figure right now is that Oda is stalling the crew so that he has more time to develop the Bonney-Kuma narrative.

Edited by Reticently
11 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5630/one-piece-chapter-1074

Hide contents

I really didn't expect Vivi and Wapol to be with Morgan. Why is Morgan spreading fake news though? I thought his whole shtick is to provide the truth.

Spoiler

Man has to eat, also you can potentially keep your sources safe by fudging the circumstances of what is reported. It being  something the government wants would help him as well given he is protecting Vivi and Wapol of all people. Now THAT is a story I want to get details on quick. 

Since we know that the real Vegapunk is in infant mode with Bonney, and the Pacifista are following orders that overrated the minor Vegapunks, doesn't that mean that they're getting orders now from one of the Five Elders?  

Wonder if the mystery opponent is one of the Five, or an agent conveying orders via snail.

Either way, I have a hard time buying that the Pacifista alone would pose much of a threat to Luffy and Zoro if they were to actually go all out.

YES! Just as predicted!

Spoiler

S-Hawk having the Supa Supa no Mi just like I predicted a while back since Daz Bones was imprisoned. This means that Crocodile's and Ivankov's abilities might've been copied as well.

Luffy and Zoro's disgust to eventual shaky compromise with Lucci and Kaku makes me feel a bit emotionally ambivalent. Lucci is a completely irredeemable mass murdering psychopath and if this wasn't OP I'd prefer if he was obliterated outright. If he had shown some acknowledgment of Luffy's Emperor status then gotten ordered around by Luffy and Zoro like a rented mule I'd be more willing, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for the traitor, I think maybe one of the Vegapunks has reached a state of super ego individuality, and only cares about itself over the group. I wonder if Vegapunk is in seastone cuffs and if this somehow turns off his ability and his connection to the hive mind? If it is, it's probably the one we least expect. The Plug Vegapunk guy hm...?

And now for the main event! Haki God Shanks. We knew Shanks was a Yonko but this is the first time in the manga where we've seen a fleet of loyalists. Kidd seems to be back for revenge but I  hope he has a solid gameplan since based on the dialogue he lost his arm before he even saw Shanks himself; and nothing Kidd showed during Wano gives me concern for Shanks and his core crew. I wonder if a haki-clad sword can resist the effects of electromagnetism from Kidd's DF though?

Please Goda, please show us the fight and not the aftermath! 🙏

5 hours ago, Reticently said:

Honestly, I think Kidd is just being used as a plot device here to give Shanks the poneglyph etching.  Basically what's going on with Law and Blackbeard, except the way it's happening makes Kidd look pretty dumb for thinking he has a shot of winning head on with no support.

I mean Kidd and Luffy are basically on par mentally... so yeah it makes absolute sense he would try to go another round, especially since he knows that he has to get to "We all know who the scarred man is now"  on the island or the books to proceed.

It does seem that way and hope that is not all they end up being. Oda built the three as being comparable for so long I had big expectations for these two besides being cautionary tales.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:
  Hide contents

Bets on who is the traitor is? 

Most likely seems to be Lilith, but maybe that's too obvious.

I'm interested in Sanji's fight.  He's the only one fighting a Pacifista solo (unless Nami sticks around to help), and without Intel on when they're vulnerable.