Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

12 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

S-Flamingo... Didn't Doflamingo use guns before?

Spoiler

I've been hearing this idea, and while nothing's impossible I have a feeling if Oda went that route then he'd most likely create an S-Bon Clay/ Bentham or a Seraphim with his ability especially for the WG's purposes.  It also makes me wonder if Shadowbeard would have the foresight to use Catarina Devon as an agent on his behalf to steal technology or knowledge?

I gotta give Oda credit, this one has me completely stumped.

6 hours ago, Reticently said:

Narrator telling us astounding events will happen "tomorrow" in the storyline pretty much guarantees that we'll be reading stuff that happens "today" for the next several months, right?

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/5672/one-piece-chapter-1078

Given that Wano took a year for just one night or something i'd say that's a given lol.

Also guess no one predicted that traitor eh

Edited by Sacr3D
Spoiler

HAKI GOD SHANKS!!!

I've waited years to see a moment like this. What I loved most about this chapter was that Shanks didn't take Kidd lightly and moved with absolute ruthlessness... and of course DIVINE DEPARTURE!!! I remember a debate on whether or not Shanks used diplomacy or just sheer threatening force to make Kaido and his crew retreat, and I guess we can confidently say he could easily use both if he so desired.

Also yeah, one of Blackbeard's lackeys is coming. I'm sure it's for either Vegapunk or his tech. 

Oh and mild spoilers but Toei just leaked their official New World OST for a certain Yonko this chapter:

Spoiler

Fuck that was brutal as hell.

I actually like Kidd so I hope he makes it. But never cared for his crew outside of Killer so if he has to form a new crew or merge with another group that is for the better.

Shit, I guess we won't have to wait for this arc to be over before we see Law vs BB resolution.

Damn chapter was short but impactful.

Now we finally know that when...

Spoiler

Garp was telling Sengoku to keep holding him down after witnessing Akainu unceremoniously murdered Ace or he'd kill him, we know he wasn't bluffing. Garp wasn't even looking tryhard when he used Galaxy Fist, dude threw that out while laughing without a care in the world.

Kujaku is no slouch, she could sense Pizarro's Island Island fruit ability, which is a pretty broken ability itself, making his ability even more OP than Pica's. I'm still curious about the Glug Glug fruit, if he's able to "drink" anything and recombine it or transmute substances through alcohol. It has some OP potential as well.

The Clay people might be their own race of genetically engineered. It's interesting since the Clay man with the 'Mingo jacket is also a DF user independent from his clay abilities.  This would be the weirdest unheard of race in One Piece by a mile.

Most of all, I'm curious to see Koby's inverse Rokushiki (i.e., he does Rankyaku with his hands and Shigan with his feet, etc.). We got hints of it before but I really like that concept. 

GODA still world building even when the series is near its completion...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HD-Man said:
  Hide contents

I still haven't gotten use to seeing Kuzan working under Blackbeard of all ppl. I figured hed leave the marines after the things he's seen in part 1, but I never expected his story to go that way

Spoiler

I am surprised Oda has written it to seem like a genuine turn. I figured maybe he was undercover like Drake but this chapter makes it seem like he really is at least partially down with Blackbeard on some sort of level.

8 minutes ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

I am surprised Oda has written it to seem like a genuine turn. I figured maybe he was undercover like Drake but this chapter makes it seem like he really is at least partially down with Blackbeard on some sort of level.

Spoiler

I figured after being disillusioned with the WG he'd go solo or join Dragon and Revolutionaries if anybody. He doesn't really seem to fit Blackbeard's crew but I'm sure Oda will break it down at some point as to why Kuzan took this path. Im enjoying the twist but its definitely perplexing lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 3:52 AM, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

Liked the chapter and all the pieces being moved but despite that T Bone getting merced off screen by a old starving man and a new metal arm waifu being added to the glorious cast... I can't believe I never put the idea of Chopper trying to eat Zeus together until I saw it in the cover image.  Shit had me rolling and I hope it gets animated somehow.

Playing catch-up here but I think T-Bone might've willingly sacrificed himself or went along with the scheme and faked his death. T-Bone was shown to be a compassionate soul in the past and he might've been conflicted with seeing all the mass starvation as well as the World Government turning a blind eye on their suffering and sought a way to balance the scales a bit.

As for this latest chapter...

Spoiler

Now we have God Knights?! I don't think that silhouette is Shanks like the rest of the interwebs are saying, but I do think Shanks has some relation to the Celestial Dragons/ Gorosei. He might be descended from noble stock and not the inbred Tenryuubito stock, but the type to inherit Conqueror Haki and be a part of these God Knight group.  I thought the Gorosei were the ones meant to protect Im on all fronts but maybe the God Knights are the last line of defense. 

I still wonder about Commander-In-Chief Kong, no mention about his prowess and past history in the story. I'm still curious as to how he fit into all this.

And dang, I really wanted Sabo to mention something about discovering Im with some more details. Hopefully we'll get more info next week...

The chapter feels like its supposed to be momentous, but I feel like not much really happened? 

Spoiler

A secret we already knew about got revealed to a character we already know is dead.

Unless Sabo somehow knows all this too, but it's pretty clear he's supposed to be off with Bonney while this all happened, so idk.

Edited by Reticently
18 hours ago, Reticently said:

The chapter feels like its supposed to be momentous, but I feel like not much really happened? 

Hide contents

A secret we already knew about got revealed to a character we already know is dead.

Unless Sabo somehow knows all this too, but it's pretty clear he's supposed to be off with Bonney while this all happened, so idk.

Spoiler

I think Sabo finds out about it. Since he is so shaken about the whole thing. He may not know that Imu seems to be Vivi's ancestor but he will probably see that whole myth of there being no absolute ruler is fake and Imu controls the five elders

21 hours ago, Reticently said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Well we get a better clue as to Imu is with the whole Arabasta lineage. Safe to say that Vivi will now be heavily involved in the story.

16 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

For those who watched the latest One Piece anime ep 1062. What do you think? As cool as the animation and fight was. I don't really like that it's not grounded in "One Piece Reality" . It's too much ... it's as crazy as DBZ it doesn't represent One Piece at all or what it should be.

The fight actually made more sense to me in terms of following the action then it did in the manga at spots. However, I do agree in many ways it was gone from physical duels to beam spamming and insane mystical feats. 

I do have to say I am glad they gave Zoro and Sanji's big moments such decent budgets, even if I am not a fan of the constantly glowing swords. 

On 5/21/2023 at 7:42 PM, Sacr3D said:

For those who watched the latest One Piece anime ep 1062. What do you think? As cool as the animation and fight was. I don't really like that it's not grounded in "One Piece Reality" . It's too much ... it's as crazy as DBZ it doesn't represent One Piece at all or what it should be.

Yes! I've been saying this since post-Dressrosa. Too many flourishes and extended cuts ruins the visceral nature of the attacks. The seizure-filled special effects are blinding, distracting and borderline nonsensical at times. One Piece is a bit more gorunded and doesn't need all these auras and fluff. When we do see haki manifesting in black lightning and extra stuff like that it looks epic because you feel the characters had to reach a really high level just to manifest these effects.

If Zoro and Luffy can just generate DBZ SSJ auras casually it doesn't feel like One Piece. Hell, we didn't even see Zoro's direct attack that finished King, which in the manga was an epic ranged slash that sliced through King's Imperial Dragon. In the anime it's just blinding explosive flashes to the aftermath.

Look at Zoro vs Pica and tell me if this isn't more visually grounded while still being epic?

Also I've been mulling over the latest chapter and I think regarding a certain ancestor...

Spoiler

I obviously have no hard clues to believe it, but I think Lili isn't Imu as many are suspecting. I think she may have been the OG Ope Ope no Mi user who was forced/ cajoled into doing the operation to give Imu their immortality, probably with some threat to her kingdom. Her sacrifice is may be why Alabasta was allowed to retain some of their sovereignty and remain prosperous for centuries. Imu might be a bit sentimental (in their own callous way) as Lili's sacrifice allowed them to retain power over the world.

This also coincides with Doflamingo trying to replicate Imu's gameplan but on a much smaller scale, he needed Law to willingly sacrifice himself with the special operation to grant him immortality as well. 

Also it just dawned on me that Imu is "Umi" backwards.  I know that "umi" means sea in Japanese, which means we might've seen Imu's presence pre-timeskip and didn't even realize it...

T5Lov7WneSh-eHTMb4mVb2oS233aPPANhzGZO1S9

A veritable force of nature.

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*
Spoiler

DAWKNESSbeard! It all makes sense! In the original translations of the Ace v. Blackbeard chapter pre-timeskip Teach said  to Ace that unlike the other fruits the Yami Yami no Mi came from "The Devil Itself".  Once I saw Imu's form and demonic projections everything made sense. The Flame and the Darkness have squared off once again!  I've been saying that Voidbeard has been lead by an ominous "fate" for ages now, and that he might not be the final enemy but just an agent of this mysterious force, which is now clearly Imu. The translation note also stated that when Imu referred to itself as "Mu" in the 3rd person it corresponded to void/ nothingness aspect of the Yami Yami no Mi. Imu might've created that fruit for the sole purpose to have its bidding done without getting their hands dirty, and Xebec was just another unwitting agent.  Marshall D. Teach and Rocks D. Xebec both have/had their own dreams but were likely being manipulated in their own way. 

Also remember the period of time known as the "Void Century" where 100 years of history was erased? The motif of the enemy of dreams and freedom being an absence is quite apparent to me now.  Forget history, forget truth, forget the throne, forget the ONE PIECE...

The first chapter of One Piece... Romance Dawn.

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*
Spoiler

Damn that was a great chapter!

I am disappointed Imu is not Lilly because that would have been a cool twist to lock Vivi in for the final arc besides killing her pops. Her being among the D. family is nice too. 

Fucking Wapol being a witness plus accidentally saving Vivi while running away makes no sense but is hilarious and brilliant. I do want to get back to the Strawhats but I hope we get another chapter or two explaining things such as how Wapol and Vivi got to Morgans or Dragon and  Ivankov's response to finding out about what went down in front of the throne and how that effects their plans.

Spoiler

Imu went HOW LONG without getting found out, then gets found out by 3 separate people within the space of  like 5 minutes, lol.

I'd hate to be the occupational safety guy at the palace who has to reset the count on the "It has been X number of days since the last time the dark secret behind the government was spilled" sign in the break room.

13 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:
  Hide contents

DAWKNESSbeard! It all makes sense! In the original translations of the Ace v. Blackbeard chapter pre-timeskip Teach said  to Ace that unlike the other fruits the Yami Yami no Mi came from "The Devil Itself".  Once I saw Imu's form and demonic projections everything made sense. The Flame and the Darkness have squared off once again!  I've been saying that Voidbeard has been lead by an ominous "fate" for ages now, and that he might not be the final enemy but just an agent of this mysterious force, which is now clearly Imu. The translation note also stated that when Imu referred to itself as "Mu" in the 3rd person it corresponded to void/ nothingness aspect of the Yami Yami no Mi. Imu might've created that fruit for the sole purpose to have its bidding done without getting their hands dirty, and Xebec was just another unwitting agent.  Marshall D. Teach and Rocks D. Xebec both have/had their own dreams but were likely being manipulated in their own way. 

Also remember the period of time known as the "Void Century" where 100 years of history was erased? The motif of the enemy of dreams and freedom being an absence is quite apparent to me now.  Forget history, forget truth, forget the throne, forget the ONE PIECE...

The first chapter of One Piece... Romance Dawn.

Spoiler

I don't know if those are demonic projections if you're referring to the 5 silhouettes because I'm pretty sure that's just Oda not wanting to show us how the Gorosei really look like when transformed. Prolly all having eaten some special Zoan fruits. But it's kind of hard to say. The fruit might also have some parasitic feature that could buff the Gorosei with some void like properties...

11 hours ago, Sacr3D said:
  Hide contents

I don't know if those are demonic projections if you're referring to the 5 silhouettes because I'm pretty sure that's just Oda not wanting to show us how the Gorosei really look like when transformed. Prolly all having eaten some special Zoan fruits. But it's kind of hard to say. The fruit might also have some parasitic feature that could buff the Gorosei with some void like properties...

Whoops I forgot to edit that part to be more specific. I mostly agree with you, it seems...

Spoiler

That all the Gorosei are either mythical Zoans or maybe something even greater? But the devil tail seems like it was directly from Imu.  But yeah they are intentionally silhouetted, I find the Samurai Gorosei dude the most interesting because it seems he has the awakened clouds around his neck but still looks human, could be another mythical human Zoan, and I guess we'll see JayGarcia's abilities soon...