Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

Spoiler

Despite the break, there's much to unpack here. We see the commander of God's Knights but how many are there? We also see each of the 5 elders holds a specific title (was that a thing before?) I do agree that Negrobeard may appear to be the final boss, but these recent chapters really define that the endgame isn't what we thought it would be. Imu gotta be the true last boss right? 

On 6/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, TheInfernoman said:
  Hide contents

Despite the break, there's much to unpack here. We see the commander of God's Knights but how many are there? We also see each of the 5 elders holds a specific title (was that a thing before?) I do agree that Negrobeard may appear to be the final boss, but these recent chapters really define that the endgame isn't what we thought it would be. Imu gotta be the true last boss right? 

Spoiler

I don't see how this doesn't become a world war situation with three or more forces going all in on each other. The work to set up Blackbeard as Luffy's rival is so damn strong I can't see him not being the last fight, but Imu and the corrupted WG are not the sort I see being defeated early on without the world drastically shaking up. Maybe Blackbeard joins up with them but he doesn't seem the type.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally have some time to process this chapter.

First off, R.I.P. Saint Donquixote Mjosgard, one of the good things. What some may miss about his actions in saving Shirahoshi is that he knew of the consequences as everyone is away of the internal court system that exists for celestial dragons. The elevates his sacrifice significantly since he knew his fate was sealed the moment he colluded. 

The Gorosei's names are finally revealed but what I found most interesting are their roles.  Do their appointed titles hint at their actual understanding of these areas of expertise or just their roles as "Warriors" in annihilating anything that threatens those areas. Science Warrior God Saturn is clearly going to deal with Vegapunk  but will he be able to recognize the science he developed? If he can then it would tell us, the audience, that these men were definitely around either before or a little after the Void Century. This would also confirm that they certainly had the life extension surgery over time as well— a gift for their undying loyalty.

The "Mother Flame" and Lunarian flame trait is not a coincidence. It's clear that this was the advanced power source the ancients had and likely incorporated into themselves, hence their invulnerability when the flame is alight. Dr. Vegapunk was most likely coerced into creating/rediscovering it under the naïve belief that it would be a power source to help mankind. Little did he know the Gorosei had other plans. That weapon might be Uranus

Figarland Garling looks pretty badass even with that ridiculous hairdo. It wouldn't be surprising if he was Shanks' father as they share the same last name, but his age is ambiguous, especially since he was the former king of God Valley.  His sword reminds me of Shanks which makes me wonder about the other God Knights, as we might be seeing more Figarlands in their squad.  Another interesting point is Shanks' unique "future killer" Haki ability that prevents people from using Observation Haki properly. This might be  something unique to his Figarland heritage and might hint that his bloodline might be unique among the Celestials, hence why  he and Garling don't look like inbreeds like the rest. 

Lastly, did anyone else find it weird that S-Crocodile still had their stitches (and most likely a missing hand still) and S-Mingo wears glasses? lol   Also S-Crocodile's gender looks slightly ambiguous, I remember Ivankov doing a favor for "Croco-boy" that he didn't want repeated out loud. 

On 6/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, Reticently said:

I thought they changed their mind on how that translated, and updated it to "the man who distinguished himself at God Valley" or something like that.

Oh if that's true then it changes a lot. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the live action...

I hope Oda is getting a bag for this bullsh*t live action show, because that's the only good I can see coming from this. One Piece is one of those manga/ anime that doesn't lend well to live action adaptation because it requires a huge amount of suspension of disbelief to pull off in a real world setting. I think for my mental well being I will just have to pretend it doesn't exist like the live action Cowboy Bebop and Death Note (I plan to never see them, ever).

Also not a big fan of the overdone meta-commentary "modern" writing— like deconstructing calling out the names for special attacks. Yeah we get it, in real world it's superfluous  to announce the name of your attack but that's why we like it. We don't read manga/ watch anime for realism but for escapism. These "modern" writers think they're edgy by pulling down conventions in order to pat themselves on the back for recognizing them. I'm sure the series will be littered with stupid, insufferable quips like this to fill in any absence in actual plot development and pad runtime. 

Can't wait to see body-positive Alvida who never changes her figure after eating the Sube Sube no Mi to avoid "fat shaming" and other BS...

• 4 weeks later...

Aww here we go again...

Spoiler

Garp-san did an Ace to save the heir-apparent Koby, I kinda feared that happening since Garp decided on saving him. I really hope Koby steps up his game this arc and I'm surprised Oda is still not showcasing his abilities.  It's interesting that Observation haki works in different ways for different users. Some can see the future, some can feel emotions/voices of others, some can see auras, and some can see through illusions. Koby seems to be the empath type.

Oda has established an important distinction for us this chapter. Haki and Devil Fruit users are put in a similar category of  being "special" i.e., Haki isn't just an extension of one's self but a technique that is distinct from pure brawn. We saw this with Rokushiki and Douriki power scaling but this is the first time Oda has showed us that honing one's body and cultivating Haki (aka ambition) are distinct. It's also why I loved when Luffy OHKO'd that giant panther Bacura on Amazon Lily the Amazons noted that it was amazing that Luffy wasn't even using Haki send him flying into the arena.

That training montage also showed Kuzan's dedication and respect for Garp and showed that Garp earned his ability not just being a freak of nature like Big Mom and Kaido from birth. I think the respect Garp has earned will probably mean other Marines will be coming to his aid, possibly Sengoku.

Also important is that we don't know the exact timeline of when these events are occurring. It could be that Voidbeard is on his way back with his core captains, which might spell doom for some of the Marines. 

Lastly, what's insane is that Garp sent the gigantic SanJuan Wolf flying miles from the island with an attack! Utterly insane when you think that this guy made Marineford look like a large playground set. 

6837810-2969278556-6pnqr.jpg

2 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:
  Hide contents

Ya'll think Garp is truly gone? Also mad props to seeing Koby really training to be so strong. 

Spoiler

No body, no death. They made a note to mention he disappeared after the BB pirates beat him. I'd imagine if he was outright dead they'd say it and we'd know 100%. Oda kinda leaving his fate up in the air incase

Plus, Saul ended up living after a similar situation with Aokiji so im leaning 90% to Garp being alive (for now)

Edited by HD-Man

Exceeding expectations...

Spoiler

It's interesting that Koby's technique basically looks like one giant Shigan in terms of effect. Pretty cool, although I'm not a big fan of the name. As for him holding back it fits his character since he's and observational haki empath and has that Peter Parker morality. He didn't go all out to even protect his life, it took the endangerment of all the civilians to push him to the limit.  I still want to see his full fighting style though, we've been denied that for a minute.

Garp's attack was awesome and I notice that Aokiji intentionally froze his wound shut. I'm certain this was done as a mercy rather than anything strategic, meaning he might really be a double agent going very dark. So yeah, Garp definitely lives.

22 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

I'm going to be fair with this one. The casting for Zoro, Koby and Mihawk look pretty convincing... and that's the only positive thing I have to say.

They made Gol D. Roger look lame AF and the actor is delivering his lines like this is a Shakespearian play at a city hall theatre. There is no gravitas to the moment before his execution.  It's too early to measure chemistry but I didn't feel any between the cast, just them kinda phoning it in.  The special effects and choreography did nothing for me either and Arlong looks like a joke. But the greatest sin of all is Luffy. The actor doesn't do it for me at all, I'm sure he's trying but I don't feel Luffy's energy. 

Funnily enough, I've seen the live attraction One Piece in Tokyo Tower years ago and those actors looked more convincing as the Mugiwaras without the big budget and special effects. 

19 hours ago, Sacr3D said:
  Hide contents

So what the hell is happening with this huge earthquake around the whole world? Is it an after effect of the destruction of Lulusia or something else?

Spoiler

It's highly likely to be the repercussions of using what's likely similar to Pluton or Uranus  (heck it might actually be a reproduction of Uranus) . This would also explain why the One Piece world has all sorts of environmental aberrations that we treat as a normal part of their wacky world (e.g., weird magnetic fields for islands, the Red Line, Calm Belt, etc.)  but due to the Void everyone has forgotten. Even Imu seems to be surprised by this event, which I find quite interesting. 

This makes me want to know more about this Mother Flame and how it relates to everything. An infinite power source, did the Lnarians put this flame in their lineage factor making them the godlike beings they were?

I love how the Straw Hats totally mollywhopped their adversaries, but I'm still curious how they handled the Seraphims? Did they thoroughly beat them or did they capture Gluttony and force her to give commands to release them from their duties? 

Lucci is the background was an unwelcome surprise... after all he's still a hater and mass murderer who admitted he'll kill the Straw Hats if he ever gets the opportunity and won't acknowledge Luffy's boss mode Yonko status. But I'm intrigued where his character arc will go from here. 

Another break Goda WHHHHHYYYY??!!!! ;_;

Having watched the episode before and the most recent one where Gear 5th is debuts... I ain't like it.

Spoiler

What turns me off isn't even the change in art style for second half of that episode to something more abstract cartoon. That I was fine with that as I doubt they keep it up with that particular look.

My problem is that they showed Luffy's bounding on the ground and dancing scene at least three times. That slow ass build up after you show his partial transformation the episode before was the most obvious time filling move they have done in a major episode in what feels like forever. Hope next episode doesn't have to resort to more of those techniques.

I wasn't surprised by the reused animation scenes, the framerate issues, and extra fluff added, it was a bit distracting but overall I still enjoyed seeing G5 Luffy being wacky and uninhibited. Hopefully next episode will be different and actually show the fight relatively uninterrupted. I miss the the pre-timeskip days where fights scenes were all razzle-dazzle and incoherent but actually felt like a real physical engagement a la Luffy vs Lucci though.  

I usually don't care to look at One Piece theory channels since they tend to go all the way out to left field with their fan theories or recycle old theories and pretend they're new.:coffee: But this one caught my eye since it's from a Japanese youtuber who's apparently using an AI voice translator for his channel. He makes some very intriguing comparisons between ancient Western and Eastern mythology, and Oda's primary source of inspiration of One Piece was Viking/pirate/Celtic lore. I implore you to take a look when you have the time:

It might be that...

Spoiler

My theory that One Piece/ Laugh Tale is the fever dream/ imagined reality of a person like the finale of Big O is true after all...

Man that G5 episode was one of the worst thing I've seen. The animation reuse, the pacing, the incomprehensible action. The part where Kaido does a blast breath and then Luffy starts... floating or wtvr the fuck in mid air with some really wacky ass music felt so forced and out of touch. This is why I dropped the anime a long time ago. And this shit is getting progressively worse.

1 hour ago, Sacr3D said:

Man that G5 episode was one of the worst thing I've seen. The animation reuse, the pacing, the incomprehensible action. The part where Kaido does a blast breath and then Luffy starts... floating or wtvr the fuck in mid air with some really wacky ass music felt so forced and out of touch. This is why I dropped the anime a long time ago. And this shit is getting progressively worse.

You are not wrong but the several of the other episodes prior to this were actually good to great. It is a bit shocking for such a momentous event the episode suddenly falters but I guess the style required may have caught the animation teams involved a bit out of sorts. Hoping like others said they get better by the next episode... cause we probably still have a few more episodes before Wano wraps up with that last attack. 

Spoiler

Not surprised Lucci is a snitch but definitely disappointed. 

Luffy accidentally  charming S Snake into helping is hilarious and I love it.

It is a bit of a shocker that we are not getting a full flashback as to what happened since we last saw the crew and when we came back. Given we end on Kizaru attacking Sentomaru, I don't think Oda is going to cut away like he normally would do for big flashbacks and we likely are going to get small ones like with S Snake as thr siege goes forward.

I wonder how this all plays out. The plan they came up with is too neat to go off like they intend 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:
  Hide contents

a legit 1 v1 against an admiral!? LET'S GO!

As soon as ...

Spoiler

Luffy said he's 100 times stronger than he was at Shabondy I remembered what Shakky said when talking about Rayleigh. EPIC!  Yellow Monkey vs D. Monkey!!!

Future Sight vs The Speed of Light!

Also, it seems these Vice Admirals actually mean business and won't be fodder either. I liked the short expansion on Sentomaru's relationship with Vegapunk and Kizaru. With the PX's now back in the WG's possession it's going be more of a fight.

Last and least, Lucci's being bitchmade again proves a leopard truly cannot change its spots. I hope Zoro can finally put him out of his misery with a decapitation. 

Now on to more Lore Piece that I wanted to get to weeks ago—

The fact that even emotions like love (e.g., S-Snake crushing on Luffy) can carry through the Lineage Factor hearkens back to earlier when Lilith was complaining that the Cyber-seakings still retained their bestial instincts despite being controlled, their intrinsic nature remains strong. Judge Vinsmoke  also sought to eliminate the humanity out of his brood's Lineage Factor with Sanji's being his "failure"  This hints that it's possible that The Will of D  is something that can carry through indirect family lines, even though the original concept of that will has been lost to history.  Essentially meaning as long as the desire for freedom exists in these individuals, The Will of D  will never cease to be.